PDA

View Full Version : Felipe Lopez in 2006

harangatang
01-16-2006, 03:14 AM
Per Marc's blog

"[T]he Lopez negotiations could get dicey. He's a Scott Boras guy, and I'm sure the superagent is licking his chops with Felipe becoming first-year arb-eligible after the year he had."

I didn't realize FeLo's agent was Scott Boras and that's not good for the Reds in their current state. I don't know what's going to happen with Castinelli after he takes over the ownership. But if the Reds retain the 60 million payroll as in 2005 it might be hard to juggle a huge contract. I hope the Reds don't up and trade him, especially after Lopez became the NL's most productive offensive SS. I also hope that this and the stockpiling of overaged middle infielders have nothing in common.

Jpup
01-16-2006, 03:29 AM
Per Marc's blog

"[T]he Lopez negotiations could get dicey. He's a Scott Boras guy, and I'm sure the superagent is licking his chops with Felipe becoming first-year arb-eligible after the year he had."

I didn't realize FeLo's agent was Scott Boras and that's not good for the Reds in their current state. I don't know what's going to happen with Castinelli after he takes over the ownership. But if the Reds retain the 60 million payroll as in 2005 it might be hard to juggle a huge contract. I hope the Reds don't up and trade him, especially after Lopez became the NL's most productive offensive SS. I also hope that this and the stockpiling of overaged middle infielders have nothing in common.

lets worry about how he does in 2006 before we worry about his agent. He's not going to get crazy money after just one good year, at least, I don't think so.

KronoRed
01-16-2006, 05:36 AM
lets worry about how he does in 2006 before we worry about his agent. He's not going to get crazy money after just one good year, at least, I don't think so.
He'll ask for it, this is Boras after all ;)

Ravenlord
01-16-2006, 07:34 AM
He'll ask for it, this is Boras after all ;)of course he will. and then reality will hit. no team will give a player the amount of money Boras demands in their first two or three years of arb eligability.

Red Heeler
01-16-2006, 08:02 AM
I wonder if now wouldn't be a good time to cash in on Felipe. If Tampa would go for B.J. Upton, Joey Gathright, and Jamie Sheilds for Felipe and filler, it would be awfully hard to turn down.

cincinnati chili
01-16-2006, 09:58 AM
I wonder if now wouldn't be a good time to cash in on Felipe. If Tampa would go for B.J. Upton, Joey Gathright, and Jamie Sheilds for Felipe and filler, it would be awfully hard to turn down.

I think that only a dolt would turn down that trade. If Upton still qualified as a "prospect" (he played too much in the majors in '04), he'd be in the top 5 in all of baseball. Gathright is, at minimum going to be a plus centerfielder and graeat fourth outfielder and at maximum going to be Juan Pierre type with more speed. Shields is a live arm, although he did repeat double-A

A fairer trade would be if Wily Mo Pena was that "filler."

Red Heeler
01-16-2006, 11:57 AM
I think that only a dolt would turn down that trade. If Upton still qualified as a "prospect" (he played too much in the majors in '04), he'd be in the top 5 in all of baseball. Gathright is, at minimum going to be a plus centerfielder and graeat fourth outfielder and at maximum going to be Juan Pierre type with more speed. Shields is a live arm, although he did repeat double-A

A fairer trade would be if Wily Mo Pena was that "filler."

None of the three have done anything in the majors to this point. The number of SS that put up numbers close to Lopez last year can be counted on one hand. Shortstops who are a viable part of the offense are in shorter supply than even starting pitchers. The return on one should be steep.

cincinnati chili
01-16-2006, 12:35 PM
None of the three have done anything in the majors to this point. The number of SS that put up numbers close to Lopez last year can be counted on one hand. Shortstops who are a viable part of the offense are in shorter supply than even starting pitchers. The return on one should be steep.

I agree. But you're assuming Lopez will keep it up. I have no doubt that Upton will out-hit Lopez in his career. The concern about Upton is his defense, the same concern for Lopez.

Maybe my trade was pushing it, but there's no way I'd turn down that first trade. Tampa would never offer it though.

Upton is four years younger than Lopez (and three-four years cheaper), and I personally think it would be "even money" as to who would have a better offensive year in '06, if both were guaranteed major league spots.

Superdude
01-16-2006, 04:40 PM
But you're assuming Lopez will keep it up. I have no doubt that Upton will out-hit Lopez in his career. The concern about Upton is his defense, the same concern for Lopez.

Upton's a great prospect, but I don't think his career potential is much different than Lopez.

cincinnati chili
01-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Upton's a great prospect, but I don't think his career potential is much different than Lopez.

You may be right, as baseball is an uncertain thing. But I'd put my money on Upton. He already has better plate discipline and comparable power, despite being four+ years younger.

Lopez will only be 26 on May 12th, so it's reasonable to think that he'll probably improve a little. But we are talking about a guy with a .322 obp as a major leaguer, who's a minus defender. Speed is an overrated category, but Upton did swipe 44 bases last year at a nearly 80% clip. Given his .390+ minor league OBP, with good power, we could be talking a Hall-of-Fame caliber leadoff hitter.

Upton needs to settle down defensively, but I don't think it will take him 1500 major league at-bats to find his stroke. That's what it's taken Felipe, and there's still a chance that the league will adjust to him.

I like Felipe, but I'd pay his ticket to get Upton with Gathright thrown in.