PDA

View Full Version : Man, the Reds' offseasons just keep getting boringer and boringer...

max venable
01-10-2006, 09:30 AM
...is boringer a word? You get my point. I've posted in past off-seasons asking the question: is this the most boring Reds off-season ever? And it seems like every year, they get worse.

What stinks is that we, as Reds fans, have no shred of hope that our front office is going to do any thing significant to improve the team. It's just like they're simply crossing their fingers every year hoping that this is the year that we'll catch lightning in a bottle.

It's a bummer, man. They give us nothing to get excited about during the off-season yet they expect us to come and be excited about a mediocre team come April.

I was not a JimBo fan, but at least when JimBo was here, there were things happening. At least we felt like he was actually doing something to try to improve the team, change the dynamics of the team...something!

Nowadays...nothing.

MartyFan
01-10-2006, 10:04 AM
I agree...this sucks.

The only small glimmer of hope I have is that the new ownership will be here on the 19th...I don't care if they spend a lot of money bringing in big name players, I just want too have a respectable organization again...DanO was not the right guy, I now admit. Pants was not the right guy either.

Who is?

deltachi8
01-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Maybee Dan in leather pants?

Roy Tucker
01-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Yeah. Watching DanO is action is like looking at a minimalist painting. The genius is in the things implied but not done. In DanO's case, I don't think the things not done are genius. I think it's just incompetency.

In the book Watership Down, there was a word called "tharn" that means hypnotized with fear (think of the "deer caught in the headlights" only with a rabbit). I think Dan is tharned.

RedsManRick
01-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Wow Roy -- you took me right back to 9th grade English class with that reference. Great book. Good call too. The rumors of Tomko as closer, big money offered to Morris, etc., only reaffirms my take that O'Brien just doesn't get it and is making the moves he thinks he's supposed to, rather than executing a plan.

TheGARB
01-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Yeah. Watching DanO is action is like looking at a minimalist painting. The genius is in the things implied but not done. In DanO's case, I don't think the things not done are genius. I think it's just incompetency.

In the book Watership Down, there was a word called "tharn" that means hypnotized with fear (think of the "deer caught in the headlights" only with a rabbit). I think Dan is tharned.

There was also another word - hraka (http://langmaker.com/lapine.htm). I think you'll agree that it pretty much sums up DanO's tenure. :devil:

MrCinatit
01-10-2006, 10:53 AM
so vair did Dan0 come from to cause this zorn of inertia?

M2
01-10-2006, 11:01 AM
To give DanO some credit, this offseason has been more interesting than his first one on the job where he produced Cory Lidle and a cloud of dust.

After all, he did trade Sean Casey and acquire Tony Womack.

And, after last offseason, I'm of a mind to let DanO be as quiet as he likes until the new ownership takes over and cans him.

scounts22
01-10-2006, 11:08 AM
There was also another word - hraka (http://langmaker.com/lapine.htm). I think you'll agree that it pretty much sums up DanO's tenure. :devil:

Bahahahahaha:bowrofl:

I almost disrupted my class by laughing out loud.:D

max venable
01-10-2006, 11:22 AM

I say we make that DanO's new nickname: Tharn O'Brien.

I make a motion that from now on, this board refer to DanO as "Tharn." What do you think?

REDREAD
01-10-2006, 11:32 AM
To give DanO some credit, this offseason has been more interesting than his first one on the job where he produced Cory Lidle and a cloud of dust..

You mean you already forgot the blockbuster acquision of VanderWall? :laugh:

Yeah, that first year when all DanO did was evaluate gets my vote for most boring offseason.

westofyou
01-10-2006, 11:50 AM
After all, he did trade Sean Casey and acquire Tony Womack.Plus he chased Rich Aurilia around the tree for so long that he turned into a tub of butter.

corkedbat
01-10-2006, 12:33 PM
You mean you already forgot the blockbuster acquision of VanderWall? :laugh:

Yeah, that first year when all DanO did was evaluate gets my vote for most boring offseason.

If evaluate was all D0 had ever done, the Reds wouldn't be much worse off than they are right now.

captainmorgan07
01-10-2006, 09:17 PM
atleast he's not making another eric milton disaster

Aronchis
01-10-2006, 09:34 PM
It ain't DanO that has "stopped" the offseason, especially being a lameduck. I think we all know that. Move on.

Falls City Beer
01-10-2006, 09:44 PM
It ain't DanO that has "stopped" the offseason, especially being a lameduck. I think we all know that. Move on.

And yet, strangely, transactions keep piling up like so much excreta. :dunno:

REDREAD
01-11-2006, 12:04 PM
It ain't DanO that has "stopped" the offseason, especially being a lameduck. .

I'm not sure he's a lameduck though. He was given several months to save his job, and make an impression on the new owners.

I'm in the minority, I don't think the moves he made this winter are necessarily bad, but they certainly aren't the bold moves to move this team forward. He's far too conservative, passive, and slow moving to be able to win with a small market team. That (and Milton's contract) is what's going to ultimately get him canned.

registerthis
01-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Honestly, I've had more enjoyable times fishing clogs out of my garbage disposal than following the team this offseason. Lord, I really hate sounding like a doomsday prophet because I'm usually not as negative on teams as I am on this coming year's reds, but really--what on Earth has the FO done to offer encouragement this offseason?

It's just beyond frustrating. We're an Adam-Dunn-traded-for-prospects deal away from becoming a beer league team.

Kc61
01-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Boringer may not be a word, but it says it all. What a miserable off-season. I'm not that critical of the guys they acquired, but where is the improvement in the horrendous pitching staff?

I hope Mr. Castellini recognizes that he is acquiring a team that, right now, is at rock bottom. Following baseball's off-season, it's almost like the Reds don't exist.

KronoRed
01-11-2006, 08:47 PM
atleast he's not making another eric milton disaster
Combine Aurilia with Womack and I think they will do just as much damage this year.