PDA

View Full Version : Reds sale officially approved...

BrooklynRedz
01-19-2006, 01:56 PM
per Bud at the Winter Meetings. Just an FYI.

Heath
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Per Marc (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/) - looks like a deal

Let the real speculation begin.

A year ago next Wednesday - RedZone hit the record for most users at one time (at 408) - anyone want to speculate if that gets topped tommorrow around 4?

(BTW - Rich Aurilia got signed on Jan 25th last year.)

redsfan30
01-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Hopefully today is Dan O'Brien's last day on the job.

Reds4Life
01-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Brooklyn, are you hearing any rumblings that DanO might be gone soon?

Heath
01-19-2006, 02:13 PM

Please, pretty please. With sugar on top??

zombie-a-go-go
01-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Per Marc (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/) - looks like a deal

Let the real speculation begin.

A year ago next Wednesday - RedZone hit the record for most users at one time (at 408) - anyone want to speculate if that gets topped tommorrow around 4?

(BTW - Rich Aurilia got signed on Jan 25th last year.)

If the announcement is on the same level as the Aurilia signing, I may very well cry. Have you ever seen a grown man cry? Not a pretty thing. Kind of embarassing, really.

BrooklynRedz
01-19-2006, 02:22 PM

To be honest, I'm not hearing much of anything right now coming out of Cincy. I'll try doing some digging tonight, though, and will certainly let you know if anything shakes out.

I will say that in a conversation I had about a month ago with someone close the Reds FO, there is a deep sense of unease rolling through the halls. But, I guess that's not exactly news to anyone.

steig
01-19-2006, 02:25 PM
let the firings begin and clean up this mess...please

Reds Fanatic
01-19-2006, 02:33 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060119&content_id=1298106&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- It took less than five minutes for the majority ownership of the Reds to pass hands from Carl Lindner to Robert Castellini on Thursday morning.
The Cincinnati produce magnate waited patiently outside a ballroom where the quarterly joint owners meeting had just begun. Castellini was chatting amiably and off-the-record with a pair of reporters when Larry Lucchino, the Red Sox president, ducked his head through the wooden double doorway and beckoned Castellini into the inner sanctum as one of Major League Baseball's 30 chosen.

Castellini received a loud ovation as he replaced Lindner, who has had control of the franchise since 1999 and now will take a minority stake of the Reds, who were founded in 1882 and are widely acknowledged as baseball's oldest franchise. The vote was unanimous.

Castellini's stewardship will be formally rolled out on Friday at a press conference in Cincinnati, and he cordially asked not to be quoted before then.

Two other members of the purchasing group, the brothers Thomas L. and William J. Williams Jr., have the Reds in their bloodline. Their father and uncle were owners of the franchise from 1966 to 1984, before Marge Schott took control as majority owner.

The club reportedly was valued at $270 million, and Castellini is buying about 70 percent. Lindner purchased the team from Schott for $67 million. It is the third shift of a majority portion of an MLB franchise in the last year, following the sales of the Milwaukee Brewers and the Tampa Devil Rays. That leaves the Washington Nationals, Minnesota Twins and Atlanta Braves still on the market.

Lindner aside, Reds minority owners Bill Reik Jr., a New York investment broker, and George Strike are keeping their shares.

Castellini is a former minority partner with the Texas Rangers and has been in the same position with the St. Louis Cardinals for the last decade. He's a Cincinnati native and continues a long pattern of keeping the Reds under the stewardship of locally based owners.

He once owned a group of buildings near old Riverfront Stadium identified by a large sign that read "Castellini Produce." But Castellini sold the 24-acre parcel for $36.5 million to Hamilton County, which tore down the buildings to make way for Paul Brown Stadium, the current home of the National Football League's Bengals.

Riverfront, named Cinergy Field in its final years, was imploded after the 2002 season. It was replaced by Great American Ball Park, which was constructed on an adjacent lot. The two new stadiums sandwich the now empty spot where the Big Red Machine won World Series titles in 1975 and 1976, and Pete Rose passed Ty Cobb to take over the lead on the all-time hits list in 1985.

Castellini, 64, is still involved in his produce business but intends to spend a great deal of time resurrecting the Reds, who haven't won the World Series since 1990 and haven't made the playoffs since 1995, when they swept the Dodgers in a National League Division Series and in turn were swept by the Braves in the NL Championship Series.

Matt700wlw
01-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Hopefully today is Dan O'Brien's last day on the job.

Don't count on it.

jmcclain19
01-19-2006, 03:01 PM
I really hope no one is expecting anything more than Status Quo tomorrow.

Don't get your hopes up that anything major will happen.

Puffy
01-19-2006, 03:03 PM

DanO has at least 8 more months to screw up the Reds future.

Caveat Emperor
01-19-2006, 04:18 PM

The bigger issue, I think, is whether or not Castellini is bringing in someone over DanO's head to run things. I think it's far more likely that DanO is retained with someone making the decisions above him than it is DanO is replaced outright at this point.

MikeS21
01-19-2006, 04:24 PM
The bigger issue, I think, is whether or not Castellini is bringing in someone over DanO's head to run things. I think it's far more likely that DanO is retained with someone making the decisions above him than it is DanO is replaced outright at this point.

I agree with Caveat.

I really think that with only one more year on DanO's contract, he will stick around, unless he totally refuses to cooperate with the new ownership's philosophy. If these owners are baseball savy at all, they know that there is no one in the current FA market who can help this team in 2006, nor are the Reds going to get any substantial trade value out of any player, unless it is Dunn or Lopez getting traded.

I think the biggest change we will see initially, will be perhaps that 2-3 advisors will be brought in, who have some expertise in various areas of baseball operations. One guy might be a major league talent evaluator, and another might be a minor league scout. And if we're real lucky, perhaps a sabermatrician will be brought in.

A word to the wise is sufficient. If O'Brien wants a favorable reference given to his next prospective employer, he would do well to pay attention to what these advisors tell him.

westofyou
01-19-2006, 04:25 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4714

While the Reds work towards bridging the gap with Dunn and Lopez, we are left to wonder what will happen with Cincinnati in 2006. With ownership changing hands the team may well be circling the wagons again for 2007. That the Reds are focusing on one year-deals rather than saddling themselves with long-term deals for players they still control is a prudent strategy. The only player the Reds currently have money committed to for the 2008 season is the revitalized Ken Griffey Jr.. While the team and its fans may like to be rid of Eric Milton and his price tag, the fact that the Reds are maintaining a flexible payroll will allow them to move quickly when/if they get closer to contending.

RFS62
01-19-2006, 04:27 PM

What a tragic missed opportunity that would be.

By keeping DanO and his administration in power, he's giving tacit approval to the job they've done.

What could he possible have to learn watching DanO operate this franchise?

A bold move could do so much to energize the fan base.

Kc61
01-19-2006, 04:42 PM

Agree. Folks shouldn't focus too much on whether DanO is fired. The first major question is who Castellini hires to run the baseball operations. That may not happen tomorrow, but should happen quite soon I would think.

Aronchis
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Cast won't hire the GM, the PofO will. If Cast doesn't bring in somebody to handle Operations, that is a bad sign.

As I said earlier, it isn't who is fired, but who is hired.........or not.

BrooklynRedz
01-19-2006, 05:06 PM

By keeping DanO and his administration in power, he's giving tacit approval to the job they've done.

I respectfully disagree. While DanO is has done little to help (perhaps much to hurt?) this franchise, he is by no means the biggest thorn in club's paw. The new owners have quite a job on their hands: turning around a franchise seemingly possessing a one-way ticket to join the Pirates in the doldrums. The entire franchise needs a new way of thinking, a new way of looking at the game...heck, a new way of doing business entirely. No sense in wasting time with DanO's replacement now. Too much to be done to lay the groundwork to assure the next GM has the tools in place to succeed.

RFS62
01-19-2006, 05:13 PM
I respectfully disagree. While DanO is has done little to help (perhaps much to hurt?) this franchise, he is by no means the biggest thorn in club's paw. The new owners have quite a job on their hands: turning around a franchise seemingly possessing a one-way ticket to join the Pirates in the doldrums. The entire franchise needs a new way of thinking, a new way of looking at the game...heck, a new way of doing business entirely. No sense in wasting time with DanO's replacement now. Too much to be done to lay the groundwork to assure the next GM has the tools in place to succeed.

I understand what you're saying. I was saying it myself when DanO took office.

I was all for giving him time to prove himself. I was one of his most staunch defenders, I was so happy to see Bowden gone.

I don't see what we have left to see from DanO to make a decision. If Castellini comes in and says he's going to take his time to assess the situation, certainly that would be a conservative business approach that would be hard to fault.

But it's all we've seen from this franchise for 5 straight years of losing. A legacy of failure. A completely disgruntled and disinterested fan base.

I contend that DanO is history, whether it's tomorrow, next week, or the end of his current contract. So why wait, when a symbolic gesture that might give hope to the fans that somehow, someway things are going to be different now?

Show some balls, Mr. Castellini. Come in with a flourish. Make a statement that mediocrity is no longer tolerated.

You think that wouldn't excite the fans?

You think ANYONE other than DanO's family is hoping that he keeps his job?

