PDA

View Full Version : New GM

NewEraReds
01-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Name who you want to see. i really dont know who all is available at this moment. not saying we get one now. we could go with kullman for a while till a guy castellini wants is available. i mean kullman did ok last time he was put in this spot.

btw, how bout all the guys castellini is bringing in to get in put. all the former players, now beattie to help with pitching

harangatang
01-23-2006, 07:28 PM
I wouldn't be a bit surpirised if Beattie ends up with the job.

steig
01-23-2006, 07:29 PM
I wouldn't be a bit surpirised if Beattie ends up with the job.

I agree

NewEraReds
01-23-2006, 07:37 PM
I agree
how did he do in bmore, any players/deals of note

i dont remember him

Caveat Emperor
01-23-2006, 07:39 PM
I haven't had time really make a list of my own, but Kullman performs similarly to how he handled the job when he and Leyland Maddox ran the show after Bowden got axed, he could play himself into the job.

Unassisted
01-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Lance McAlister suggested after today's presser that 2 of the Assistant GMs in St. Louis are likely to be on the BobCast short list. One was John Mozeliak, who is their Assistant General Manager/Director, Baseball Operations. I think the other name was Bruce Manno, their Director of Player Development.

NewEraReds
01-23-2006, 08:06 PM
dont know anything about them, but where they come from def intrigues me. i think the biggest thing i like about cast is he said he will get people in here that know what they are doing and LET THEM DO THEIR JOB. i love the sound of that

harangatang
01-23-2006, 08:07 PM
I haven't had time really make a list of my own, but Kullman performs similarly to how he handled the job when he and Leyland Maddox ran the show after Bowden got axed, he could play himself into the job.

Anyone want some more Harangs and Claussens on the Reds?

Unassisted
01-23-2006, 08:11 PM
I haven't had time really make a list of my own, but Kullman performs similarly to how he handled the job when he and Leyland Maddox ran the show after Bowden got axed, he could play himself into the job.He was dealing from more of a position of strength at that time. The only thing the Reds have in abundance is second baseman. If he can spin the surplus there into pitching gold, he'd get my vote for the job.

It might also be a case of "Be careful what you wish for" if he unloads an OF or the new 1B. :(

Reds4Life
01-23-2006, 08:11 PM
A quick look at Beattie's stats aren't that impressive. His winning percentage is around 45%, he never won a division, his best season was in 1996 when the Expos posted 88 wins, worst season was in 1998 when the Expos lost 97 games.

TeamBoone
01-23-2006, 08:16 PM
A quick look at Beattie's stats aren't that impressive. His winning percentage is around 45%, he never won a division, his best season was in 1996 when the Expos posted 88 wins, worst season was in 1998 when the Expos lost 97 games.

Did he have decent players? Payroll?

Reds4Life
01-23-2006, 08:23 PM

I remember the Expos having some pathetic payroll figures around 1998 or so (like $10million total payroll?), but I'm not sure on the figures. The O's 2005 payroll was in the $75 million range, they finished 74-88 and Beattie was fired on 10/11/2005.

pedro
01-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Hard to say what kind of job he did in Baltimore being that he was co-gm with Flanigan and worked under Angelos. Probably not the best working environment.

RFS62
01-23-2006, 08:28 PM
I heard Jack Bauer was going interview.

Falls City Beer
01-23-2006, 08:28 PM
I really hope Beattie doesn't get a whiff of the GM's position. I'll just quietly clamor for a guy like Krivsky or Kullman and keep my hands folded proper-like.

Elam
01-23-2006, 08:34 PM
I remember the Expos having some pathetic payroll figures around 1998 or so (like $10million total payroll?), but I'm not sure on the figures. The O's 2005 payroll was in the $75 million range, they finished 74-88 and Beattie was fired on 10/11/2005.
$10 million sounds about right I remeber it being $9 million one year for them while Beattie was GM.

Raisor
01-23-2006, 08:37 PM
I heard Jack Bauer was going interview.

Jack would kill all the other candidates. Dead.

OnBaseMachine
01-23-2006, 08:51 PM
My six would be: Brad Kullman, Chris Antonelli, David Forst, Paul DePodesta, Wayne Krivsky, and the Farm director from the Braves whose name excapes me.

