PDA

View Full Version : Stratton back with the Reds

Gallen5862
01-10-2006, 10:55 AM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060110/SPT04/601100389/1071
Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Stratton back with the Reds

The Enquirer

ADVERTISEMENT

Rob Stratton, the star of Reds spring training early last year, will be back in camp this season.

The Reds and Stratton have agreed to a minor league contract.

Stratton, 28, hit .314 with four home runs and 10 RBI in just 13 games last spring. The Reds cut Stratton early in spring because they wanted him to get consistent at-bats at Triple-A.

But Stratton ruptured his Achilles' tendon just eight games into the Louisville season and had season-ending surgery.

"He checked out fully healthy," Reds director of player development Tim Naehring said.

Stratton, an outfielder/first baseman, was not invited to the big league camp but will be part of camp for the top minor leaguers.

Unassisted
01-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Finally, the answer to one of the most frequently asked questions since the end of the season. Hopefully, Big Rob makes the team and makes a difference.

savafan
01-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Finally, the answer to one of the most frequently asked questions since the end of the season. Hopefully, Big Rob makes the team and makes a difference.

I would like that too, Unassisted, but the article states that Stratton is not getting an invite to the major league camp at spring training, so that says to me that he is not in the picture for the Reds. Unfortunate. In no universe should Tony Womack take at bats away from Rob Stratton.

Unassisted
01-10-2006, 11:21 AM
I would like that too, Unassisted, but the article states that Stratton is not getting an invite to the major league camp at spring training, so that says to me that he is not in the picture for the Reds.Good point. OK, I'll amend what I said to this:

Hopefully Big Rob puts up big numbers at Louisville and makes his way back to the big leagues. :)

Doc. Scott
01-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Well, honestly, Stratton still has some proving to do. He had a twenty-five game torrid stretch at the end of '04 and a few moon shots in spring training the following year. He hit five or six bombs in his first ten AAA games of '05 and then got hurt. Before joining the Reds the guy hit .183 and struck out every other at-bat for AAA Fresno. Before that he'd set minor-league strikeout records.

As much as I'd like to see him in spring training, he's going to have to force his way onto the squad. He could hit fifteen homers in spring training and probably still start at Louisville. He just has to keep it going and wait for the inevitable attrition.

savafan
01-10-2006, 12:06 PM
All that is true Doc, but Tony Womack has already proven himself woefully awful at playing baseball. Now, if Womack was acquired to help the grounds crew, or to be the bat boy, I have no problem with that.

BRM
01-10-2006, 03:37 PM
In no universe should Tony Womack take at bats away from Rob Stratton.

Change Rob Stratton to anyone and it's still true.

remdog
01-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Yawn.

Rem

M2
01-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Stratton's in the fold. Now if only the club would sign Johnny Briggs as a coach.

Nugget
01-10-2006, 06:54 PM
You guys having Rob getting a ST invite have got to wonder whether (a) he is fit enough, (b) he hasn't had a full season in the big leagues and (c) would have more fun going to a batting cage.

Stratton has been out for the whole year with an achilles problem. He more than likely hasn't had a run for 6 months, swung the bat consistently or had any game conditioning. He also not played a season in the big leagues yet so there would be no reason for an invite to ST.

LawFive
01-10-2006, 07:35 PM
If he shows that he still has it, do the Reds carry him as the power bench bat/backup 1B? I'd rather see Stratton than Valentin at 1st once per week.

4256 Hits
01-10-2006, 10:38 PM
The guy is a very marginal player to begin w/ that basicly missed an entire year there is no way he should be on the Reds opening day roster (Of course Tony W. shouldn't either).

TeamSelig
01-11-2006, 01:27 PM
He turned into a whole new player once he had lasik eye surgery. I look for him to play for the Bats for a month or so before he gets his call up.

Danny Serafini
01-11-2006, 01:39 PM
As long as Jacob Cruz is in Cincinnati Stratton will have a hard time getting a look. You only need one PH/5th OF type on the roster, and Cruz's being lefthanded gives him a big edge fighting for that spot.

Doc. Scott
01-11-2006, 01:56 PM
As long as Jacob Cruz is in Cincinnati Stratton will have a hard time getting a look. You only need one PH/5th OF type on the roster, and Cruz's being lefthanded gives him a big edge fighting for that spot.

Right- Stratton will have to slam dunk Cruz statistically to beat him out, given Jacob's tenure and reputation. But the bottom falls out with pinch-hitters pretty quickly- look at Lenny Harris, still coasting through.

Chip R
01-11-2006, 01:57 PM
He turned into a whole new player once he had lasik eye surgery.

So did Brandon Larson.

Doc. Scott
01-11-2006, 02:00 PM
I read that Stratton changed his batting stance to some sort of a no-stride or short-stride setup. I don't recall reading about Lasik surgery, but that might have helped too.

zombie-a-go-go
01-11-2006, 02:01 PM
So did Brandon Larson.

I think you're confusing "lasik eye surgery" with "all cheeseburger diet."

TeamSelig
01-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Hmm... maybe I am getting him confused with Larson. I just remember about the time he started punishing the ball, he was interviewed and it was found that there was some sort of major change. Could have been his stance though, that makes sense.

Sorry if I mixed those up.

savafan
01-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Hmm... maybe I am getting him confused with Larson. I just remember about the time he started punishing the ball, he was interviewed and it was found that there was some sort of major change. Could have been his stance though, that makes sense.

Sorry if I mixed those up.

Don't let it happen again. :evil: