PDA

View Full Version : Westofyou Pens a Cool bit about the history of Reds' ownership and its links to STL

cincinnati chili
01-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Here's a write up on it at http://www.baseballmusings.com

See the four-part series at http://redlegnation.com/2006/01/16/borrowing-a-cup-of-sugar-or-how-branch-rickey-helped-fix-the-reds-more-than-once/

Good stuff!

pedro
01-16-2006, 12:46 PM
He's not heavy. He's my brother.

Thanks Chili!

Cyclone792
01-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Excellent writeup! :thumbup:

KronoRed
01-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Good stuff :clap:

RFS62
01-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Outstanding stuff, as usual.

traderumor
01-18-2006, 11:24 AM
WOY,

I am really enjoying these articles. Is this your own primary research or do you have a primary source that is available? What primers do you recommend for digging deeper into Reds history?

westofyou
01-18-2006, 11:33 AM
WOY,

I am really enjoying these articles. Is this your own primary research or do you have a primary source that is available? What primers do you recommend for digging deeper into Reds history?

First of all thanks to all who enjoyed it, I know I enjoyed doing it.

TR, the Rhodes books are great for seeds, the Lee Allen Book which is very hard to find is the best source for pre 1947 stuff out there as far as the Reds go, as is the Putman Books for any other of the original 8 franchises.

For this piece though I used the Rhodes Books, Allens, some Seymour, Tiegel, The Sporting News Baseball Guides, old newspapers and a 1959 SI article on MacPhail and Hub Walkers, Big Red Machine. And probably some others I have in my collection for this and that.

But Rhodes Redleg Journal is the piece that allowed me to build the framework.

traderumor
01-18-2006, 12:17 PM
First of all thanks to all who enjoyed it, I know I enjoyed doing it.

TR, the Rhodes books are great for seeds, the Lee Allen Book which is very hard to find is the best source for pre 1947 stuff out there as far as the Reds go, as is the Putman Books for any other of the original 8 franchises.

For this piece though I used the Rhodes Books, Allens, some Seymour, Tiegel, The Sporting News Baseball Guides, old newspapers and a 1959 SI article on MacPhail and Hub Walkers, Big Red Machine. And probably some others I have in my collection for this and that.

I knew Rhodes had done something along those lines but was not finding it in searches. Thanks for the recommendation.

Heath
01-18-2006, 03:37 PM

Best. Birthday. Present. Ever.

Even got The Big Red Machine.

I never can find the Crosley Field book - I got one for my Dad - I figure I'll have it when the time comes to pass.

Also - a great read - is the one they wrote on the 1869-1870 Reds. Great stuff.

Thank goodness for the local library.

westofyou
01-18-2006, 03:45 PM
I never can find the Crosley Field book - I got one for my Dad - I figure I'll have it when the time comes to pass.

http://tinyurl.com/a388e