PDA

View Full Version : Chad Johnson and WR coach involved in halftime fight?

redsfan30
01-10-2006, 02:01 PM
I sure hope this isn't true.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Chad: There was no fight

By Mark Curnutte and Paul Daugherty
Enquirer staff writers

Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson today denied reports that he was involved in a locker room fight at halftime on Sunday during the Bengals' playoff loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

When asked about a report from the Web site profootballtalk.com that claims Johnson was involved with an altercation with receivers coach Hue Jackson, and then swung at head coach Marvin Lewis, Johnson said nothing happened.

“That sounds like drama," Johnson said. "At halftime, I was getting an IV. Nothing happened. Why don’t you talk to the coaches, they’re all down there today.”

The Bengals had no comment.

“We don’t comment on rumors,” Bengals public relations director Jack Brennan said.

Citing an unidentified league source, profootballtalk.com reported that several Bengals players witnessed an altercation between Johnson and Jackson as halftime concluded.

Jackson did not return a message left this morning on his office phone at Paul Brown Stadium.

The site profootballtalk.com reported: “Per the source, the last few minutes of intermission were ticking away, when the players were startled by the sight and sound of a helmet slamming against the glass pane of the training room door. Johnson and (wide) receivers coach Jackson were engaged in an altercation,” according to the Web site.

“At one point, Johnson was seen holding Jackson in a headlock.

“Coach Marvin Lewis entered the training room to intervene, and Johnson (per the source) took a swing at him. Eventually, receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh broke up the skirmish, within a minute or so of the team exiting the locker room for the second half.”

The Bengals led 17-14 at halftime but lost 31-17 in the wildcard game.

The Web site reported that Johnson was unhappy about the lack of passes thrown to him, three with two completions in the first half.

Johnson caught two of the three attempts in his direction in the second half to finish with four receptions for 59 yards.

In post-game interviews Sunday, defensive tackle John Thornton was among the handful of players who talked in general about the lack of cohesion and that the team concept was lost and must be regained.

Thornton, reached this morning via cell phone, said, “I can’t confirm or deny anything that happened in the locker room.”

Thornton did say Sunday that the issue did not involve rookie players.

In his post-game comments Sunday, Lewis alluded, generally, to a problem, saying, “We came in here as a football team and we need to leave out of here as a football team and understand that it's about working through the tough times. You work through the critical points in the game and do you job.”

Joseph
01-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Just heard about this on Lance this afternoon.

Shocking in some ways really.

Such a beautiful season is tasting sour for so many right now.

RedFanAlways1966
01-10-2006, 04:24 PM
By Mark Curnutte and Paul Daugherty
Enquirer staff writers

Is this The Cincinnati Enquirer or The National Enquirer? It seems as though a story like this is more of a National Enquirer story.

Citing an unidentified league source

That confirms it! It must be The National Enquirer b/c that is their fav-line to justify printing a story and avoiding a lawsuit for printing it.

Reds Fanatic
01-10-2006, 04:33 PM
I have a really hard time believing this is true. If Chad really took a swing at Marvin do you really think Marvin would have let him start the 2nd half. Marvin is such a no-nonsense coach he would have dealt with something like that immediately. I can't say there was not some argument but I really can't imagine this whole story is true. I also visited that website and that whole site looks questionable. The site is a bunch of ads with a few football rumors mixed in the middle.

CTA513
01-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Johnson seemed normal in the second half, it was players on defense that were yelling at each other on the sideline.

Joseph
01-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Lapham just confirmed that he at least believes it, FWIW.

traderumor
01-10-2006, 04:52 PM
In his post-game comments Sunday, Lewis alluded, generally, to a problem, saying, “We came in here as a football team and we need to leave out of here as a football team and understand that it's about working through the tough times. You work through the critical points in the game and do you job.”From bengals.com "1-10-06, 3:55 p.m. A heck of a start to the ’05 offseaon for No. 85. But Chad Johnson isn’t as down as you think he’d be. The man he calls Captain Kirk, Carson Palmer as the commander of the Bengals starship offense, has assured him he’ll be in Los Angeles throwing balls to him in early July. And, he denied he fought coaches and teammates at halftime of Sunday’s loss to Pittsburgh: “Then that must means I’m also dating Halle Berry and starring in a Steven Spielberg movie.” "

Also from Bengals.com, the above quote in the Enquirer article and the question that was asked:
http://www.bengals.com/team/quotes060108.asp

Do you feel cheated?
“I feel like we as a football team need to learn from this. We came in here as a football team, and we need to leave here as a football team. We need to understand it is about working through the tough times. You work through the critical points in the game and keep your eye on the target. Do your job. This is a lesson that we needed to learn. We handled the first part of the game, and then we let them right back in the football game.”

So, regardless of the rumor's veracity, this article is playing fast and loose with some facts, not to mention that the quote was in the context of the second half meltdown. Shame, shame, Curnette and Daugherty, especially Curnette who I expect more out of.

macro
01-10-2006, 05:00 PM
profootballtalk.com has gotten some stories right in the past, but from what I'm reading, they've also done some tabloid reporting, as well. I'd say that there might have been some words exchanged or something, and the story is being blown out of proportion and sensationalized.

Whatever happened, they have six months to get over it and move on. I'm more concerned with Carson Palmer's leg.

Joseph
01-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Chad will hold a presser at 7 PM 'nati time. Will be on 1360 for those interested.

gonelong
01-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Chad will hold a presser at 7 PM 'nati time. Will be on 1360 for those interested.

Good, if this stuff isn't true, you have to nip it in the bud or it'll become truth. Since he isn't going to WLW, he'll likely get ripped there by Furman tonight.

GL

LawFive
01-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Any further developments?

Reds Fanatic
01-10-2006, 07:46 PM
From what I heard Chad denies everything and says he talked to both Marvin and Hue Jackson and they all laughed about it.

Reds Fanatic
01-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Here is part of an article from the Bengals website about Johnson's reaction to this:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5014

Bengaldm got jolted into the offseason Tuesday morning when profootballtalk.com reported that Johnson went on a halftime tirade that included physical confrontations with head coach Marvin Lewis and receivers coach Hue Jackson. Johnson denied the reports Tuesday afternoon. and then held a news conference at Paul Brown Stadium Tuesday night.

"Nothing happened," Johnson said in front of cameras in the hallway outside the Bengals locker room. "We don't have ruckuses."

Johnson said if he did take a swing at Lewis or Jackson as the report said, "(Lewis) would have sat me."

Johnson said that when he spoke to Lewis, Lewis laughed and called it ridiculous.

Although there seems to be indications there was some kind of verbal confrontation, Johnson considers what happened in the locker room tio be the norm for coming up with half-time adjustments.

"How could something small like this affect all the things I've accomplished?" he asked.

Earlier in the day, Johnson said of the report, “I don’t know where it came from or who said it or what,” Johnson said. “All I know is I was going into the training room (for an IV), and we were just trying to figure out what we were going to do (in the second half)."

That included Johnson's pleas to get the ball after he caught just two balls for 30 yards in the first half. He finished with four for 59 yards, but said he didn't have what he would call a confrontation with the coaches.

Johnson said he’s fine with Lewis and Jackson, and that he spent time with Lewis on Tuesday before the coach had to go into a personnel meeting.

“C’mon,” Johnson said. “Has there ever been a problem there?”

Defensive tackle John Thornton said Tuesday that his postgame comments about not being a complete team had nothing to do with Johnson because he wasn’t with the offense.

“I don’t know if anything happened because we’ve only got seven minutes at the half,” Thornton said. “I’m at the other end of the room with the defense.”

Thornton admitted he was emotional after the elimination loss, and was speaking generally about his team and how it didn’t respond to Palmer’s injury.

“We can’t be selfish,” Thornton said. “I don’t have a problem with any player on our team. We just have to learn to deal with some things when they go bad.

“I don’t know what happened, or if anything did. Chad is an emotional player. He just wants to make plays. I’m sure if anything happened it’s nothing that the team couldn’t have got over.”

TeamBoone
01-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Chad was on the 11 o'clock news and denied all. He said to talk to the coaches if they didn't believe him. There was more to the interview but I didn't catch it all.

BTW, he was wearing a Reds hat... all red with a red embroidered wishbone "C".

traderumor
01-11-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm sure Curnette and Daugherty will make things right with their shoddy journalism :rolleyes:

Chip R
01-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Let's say that there was no fight but Chad did make a stink about not getting enough balls thrown to him - which it sounds like he doesn't deny. Does this bother you if you're a Bengals fan? Is this another sign of what seems to be a common trait amongst the star WRs in the NFL that damn the results just get me the ball?

traderumor
01-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Let's say that there was no fight but Chad did make a stink about not getting enough balls thrown to him - which it sounds like he doesn't deny. Does this bother you if you're a Bengals fan? Is this another sign of what seems to be a common trait amongst the star WRs in the NFL that damn the results just get me the ball?No, Chad wants the ball to help his team win.

Ravenlord
01-11-2006, 10:20 AM
based on the above, i have no doubt an altercation happened. but i think it's totally laughable to think that Chad could have thrown a punch, especially at Lewis, and even be seen on the sidelines the second half.

gonelong
01-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Is this another sign of what seems to be a common trait amongst the star WRs in the NFL that damn the results just get me the ball?

Rudy Johnson aluded to the same thing more than once this year, and more than once last year. I gotta see the ball more. He is a competitor and Chad is a nuisance. I don't get it.

GL

Chip R
01-11-2006, 11:11 AM
No, Chad wants the ball to help his team win.

What's more important to him, getting the ball or winning? Seems to me it's the former. And that's not necessarily a knock on him it's just how he is. If the Bengals win 21-0 and do it mostly on the ground with Rudi getting 3 TDs, you think Chad is going to be happy if he only gets 1 or 2 balls thrown to him in that game? If he doesn't get the ball he can't score and he can't do his dances and he can't get any attention that way. Bengals fans are going to have to accept him for what he is, good or bad.

RedFanAlways1966
01-11-2006, 11:21 AM
What's more important to him, getting the ball or winning? Seems to me it's the former. And that's not necessarily a knock on him it's just how he is. If the Bengals win 21-0 and do it mostly on the ground with Rudi getting 3 TDs, you think Chad is going to be happy if he only gets 1 or 2 balls thrown to him in that game? If he doesn't get the ball he can't score and he can't do his dances and he can't get any attention that way. Bengals fans are going to have to accept him for what he is, good or bad.

I agree with this assessment. It has worried me as a Bengals fan for the last couple of seasons.

When we think of troublesome-yet-very-talented-WR, we usually put T.O. on the top of the heap. Chad is not a T.O.. Chad treats the game with fun... T.O. as a business. But Chad always seems to be one-step from getting a T.O. reputation from NFL fans. And that scares me!

Something definitely happened in that lockerroom at halftime w/ Chad. How severe and the nitty-gritty details will probably never be known by the public. I do not like these things happening, but I try to remind myself that football is a very emotional game.

And let us remember not to trust anything coming from an unnamed source. And remember the names of reporters who try to turn this into something that it may not be. If it was a real big thing, you'd think a man like Marvin will do something about it. And that is the good thing for Bengals fans. Marvin does not seem to tolerate BS.

Beware of soap-opera-luvin' reporters! :thumbdown

traderumor
01-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Winning, which he believes is a function of him getting the ball. I think that he simply is a guy that thinks he's open on every play and the comments have more effect on you than they do his teammates. I have read instance after instance where the players say things like "we feed off Chad, not our style, but his attitude is infectous." That's what his teammates have to say. He is flamboyant, but I don't interpret the comments as "me, me." Rather, "I know if I get the ball, this team's chances of winning greatly increase.

savafan
01-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Chad was upset about Jon Kitna's apparent man-love for Kevin Walter. There were other receivers on the field, but Kitna apparently only felt comfortable throwing to Walter.

And Chad's main goal every game is for a Bengal victory, he just felt that they would have a better shot if he and TJ were getting the ball as well as Walter.

GAC
01-12-2006, 04:43 AM
Where there is smoke there is fire folks. ;)

Bengals radio analyst Dave Lapham said a player on the Bengals' offense confirmed that a confrontation did occur at halftime between Johnson and members of the coaching staff. Lapham also said on the radio that more than one defensive player told him that they heard a disturbance.

Lapham said the players, who did not want to be identified, told him, "Just basically that ... definitely (something) went down."

" 'We're telling you, this is not B.S.,' " Lapham said players told him.

John Thornton, reached Tuesday morning, said, "I can't confirm or deny anything that happened in the locker room."

Both Jackson and Lewis, who had messages left for them, have yet to return the calls.

Question: If this did not occur, then why wouldn't the coaching staff, and Johnson's fellow teammates be out their denying it and putting it to rest?

Why all these "no comments"? To simply use the reasoning or excuse that they aren't responding because they don't want to "flame" a rumor - which is already flamed by the way - is ridiculous and making it worse (if it didn't happen).

If it's not true, then you'd want to stamp it out and disprove it immediately, and at least come to the defense of the player who is innocent.

Who all was there standing behind Johnson at that press conference in support?

It's terrible PR by this organization if it didn't occur.

Me thinks it did though, knowing Johnson's history. ;)

And if it is proven true, then what does that say of Johnson now that he has had a press conference denying it all, and said he was getting an IV?

GAC
01-12-2006, 05:01 AM
Chad was upset about Jon Kitna's apparent man-love for Kevin Walter. There were other receivers on the field, but Kitna apparently only felt comfortable throwing to Walter.

And Chad's main goal every game is for a Bengal victory, he just felt that they would have a better shot if he and TJ were getting the ball as well as Walter.

The Steelers aren't stupid though. They lost their QB and Henry. They dbl'd up on the other two, shortened the field because of Kitna's arm, and basically said that if you're gonna beat us, you're gonna do it with Walter (who's played how much this year?).

That's nobody's fault.

Johnson pulled this crap earlier in the year when TJ was out, and turned on his QB for not throwing him the ball when dbl covered. Remember? You take out TJ and that simply helps defenses cover the other talent easily. You take out your starting QB (who has the stronger/accurate arm versus Kitna), along with a talent like Henry, and guess what - you just shortened the field, took out the deep threat.

Johnson's logic? "I don't care if they have 3 guys on me, it ain't gonna matter 'cause I'm that good. Sometimes I wish I wasn't that good. But you gotta throw me the ball! "

Maybe they should have. And after a few more Kitna INT's trying to do so, then what would Chad say?

This is a guy who liked to make a list of all the defenders he burns and can't stop him. Then when they do, he whines that they aren't throwing him the ball.

When is this guy gonna learn that when you spout off and pull some of the antics like he does that it just paints a target on you with the opposition (including the media)?

He's a very talented player. No one denies he wants to win. But his ego, his mouth, and selfish attitude (It's all about me - I can do it all) is gonna continue to be troublesome in the future for this team. And that is very sad because he is a talent no doubt.

He is gonna wear thin in Cincy sooner or later IMO.

Krusty
01-12-2006, 09:09 AM
There might be truth to this story because Boomer Esaison is confirming it too.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_412642.html

Bengals in disarray during, after loss

Tools Print this article
E-mail this article
Subscribe to this paper
Larger / Smaller Text

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, January 12, 2006

Former Bengals quarterback Boomer Esiason chastised Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis and criticized wide receiver Chad Johnson on Wednesday in the wake of the Bengals' 31-17 playoff loss to the Steelers.
Boomer's beef with Lewis involved a postgame declaration that the Bengals weren't going to "cry" about Kimo von Oelhoffen knocking Carson Palmer out of Sunday's game, "like their quarterback did."

That was going too far, in Esiason's estimation.

"Absolutely, because Marvin Lewis has his own problems," Esiason said during an appearance on the WDVE-FM Morning Show. "They had a huge fight in that locker room at halftime. It's the truth, flat out. (Wide receiver) Chad Johnson got into it with their wide receivers coach, Hue Jackson. (Wide receiver) T. J. Houshmandzadeh and Marvin came over to break it up and Chad was uncontrollable.

"So, Marvin Lewis should just worry about his own team."

Johnson denied taking a swing at Lewis on Tuesday, after profootballtalk.com posted a report detailing a halftime altercation.

Esiason maintained Johnson became upset after catching two passes for 30 yards during a first half that ended with the Bengals leading, 17-14.