Caveat Emperor
01-19-2006, 05:14 PM
The entire franchise needs a new way of thinking, a new way of looking at the game...heck, a new way of doing business entirely. No sense in wasting time with DanO's replacement now. Too much to be done to lay the groundwork to assure the next GM has the tools in place to succeed.

The problem is that Dan O'Brien continues to squander opportunities to bring those tools into the fold with the Reds. He deals players for 4-pitch pitchers with no velocity and inability to get hitters out above the AAA level and has shown little ability to put together deals that improve either the ballclub or the farm system in any measurable way.

On the Free Agent front, he's shown absolutely zero ability to evaluate major league talent, overpaying for Milton and Wilson, and bringing in overrated "name" utilitymen like Aurillia and Womack that do little to improve the defense or the offense of the ballclub.

Meanwhile, on the home front, he's failed miserably at his task of getting the players the Reds HAVE grown through the farm system to sign on with the club long term to create cost-certainty and, in several cases, has shown what I'd consider outright incomptence in managing players like Edwin Encarnacion and Austin Kearns.

DanO is part of the problem and almost certainly NOT part of the solution. The fact that the team is starved for "tools" is a direct result of having a complete tool for a GM.

Reds4Life
01-19-2006, 05:27 PM
This franchise, while planning for the future, needs something that will excite the fans NOW. DanO & his pals Tony Womack and Richy boy ain't going to cut it.

DanO will not solve this teams problems, so why waste time and keep him around? Just get it over with and start searching for a GM to lead this team into the future.

Aronchis
01-19-2006, 05:34 PM
This franchise, while planning for the future, needs something that will excite the fans NOW. DanO & his pals Tony Womack and Richy boy ain't going to cut it.

DanO will not solve this teams problems, so why waste time and keep him around? Just get it over with and start searching for a GM to lead this team into the future.

Nope, DanO's no solution, but the guy that is, probably isn't available right now, if he is, he will be brought in, but it is 2006, the time for "GM" searching is probably gone. Patience, patience. Start with PofO first.

M2
01-19-2006, 05:36 PM
My worry with DanO is that he's created a 2007-9 problem. It can be fixed, but something needs to be done quick. DanO's only going to make it worse. Unless you want to pluck someone with a current MLB GM job, then the field should be wide open. Assistant GMs are not locked into their current jobs if they have an immediate chance to move up the ladder. Even if the organization plans to take some time to find that permanent GM it would still be wise to bring in a new team president (something Castellini should have lined up when his offer got accepted) and sack DanO in favor of an interim committee led by that team president. You don't want the old regime making decisions for and acting as the public face of the new one.

Anyway, I still say it's beyond strange to have a press conference at 4 p.m. the day after the news breaks. For instance, I had to cover breaking news of a tech industry sale that went down today. There's no 24 hours of radio silence.

flyer85
01-19-2006, 05:50 PM
My worry with DanO is that he's created a 2007-9 problem. exactly ... all DanO has done since he got here is push the date for a return to winning farther out in the future. Every day he stays just delays the possibility

Falls City Beer
01-19-2006, 05:52 PM
My worry with DanO is that he's created a 2007-9 problem. It can be fixed, but something needs to be done quick. DanO's only going to make it worse. Unless you want to pluck someone with a current MLB GM job, then the field should be wide open. Assistant GMs are not locked into their current jobs if they have an immediate chance to move up the ladder. Even if the organization plans to take some time to find that permanent GM it would still be wise to bring in a new team president (something Castellini should have lined up when his offer got accepted) and sack DanO in favor of an interim committee led by that team president. You don't want the old regime making decisions for and acting as the public face of the new one.

Anyway, I still say it's beyond strange to have a press conference at 4 p.m. the day after the news breaks. For instance, I had to cover breaking news of a tech industry sale that went down today. There's no 24 hours of radio silence.

DanO is future perfect, baby.

Chip R
01-19-2006, 05:58 PM
You think ANYONE other than DanO's family is hoping that he keeps his job?

Probably about 29 other baseball teams.

I agree that DanO has to go or at the very least have him answer to a superior on all baseball matters. But we thought DanO would be an improvement on JimBo. Turns out that wasn't the case. Could a new GM be worse than DanO? Even marginally better isn't going to cut it. Like Brooklyn said, they need a new way of doing business entirely. They need bold moves. The last time the Reds did anything bold was when they traded for Jr. I know these guys are late from the Cards ownership group but they are from Cincinnati. That spells status quo to me. It spells old school to the nth degree. Castellini and the Williamses may have bold things to say tomorrow but do not judge them by their words, judge them by their actions. They may say they won't accept losing and those in charge will be held responsible but they may then give DanO a 3 year extention cause they like his "commitment to building from within."

Puffy
01-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Yup, if/when DanO stays he will push the Reds organization back even farther. So we are looking at two full years of cleaning up to do when a new GM gets in here (if he stays on, as I expect, thru the 2006 season)

Falls City Beer
01-19-2006, 06:06 PM

Yes. No f'n excuses. Succeed or die. Do that groundwork-laying crap where I can't see it; win now. Right now.

RFS62
01-19-2006, 06:06 PM
I know we're probably not going to sack DanO anytime soon.

Doesn't stop me from hoping, though.

Conservative, steady, mired in mediocrity. God forbid a bold move that might give hope to the hopeless.

I sense hopelessness in RedsNation.

We've been whipped down pretty good the last few years.

How good is that for ticket sales, Mr. Castellini?

Mario-Rijo
01-19-2006, 06:07 PM
"He's (Castellini) a partner in the Cardinals and he's been with Bill DeWitt in other deals," Selig said. "Everybody raves about him. He's very personable and a Cincinnati man. I think it's great. Frankly this was an easy one. This was quick."

Huh yeah lightning quick huh. Not quick enough to save this seasons version thanks MLB!!!!!!!!!!

Heath
01-19-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm willing to toss 2006 out the window if 2007,8,9,-etc proves to be an upswing for this franchise.

Here's a bold move to shake things up - since we know this is going to be a lost season - pull a Tampa Bay - offer free parking, allow coolers in to the park, take the 500 level seats and call them 500 Level Seating for $5.00 on all games - We know it can't be GA do to the "Festival Seating" rule in Hamilton Co - Bring people to the game in droves. Most people might come for the cheap tickets - but spend on the snacks. Can't hurt to find out.

I think you got to sack DanO - Let Kullman/Maddox run the show for a while. Hire a Director of Baseball Operations - get a GM - show the scouts who is in charge and what it will take to stock the system. Get a PR guy that really can be a PR guy. Maintain professionalism on the highest level. We don't need a GM with leather pants, or a first baseman who hugs - we need guys who want to be Redlegs - and can work TOGETHER in a environment that promotes WINNING.

This isn't Kansas City & we better darn well begin acting like Cincinnati and the greater Reds Country area.

NewEraReds
01-19-2006, 07:35 PM

no it isnt. who could they replace dan o with right now? exactly. keeping says nothing other than well, NOTHING

westofyou
01-19-2006, 07:39 PM
who could they replace dan o with right now?

Flat Stanley is my vote, couldn't be worse

http://www.millbrookcsd.org/elm/flatstanley/FlatStanley.gif

Cyclone792
01-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Castellini just needs to throw an enormous amount of money at Theo Epstein and his pals and give them 100 percent control. Total power and a wealth of extra cash could maybe convince Theo. If not, well let the fan base know that they tried to bring him in.

At the very least Castellini needs to sit down and read this book. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761140182/qid=1137717768/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-9352829-3119309?n=507846&s=books&v=glance)

creek14
01-19-2006, 07:50 PM
no it isnt. who could they replace dan o with right now? exactly. keeping says nothing other than well, NOTHING
Holy crap. No one making no moves would be better than some of the stuff DanO has done.

I don't care if they really do name Flat Stanley as GM, at least that would show me RCast has some balls and isn't going to settle for the likes of DanO.

pedro
01-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Frankly I think this guy would have a better chance of constructing a winning team.

http://reylab.bidmc.harvard.edu/people/curious-wedfafds.jpg

RFS62
01-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Holy crap. No one making no moves would be better than some of the stuff DanO has done.

I don't care if they really do name Flat Stanley as GM, at least that would show me RCast has some balls and isn't going to settle for the likes of DanO.

Flat Stanley has more personality than DanO.

Just say no to Status Quo.

dman
01-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Right now, at this point, I would like more than anything to see them bid John Allen his farewell. I can live with DanO finishing out this season as the GM.

MrCinatit
01-19-2006, 08:09 PM
having Dan0 work on the future of your ballclub is like having Jacques Clouseau disarm a nuclear bomb.

i would love to see some changes happen, and fast. i am pretty certain it will not happen, but i would love to see it.

WVRedsFan
01-19-2006, 08:27 PM
having Dan0 work on the future of your ballclub is like having Jacques Clouseau disarm a nuclear bomb.

i would love to see some changes happen, and fast. i am pretty certain it will not happen, but i would love to see it.

I'm not certain of that at all. And neither is Dan O'Brien. RCast (I like that, Creek) needs to do something dramatic tomorrow. If he gets up, says he loves Cincinnati and the Reds, says he is committed to winning and does nothing, the whole collective Reds Nation (if there still is one by now) will sigh and continue making plans to ignore the 2006 season. I hope he knows that. If not, we're in more trouble than I thought we were.

RFS62
01-19-2006, 08:32 PM
This thread was closed, although I can't believe it should have been. But a few are on record with their predictions here.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42156

RFS62
01-19-2006, 08:43 PM

I'm thinking you mean Inspector Clouseau, and not Jacques Cousteau. Although Cousteau probably wouldn't be very good at the bomb thing. And he's dead. Other than that, carry on.

Cyclone792
01-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Castellini just needs to throw an enormous amount of money at Theo Epstein and his pals and give them 100 percent control. Total power and a wealth of extra cash could maybe convince Theo. If not, well let the fan base know that they tried to bring him in.

At the very least Castellini needs to sit down and read this book. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761140182/qid=1137717768/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-9352829-3119309?n=507846&s=books&v=glance)

RCast didn't act quick enough! :angry:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2298743

MrCinatit
01-19-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm thinking you mean Inspector Clouseau, and not Jacques Cousteau. Although Cousteau probably wouldn't be very good at the bomb thing. And he's dead. Other than that, carry on.

Inspector Clouseau and Jacques Clouseau are one and the same :D

Caveat Emperor
01-19-2006, 08:51 PM
RCast didn't act quick enough! :angry:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2298743

Hey, if the Reds are looking for a kid GM of their own, I'm more than happy to throw my hat into the ring.

Casty, if you're reading this: I graduate in May, and I work on the cheap. :laugh:

RFS62
01-19-2006, 08:54 PM
Inspector Clouseau and Jacques Clouseau are one and the same :D

It appears that you are correct, sir.

http://www.observa.com.uy/voy/media_global/fotos/943c.jpg

Cyclone792
01-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Hey, if the Reds are looking for a kid GM of their own, I'm more than happy to throw my hat into the ring.

Casty, if you're reading this: I graduate in May, and I work on the cheap. :laugh:

:laugh: We can put together the RedsZone Minions and go grab a World Series ring or three. :evil:

KronoRed
01-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Any replacement would be better.

KronoRed
01-19-2006, 09:39 PM

I expect at least a year of "evaluation"

2006 is already down the tube, 2007 is in serious danger.

Topcat
01-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Either way let the healing begin !

Nugget
01-19-2006, 10:58 PM
This will probably get pummelled but I don't agree that the first thing on the new ownership's mind should be to fire DonO. He has done some good things and some bad things. Just because he hasn't managed the club in line with some members of REDSZONE doesn't mean he has done a good job. There are better GMs out there but they aren't moving. Look at Omar Minaya he has brought in the names but they still don't contend. Milton had a horrific season but if you look at any other pitcher being piad the same from last year's free agent market they did not do comparatively better (especially the alternative of Clement). I'm willing to give him a longer go especially given some of the younger signings.

RFS62
01-19-2006, 11:07 PM
This will probably get pummelled but I don't agree that the first thing on the new ownership's mind should be to fire DonO. He has done some good things and some bad things. Just because he hasn't managed the club in line with some members of REDSZONE doesn't mean he has done a good job. There are better GMs out there but they aren't moving. Look at Omar Minaya he has brought in the names but they still don't contend. Milton had a horrific season but if you look at any other pitcher being piad the same from last year's free agent market they did not do comparatively better (especially the alternative of Clement). I'm willing to give him a longer go especially given some of the younger signings.

I was one of DanO's biggest supporters when he was hired.

I was all about giving him a chance to show what he's got.

That's not an open ended endorsement. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. Just as he cut off the head of Haynes and Jiminez for poor performance, so should his fate be sealed. It's not personal. It's professional.

What more do we need to see to make a judgment? Is the jury still out on DanO?

Should we entrust even one more day to his leadership?

I really don't expect Castellini to sack him tomorrow. My fondest hopes are that he'll take a week or two and let him save some face and replace him around Feb. 1.

I know that's improbable. A man has to have a dream, though.

Krusty
01-20-2006, 12:48 AM
Wasn't it mentioned that Castellini like what Jim Bowden did as GM? You wouldn't think he would re-hire Bowden down the road and bring in Pinella to be manager?

KronoRed
01-20-2006, 12:52 AM
Wasn't it mentioned that Castellini like what Jim Bowden did as GM? You wouldn't think he would re-hire Bowden down the road and bring in Pinella to be manager?
:angry:

Pinella good..Bowden..BAD.