CrackerJack
01-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Kuhlman's comment that, "there would have to be some tough decisions made, but we could win here," stuck out to me, although that seems obvious, it didn't have the "DanO" feel you were used to for so long.

He's certainly got a leg up with his interim position and the ability to make deals or moves with approval now. Should be interesting to see what he does, if anything, over the next month. With the Orioles assistant coming onboard,

Elam
01-23-2006, 08:55 PM
My six would be: Brad Kullman, Chris Antonelli, David Forst, Paul DePodesta, Wayne Krivsky, and the Farm director from the Braves whose name excapes me.
Dayton Moore?

buckeyenut
01-23-2006, 08:57 PM
DePodesta is the guy I want. He has the experience. He won't have the same pressure here. And I think he is fully capable of doing the job.

I also believe Cast is smart enough to give him time and let him do his job, unlike his boss in LA.

OnBaseMachine
01-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Dayton Moore?

Yes, that's him. Thanks.

cinredsfan2000
01-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Paul DePodesta:D

Strikes Out Looking
01-23-2006, 09:32 PM
It's hard to judge Beattie from his Baltimore tenure. He was co-GM with Flanigan, who was an O's insider. The reason he got the job is that they were afraid to give the job to Flanigan by himself, and wanted someone else with GM experience. The other problem with judging his days in Baltimore is that Angelos was his boss.

The O's have developed young pitchers the last couple of years (Cabrera and Bedard) but I'm not sure how much credit Beattie gets.

This aside, I don't think he'd be my choice for GM.

vaticanplum
01-23-2006, 09:44 PM
It's hard to judge Beattie from his Baltimore tenure. He was co-GM with Flanigan, who was an O's insider. The reason he got the job is that they were afraid to give the job to Flanigan by himself, and wanted someone else with GM experience. The other problem with judging his days in Baltimore is that Angelos was his boss.

The O's have developed young pitchers the last couple of years (Cabrera and Bedard) but I'm not sure how much credit Beattie gets.

This aside, I don't think he'd be my choice for GM.

Agreed. Angelos is pretty much a control freak and I wonder how much control Beattie really had dealing with both him and a co-GM (which is insane no matter how you cut it in my opinion). He orchestrated the Sosa trade, picking him up for just about nothing, which despite the disaster it turned out to be, was not really a bad deal at the time. Tejada, Ponson and Palmeiro all came in under his leadership. Take from those what you will.

I have a friend who's a die-hard O's freak, though, and he will never forgive Beattie for the Guerrero thing. Guerrero was not as highly sought as a lot of players of his caliber, and it was pretty much a battle between the O's and the Angels, and Beattie chose that time of all times to be frugal.

I don't think he's a good choice for the Reds' GM. He has a penchant for making big deals and that's not what a team like the Reds should be doing. He's not a sabermetrics guy. I think he'd be a very poor choice after O'Brien...DePodesta is the type I'd like to see. I'm not a stats freak, but I think the Reds GM should be, and I think DePodesta is a genius.

Nugget
01-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Krivsky - he's from the same division and knows baseball (and not just the numbers)

Kullman also has a number of outfielders this time so maybe he can find another Harang. As a number of teams have shown this offseason - getting the odd outfielder is not a problem. As long as Kullman doesn't offload all four the REDS should not have a problem when retooling the outfield. Also you probably won't get the value for Junior at the start of the season and even with all the criticism he is still the REDS best option in CF and will give anyone coming in the guidance required.

Elam
01-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Krivsky - he's from the same division and knows baseball (and not just the numbers)
Kullman also has a number of outfielders this time so maybe he can find another Harang. As a number of teams have shown this offseason - getting the odd outfielder is not a problem. As long as Kullman doesn't offload all four the REDS should not have a problem when retooling the outfield. Also you probably won't get the value for Junior at the start of the season and even with all the criticism he is still the REDS best option in CF and will give anyone coming in the guidance required.
:confused:

I was under the impression that Krivsky was the assistant GM for the Minnesota Twins in the AL Central, actually I'm 100% sure he is.
Unless you're reffering to a different Krivsky.

NewEraReds
01-23-2006, 10:16 PM
i think he meant same situation and not division. at least thats the way i took it. small market team, kinda midwest :) central divisions, etc

Henry Clay
01-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Jim Beattie is looking more and more like a contender. Not only is he a Castellini friend, but he is also closely tied to field manager Jerry Narron. Between 1979-81, Beattie pitched for the Yankees and Mariners while Narron was a catcher in the same two organizations. In fact, they were traded together from the Yankees to the Mariners in November 1979. I cannot imagine a much tighter bond than that of two aging former battery-mates who moved organizations together twenty years ago and now stand a chance of running an organization together. Both also played with Lou Piniella. We know how Castellini feels about Piniella. We also know he talked to Piniella. Insofar as Beattie played with Piniella for two seasons (1978-79) and worked with him in Seattle, I would have to think Piniella endorsed Beattie.

If Piniella comes on board as a special adviser in 2007, this team will start looking like a late 70's Yankees reunion team (Piniella, Chambliss, Narron, Beattie). Here's hoping Gullett stays home.

George Foster
01-23-2006, 11:16 PM
Do we?

TeamBoone
01-23-2006, 11:19 PM
If Piniella comes on board as a special adviser in 2007, this team will start looking like a late 70's Yankees reunion team (Piniella, Chambliss, Narron, Beattie). Here's hoping Gullett stays home.

You forgot Dent.

TeamBoone
01-23-2006, 11:21 PM
Do we?

That wasn't my point.

Someone was talking about his 45% winning percentage. There are often mitagating factors, not necessarily that the guy stinks.

That's why I asked the questions that I did regarding players and payroll, especially because it was the Expos and I know their payroll was extremely low at one time, but I couldn't remember when.

jnwohio
01-23-2006, 11:23 PM
If we are thinking out of the box here and in a new era that wants to recognize the glories of the past while building a championship future, my off the wall choice is Joe Morgan. Don't know if he has any interest or what kind of money it would take to get him out of the booth; but, he knows baseball and he is a businessman.

kbrake
01-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Joe Morgan can stay in the booth, not ripping on you or anything, just dont see that working out to well.

George Foster
01-23-2006, 11:27 PM
If we are thinking out of the box here and in a new era that wants to recognize the glories of the past while building a championship future, my off the wall choice is Joe Morgan. Don't know if he has any interest or what kind of money it would take to get him out of the booth; but, he knows baseball and he is a businessman.
Interesting, but Joe likes being on TV and playing A LOT of golf. Being a GM is more than a full time job. He has the perfect life. Golf all day, ESPN at night. Heaven on Earth!

MikeS21
01-23-2006, 11:55 PM
I honestly don't know anything about Beattie, so any opinion I give would be uninformed. I do wonder what his track record has been for evaluating/developing pitching, considering that will be his focus here.

Allow me to make acouple observations about the recent FO changes.

Brad Kullman got shoved into the corner so to speak, when O'Brien came to town. I doubt his opinion carried very much weight over the last couple of years. I find it interesting that Castellini pulls him out of mothballs and sticks him in the driver's seat - even if it is temporary.

I can't help but wonder if there is any connection between the FO house cleaning and Chief Bender's retirement a few days ago? Bender has been around a long time, and perhaps he saw the handwriting on the wall. Which tells me that more FO changes are coming.

jmcclain19
01-24-2006, 01:18 AM
Everyone is kind of parroting the same few characters here, and Castellini said there will be 6-8 candidates, so let me throw in a few more that haven't been mentioned yet.

These are nothing more than a few guys that haven't been mentioned anywhere else, off the top of my head. I haven't heard or read any mentions and don't claim any inside knowledge to whether or not any of these folks are candidates.

Larry Beinfest - Marlins GM - Word around baseball is he is looking to abandon the sinking ship that is South Florida baseball. He was hard in for the Dodgers job when it was open.

Logan White - Dodgers Director of Scouting - Passed over when the Dodgers hired Colletti, White has been the Dodgers Scouting director, in charge of stock piling LA's fat system for the last four years.

Grady Fuson - Padres Special Asst - Ironicly is the figure that forced out O'Brien in Texas, who was later ursupred by Buck Showalter. Was a long time scouting director for Oakland and was the next in line to be the Rangers GM before Buck got in Tom Hicks ear.

Mike Rizzo - Diamondbacks Director of Scouting - Another passed over candidate. Rizzo's been the Dbacks Director of Scouting for the last six years. The Arizona system is quite impressive, and rumor around here was he was a short list candidate before Byrnes was hired.

John Hart - Former Rangers/Indians GM - Still doing interviews for other GM jobs despite stepping down in Texas

Jim Bowden - Nationals GM - Don't laugh. He has a six month contract in Washington. He has ties to Cincy. He's a tireless worker. One could say he has many of the qualities Castellini mentioned. I'm not pushing for his re-hiring, but I'm just bringing it up.

Kevin Towers - Padres GM - Said he is looking at new jobs anymore under Alderson, but was a final list candidate for the Dodgers and the Dbacks.

KronoRed
01-24-2006, 01:31 AM
Beinfest & Towers would be good, both have shown the ability to make good trades and build farm systems, 2 things we'll need.

NewEraReds
01-24-2006, 01:33 AM
bowden would be a worse choice than dan o imo. some others you mentioned i really like. to me, i think we need to get a very good guy from a well run organization with a history of drafting/trading for and developing talent. cause as a small market, we need to do that as well as possible. cause we will lose guys to high deals and cant go out and get whoever we want

cincyinco
01-24-2006, 03:32 AM
Didn't BCast say he wanted someone with experience? A proven winner?

I dont mind hiring a young, exciting, energized and intelligent mind who is not proven to run the organization. IMHO, we need all new blood. We need people who will think outside the box. We need an alltogether different approach here in Cincinnati, because what we've tried has clearly failed.. and failed miserably.

I like some of the people jmcclain19 mentioned. I think Krivisky, Kullman, Beattie are def. legit candidates for the job. I also heard mention of a guy down in FL, marlins scouting director? Havard degree and such. They have a good farm.

All that said, I would like to see the following considered:

Paul DePo
Krivisky
Logan White(shh! dont tell anyone but drafting HS players isn't nearly the monster its made to be.. but that debate is for another thread..)
Rizzo - love the talent in AZ, they have potential to be scary good.

When I look at that above list of who I'd like to see mentioned, they all have 1 thing in common. Good judge's and evaluators of talent, or come from ORG with that strength. I like DePo because he also takes stats into consideration, something I think is sorely lacking. Stats are not everything but they cannot be ignored. A philosphy that blends traditional scouting and stats is the right direction IMHO.

On that note, I hope we dont forget the farm(kinda worried about that.. see Bcast's statements about not being impressed with farm system, being impatient, etc.) I think most agree, that its essential for a team like the Reds to draft and develope high end homegrown talent on the cheap. If not to put in play, then to use as a resource for trades. Thats not to say we cannot improve the MLB ball club at the same time, something Dan'O clearly was not able to do. However, part of me believes Dan'O's inability to get a good trade done was not ALL his and only his fault... I just dont think he had many chips to work with in a trade.

That can be debated but my point is this: Casey is not a great trading chip by himself with the size of the contract he had, and the '05 season he had. When you can suppliment trading a big contract like Casey's with cheap young talent, you get more in return than Dave Williams. We might have been able to get a Gorzelanny or Maholm out of it instead. I think we call know there wasn't a huge market for Casey, even in '04. There were few teams that need at 1b. But it says something when you have to send Casey AND cash for a pitcher like Williams.

Jpup
01-24-2006, 07:52 AM
DePo or bust.:)

I don't think he would come to Cincinnati right now due to the fact that he has a child due sometime very soon. I heard Mark Shapiro mention that today. Shapiro said that DePodesta is waiting for his opportunity to get back in baseball. He has many offers although you don't here his name much in the media. That could be good news though.

REDJAKE
01-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Surprised that i see no mention of Robinson or Pinnella two very successful experienced baseball men.If they would be interested i would love to see it and i do wish Bowden would show enough interest to interview he is one of the best available.GO CINCY!!!!

Unassisted
01-24-2006, 09:35 AM
How is DePo as a communicator? I just listened to the archive of the BobCast GM-firing presser and he said multiple times that he wanted a GM who could communicate well. That appears to be high on his list. Clearly it was a shortcoming of DanO's.

I have read on here that DePo was blindsided in LA because he didn't manage the personalities and it makes me think that communication might be a problem for him.

gonelong
01-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Brad Kullman got shoved into the corner so to speak, when O'Brien came to town. I doubt his opinion carried very much weight over the last couple of years. I find it interesting that Castellini pulls him out of mothballs and sticks him in the driver's seat - even if it is temporary.

From a players acquisition and drafting standpoint, it seems pretty obvious to me that Kullman's opinion couldn't have held any weight whatsoever with DanO.

You can almost see where DanO might be receiving info and then misapplying it.
OBP & walks good - ok, make our minor leaguers take a strike
Too much work load young arms - ok, pitch to contact
HRs easier in GABP - ok, get groundball pitchers

Reading between the lines ... RCast won't appoint Kullman to the GM position, but he will expand his influence in order to keep him around, IMO.

GL

Hondo
01-24-2006, 12:21 PM
John Schurholtz....please. please.

I know it is a Pipe Dream....but half of you probably own pipes!!!

JaredRoberts.com

Caveman Techie
01-24-2006, 03:09 PM
My top 3 choices would be

Depodesta
Krivsky
Kullman

When listening to the sound bytes of Mr. Cast. press conference two things stuck out in my head. 1, that he wanted a good communicator, this would just about eliminate Depodesta from the job in my opinon and would make Kullman the front runner. 2, that we needed to try new things (something to that extent) this then erases Kullman as the front runner since he has been here and has been a part of the old thinking. So that would leave Krivsky as the only one left standing.

I wouldn't be upset if any one of the three I listed got the job, but with my track record of predictions, the mere fact that I mentioned them eliminates them entirely. :)

cincyinco
01-24-2006, 05:10 PM
My top 3 choices would be

Depodesta
Krivsky
Kullman

When listening to the sound bytes of Mr. Cast. press conference two things stuck out in my head. 1, that he wanted a good communicator, this would just about eliminate Depodesta from the job in my opinon and would make Kullman the front runner. 2, that we needed to try new things (something to that extent) this then erases Kullman as the front runner since he has been here and has been a part of the old thinking. So that would leave Krivsky as the only one left standing.

I wouldn't be upset if any one of the three I listed got the job, but with my track record of predictions, the mere fact that I mentioned them eliminates them entirely. :)

I dont think you're giving Kullman enough credit. I dont think a lot of stock was put into his philosphies and ideas while he's been with the Reds. He's a sabermetrics(sp?) guy, a guy who believes in the 4 man rotation(ol' school), etc. I think Kullman is a strong candidate...

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing someone from outside the organization get a chance. New blood is needed. But if Kullman is hired, I wont be dissapointed.

Nugget
01-24-2006, 07:11 PM
i think he meant same situation and not division. at least thats the way i took it. small market team, kinda midwest :) central divisions, etc

Yes exactly. The Twins have had a better record than the A's when it comes to small market getting to the playoffs, especially as they have, on paper at least, had poorer talent.

westofyou
01-24-2006, 07:17 PM
The Twins have had a better record than the A's when it comes to small market getting to the playoffs,They also play in the weaker divison.

2000 5th 69 93 .426 26
2001 2nd 85 77 .525 6
2002 1st 94 67 .584 +13.5 AL CENTRAL CHAMPIONS
2003 1st 90 72 .556 +4 AL CENTRAL CHAMPIONS
2004 1st 92 70 .568 +9 AL CENTRAL CHAMPIONS
2005 3rd 83 79 .512 16

2000 1st 91 70 .565 +0.5 AL WEST CHAMPIONS
2001 2nd 102 60 .630 14
2002 1st 103 59 .636 +4 AL WEST CHAMPIONS
2003 1st 96 66 .593 +3 AL WEST CHAMPIONS
2004 2nd 91 71 .562 1
2005 2nd 88 74 .543 7

Nugget
01-24-2006, 08:57 PM
But they have also made a better fist of it in the playoffs than the A's.

Also interesting to note that in Marc's blog the feeling is that DePo did not do a good job in LA.

TeamBoone
01-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Could someone once again post the link to Marc's blog? Somewhere along the line, I seem to have lost it.

Thank you in advance.

westofyou
01-25-2006, 10:48 AM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/