Johnson wound up with four receptions for 59 yards and failed to catch a touchdown pass for the third time in three games against the Steelers this season.

"He wanted the ball more, screaming and yelling," Esiason said. "Guys are trying to tell him calm down; we're all in this together; your quarterback's hurt. I mean, show a little professionalism, for crying out loud.

"He's a knucklehead. He's a wide receiver in the NFL. Not everybody can be Hines Ward. If I could have 100 Hines Wards on my team, we would never lose a game. The bottom line is that (Ward) is the quintessential, unselfish, tremendous football player that every wide receiver should be like. He never complains. He blocks downfield. He understands his role in the offense and he just loves winning."

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger expressed surprise yesterday when responding to Lewis' charge.

"You don't expect that coming from a guy like that," Roethlisberger said. "Obviously, he was a little frustrated, but I don't remember complaining.

"It's just unfortunate coming from a guy like that."

Steelers coach Bill Cowher had addressed Lewis' remark Tuesday, saying "I would like to think it was said out of frustration."

Roethlisberger had called a hit to the knee by Cincinnati linebacker Odell Thurman in the Bengals' 38-31 victory over the Steelers on Dec. 4 at Heinz Field "a little dirty."

Replays confirmed Thurman was tripped on his way to the backfield by Steelers center Jeff Hartings and fell into Roethlisberger.

Thurman was penalized 15 yards for roughing the passer.

Esiason believes the Bengals have a problem with the Steelers in general.

"Pittsburgh is their measuring stick because Pittsburgh runs the team much like the Bengals run their team," he said. "It's family owned, but yet Pittsburgh for all these years has owned them and basically has been a more competitive franchise.

"I think Marvin should just worry about losing the game and controlling his own team as opposed to taking on other players."

Mike Prisuta can be reached at

Blimpie
01-12-2006, 09:18 AM
"He's a knucklehead. He's a wide receiver in the NFL. Not everybody can be Hines Ward. If I could have 100 Hines Wards on my team, we would never lose a game. The bottom line is that (Ward) is the quintessential, unselfish, tremendous football player that every wide receiver should be like. He never complains. He blocks downfield. He understands his role in the offense and he just loves winning."
Doesn't complain? I guess Boomer forgot all about Hines Ward and his training camp hold out.

Krusty
01-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Doesn't complain? I guess Boomer forgot all about Hines Ward and his training camp hold out.

Holding out in training camp for a better contract has been going on since Vince Lombardi was coaching. Even the great Pete Rose held out in spring training to get a better deal.

The one thing about Hines Ward was you didn't hear him complain to the media about it....unlike Terrell Owens who made it a three-ring circus.

You have to wonder if Chad Johnson will eventually go down the same road T.O. has?

deltachi8
01-12-2006, 09:52 AM

I was about to say the same thing. And you can add his moaning a year before that about his contract.

The one thing about Hines Ward was you didn't hear him complain to the media about it

Ya, he did, it was all over the Pittsburgh papers.

traderumor
01-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Roethelsburger doesn't remember. I like that the quote was put in the article. Boomer has his opinion but sounds like he has been talking to Lapham, and he told two friends, and so on, and so on. I guess Boomer doesn't remember the ups and downs (and crappy attitudes at times, including his own) of the squads he played on with Wicky Wacky, eh?

I don't expect any apologies from Marvin, either. He's starting to experience the short end of the stick of disrespect from officials we've all been watching for years.

traderumor
01-12-2006, 10:01 AM
While another thread accuses worship of our QB, there seems to be some man-love for Hines Ward out there. Is it his winsome smile? Whoopty do, he blocks downfield. As if he is the only wideout doing such a thing. Many of them just can't, its a skill, moreso than they don't want to.

Blimpie
01-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Holding out in training camp for a better contract has been going on since Vince Lombardi was coaching. Even the great Pete Rose held out in spring training to get a better deal.

The one thing about Hines Ward was you didn't hear him complain to the media about it....unlike Terrell Owens who made it a three-ring circus.

You have to wonder if Chad Johnson will eventually go down the same road T.O. has?I never said that holdouts were rare. Boomer just shouldn't imply that Hines Ward is "above the fray" where that is concerned--'cause he ain't. When it is all said and done, Hines still wants his green...regardless of what it might have to do with the teams chances to compete.

Just because the guy is a possession receiver who always maintains his blocks more than 5 yards up field doesn't qualify him for sainthood status.

Krusty
01-12-2006, 10:22 AM
I never said that holdouts were rare. Boomer just shouldn't imply that Hines Ward is "above the fray" where that is concerned--'cause he ain't. When it is all said and done, Hines still wants his green...regardless of what it might have to do with the teams chances to compete.

Just because the guy is a possession receiver who always maintains his blocks more than 5 yards up field doesn't qualify him for sainthood status.

But if I'm the Bengals, I would be more concern Chad Johnson could end up going down the road similar to Owens. Owens was so disruptive that it killed the Eagles's season. Now you hear this about Johnson and the halftime fiasco and you have to wonder if the Bengals will have the same problems the 49ers and Eagles did with Owens.

Why you would be more concern about what someone says about Hines Ward is beyond me. You have bigger problems on your team right now with Palmer, Johnson and the defense.

GAC
01-12-2006, 10:27 AM
But if I'm the Bengals, I would be more concern Chad Johnson could end up going down the road similar to Owens. Owens was so disruptive that it killed the Eagles's season. Now you hear this about Johnson and the halftime fiasco and you have to wonder if the Bengals will have the same problems the 49ers and Eagles did with Owens.