Reds4Life
01-20-2006, 12:57 AM

Bill Reik, who is married to Bowden's ex-wife, is still a minority owner. As long as he's around I'd say the chances of Bowden returning to the Reds are zero, not that I'd want him back anyway.

SteelSD
01-20-2006, 02:16 AM

Dan O'Brien was handed a heck of an offensive club- one that only came together by accident considering his refusal to allow Felipe Lopez to develop at the MLB level in 2005. He took a bad pitching staff and made it worse. There was exactly ONE full-time MLB starter who pitched as badly as Eric Milton in 2005 (Jose Lima).

The very idea that a Matt Clement didn't produce "comparitively better" numbers is ludicrous considering that Clement was worth over 40 Runs less than was Eric Milton if Clement had only pitched Milton's Innings. 40 Runs. In short, Clement (at his worst) instead of Milton would have erased about 58% of the Reds' negative Run Differential in 2005. Yeah. One guy. 40 Runs. Paid less. At his worst.

All O'Brien is doing right now is damage. The new ownership needs to stop it and stop it now.

M2
01-20-2006, 02:28 AM
Let's see, Omar Minaya came in and the Mets improved by 12 games in his first season. The offense improved by 38 runs, going from 12th to 7th in the NL. The pitching/defense improved by 83 runs, going from 8th to 3rd in the NL.

The Expos improved 25 games when he took them over with a corresponding across-the-board improvement in the team numbers.

DanO and Minaya aren't even the same species of GM. Minaya's a successful mammal of some variety. DanO's a plant.

Caveman Techie
01-20-2006, 08:55 AM
Everyone needs to just take a deep breath and calm down. I don't expect any big heads to roll up front. It would be just foolish to make the wrong move by hiring the wrong man for the job 8 months earlier than the right man in 8 months.

What I do expect is for Casteneli to hire someone to be an evaluator to see who if anyone in the front office should be kept.

The earth isn't going to end if DanO is allowed to finish out his contract (under supervision) or if John Allen is allowed to sign checks till next year. The only area I wouldn't want DanO really making the decisions on is the draft this year I would really like to see someone else to make all of those decisions.

RFS62
01-20-2006, 09:01 AM
The earth isn't going to end if DanO is allowed to finish out his contract (under supervision) or if John Allen is allowed to sign checks till next year. The only area I wouldn't want DanO really making the decisions on is the draft this year I would really like to see someone else to make all of those decisions.

So why are we keeping him then?

To what end?

We're afraid to let him run the draft, and we're afraid to let him make a trade.

I'd like to think that Castellini has already been thinking about the kind of man he wants for GM. He's had plenty of time to get ready.

The world won't end if Castellini makes no moves. It will, however, signal more "Status Quo" to a long suffering fan base. And to what end? Anyone think DanO will be rehired when his deal is up? Anyone need to see any more to decide?

A new broom sweeps clean.

Caveman Techie
01-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Because he is under contract through this year. Because while Castellini may have an idea of the man he wants for GM maybe that man isn't available yet. Or as stated above it would be more fruitful to take time to make the right decisions than to just rush to judgement and make the wrong ones now, just to be doing something.

There is really not much that anyone would be able to do to help the Reds this upcoming season, short of the blockbuster (i.e. Dunn) trade. So why shouldn't Castellini save money and just let it ride till after the season, or by waiting till July when the Reds are 15 games out of first and do the big splash then to drum up some interest. I'm not saying that he won't fire DanO right away, but even if he does will that do anything for the 2006 season? I don't think it will.

If MLB would have gotten off of their collective butts in November and approved the sale back then, then yes I think a new GM could have made an impact on this coming season and I would have been one of the blood-thirsty fans calling for DanO's firring before Thanksgiving, but that didn't happen so we have to accept this coming season for what it is and hope for the best.

M2
01-20-2006, 09:27 AM
So why are we keeping him then?

To what end?

We're afraid to let him run the draft, and we're afraid to let him make a trade.

I'd like to think that Castellini has already been thinking about the kind of man he wants for GM. He's had plenty of time to get ready.

The world won't end if Castellini makes no moves. It will, however, signal more "Status Quo" to a long suffering fan base. And to what end? Anyone think DanO will be rehired when his deal is up? Anyone need to see any more to decide?

A new broom sweeps clean.

That pretty much sums it up. If you're going to walk in and claim to be an agent of change, then you've got to make substantive changes. You can't have the same guy running the show the same way as he did before you arrived.

Plus, anyone who needs more time to evaluate DanO suffers from galloping DanOitis.

RFS62
01-20-2006, 09:28 AM
In my opinion, the greatest effect that sacking DanO would have would be a public relations effect.

