PDA

View Full Version : Tomko Reds Closer??

RedLegSuperStar
01-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Before He Signed With The Dodgers The Reds Ask Brett Tomko To Become The Reds Closer.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060108/COL09/601080423/1071/SPT

The intriguing case to me is Tomko's.

The Reds wanted to give him a chance to revive his career as a reliever, hoping to take advantage of his good stuff - stuff that tends to fade late in a game.

But Tomko chose to go to the Dodgers, where he'll be in the starting rotation.

Very Interesting..

Falls City Beer
01-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Yep, more and more evidence to support that a) any fix that's going to be coming is going to be a weird shoehorning job with washed-up vets (see: Aurilia, Rich) and b) we're most likely stuck with DanO *at least* till the deadline, and most importantly, through another draft. :bang:

Betterread
01-09-2006, 08:18 PM
I saw that report also. It is a very weird scouting analysis on the Reds part. It also was ineffective in getting Tomko's interest. Which is not necessarily all bad...

wheels
01-09-2006, 10:22 PM
It didn't say closer, but it's mighty frightening to think of Tomko in a Reds uniform again.

I'll tell ya, that Dan O'Brien....He really comes up with some doozeys, don't he?

Falls City Beer
01-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Now that I think about it, the idea that somehow the Reds would have the "luxury" of placing Tomko in the bullpen as opposed to the 3rd spot in the rotation is absurd.

pedro
01-09-2006, 10:48 PM
take a chance on becoming a closer for the first time on a team that *might* win 70 games. brilliant sales pitch!

way to woo those free agents DanO!

KoryMac5
01-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Tomko as closer is like Danny Graves as a starter. We all know how that worked out.

George Foster
01-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Tomko as closer is like Danny Graves as a starter. We all know how that worked out.

Tomko has bounced around more than Anna Nicole Smith on a trampoline!

M2
01-10-2006, 01:17 AM
My only interest in bringing Tomko back to Cincinnati would be to put him on trial for crimes against humanity committed during the 1999 season.

And the desire to bring him back to town I can only describe as satanic.

Jr's Boy
01-10-2006, 01:47 AM
Bring Tomko back!What is this GM thinking?Enough is enough.

Strikes Out Looking
01-10-2006, 08:11 AM
The Reds want to bring every pitcher back as a reliever. I'd be surprised if DanO hasn't had the same thoughts about Clemens because he also tends to
wear down late in the game.

Under this theory, all the Reds starters should be relievers because none of them can go 9 innings regularly.

This comment from management really goes far in seeing why the Reds have the worst pitching in baseball.

wheels
01-10-2006, 08:49 AM
I'd like to point out again (just for the sake of accuracy) that nowhere in that article does it say they wanted to make Tomko a closer.

It just say reliever. Not closer.

Chip R
01-10-2006, 09:03 AM
DanO's smart. Like Wile E. Coyote smart.

flyer85
01-10-2006, 09:09 AM
DanO's smart. Like Wile E. Coyote smart.bet he gets his binders from the Acme Company.

savafan
01-10-2006, 11:30 AM
The Reds want to bring every pitcher back as a reliever. I'd be surprised if DanO hasn't had the same thoughts about Clemens because he also tends to
wear down late in the game.

Under this theory, all the Reds starters should be relievers because none of them can go 9 innings regularly.

This comment from management really goes far in seeing why the Reds have the worst pitching in baseball.

Hey, that's DanO's philosophy for the minor leagues!