PDA

View Full Version : Should the Reds try to get Clement?

REDREAD
01-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Clement seems to have fallen out of favor in Boston. There's rumors of him having off-field problems.. I think he could be had fairly easily in a trade. Would you trade Kearns or Pena for Clement? Or Someone else?

Let's assume the money isn't isn't critical (getting him isn't going to affect how long Dunn will stay, etc)

TRF
01-11-2006, 12:17 PM
I don't offer Kearns or Pena for Clement. I offer Freel. He's a good replacement for Damon, and Boston fans will love him.

RedsManRick
01-11-2006, 12:44 PM
I would trade for Clement in an instant. Even struggling last year, partially because of the comebacker incident, he put up a ERA under 4.50 and and a 1.3X WHIP. Unless there are real injury concerns we don't know about, that would be a great addition.

savafan
01-11-2006, 12:49 PM
I don't offer Kearns or Pena for Clement. I offer Freel. He's a good replacement for Damon, and Boston fans will love him.

And the trade will never be completed because the Boston front office will laugh themselves to death. All of them.

TeamSelig
01-11-2006, 01:12 PM
When I watched Clement last year in the playoffs, there was definitely something wrong. The comeback incident could have been the result of a poor 2nd half, but I'm not so sure it is the only problem. I think I only watched him pitch once in the playoffs (might have been his only game I'm not really sure), so I'm no Clement-expert, but I do know that trading for him is risky. He was Rick Ankiel wild with his pitches. Even on the balls that were strikes, they weren't located properly. Catcher sets up outside, he's throwing in, vice versa. Balls high and tight, when the catcher is low and away. Just things like that makes me think something is injured, or he's having mental issues. Either way, I think the value that you would need to give in order to get him is too high. However, if they are willing to trade him for a low return, then by all means, go for it.

I would definitely trade Freel for him, but like sava said, that would be laughed at.

rdiersin
01-11-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure the Freel for Clement deal would get completely laughed at, as long as the Reds took on all of his contract (which should be reasonable considering the reports of DanO trying to sign Morris). Someone else may need to be thrown in. Too bad we don't still have Howard. Also I would look at a Freel and Kearns/Pena for Clement and Delcarmen. If you could get Shoppach instead of Delcarmen, all the better.

TRF
01-11-2006, 02:47 PM
And the trade will never be completed because the Boston front office will laugh themselves to death. All of them.

Freel and a pitching prospect like Calvin Medlock might do it. With Damon gone, and Manny still a possibility to be traded who exactly plays OF in Boston? And who leads off? It's really not that far-fetched. Clement is obviously out of favor, and the Reds would likely be getting his entire salary, another plus.

Falls City Beer
01-11-2006, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't give up much to get Clement--he's really expensive, like a certain other FA that I won't mention.

I probably would go for a Freel for Clement, but that's about it--unless Boston wants to float up some payroll relief.

And then I palm off half of M_____'s contract on someone, while picking up the tab on the other.

RedsBaron
01-11-2006, 03:10 PM
I'd be willing to give the Bosox Aurilia and Womack for Clement. Wait, doesn't Boston still need a GM? I'll throw in DanO as well.;)

RedLegSuperStar
01-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Why Not Throw In David Weathers/ Kent Merker Along With Freel

Someone From: Milton, Harang, Claussen, Williams, Wilson (If Ready) Would Have To Head To The Pen.. My Choice Would Be Wilson. In Order For Wilson To Regain Strength And Control Again He'd Have To Work Low Innings And Build From That Into More Innings.

RedLegSuperStar
01-11-2006, 03:29 PM
But I Too Am Worried That MC Might Still Have Not Fully Healed From 2005 Injuries

savafan
01-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Might Be Still Have Not

Color me confused.

RedLegSuperStar
01-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Color me confused.

Apologies.. Edited

savafan
01-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Apologies.. Edited

It's okay, gave me a laugh.

KronoRed
01-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Milton for Clement.

;)

savafan
01-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Milton for Clement.

;)

I think DanO would have to sell his soul to the devil to get that one done.

Heath
01-11-2006, 10:14 PM
I think DanO would have to sell his soul to the devil to get that one done.

He kinda blew his soul shot when he took this job. Then there is the Satan & Rich Aurilia's soul.

Hondo
01-12-2006, 06:38 PM

I like the way you think...But I would rather hold onto Freel and his 37 Steals from last year...OBP% is a need too...

savafan
01-13-2006, 12:52 AM
You know what, after looking more closely at their stats, Clement for Freel with perhaps a fringe prospect thrown in isn't really too unfair of a trade. I still feel that Boston would laugh at the offer, but I no longer think it is as unbalanced as I originally did.

Cedric
01-13-2006, 09:25 AM
I've been saying for five years that Clement is a headcase and someone to avoid. With that contract it's even more apparent to stay away.

jmbraun773
01-13-2006, 10:18 AM
I think getting Clement would be a definite upgrade to our rotation. Maybe he does have some problems...but none as big as our rotation. Freel for Clement I believe is worth it.