It would signal loud and clear that the new ownership is not satisfied with "Status Quo"

I'm sure that anything DanO does from this point on will be heavily scrutinized by Castellini and whoever has his ear.

Hopelessness pervades every corner of RedsNation. Every corner. 5 dismal years, a death spiral of fan interest.

I know a lot of long time fans who simply didn't care after the all star break last year. The fans are Castellini's customers. This business isn't about letting DanO ride out his contract. It's about re-energizing the fan base.

If, as so many predict, Castellini takes his time and assesses the situation and keeps things the way they are as he settles in, well, what do we as fans have to look forward to this year?

Give me some hope, dammit!!!

Show me that Status Quo is no longer acceptable. What do you think would happen if he sacked DanO immediately? We'd get worse? Please.

Put a new face on the franchise. Give us some hope. This isn't some wild-ass crazy idea. It's marketing.

Throw out the stale lettuce, Mr. Castellini. You didn't build your empire selling moldy vegetables.

Chip R
01-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Because he is under contract through this year. Because while Castellini may have an idea of the man he wants for GM maybe that man isn't available yet. Or as stated above it would be more fruitful to take time to make the right decisions than to just rush to judgement and make the wrong ones now, just to be doing something.

There is really not much that anyone would be able to do to help the Reds this upcoming season, short of the blockbuster (i.e. Dunn) trade. So why shouldn't Castellini save money and just let it ride till after the season, or by waiting till July when the Reds are 15 games out of first and do the big splash then to drum up some interest. I'm not saying that he won't fire DanO right away, but even if he does will that do anything for the 2006 season? I don't think it will.

If MLB would have gotten off of their collective butts in November and approved the sale back then, then yes I think a new GM could have made an impact on this coming season and I would have been one of the blood-thirsty fans calling for DanO's firring before Thanksgiving, but that didn't happen so we have to accept this coming season for what it is and hope for the best.

So what if Castellini's guy isn't available yet. That's like finding out your house has termites and not doing anything about it because the regular guy you use is on vacation. Meanwhile the termites are eating the house up.

DanO is eating the house up. Bringing Branch Rickey back from the dead won't help the Reds this year but it might stop the decay of the franchise under DanO. Look what happened when JimBo got fired. Yeah, the Reds could have saved a few bucks by keeping him around till the end of the year but they sacked him and let Kullman and Maddux run the show and that's how we got the best and most promising 2/5ths of our starting rotation.

rdiersin
01-20-2006, 09:44 AM
I haven't seen it posted yet, but Marc's article is interesting.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060120/SPT05/601200329/1027

He says the same thing most articles have been saying that Allen, O'Brien, and Narron are expected to stay for now. But he also mentions that the three of them are expected to be at the press conference. To me this is a cause for pause. If Castellini knew he was going to have to make changes at the top, which I think many of use believe a clean sweep is necessary, then why would he want to make his grand appearance as owner with symbols of the past failures?

Krusty
01-20-2006, 09:47 AM
In my opinion, the greatest effect that sacking DanO would have would be a public relations effect.

It would signal loud and clear that the new ownership is not satisfied with "Status Quo"

I'm sure that anything DanO does from this point on will be heavily scrutinized by Castellini and whoever has his ear.

Hopelessness pervades every corner of RedsNation. Every corner. 5 dismal years, a death spiral of fan interest.

I know a lot of long time fans who simply didn't care after the all star break last year. The fans are Castellini's customers. This business isn't about letting DanO ride out his contract. It's about re-energizing the fan base.

If, as so many predict, Castellini takes his time and assesses the situation and keeps things the way they are as he settles in, well, what do we as fans have to look forward to this year?

Give me some hope, dammit!!!

Show me that Status Quo is no longer acceptable. What do you think would happen if he sacked DanO immediately? We'd get worse? Please.

Put a new face on the franchise. Give us some hope. This isn't some wild-ass crazy idea. It's marketing.

Throw out the stale lettuce, Mr. Castellini. You didCastellini.n't build your empire selling moldy vegetables.

I think Castellini had some time to look at the club while waiting for approval from MLB.

KronoRed
01-20-2006, 09:55 AM
why would he want to make his grand appearance as owner with symbols of the past failures?
I just hope we don't hear "We love what Dan is doing here"

zombie-a-go-go
01-20-2006, 09:57 AM
But he also mentions that the three of them are expected to be at the press conference. To me this is a cause for pause. If Castellini knew he was going to have to make changes at the top, which I think many of use believe a clean sweep is necessary, then why would he want to make his grand appearance as owner with symbols of the past failures?

CASTELLINI: "....and the Cincinnati Reds wouldn't be where they are today without the solid, steady leadership of Dan O'Brien and John Allen." [applause] "Gentlemen, why don't you stand up and let the good folks of Cincinnati see you."