Why you would be more concern about what someone says about Hines Ward is beyond me. You have bigger problems on your team right now with Palmer, Johnson and the defense.

Exactly.

As much as I like Marvin Lewis, IMO, he shows his "weakness" of appeasing player conduct just because the player is talented. And es, I know it occurs around the NFL; but that does not mean it is right.

But why is going after Ward or Roethlisberger (even if it may be justified), or pointing out any previous behavior they may have had, somehow justify or deflect what probably occurred in that Bengal lockerroom?

savafan
01-12-2006, 10:34 AM
I'd be more concerned that other players are talking to the media about what is going on in the lockerroom at halftime.

Chip R
01-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Boomer's point may not be technically correct but I believe what he means is that Ward doesn't complain publicly when the ball isn't thrown to him. He may have complained about being underpaid or that his wife didn't make pancakes for him the other morning but that stuff is irrelevant to how a player acts on the field. I'm sure Ward isn't happy if he doesn't get the ball as often as he likes. The same goes for Marvin Harrison and I'm sure Jerry Rice felt the same way. It's an ego thing which is not necessarily bad. Everyone has an ego. Everyone takes pride in things they do well and wants to succeed. But some people have bigger egos than others.

You're going to have to take the bad with the good if you are a Chad Johnson/Bengals fan. He has a delightful personality. He likes to make the game fun and he does a lot of other good things as well. He works hard at what he does and while he does enjoy the attention he receives he doesn't seem to be the kind of player (T.O.) who is Me Me Me. He doesn't cause problems off the field. But I believe his number one priority is getting the ball thrown to him often. Perhaps he really believes that ther more often the ball is thrown to him the better chance the Bengals have winning the game. Even if he's double or triple-covered he still feels he should get the ball. That's a lot of hubris there. Of course if the ball is intercepted when he's covered by more than one person it isn't his fault. He didn't throw the ball. If the Bengals lose and he gets two TDs he's not happy the Bengals lost but he got his scores and got to do his dances so everything is right with the world. I get to listen to a bit of the show he does with Furman on Thursday nights. I think this TD dance thing is getting a bit out of control. People call in and mostly what they want to talk about is what kind of a dance is Chad going to do on Sunday. Naturally, Chad is happy to accomodate them. Sure you get the occassional fuddy-duddy who just wants him to hand the ball to the official. But the focus is more on the dance after the score and not necessarily about what the Bengals need to do in order to win that week or even how Chad prepares for a game.

I would wager that if Chad played for PIT or CLE or any other team, most of you wouldn't find his actions so amusing. Like I said, you're going to have to take the good with the bad with him if you are really a fan of his. If he holds out for more money you don't necessarily have to support him but a real fan of his won't throw him under the bus either. If he makes a fuss about not getting enough balls thrown to him, that's just Chad being Chad.

westofyou
01-12-2006, 10:41 AM
But if I'm the BengalsBut you're not.. you're a STEELERS fan.

Now, go the St.Louis Cardinals board and start telling them "what you're concerned about" concerning their team.

Let me know how that goes.

Blimpie
01-12-2006, 10:44 AM

Why you would be more concern about what someone says about Hines Ward is beyond me. You have bigger problems on your team right now with Palmer, Johnson and the defense.Just for the sake of accuracy...I never said I was "more concerned about" what Boomer said about Ward. Those words belong to you. I just said it was garbage for Esiason to single Ward out as a boy scout. Period.

Secondly, the Bengals aren't my team--that would be the Dolphins. So, I couldn't care less what impact this incident might have within the locker room.

In fact, I suggested on this board a month or so ago (in ORH's thread about his endzone theatrics) that Chad Johnson may not be the media darling that some people think. Let's just say my opinion was vehemently defended by certain Chad supporters who are, now, notably absent from this discussion.

traderumor
01-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Cowher went after more than just Lewis.

“The last thing we ever do is comment on things that their players say,” Cowher said. “I could have a whole press conference with some of the things that come from that team. I would like to think it was said out of frustration.”

Oh, please, Cowher, just stop. You let your guy pull up his shirt during pregame like some unusual tribal ritual, several of your players ran around the field ganging up on TJ to start the game in an obvious attempt to intimidate, on the heels of the Palmer injury, which some eyewitnesses say caused some jocularity on the sidelines with your players. Plus, you spit all over the place when you talk and stalk the sidelines as if you're suffering from lycanthropy (our word for the day ;) ).

Go Indy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

traderumor
01-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Exactly.

As much as I like Marvin Lewis, IMO, he shows his "weakness" of appeasing player conduct just because the player is talented. And es, I know it occurs around the NFL; but that does not mean it is right.

But why is going after Ward or Roethlisberger (even if it may be justified), or pointing out any previous behavior they may have had, somehow justify or deflect what probably occurred in that Bengal lockerroom?

You've got to be kidding, my friend. Is Takeo Spikes talented? Is Corey Dillon talented? Rudi Johnson did not start the season opener because he was habitually late. Reggie Myles, one of the best ST player since they picked him up, was cut in the middle of this year for what seemed to clearly be disciplinary reasons. Duane Clemons has seemingly been in the doghouse ever since he had to sit out for substance abuse, again. I don't think there's much doubt as to who has control of the team, and I think Boomer is out of place for calling out Marvin like he did. And I'm imagining that has been duly noted by Lewis as well.

BTW, how's things going for the Brownies? ;)

deltachi8
01-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Are football fans, or as we don our football fan hats, more passionate about their teams and, especially, the losses? Or as Reds fans, have we just become accustomed to suckitude?

