PDA

View Full Version : John Allen

Maldez
01-21-2006, 12:15 PM
How do you get fired, without really getting fired?

"John Allen remains the chief operating officer but will have no responsibility for the baseball operations."

Falls City Beer
01-21-2006, 12:20 PM
How do you get fired, without really getting fired?

"John Allen remains the chief operating officer but will have no responsibility for the baseball operations."

In other words, no more picking on the GM. But I'd argue though that Allen wouldn't have the authority to pick on a GM who was doing his job correctly in the first place.

M2
01-21-2006, 12:40 PM
John Allen running the business is still a plenty bad thing. It's not like the baseball operation is the only thing that's gone to pot on his watch.

11BarryLarkin11
01-21-2006, 02:22 PM
John Allen running the business is still a plenty bad thing. It's not like the baseball operation is the only thing that's gone to pot on his watch.

This is very good news. Allen had no business overseeing the baseball operations, so the new ownership group has started off well. But, being in charge of the business operations is still important.

I'd love to see the Reds explore opportunities for increasing their revenue stream. The Mets are starting their own cable network, which they expect to be a cash cow. Now, due to the differences in marketsize, that probably isn't a viable strategy for the Reds, but there HAS to be opportunities of which they could take advantage to improve their financial standing.

TeamBoone
01-21-2006, 02:52 PM
In other words, no more picking on the GM. But I'd argue though that Allen wouldn't have the authority to pick on a GM who was doing his job correctly in the first place.

I doubt Mr. Lindner has/had no idea whether or not DOB was doing his job. He doesn't have enough baseball acumen to have an opinion one way or another. I'm sure his "opinions" were whatever Mr. Allen chose to share with him as gospel, and that is why Mr. Allen got away with doing whatever he damn well pleased!

TeamBoone
01-21-2006, 02:55 PM

Running it? IMHO, that's exactly what has changed. He will be heading up the business side while reporting directly to Mr. Castellini. He won't be making the decisions anymore; Mr Castellini will.

Don't you think that is huge?

M2
01-21-2006, 02:56 PM
This is very good news. Allen had no business overseeing the baseball operations, so the new ownership group has started off well. But, being in charge of the business operations is still important.

I'd love to see the Reds explore opportunities for increasing their revenue stream. The Mets are starting their own cable network, which they expect to be a cash cow. Now, due to the differences in marketsize, that probably isn't a viable strategy for the Reds, but there HAS to be opportunities of which they could take advantage to improve their financial standing.

Which is exactly why John Allen still looms as a major problem. Do you expect the guy who hasn't been able to figure out broadcasting and marketing for the past decade to clue in now?

Honestly, I think John Allen's greatest malfeasance has been on the business end. His approach to the business of baseball is outdated by about 30 years and it consistently undercuts the franchise.

steig
01-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Castellini has only been in full power for 2 days, give him a chance to make the proper judgements on employees and bring in his own people. If he doesn't have a replacement at this point why fire the guy. It would only make more work for him to look after.

Matt700wlw
01-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Running it? IMHO, that's exactly what has changed. He will be heading up the business side while reporting directly to Mr. Castellini. He won't be making the decisions anymore; Mr Castellini will.

Don't you think that is huge?

It's a step in the right direction....continue to make progress in the forward direction, and all of a sudden, this franchise is turned around, and us fans are in September cheering for a team fighting for a playoff spot...

M2
01-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Castellini has only been in full power for 2 days, give him a chance to make the proper judgements on employees and bring in his own people. If he doesn't have a replacement at this point why fire the guy. It would only make more work for him to look after.

They didn't have a replacement when Bowden got fired. Worked out pretty well until the replacement showed up.