[O'Brien stands. Allen stands.]

CASTELLINI: "Gentlemen, you're fired."

(hey, a boy can dream...)

Jpup
01-20-2006, 02:49 PM
CASTELLINI: "....and the Cincinnati Reds wouldn't be where they are today without the solid, steady leadership of Dan O'Brien and John Allen." [applause] "Gentlemen, why don't you stand up and let the good folks of Cincinnati see you."

yep, a good ole Vince McMahon firing in the middle of the ring would be great.:D

RFS62
01-20-2006, 02:57 PM
I guess we're going to hear a "Good job, Brownie" from Castellini, huh?

Kill me now.

Caveat Emperor
01-20-2006, 02:59 PM
yep, a good ole Vince McMahon firing in the middle of the ring would be great.:D

Either that, or announce that there will be an impromptu "Pink Slip Ladder Match" between Dan O'Brien and John Allen, with the loser being fired.

Things would be going great until....

"My god! That's...that's Jim Bowden's music!! What the hell is he doing here!?!"

WVRedsFan
01-20-2006, 03:12 PM
After reading Marc Lancaster's blog, I get the feeling the "insiders" all know that no changes will be made today. That really disappoints me in so many ways. Everyone seems to be saying that it is too late to make changes. I disagree because I think we could do better with different leadership, but I'll just sulk today.

Of course, RCast might just surprise us all. It's happened before, but if inside people think it won't happen, it probably won't.

I'll say what I've said for the last few years. I just hope I live long enough to see a competitive team fielded by the Reds. I am heading toward 60 really fast. Another year of losing and another year older. Making those moves today would give me and a lot of fans hope. I hope I don't run out of time before someone decides to move to make this club a contender.

Chip R
01-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Either that, or announce that there will be an impromptu "Pink Slip Ladder Match" between Dan O'Brien and John Allen, with the loser being fired.

Things would be going great until....

"My god! That's...that's Jim Bowden's music!! What the hell is he doing here!?!"

:lol: I just don't want them to join Castellini's "Kiss My Ass Club" :eek:

M2
01-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Everyone seems to be saying that it is too late to make changes.

Which is patently false. The Dodgers sacked Dan Evans and snagged Paul Depodesta late in the offseason.

The Red Sox sacked Dan Duquette and took a year to replace him, choosing to run the team by a committee led by the new team president (who got installed as the first order of business after the sale).

Assistant GMs are always available for a promotion to GM. Other GMs may not be, but chances are that the Reds couldn't pluck another team's GM even if they wanted to. What good, successful GM is going to want to leave his job to come to Cincinnati? That's not going to happen. So the only group from which you won't be able to make a hire is a group that would off limits to you anyway.

Saying it's too late is just an excuse. The change should be made regardless because ties with the old regime need to be severed. The Reds could go with an interim committee like the Red Sox did (and like the Reds did in the latter part of 2003, when they actually acquired some pitching). Yet there really shouldn't be any hindrance in landing a new GM from the ranks of people who don't currently hold a GM job. That field is wide open and ready for hire.

RFS62
01-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Uh, yeah. Should be pretty hard to find someone better than DanO.

Can't imagine how long that would take.

Ravenlord
01-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Uh, yeah. Should be pretty hard to find someone better than DanO.

Can't imagine how long that would take.
about 15 minutes of reading posts on this board...or just make RedsZone the ruling GM committee:D

CincyReds2003
01-20-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm willing to toss 2006 out the window if 2007,8,9,-etc proves to be an upswing for this franchise.

Here's a bold move to shake things up - since we know this is going to be a lost season - pull a Tampa Bay - offer free parking, allow coolers in to the park, take the 500 level seats and call them 500 Level Seating for $5.00 on all games - We know it can't be GA do to the "Festival Seating" rule in Hamilton Co - Bring people to the game in droves. Most people might come for the cheap tickets - but spend on the snacks. Can't hurt to find out.

I think you got to sack DanO - Let Kullman/Maddox run the show for a while. Hire a Director of Baseball Operations - get a GM - show the scouts who is in charge and what it will take to stock the system. Get a PR guy that really can be a PR guy. Maintain professionalism on the highest level. We don't need a GM with leather pants, or a first baseman who hugs - we need guys who want to be Redlegs - and can work TOGETHER in a environment that promotes WINNING.

This isn't Kansas City & we better darn well begin acting like Cincinnati and the greater Reds Country area.

FREE BEER!!!!!!!!!:beerme:

KronoRed
01-20-2006, 10:49 PM

That made me chuckle, thanks Z :lol: