PDA

View Full Version : Where will DanO end up?

Chip R
01-24-2006, 12:04 PM
I figure someone will hire him since he's been in the business so long. My guess will be Atlanta or Philly.

Puffy
01-24-2006, 12:09 PM
He'll land on his feet - but his days of ever being a GM again are over. Scouting director or something like that.

savafan
01-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Someplace warm I hope.

KronoRed
01-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Houston

donnelly_31
01-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Some place where he can be non-commital and ride the fence for the rest of his career and not have any pressure to win. Watch for a Romano or Machado signing wherever it is.

Redsland
01-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Scouting director or something like that.
Because he's such a savvy talent evaluator?

;)

TeamBoone
01-24-2006, 02:08 PM
I figure someone will hire him since he's been in the business so long. My guess will be Atlanta or Philly.

What made you pick these two, Chip?

I can't for the life of me picture him in the Atlanta organization.

And someone mentioned scouting. He's such a poor judge of talent that I can't see him going in that direction either.

Heath
01-24-2006, 02:16 PM
I think he's a perfect fit for Colorado.

Or as a designated hugger for Casey in Pittsburgh.

wolfboy
01-24-2006, 04:02 PM

And someone mentioned scouting. He's such a poor judge of talent that I can't see him going in that direction either.

Perhaps a token of gratitude for his contributions to the Braves and Phillies organizations?

Chip R
01-24-2006, 04:41 PM

Mostly because those are the two organizations he's done most of his business with. Also I think people in the Braves organization think he's a good baseball guy from what I've read in Scouts Honor.

steig
01-24-2006, 09:12 PM
The reds should have reassigned him to being an user at GABP.

Stewie
01-24-2006, 09:53 PM

Well, the San Diego Padres recently hired Ed Wade as a scout, and he was arguably worse at evaluating talent than O'Brien.

WMR
01-24-2006, 09:55 PM
My dad is looking to hire a new janitor to sweep and mop.

roby
01-25-2006, 12:02 AM
Maybe he could drive a truck with Doug Heffernen at UPS or whatever it is?

cincinnati chili
01-25-2006, 12:11 AM
I really think he's going to have a tough time. I'm not just saying that to be mean. He's shattered any illusion that he was the brains behind either the Rangers or Astros.

Chip R
01-25-2006, 12:38 AM
As I stated before, one of the reasons I think DanO may end up in ATL is a few passages from Scouts //honor which is basically the Anti-Moneyball book.

"In O'Brien's first year on the job, he took several pages from the Braves' blueprint of the late '80s when they were developing a winning team..."

"Count O'Brien as one of the GMs inclined to follow the Braves way over the sensationalism portrayed in Moneyball."

They could hire him, put him in charge of scouting somewhere like Idaho and still not miss a beat. They might just hire him to spite the Moneyball mavens. And you never know, after a few years of being clensed in the Braves system, his rep could be built back up to where some team who wants to emulate the Braves' success might just hire him as their GM. Pretty far fetched to be sure. I have no doubt he'll get a job in baseball somewhere. The Old Boy network is as strong as ever.

Unassisted
01-25-2006, 09:39 AM
I just noticed this in an article at the Columbus Dispatch. I knew he was still under contract, but I had missed that his services were still going to be utilized. I guess he won't have quite so much free time to look for another job.

"O’Brien remains under contract with the Reds for this year and has promised Castellini that he will assist the new GM with background information on players and personnel."

Redsland
01-25-2006, 10:33 AM
That's an afternoon chat, not an ongoing gig.

RFS62
01-25-2006, 10:44 AM
That's an afternoon chat, not an ongoing gig.

You're going to miss him, aren't you?

I guarantee he won't miss you.

:laugh:

Redsland
01-25-2006, 12:33 PM
I hope that when he walked out of the office, somebody played "I'm a Ramblin' Man." ;)

westofyou
01-25-2006, 12:34 PM
I hope that when he walked out of the office, somebody played "I'm a Ramblin' Man." ;)
I've been everywhere, man
Crossed the deserts bare, man
I've breatherd the mountain air, man
Of travel I've had my share, man
I've been everywhere

I've been to:
Reno
Chicago
Fargo
Minnesota
Buffalo
Toronto
Winslow
Sarasota
Whichta
Tulsa
Ottowa
Oklahoma
Tampa
Panama
Mattawa
LaPaloma
Bangor
Baltimore
Salvador
Amarillo
Tocapillo
Pocotello
Amperdllo

I'm a Killer

RFS62
01-25-2006, 12:36 PM
So, he's staying in a Motel 6?

Redsland
01-25-2006, 01:07 PM
DanO’s version:

I’ve been to quite a few places, truth be told, and many of them have a variety of a) names, and b) characteristics. For example, in the more arid regions I’ve visited, I’ve noticed a lack of vegetation, by and large, not to paint with too wide a brush. Contrast that with being at altitude, where not only will you see differences in the flora and fauna, but also in the very air itself, not to take anything away from the air in the regions previously mentioned. Because at the end of the day, a person in my position, and who had been in the positions I have for the period of time that I have, will have had opportunity to see many locales.

I’ve been to:
Sarasota
Chattanooga
Frisco
Bakersfield
Spokane
Corpus Christi
Clinton
Salem
Round Rock
Troy
Lexington
Greeneville
Louisville
Dayton
Billings
Oklahoma City

I’m known for my ability to take that which is talented and in demand, and to render it utterly useless and unwanted. Or, sometimes, for it to remain in demand despite my efforts, but to somehow be unable to give it away. None of which reflects poorly on me, of course, as evidenced by the fact that, as I believe I’ve mentioned, I’ve traveled quite extensively.

:)

kaldaniels
01-25-2006, 06:15 PM
If Smithers ever croaks, DanO would be a good yes-man to Mr. Burns. :D

Little Alex
01-25-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm thinking Dan-O will go the Ickey Woods route.

Blow his savings first, then sell meat out of a truck, finally, spend the rest of his days dancing around like an idiot for anyone that will watch.

MartyFan
01-25-2006, 08:01 PM
I think he's a perfect fit for Colorado.

Or as a designated hugger for Casey in Pittsburgh.

Rockies have some young talent...they are not going to be as bad as everyone thinks.

corkedbat
01-25-2006, 08:03 PM
OfficeMax :evil:

savafan
01-25-2006, 08:24 PM
The reds should have reassigned him to being an user at GABP.

Things may be bad for DanO, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would hang out downtown and use blow.

harangatang
01-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Don't be surprised if he follows Jason Romano over to the Japanese leagues. :)

Caveat Emperor
01-25-2006, 09:59 PM
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/5852/walmarter9kq.jpg

Chip R
01-25-2006, 11:29 PM
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/5852/walmarter9kq.jpg

Sneaky guy, that DanO. Probably mugged a Wal Mart employee named Mike, stole his uniform and cleaned them out of binders.

deltachi8
01-25-2006, 11:34 PM
http://www.staples.com/sbd/img/ico/nav_logo.gif

Kurt Bevaqua
01-26-2006, 01:09 AM
He's got a lot of friends in baseball...Rick Apontae', Julio Linares, Dan Kochstein, Mertha Campbell, to name a few...I am sure they will find him some place to go...moving forward.

REDREAD
01-26-2006, 05:18 PM
"O’Brien remains under contract with the Reds for this year and has promised Castellini that he will assist the new GM with background information on players and personnel."

DanO gets to spend another year doing what he does best.. evaluating while performing no action. :laugh:

creek14
01-26-2006, 05:32 PM
I hope he ends up with St Louis or Houston or Chicago or Pittsburgh or Milwaukee.

Let him run one of our Central competitors into the ground like he did the Reds.

Raisor
01-26-2006, 08:20 PM
He probably won't wind up with Ford.