PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stove League show report

Chip R
01-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 1-4-06. Steve Stewart was the host tonight. Steve said John Fay would call in later so that should please you if you are a Reds fan (Why? Is he announcing his retirement?)

After commercial Steve mentioned the Pirates signed Jeremy Burnitz and the Dodgers and Mets made a trade with Jae Seo and Tim Hamulak going to L.A. and Duaner Sanchez and Steve Schmole going to N.Y. and Baltimore signed Jeff Conine.

John Fay called in and Steve asked him about Rich Aurilia. Fay said he gets the sense Rich will re-sign with the Reds since he would get more of an opportunity to play here than elsewhere. He said the only thing that might change that is if someone wanted him to be their starting SS or 2B. He said he'd be surprised if Rich weren't re-signed. Steve asked Fay what Rich's role would be besides insurance for Encarnacion. Fay agreed and said that the Reds won't say that but that would be a reason they would bring him back. Fay said that EE had his moments last year but he is very inexperienced and only 23 and it wouldn't hurt him to spend more time in the minors. (And that solves what, exactly?) He said it opens up a lot of possibilities where Freel could go to 3rd and Rich plays 2nd but Narron played Rich a lot at 3rd last year. He said Rich may not get as much playing time as he wants (Oh, you think so, Doctor?) Steve said he was a good clutch hitter last year. Fay agreed and said he's a different hitter than Freel and Womack since he has more power and can hit in the middle of the order. He said that he may play some 1st base since they don't have a true backup there. Steve said that assuming EE plays well enough to make the club it will be a moving target for Narron to fill out the lineup card every day since Freel can play OF and Aurilia and Womack can play other positions as well. (2006: The Year of the Crappy Utility Infielders) Fay said last year before some injuries Narron would spot EE against certain pitchers and he did well then but struggled when he had to play every day. (I'm speechless) Fay thinks EE is the 3B of the future and will come through and play well but it's anyone's guess whether it will be this year or after that.

The first caller said they didn't understand where this team is headed with signing Womack and Aurilia and Freel not being able to start. Fay said that if you talk to the Reds they will say that they believe Freel is better when he doesn't play every day. He said their overall philosophy is that they are trying to build around younger players but they are a much better team with Rich. He said Womack has to play like he did 2 years ago and not like last year. (Thank you, Captain Obvious) Fay said that things could change in a few weeks when new ownership is brought in. He thinks the offseason was somewhat on hold because of that.

The next caller asked if new ownership would sign a front line pitcher. Fay said there isn't a whole lot to choose from now. The best one out there is Jeff Weaver and he's no sure thing for the money they would pay him. He thinks one of the OFers could still be traded. The caller asked whether Kearns would be traded for a pitcher. Fay said it was possible but it isn't going to be a top line pitcher. The caller asked if the Reds would sign a closer. Fay said that the Moneyball credo says you don't pay big money for a closer. He said Weathers was pretty successful last year and the Reds are high on Coffey. Fay said based on last year's numbers that Coffey probably won't be a good closer but if he can regain his splitter he can be a lot better. Steve mentioned Wagner. Fay said he has the stuff to do it but he's still pretty young. He has a great GB to FB ratio and he could come around but no one's counting on him.

After commercial the next caller asked if Jose Contreras could be had in a trade. Fay said he's a vast improvement over what we have but questions whether you give up prospects for him. He said unless payroll goes up a lot the Reds will have to develop their own. He said if he could be had for Pena he'd do it.

Thus endeth the Hot Stove League show report for 1-4-06. So let it be written. So let it be done.

Heath
01-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Chip, thank you for your transcription. I'm sorry you had to listen to that drivel without getting paid.

I can't find the brake on this train that seems to be running away.

Falls City Beer
01-04-2006, 09:05 PM
After commercial the next caller asked if Jose Contreras could be had in a trade. Fay said he's a vast improvement over what we have but questions whether you give up prospects for him.

The Reds have prospects?

pedro
01-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks Chip.

KronoRed
01-04-2006, 09:19 PM
The Reds have prospects?
EE is apparently available :bang:

Thanks Chip :)

Nugget
01-04-2006, 10:25 PM
He said that he may play some 1st base since they don't have a true backup there.

What about JV - he's supposedly lighting it up in winter ball playing 1B. I take it that since it is the offseason all these guys do is read a bit of what is on mlb.com and sit in on a few talk shows. Being an out of towner the best place for information is definitely Marc Lancaster.

RFS62
01-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Chip, thank you for your transcription. I'm sorry you had to listen to that drivel without getting paid.

I can't find the brake on this train that seems to be running away.

No kidding. Chip, you should be getting hazardous duty pay.

Chip R
01-04-2006, 10:52 PM
I felt like doing this :bang: pretty much throughout the broadcast.

Nugget, he did mention Javy as a backup but I just didn't mention him cause I really don't consider him a legit backup at 1st.

SirFelixCat
01-05-2006, 02:11 AM
I felt like doing this :bang: pretty much throughout the broadcast.

Nugget, he did mention Javy as a backup but I just didn't mention him cause I really don't consider him a legit backup at 1st.

Thanks Chip. poor guy ;)

Ok, while I have not been as closely following this offseason as others past, tell me, have they settled on Dunn at 1B? Other than him and Valentin who else do we have? I really would not be against Jr. there, but I digress....

Ron Madden
01-05-2006, 04:44 AM
Thanks Chip,

It's a sad thing that Steve and the beat writers are afraid to "tell it like it is" aint it?

But then again we must never disagree with Marty.;)

We need a washed up Rich Aurilia because the PBP Guy likes him better than a 23 year old Edwin Encarnacion.

This team K's entirely too much, we need to learn how to bunt runners over, we need hitters with the ability to lift SF's like all the other winning teams...........

RosieRed
01-05-2006, 04:58 AM
Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 1-4-06. Steve Stewart was the host tonight. Steve said John Fay would call in later so that should please you if you are a Reds fan (Why? Is he announcing his retirement?)

:laugh:

Thanks for the laugh.

Heath
01-05-2006, 05:18 AM
Thanks Chip. poor guy ;)

Ok, while I have not been as closely following this offseason as others past, tell me, have they settled on Dunn at 1B? Other than him and Valentin who else do we have? I really would not be against Jr. there, but I digress....

check the "Rich Aurilia Lonely Hearts Club Band" thread on either board. The prevailing hope is that Rich will take a UTIL job where one of the positions he will play is 1B.

But DanO's got a dream of replacing EdE in the lineup. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Redus
01-05-2006, 06:18 AM
he would trade Pena for Contreras? Ugh....

Redsland
01-05-2006, 11:04 AM
He said their overall philosophy is that they are trying to build around younger players but they are a much better team with Rich.
Which is why 23-year-old EE should go to the minors and 29-year-old Freel should sit instead of 35-year-old Aurilia and 36-year-old Womack.

Redsland
01-05-2006, 11:06 AM
What about JV - he's supposedly lighting it up in winter ball playing 1B.
Whenever you have JV at first, you lack a back-up catcher in the dugout. That can make managers very twitchy.

Doc. Scott
01-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks Chip,

It's a sad thing that Steve and the beat writers are afraid to "tell it like it is" aint it?

Ron, that might be applied to Steve, but not John. The problem with Fay is that he really thinks he is telling like it is. And it sometimes is how he is telling it, albeit refracted through a six-year-old's sense of language and a senior citizen's sense of urgency.

Roy Tucker
01-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Which is why 23-year-old EE should go to the minors and 29-year-old Freel should sit instead of 35-year-old Aurilia and 36-year-old Womack.
Of course. It's blindingly obvious.

God help us all.

westofyou
01-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Of course. It's blindingly obvious.

God help us all.

Yes... the Reds had 52 throwing errors, the SS and 3rd baseman have guns, but shakey feet.

The possible replacements have Flintstonian range but grow cool facial hair in a mature manner.

FWIW Bill James Projections from his Handbook.

Womack .262/.309/.320
Aurilia .267/.327/.415
Freel .269/.355/.365
EE .264/.330/.473

In the Reds universe The Graduate was highlighted by Benjamin crashing Elaines wedding and stealing away with Mrs. Robinson.

RFS62
01-05-2006, 11:48 AM
In the Reds universe The Graduate was highlighted by Benjamin crashing Elaines wedding and stealing away with Mrs. Robinson.

Yeah, but they did swing by for the early bird special at Dennys.

BRM
01-05-2006, 11:52 AM
He said their overall philosophy is that they are trying to build around younger players but they are a much better team with Rich.

Let's review the key DanO acquisitions.

Milton - 29
Randa - 35
Aurilia - 34
Weathers - 35
Mercker - 37
Weber - 35
Ortiz - 32
Womack - 36
Hammond - 39
Williams - 26 (One younger guy is enough I guess)

marcshoe
01-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Ah, but at only 29, Milton also has many years ahead of him.

:yikes:

And after the Pena/Contrares deal goes down, he will seem like even more of a youngster.

Redsland
01-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Imagine a laugh track following his every statement, and life gets a lot easier.

Ex: "This [John VanderWal signing] is big." [ha-ha-ha]

"The very first and most important step in all of our offseason transactions was re-signing Paul Wilson. [ha-ha-ha] That re-affirmed to our athletes the direction we wanted to go, and that we were very sincere in trying to make it happen.” [ha-ha-ha]

“If you look at some of the veteran players we’ve brought in, they’ve all got playoff experience.” [ha-ha-ha]

---------

See how much better that is? ;)

registerthis
01-05-2006, 03:10 PM
“If you look at some of the veteran players we’ve brought in, they’ve all got playoff experience.”

Well, I mean, really. Who gives a bleeping-bleep whether or not they have playoff experience? What does "playoff experience" add to a player? I mean, OK, Derek Jeter has playoff experience. John Smoltz has playoff experience. Mariano Rivera has playoff experience. But Tony Womack? Ben Weber? Rich Aurilia? Can anyone possibly tell me with a straight face that those player's "playoff experience" somehow makes them more valuable?

I voted in the last election. According to Reds FO logic, that qualifies me to work on the next Presidential campaign because I would have "political experience."

Pathetic.

KronoRed
01-05-2006, 04:48 PM
We need Dan O to define younger.

Born after WW2 maybe? :D

M2
01-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Yes... the Reds had 52 throwing errors, the SS and 3rd baseman have guns, but shakey feet.

The possible replacements have Flintstonian range but grow cool facial hair in a mature manner.

FWIW Bill James Projections from his Handbook.

Womack .262/.309/.320
Aurilia .267/.327/.415
Freel .269/.355/.365
EE .264/.330/.473

Anne Bancroft was hot ... but I digress.

Allow me to play brain dead devil's advocate. Does your god Bill James know how to measure a player's heart or how to measure the value of veteran who knows how to play the game?

westofyou
01-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Does your god Bill James know how to measure a player's heart or how to measure the value of veteran who knows how to play the game?
Nah... but I found a copy of the 1983 Abstract at Goodwill today for $2.99!!

I like vets, I think a player can tell and show another player more than a coach, the best idea of reality is to study someone who has dwelled in it for awhile.

But you know that.... what we're all wondering is how important is arm data if 2 out of every 5 balls can't be had?

Nugget
01-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks Chip - its just with that and Sheldon's piece it seems the REDS beat writers have taken a holiday as well.

Agree that with JV at first you wouldn't have a backup catcher put presumably you'd have Dunn backing up at 1B. Given that he'd be warm why not use him at first. Admittedly there's more to it than playing the position, such as batting order, match ups etc. Still what happened to the WMP 1B experiment. Maybe they think the least damage he can do in defence is to keep him as far away from the ball as possible.

Heath
01-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks Chip - its just with that and Sheldon's piece it seems the REDS beat writers have taken a holiday as well.

Actually Lancaster just got back from his.

:D

IMO - sorry to blow up sunshine up someone's skirt who lurks here - but reading the Post is the best way to get Reds news.

And I live in Dayton.

Chip R
01-05-2006, 07:43 PM

Agree that with JV at first you wouldn't have a backup catcher put presumably you'd have Dunn backing up at 1B. Given that he'd be warm why not use him at first. Admittedly there's more to it than playing the position, such as batting order, match ups etc. Still what happened to the WMP 1B experiment. Maybe they think the least damage he can do in defence is to keep him as far away from the ball as possible.

Well, you could always move Javy from 1st to catcher if need be but I shudder at the prospect of Javy playing 1B. He's not good defensively. Not that Dunn's a Gold Glover but Javy messes up routine plays. That said WMP makes Javy look like a Gold Glover at 1st from what Team Clark has witnessed.

Nugget
01-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Actually Lancaster just got back from his.

Noticed that from his blog. True the post is the best. Unfortunately you need a subscription to read Hal. I'm sorry that we lost Castrovince from MLB, Sheldon really hasn't been that good. Maybe he will pick it up when the season starts in earnest.

Heath
01-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Unfortunately you need a subscription to read Hal.

Its a freebie subscription to the DDN.

Go to www.daytondailynews.com

I use a web-based (like yahoo.com or gmail.com) free email address & then use that as my user name and I make up my password.

You can also sign up for "Reds Alerts" or Hal McCoy's Red Connection which they distribute by email. You also get extra "Ask Hal" questions & Baseball Insider sent to your email.

Nugget - if you try and don't have any luck - pm me and I will try to get you set-up.

reds44
01-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Stupid.

If EE is going to spend more time in the minors why did we trade Randa?

Randa>RA>Womack

Just stupid. Not only might we suck this year, but we are going to be old too. I don't get it.

Ron Madden
01-06-2006, 04:51 AM
Ron, that might be applied to Steve, but not John. The problem with Fay is that he really thinks he is telling like it is. And it sometimes is how he is telling it, albeit refracted through a six-year-old's sense of language and a senior citizen's sense of urgency.

I suffer the same symtoms myself.:evil:

cumberlandreds
01-06-2006, 07:33 AM
[QUOTE=tixe]Ah, but at only 29, Milton also has many years ahead of him.

:yikes:

And many,many more home runs. :(

Why have the Reds seemingly soured on EE? He looks to me to have the talent and the very least be a steady everyday third baseman. Please tell me whats so wrong with him being our every day 3rd baseman this season. He needs MLB seasoning not ML seasoning,IMO.

TeamSelig
01-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Pretty pointless to keep EdE in the minors again. He didn't do great last year, but hit a bunch of doubles (for the amount of ABs), and performed great in the minors. I'm no GM, or scout, but it seems to me that Edwin is ready to be a full time major league third basemen.

And if by Contreas, he means Contreras, cash, upper minor league pitching prospect, and a decent position prospect, then I would do it. Otherwise, Contreras doesn't do much for me.

It would be OK to use Javy as a Back up 1B, and Catcher. This should get him a fair amount of ABs, without benching LaRue too much. And hey, maybe he will repeat what he did last year and we can afford to trade LaRue. (If we can find a decent young catcher prospect somewhere soon)

scounts22
01-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Its a freebie subscription to the DDN.

Go to www.daytondailynews.com

I use a web-based (like yahoo.com or gmail.com) free email address & then use that as my user name and I make up my password.

You can also sign up for "Reds Alerts" or Hal McCoy's Red Connection which they distribute by email. You also get extra "Ask Hal" questions & Baseball Insider sent to your email.

Nugget - if you try and don't have any luck - pm me and I will try to get you set-up.

Thanks Heath, I suscribed too! :cool:

Doc. Scott
01-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Stupid.

If EE is going to spend more time in the minors why did we trade Randa?

Randa>RA>Womack

Right, I agree, which is why I posted in the Aurilius thread about how DanO's public "we're negotiating" statements are just attempts to create interest in Richus. I refuse to believe (until we see it) that DanO is so bowels-clenchingly stupid as to trade Joe Randa for prospects, install EdE, then sign a veteran to play ahead of him just a couple of months later.

Doc. Scott
01-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Right, I agree, which is why I posted in the Aurilius thread about how DanO's public "we're negotiating" statements are just attempts to create interest in Richus. I refuse to believe (until we see it) that DanO is so bowels-clenchingly stupid as to trade Joe Randa for prospects, install EdE, then sign a veteran to play ahead of him just a couple of months later.

Oops. Someone had Mexican.