PDA

View Full Version : Official Dan O'Brien firing count down thread!

Reds4Life
01-06-2006, 05:05 PM
It seems the new ownership group will be approved after the Jan 19 meetings, which starts the clock on Mr. O'Brien's job.

Pick your date ladies and gentlemen!

Mine: Monday January 23 Obie packs his bags! :cool:

KronoRed
01-06-2006, 05:06 PM
October 9th 2006.

Falls City Beer
01-06-2006, 05:07 PM
October 9th 2006.

That sounds about right.

Reds4Life
01-06-2006, 05:09 PM
October 9th 2006.

Party pooper! :bang:

Keep it Freel
01-06-2006, 05:10 PM
My birthday...January 26 :party: :jump:

smith288
01-06-2006, 05:23 PM
5 min post assumption of power for new owners.

Patrick Bateman
01-06-2006, 05:28 PM
November 5th, 2023.

savafan
01-06-2006, 05:30 PM
June 2, 2006

TRF
01-06-2006, 05:48 PM
I'll go with 3 days after the 2006 WS.

vaticanplum
01-06-2006, 05:49 PM
June 2, 2006

That's my guess as well -- mid-season. Maybe a little earlier than this. A full housecleaning.

RedLegSuperStar
01-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Friday January 27th, 2006

Just Easier To Fire Someone On A Friday!

MrCinatit
01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
November 5th, 2023.

will Aurilia and Romano still be with the team?:eek:

BigRed
01-06-2006, 10:42 PM
As soon as the new ownership is approved, whenever that is.

KronoRed
01-06-2006, 10:53 PM
will Aurilia and Romano still be with the team?:eek:
Rich will be the manager, Romano the bench coach.

RFS62
01-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Feb. 1

Henry Clay
01-06-2006, 11:09 PM
I'm with the folks who think the firing will be closer to the assumption of power. Castellini & Co. have been involved in baseball for a while. They have wanted to run their own team and now have the ability to run their hometown team. I can't imagine these guys will be mousy when it comes to instituting their vision. I'm guessing Castellini & Co have a type of GM in mind, if not a specific candidate to take over the team. You don't participate in various ownership groups, raise so much money, and wait months to take over your hometown team without having a firm idea about what you want and don't want in a GM. Plus, it's not like the current GM has done a great job or has a long term remaining on his contract. The meeting with Pinella tells me these guys can't wait to get in place and start playing with their new team. For better or for worse, I expect a lot of action out of the gate.

They won't do it their first day because they won't want the firing to detract from their day and the announcement. I'll give them a few days to assess things (put in air quotes) and fire O'Brien on January 25th.

RedsMan3203
01-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Trade Deadline.

We'll be very close to being in the wild card... but not really.

The Reds annouce the firing of GM Dan O'Brien and Manager Jerry Narron.

Then that night... They annouce the signing of Sweet Lou Pinella as the new Manager.

From there... We hire Theo ;) and Become a power house.

Okay, someone spiked my kool-aid.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-07-2006, 02:07 AM
April 1, it will be posted and no one will consider it, they will think its a april fools joke........

SirFelixCat
01-07-2006, 05:29 AM
I'm with the folks who think the firing will be closer to the assumption of power. Castellini & Co. have been involved in baseball for a while. They have wanted to run their own team and now have the ability to run their hometown team. I can't imagine these guys will be mousy when it comes to instituting their vision. I'm guessing Castellini & Co have a type of GM in mind, if not a specific candidate to take over the team. You don't participate in various ownership groups, raise so much money, and wait months to take over your hometown team without having a firm idea about what you want and don't want in a GM. Plus, it's not like the current GM has done a great job or has a long term remaining on his contract. The meeting with Pinella tells me these guys can't wait to get in place and start playing with their new team. For better or for worse, I expect a lot of action out of the gate.

They won't do it their first day because they won't want the firing to detract from their day and the announcement. I'll give them a few days to assess things (put in air quotes) and fire O'Brien on January 25th.

Please?:pray:

MikeS21
01-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Actually, I'm not convinced the new owners are going to be any better than the existing owners. What is the point of giving O'Brien the boot, if they're going to turn right around and bring in another O'Brien-like stooge?

I have seen nothing written about this new ownership group that makes me think they any more progressive in their baseball philosophy than Lindner and Company. Sure, they hired this new media savy guy, but he does NOTHING to improve the product on the field or in the farm system.

What new philosophy will they bring that will cause this team to make different decisions on draft day? What will be different about scouting and development in the farm system?

I know that many are impressed with this new ownership's affiliation with St. Louis, and hope they bring that model here. But St. Louis has not had any better luck drafting and developing pitching than has Cincinnati. St. Louis is successful - not because of their farm system - but because of an inflated payroll that enables them to trade for high-priced players and dabble in the FA market. I will EXTREMELY disappointed if that is the plan here.

RollyInRaleigh
01-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Monday, January 30th, 2006. What a nice birthday present that would be for me!:)

westofyou
01-07-2006, 10:44 AM
St. Louis is successful - not because of their farm system - but because of an inflated payroll that enables them to trade for high-priced players and dabble in the FA market. I will EXTREMELY disappointed if that is the plan here.No, St. Louis is successful in marketing their team to their fan base, and not spending money foolishly, that's going to help the Reds a hell of a lot more than saying "We'll build through the farm system."

Inflated payroll... a result of making the right business decisions time after time.

A couple years of the Reds doing that and maybe they'd have more than the farm system to depend on.

Heath
01-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Reality? October of 2006

Dream sequence? Yesterday.

StillFunkyB
01-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Reality? October of 2006

Dream sequence? Yesterday.

I concur.

Reds4Life
01-07-2006, 12:25 PM
I'm going to close this topic, it seems Unassisted doesn't believe the dismissal of the Reds General Manager is an appropriate topic for Redszone.

It's a "tasteless topic that contributes negatively to the tone of the board" and "I'm no fan of DanO's work, but I don't think he deserves this public flogging".