Just wondering that having read through the threads realting to Sunday's game.

savafan
01-12-2006, 11:04 AM

Ouch! We'll be better next year. Savage has said that he thinks Frye should be the starting QB next season. I'm still not sold on him though.

savafan
01-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Are football fans, or as we don our football fan hats, more pssionate about their teams and, especially, the losses? Or as Reds fans, have we just become accustomed to suckitude?

I think under the current Reds management group, we've become accustomed to the suckitude.

GAC
01-12-2006, 11:11 AM
But where does Cowher deny that his players don't say or do some of the antics you state? Look at what he says - “The last thing we ever do is comment on things that their players say,” Cowher said. “I could have a whole press conference with some of the things that come from that team. I would like to think it was said out of frustration.”

IMO, he wasn't exempting his team, or any team. But it's the Bengals, and their fans, who are, after this incident, saying that the Steelers players do this, and the Steelers players say that.... as if the Bengal's players aren't ever guilty of trash talking and various antics during pre-game, when the cameras aren't on, or even afterwards?

Lets take the "halo" of some of these Bengal players too. I've seen not only Johnson, But Henry and TJ do there share also.

There is way to much taunting and excessive celebration going on around the NFL. And I stated on an earlier thread on this subject that it can come back to haunt ANY team and promotes the very atmosphere we are currently seeing.

traderumor
01-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Football lends itself to not quickly getting over bitter defeats since the games are only once a week. In my younger days, I would be a mess for a week after the Buckeyes lost. Its also bad when they lose The Game because you have a month before getting back on the horse in the Bowl Game. Since this one took us to the offseason and was at the hands of a team that was already easy to hate, I think some dark sides have been exposed....including my own.

Danny Serafini
01-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Are football fans, or as we don our football fan hats, more pssionate about their teams and, especially, the losses? Or as Reds fans, have we just become accustomed to suckitude?

When you only have 16 shots at it instead of 162 the individual wins and losses take on a lot more meaning.

traderumor
01-12-2006, 11:20 AM
But where does Cowher deny that his players don't say or do some of the antics you state? Look at what he says - “The last thing we ever do is comment on things that their players say,” Cowher said. “I could have a whole press conference with some of the things that come from that team. I would like to think it was said out of frustration.”

IMO, he wasn't exempting his team, or any team. But it's the Bengals, and their fans, who are, after this incident, saying that the Steelers players do this, and the Steelers players say that.... as if the Bengal's players aren't ever guilty of trash talking and various antics during pre-game, when the cameras aren't on, or even afterwards?

Lets take the "halo" of some of these Bengal players too. I've seen not only Johnson, But Henry and TJ do there share also.

There is way to much taunting and excessive celebration going on around the NFL. And I stated on an earlier thread on this subject that it can come back to haunt ANY team and promotes the very atmosphere we are currently seeing.
Ok, we'll amend his statement: "The last thing we ever do is comment on things that their players say. We simply take care of business on the field. Now, I'm not saying we won't whine about what we think is a cheap shot on the field. So, we take out a knee here, a knee there. It's hard to contain my guys from laughing about it on the field because they know its coming. If the other team has a mouthy player, we treat him like he's meeting a gang in an alley. But, we never, ever comment on things that their players say."

Reds Fanatic
01-12-2006, 11:24 AM
That quote from Roethlisberger where he does not remember complaining is unbelievable. For 2 or 3 days after that 2nd game several times I saw articles where he called that a dirty hit from Thurman when talking to various sportswriters. In fact he only shut up about the hit when one of his own lineman told the writers that had accidentally tripped Thurman and that is why Roethlisberger was hit low.

westofyou
01-12-2006, 11:30 AM
That quote from Roethlisberger where he does not remember complaining is unbelievable. For 2 or 3 days after that 2nd game several times I saw articles where he called that a dirty hit from Thurman when talking to various sportswriters. In fact he only shut up about the hit when one of his own lineman told the writers that had accidentally tripped Thurman and that is why Roethlisberger was hit low.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05342/618972.stm

Steelers Notebook: Roethlisberger says hit to knee was dirty

Thursday, December 08, 2005
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlilsberger watches the clock run down from the sideline late in the fourth quarter Sunday against the Bengals at Heinz Field

Roethlisberger yesterday called it a dirty hit.

"I'm looking down the field," he said, going through the play. "I threw it to Hines [Ward] early, and I saw [Thurman] coming, so I tried to let my body go limp so I could go down and not hurt my knee.

"From what I heard, he said he got pushed or tripped or something; but anytime you go low on a quarterback, you know it's a little dirty."

The pass was complete to Ward for 18 yards, and another 15 was tackled on for Thurman's personal foul.

Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis contended this week that Steelers center Jeff Hartings tripped Thurman, although he acknowledged his rookie probably would be fined for the hit by the NFL.

"In this case the penalty may not have even been warranted because the defensive player was tripped running free to the quarterback by the offensive center," Lewis said. "Maybe it should have been an offensive penalty. But, again, it was called on Odell. So that's the way it goes."

Linebacker Brian Urlacher of the Bears said yesterday that while he did not see the hit, quarterbacks are protected too much by the league and the officials.

"Where are we supposed to hit the guy?" Urlacher said when told Roethlisberger called the hit dirty. "You can't hit him in the face, you can't hit him in the chest, you can't hit him in the knees. I don't understand where we are supposed to hit the guys.

"People call it dirty. Call it what you want. We can't hit him. We get fined, we get flagged ... there are so many rules for the quarterbacks now.'

deltachi8
01-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Is part of this the Bengal fans expecting to win the game? I dont know, just wondering. As a Steeler fan, i expected it to be a very good game, but couldn't say I expected the Steelers to win.

Sometimes the expectations play into it I suppose. In the AFC Title game last year, I was convinced there was no way the Steelers win that game, so when they lost, I was like oh well, time for the draft. Then again, I have often been accused of being an odd cat.

deltachi8
01-12-2006, 11:33 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05342/618972.stm

Steelers Notebook: Roethlisberger says hit to knee was dirty

Thursday, December 08, 2005
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlilsberger watches the clock run down from the sideline late in the fourth quarter Sunday against the Bengals at Heinz Field

Roethlisberger yesterday called it a dirty hit.

"I'm looking down the field," he said, going through the play. "I threw it to Hines [Ward] early, and I saw [Thurman] coming, so I tried to let my body go limp so I could go down and not hurt my knee.

"From what I heard, he said he got pushed or tripped or something; but anytime you go low on a quarterback, you know it's a little dirty."

The pass was complete to Ward for 18 yards, and another 15 was tackled on for Thurman's personal foul.

Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis contended this week that Steelers center Jeff Hartings tripped Thurman, although he acknowledged his rookie probably would be fined for the hit by the NFL.

"In this case the penalty may not have even been warranted because the defensive player was tripped running free to the quarterback by the offensive center," Lewis said. "Maybe it should have been an offensive penalty. But, again, it was called on Odell. So that's the way it goes."

Linebacker Brian Urlacher of the Bears said yesterday that while he did not see the hit, quarterbacks are protected too much by the league and the officials.

"Where are we supposed to hit the guy?" Urlacher said when told Roethlisberger called the hit dirty. "You can't hit him in the face, you can't hit him in the chest, you can't hit him in the knees. I don't understand where we are supposed to hit the guys.

"People call it dirty. Call it what you want. We can't hit him. We get fined, we get flagged ... there are so many rules for the quarterbacks now.'

Ben likes to complain. It isnt the first or last time he has said, um, questionable things in the media. He is maturing on the field quite well, but needs to start accelerating the growth curve off it as well.

westofyou
01-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Is part of this the Bengal fans expecting to win the game? Nah, it's just Bengal talk in January without an effigy of your owner or coach hanging behind you.

It's refreshing... in an enema sorta way however.

GAC
01-12-2006, 11:55 AM

What does that have to do with the current topic at hand? Another end around? :lol:

But if you must know - I think the Browns are on the upward swing. Sure, they got some holes to fill, but they also have made some progress, and IMO, they have the right personnel in that FO and coaching staff to do it. Former President Collins (who is the equivalent of a John Allen) tried to pull a "power play" over Kevin Savage - but look who is now gone. :)

That shows me this FO and owner knows what needs to be done. Collins' gripe against Savage was that he was "over his head" and was spending too much time on the road evaluating talent. Well D'uh - that is what any GM worth his salt is suppose to do, and that is Savage's forte.

But we're almost 30 Mil under the salary cap, and Savage, Crennel & Co. now know better what we need to do. You need the right people in that FO (tell the Reds that!).

But I'll tell ya what.... if and when you see similar situations, like what is going on with the Bengals right now, going on with the Browns, then you let me know. Because I won't "sidestep" them or try to make excuses. I didn't in the past with Davis and players with attitudes like Brown, Warren, and others. It especially pees me off when I see it on my own team. I'll call it out every time. Deal?

GAC
01-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Ouch! We'll be better next year. Savage has said that he thinks Frye should be the starting QB next season. I'm still not sold on him though.

Ya gotta have someone to throw to other then TE's. Is that whining? :lol:

Krusty
01-12-2006, 01:05 PM
But you're not.. you're a STEELERS fan.

Now, go the St.Louis Cardinals board and start telling them "what you're concerned about" concerning their team.

Let me know how that goes.

Yeah I'm a Steelers fan but you have to be a moron to support anything T.O. did last season, see how Terrell Owens ripped a locker room apart.

Try to be a good sport about it and see what it gets you? Dissension in the Bengals locker room really doesn't bother me but reading about Chad Johnson's actions at halftime along what Terrell Owens has done does and what kind of image it portrays the NFL.

traderumor
01-12-2006, 01:40 PM
What does that have to do with the current topic at hand? Another end around? :lol:

But if you must know - I think the Browns are on the upward swing. Sure, they got some holes to fill, but they also have made some progress, and IMO, they have the right personnel in that FO and coaching staff to do it. Former President Collins (who is the equivalent of a John Allen) tried to pull a "power play" over Kevin Savage - but look who is now gone. :)

That shows me this FO and owner knows what needs to be done. Collins' gripe against Savage was that he was "over his head" and was spending too much time on the road evaluating talent. Well D'uh - that is what any GM worth his salt is suppose to do, and that is Savage's forte.

But we're almost 30 Mil under the salary cap, and Savage, Crennel & Co. now know better what we need to do. You need the right people in that FO (tell the Reds that!).

But I'll tell ya what.... if and when you see similar situations, like what is going on with the Bengals right now, going on with the Browns, then you let me know. Because I won't "sidestep" them or try to make excuses. I didn't in the past with Davis and players with attitudes like Brown, Warren, and others. It especially pees me off when I see it on my own team. I'll call it out every time. Deal?
I gave you several examples that contradicted your assertion that Lewis is soft on the stars. He told two stars to hit the road in each of his first two seasons. I wouldn't say that is even close to being on his resume. The Brownies are relevant because I know they are your team and have plenty of problems of their own, such as a string of losing seasons, still hiring/firing FO people, and no immediate relief in sight.

westofyou
01-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Try to be a good sport about it and see what it gets you?You can't tell one man how to run his marriage and you can't tell a fan of another team (especially rivals) what should be going on in his teams locker room, seems pretty cut and dry to me.

