PDA

View Full Version : Joel Hanrahan Anyone?

RedLegSuperStar
01-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Hanrahan was just DA'd by the dodgers to make room for Beaz and Carter. He is only 24 And This Is From Rotoworld.com / LA Times:

Dodgers designated RHP Joel Hanrahan for assignment.
Chuck Tiffany wasn't on the 40-man roster, so the Dodgers had to free up a spot as a result of the Danys Baez trade. Hanrahan, once regarded as one of the team's top prospects, has had his stock drop two years running. There's a good chance that he'll clear waivers.

cincinnati chili
01-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Like Edwin Jackson, I wonder if this guy got hurt, and nobody's saying it. Las Vegas shell-shock doesn't explain his total collapse.

Good call on your part. More upside than some of the chaff on our 40-man, although he's a longshot.

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/baseball/player.cgi?4492

ochre
01-15-2006, 10:23 AM
How many DFA'd players has O'Brien picked up that weren't at one time affiliated with the Rangers?

RedLegSuperStar
01-15-2006, 10:26 AM
How many DFA'd players has O'Brien picked up that weren't at one time affiliated with the Rangers?

Or Astros.. good point!

StillFunkyB
01-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Didn't see anything on being injured.

As long as he isn't another Balfour, absolutely.

buckeyenut
01-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Yeah. With the Reds farm system and 40 man roster, there SHOULD BE no way this guy clears waivers.

Joseph
01-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Flip a coin, like most Dan'O decisions.

He looks worth a shot to me.

cincinnati chili
01-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Didn't see anything on being injured.

As long as he isn't another Balfour, absolutely.

Just to clarify, I haven't seen anything saying that he or Edwin Jackson have been injured.

I'm merely extrapolating that if a guy blows away Double-A, then goes to Las Vegas and gets shelled (and his ratios fall apart), then he goes back to Double-A and he sucks (and his ratios fall apart), I usually assume the guy is concealing an injury.

It's getting very trendy to say that pitching in the PCL (particularly in Las Vegas) is stunting the growth of LA's pitchers. Curiously, for years, the Dodgers cranked out great pitchers despite pitching Triple-A in the CoorsField-like confines of Albuquerque.

My theory is that either the Dodgers are not taking care of their young arms and/or this is the come uppance for overdrafting and putting a lot of faith in high school guys.

Jpup
01-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Flip a coin, like most Dan'O decisions.

He looks worth a shot to me.

Somebody better let DanO know, because I doubt he keeps an eye on the waiver wire.

M2
01-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Just to clarify, I haven't seen anything saying that he or Edwin Jackson have been injured.

I'm merely extrapolating that if a guy blows away Double-A, then goes to Las Vegas and gets shelled (and his ratios fall apart), then he goes back to Double-A and he sucks (and his ratios fall apart), I usually assume the guy is concealing an injury.

It's getting very trendy to say that pitching in the PCL (particularly in Las Vegas) is stunting the growth of LA's pitchers. Curiously, for years, the Dodgers cranked out great pitchers despite pitching Triple-A in the CoorsField-like confines of Albuquerque.

My theory is that either the Dodgers are not taking care of their young arms and/or this is the come uppance for overdrafting and putting a lot of faith in high school guys.

Great post. IMO, the Dodgers have become wildly overaggressive with their pitching development. They want to get everyone to the majors at age 22 and all of their arms wind up looking like washouts by age 24 (which is where the rational graduation point for a pitching prospect). My guess is what you'll see from that system is pitchers going from untouchables to relatively cheap pickups with most of the successes coming for the teams that get them in trade after the Dodgers lose interest.

Yachtzee
01-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Did you hear about Hanrahan's wife? ;)

marcshoe
01-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Shoulder Tendonitis in early 2004, then shut down with a "tired shoulder" Sept. 1, 2004. Sounds minor, but you never know if there's more, I guess. Still worth signing, given the current state of the roster. Adding pitchers with actual skills in place of guys who will never be worth more than a last roster spot is always a positive.

Topcat
01-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Bring him in I am all for the 9 gambles and 3 succeding rule:beerme:

KronoRed
01-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Hanrahan and Harang?

I like it :D

StillFunkyB
01-16-2006, 08:11 AM
Hanrahan and Harang?

I like it :D

You'd drink a Sier......er, uh,.....Sprite to that eh? :devil: