PDA

View Full Version : Kullman in 2003 an indication for GM in 2006?

harangatang
01-23-2006, 09:00 PM
I was reading an old article in the Cincinnati Post about Brad Kullman from 2003 after the firesale. I stumbled across an interesting quote from the article.

"I always vowed that while some guys in this game may be smarter than me, no one is ever going to outwork me."

http://www.cincypost.com/2003/08/05/reds08-05-2003.html

The thing that stuck out in my mind today at Castelinni's press conference is he kept saying something to the extent of how he wants to hire a very hard working GM. With Kullman becoming the interim GM instead of Dean Taylor it seems like Castelinni has seen something he likes about Kullman. The only two good starting pitchers on the staff (Harang and Claussen) were acquired when Kullman/Maddox were interims in 2003.

Heath
01-23-2006, 09:13 PM
I was reading an old article in the Cincinnati Post about Brad Kullman from 2003 after the firesale. I stumbled across an interesting quote from the article.

"I always vowed that while some guys in this game may be smarter than me, no one is ever going to outwork me."

http://www.cincypost.com/2003/08/05/reds08-05-2003.html

The thing that stuck out in my mind today at Castelinni's press conference is he kept saying something to the extent of how he wants to hire a very hard working GM. With Kullman becoming the interim GM instead of Dean Taylor it seems like Castelinni has seen something he likes about Kullman. The only two good starting pitchers on the staff (Harang and Claussen) were acquired when Kullman/Maddox were interims in 2003.

That should also tell you what the new ownership thinks of Dean Taylor.

harangatang
01-23-2006, 09:56 PM
That should also tell you what the new ownership thinks of Dean Taylor.

Dean Taylor has GM experience where Kullman does not other then being an interim. You would think that if this was truly temporary that it would be Taylor but it is not.

NewEraReds
01-23-2006, 10:18 PM
kullman would be the LAST guy i would choose. not that he cant do a decent job, but i want new blood and i also want more than decent

harangatang
01-23-2006, 10:24 PM
kullman would be the LAST guy i would choose. not that he cant do a decent job, but i want new blood and i also want more than decent

So what's your definition of decent? Kullman is responsible for getting the only 2 good starting pitchers on this staff, Claussen and Harang. I don't see anything wrong with either one of those two guys and I'd like to see what Kullman can do full time to get the Reds pitching staff rebuilt.

westofyou
01-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Dean Taylor has GM experience where Kullman does not other then being an interim. You would think that if this was truly temporary that it would be Taylor but it is not.Taylor belongs to the last guy, he was hired by Dan O'Brien, thus he is a Dan O guy.

He's history

Kullman transcends the O'Brien regime and has been in charge of major league contracts and arb (very important right now) and MLB scouting.

TeamBoone
01-23-2006, 11:13 PM
He also said he wanted someone with experience. Does Assistant GM fill that definition?

Let's see, he also said hard working and passionate about baseball, good evaluator of baseball talent, and good communicator to fans and media.

I don't know enough about BK to know if he is all these things. But from what I do remember, everyone thought he and Maddox (?) did a pretty good tandem job during the last interim.