CTA513
01-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Oprah just said that Chad Johnson beat up an old lady after the game.

Chip R
01-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Oprah just said that Chad Johnson beat up an old lady after the game.

I heard after the game he shot a man in Reno just to watch him die. :lol:

CTA513
01-12-2006, 04:18 PM

Inside sources at PFT said that Chad tried to take someones car at the airport by saying he was an FBI agent.

Yachtzee
01-12-2006, 04:23 PM
I heard that Chad stole Christmas.

deltachi8
01-12-2006, 04:26 PM
I heard that Chad stole Christmas.

no, he only tried to. Kemo lunged at his knee and caused him to drop the tree and gifts before getting them up the chimney. or something like that.

Playadlc
01-12-2006, 04:30 PM
You can't tell one man how to run his marriage and you can't tell a fan of another team (especially rivals) what should be going on in his teams locker room, seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Bingo.

dsmith421
01-12-2006, 05:01 PM

I've lived here for three weeks and never once shot a man to watch him die. I don't know where that stereotype comes from...

gonelong
01-12-2006, 05:07 PM
I've lived here for three weeks and never once shot a man to watch him die. I don't know where that stereotype comes from...

Some guys shoot, some guys get shot. Just how I like 'em, unsuspecting ... :)

GL

GAC
01-12-2006, 08:25 PM
The Brownies are relevant because I know they are your team and have plenty of problems of their own, such as a string of losing seasons, still hiring/firing FO people, and no immediate relief in sight.

First off - who says there is no immediate relief in sight? How closely did you follow the Browns this year other then the 6-10 record? That is in no way indicative of the improvements that I have seen on this team this year effected by Savage and Crennel. Where was our defense, which improved as the season progressed, compared to Cincy's? 16th to 28th. And Crennel saw this year as an evaluation period to see what personnel he needed to convert to a 3-4 defense. Lber Davis is a winner, but they need a guy or two to put pressure on the QB. They'll get'em. ;)

Offense - Yep. we got holes to fill. But obviously not in the running game. Droughns is the real deal. He showed that it wasn't a fluke in Denve,a nd rushed for over 1200 yds behind an improved offensive line (which is far better then what we had under Couch or Holcomb).

We had a rookie WR in Edwards who showed that he can make the big play (but got hurt later in the year). Bryant is a keeper (over 1,000 yds receiving). We need to get Winslow back and healthy, and improve our passing gamne to bring more balance and take the pressure off of Droughns/running game.

And we need to see if Frye is gonna be the real deal. He made some typical rookie mistakes (expected); but also showed resolve and in reading defenses. He's learning.

But I don't believe we are as far off as some state. We showed inconsistency this year, and got embarassed by teams like Detroit and Houston, no doubt. But we also played some excellent games against teams like the Colts (could have/should have have won IMO), beat the Bears, and the Bengals.

And I acknowledge those problems, and have in the past. But again, how is that relevant to Chad Johnson's antics? We aren't talking about a lack of talent, holes in the defense or offense, players injured, and miscellaneous other problems that normally plague any team; but an individual player's personality and attitude that appears, after this halftime episode (along with his previous history) to be affecting the cohesiveness (according to Thorton and others players, along with the local media) of the team as a unit? And if this is happening, then who is responsible for nipping it in the bud?

I'm not railing on Lewis. You'll find in previous posts that I have nothing but admiration and respect for this guy, and have said so numerous times. And you're right - he has addressed personnel problems in the past. But they weren't exactly winning then either, and were trying to build that. And everyone supported his moves with Dillon and Spikes. They were railing on this organization and wanted out. He accomodated them.

Now that they are winning though - is he somehow "apprehensive" to address a "personality" like Johnson's because of the fact they are now winning in the way it really needs to be addressed? Yes, he has taken some actions in the past - taken down his "hit list", and last week putting the clamps on him making any public comments prior to the Bengal game (which Johnson didn't like). And I can understand why after some of his previous public statements and boosts, which never came close to being fulfilled. I personally think the coaching staff and various players privately cringe at them; but are afraid to speak out, again, because they are winning, and simply don't want to "alienate" this guy who is very emotional/volatile. IMO, it goes far beyond simply being competitive.

But it's obviously affecting that clubhouse (at least according to Dave Latham, who said other players have come to him and said so after this lastest incident).

Only time will tell if anything is gonna come out of this all. I hope it doesn't. But seeing Johnson's history and personality, it's gonna be difficult IMO.

CTA513
01-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Lewis sets the record straight

A report was published on a rumor-mill Web site Monday that Johnson and wide receivers coach Hue Jackson were involved in a physical altercation at halftime of the Bengals' 27-13 loss.

"Chad's a very integral part of what we do," Lewis said. "There was no physical altercation. Chad was upset. He wanted to help us win the football game. He was frustrated. It happens all the time.

"When you lose a good player (such as Palmer), we needed people to step up and make plays. Chad wanted to do that. But Chad's not going to get in a fight with somebody. There are not two sets of rules. If Chad had hit somebody, he wouldn't have played in the second half."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060115/SPT02/601150335/1066

I saw this article post on another site.

GAC
01-15-2006, 07:51 PM
"If Chad had hit somebody, he wouldn't have played in the second half."

translation: he swung and missed. :lol: