PDA

View Full Version : XM Reporting Frank Thomas signs with the A's

RFS62
01-25-2006, 04:39 PM
XM reporting that Frank Thomas just signed a one year deal with the A's.

Maldonado
01-25-2006, 06:09 PM
I'll bet the A's got a very good deal. If healthy, I'll bet that the Big Hurt still has some devastating offense left in him.

RedsManRick
01-25-2006, 06:15 PM
The terms are VERY favorable for the A's considering the potential gain here. It's a $500,000 gaurenteed salary with some reasonable bonuses.

Per ESPN:
"Thomas can earn $1.4 million in roster bonuses if he is on the active major league roster or not on the DL related to a left foot injury. He would get $325,000 each on May 1 and June 15, and $375,000 apiece on July 15 and Aug. 15.

He also can earn $1.2 million in performance bonuses: $200,000 each for 300, 350, 400, 450, 500 and 550 plate appearances"

Hondo
01-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Now you all know why Allard Baird was the worst GM in Baseball, even worse that Dan O'Brein...The Royals are just sitting there needing someone to split time with Mike Sweeney at 1B/DH...

JaredRoberts.com

RedFanAlways1966
01-25-2006, 08:57 PM
The terms are VERY favorable for the A's considering the potential gain here. It's a $500,000 gaurenteed salary with some reasonable bonuses.

Per ESPN:
"Thomas can earn $1.4 million in roster bonuses if he is on the active major league roster or not on the DL related to a left foot injury. He would get $325,000 each on May 1 and June 15, and $375,000 apiece on July 15 and Aug. 15.

He also can earn $1.2 million in performance bonuses: $200,000 each for 300, 350, 400, 450, 500 and 550 plate appearances"

To use a quote similiar to the one muttered by the infamous and tell-it-like-it-is Latrell Spreewell... "how can Frank feed his kids?" :p:

KronoRed
01-26-2006, 01:33 AM
Good deal for both parties, glad to see Thomas still going

buckeyenut
01-26-2006, 06:31 AM
This is a low risk huge reward deal for OAK. Thomas has injury problems, which the deal mitigates, but he is still one of the best hitters in the history of the game. He had a long way he could fall and still be good. And a 100% healthy Thomas makes a bunch of noise, I bet.

IslandRed
01-26-2006, 11:56 AM
If Thomas stays healthy and hits the way he can, that'll be the best-spent $3.1 million in MLB this year. Oakland could be very, very good.

registerthis
01-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Man, if I were Thomas i think I'd put a cement casing around that left foot...

UK Reds Fan
01-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Why wouldn't almost any team be in that Thomas deal?

500K is unreal low salary for a guy that hit as well as he did for a short amount of time. I wish the Reds were in for Thomas for that low a salary and pick up potential draft picks if he does perform like he is capable of.

The guy is still a performer when healthy and can play a position that offers low injury capabilities.

Cyclone792
01-26-2006, 03:05 PM
The bargain of the offseason, IMO. Billy Beane continues to outthink most everyone else in baseball.

UK Reds Fan
01-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Just don't see why other teams are/were dickering around with Piazza, Garciapara, Mientkiewicz, Thome, Millar, JT Snow, etc...

This guy easily outperforms all of these guys save possibly Piazza and Thome and the rest he is no more injury prone than some on the list at a fraction of the prices of the guys aforementioned.

Beane is good for a reason. This is a no-brainer at that $$$.

pedro
01-26-2006, 03:23 PM
I think it's a good deal for the A's. If healthy Frank can still hit, although he is prtty much a DH now so I can see why no one in the NL took a chance on him.

RedFanAlways1966
01-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Credit to Beane. But perhaps too much credit? Maybe Frank wanted to play in ANA-of-LA and ythought his chances for another ring were best. Maybe Frank did not care to play elsewhere. I do not know of course, but on the flipside maybe Beane should not get all the credit for this signing.

Cyclone792
01-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Credit to Beane. But perhaps too much credit? Maybe Frank wanted to play in ANA-of-LA and ythought his chances for another ring were best. Maybe Frank did not care to play elsewhere. I do not know of course, but on the flipside maybe Beane should not get all the credit for this signing.

Yanks
Blue Jays
Orioles
Twins
Angels

All the above are AL teams with playoff hopes (except Baltimore) who could have used him, but Frank Thomas couldn't get more than a paltry half mil guaranteed? Just last season the Angels shelled out millions for old (Finley) or useless (Cabrera) players, but can't reach back for just over a half million for a future Hall of Famer and one of the best hitters of the 90s who can still rake ...

Minnesota supposedly wanted him badly, but if Frank accepted a deal with only a guaranteed half mil then the Twins must not have wanted him that badly. Heck, I've already heard some Red Sox fans griping about how they wish they could have thrown Ortiz at first and have Frank DH for that small amount of cash.

RedsManRick
01-26-2006, 04:07 PM
I wonder how many other teams offered him the full time gig at DH. I know the player's assocation is a pain to work with, but I'm continually surprised by the lack of creativity in some deals. For example, why not sign a 35 year old player to a 4 year contract that decreases in gaurenteed money every year, and increases in performance bonuses? The player could still make a ton if he stays healthy and he gets the security of a four year deal, but the team isn't screwed if his age starts to show.

IslandRed
01-26-2006, 06:05 PM
I wonder how many other teams offered him the full time gig at DH. I know the player's assocation is a pain to work with, but I'm continually surprised by the lack of creativity in some deals. For example, why not sign a 35 year old player to a 4 year contract that decreases in gaurenteed money every year, and increases in performance bonuses? The player could still make a ton if he stays healthy and he gets the security of a four year deal, but the team isn't screwed if his age starts to show.

I'm sure that would appeal to some teams, but it only works if no other team comes along and offers the player a deal with better guarantees. Besides, players who have been in the show that long rarely embrace their decline phase. They'd rather take a one-year deal, believing that a big year will get them the contract they want next time. If the Giants need a player at that position, they may well be right. :laugh:

Nugget
01-26-2006, 06:20 PM
This signing would seem to be a total turnaround in the A's offensive policy - which may be a good thing considering what happened last year. However, this would mean that there will need to be a big change in policy. They now have a DH only player who is a liability on the base paths with other players around him who are meant to be producing runs without going for the big hit.

pedro
01-26-2006, 06:24 PM
This signing would seem to be a total turnaround in the A's offensive policy - which may be a good thing considering what happened last year. However, this would mean that there will need to be a big change in policy. They now have a DH only player who is a liability on the base paths with other players around him who are meant to be producing runs without going for the big hit.

Not sure what you mean by this Nugget. The A's during the Beane era have been a very station to station, high OBP focused team. I'm not sure in what sense you feel this is a departure from previous team policy.

steig
01-26-2006, 06:32 PM
This is a good signing for the A's but don't overrate the deal. Oakland is a huge ball park and I can't imagine Thomas putting up monster power numbers there. I would think that his average could be very high but his legs aren't healthy enough to leg out all the potential doubles. Also if he tries to start going for the power numbers he will probably start trying to pull the ball more and end up increasing his strike outs. This is a Billy Beane OPS signing. Thomas walks a lot and Beane loves guys like that. There may be a good reason that he went so late into the free agent season before being signed.

Nugget
01-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Yes but you are not only looking purely at the numbers. Yes Thomas puts in the right numbers in the right columns but from an actual playing point of view he is not going to fit. The A's try to manufacture runs by getting players on base and moving them to home. Thomas's big thing at the moment is going for home in one whack. Even if he does get one base - its going to take some hitting to move him around the bases.

westofyou
01-26-2006, 06:51 PM
The A's try to manufacture runs by getting players on base and moving them to home.
Don't all teams?

pedro
01-26-2006, 06:54 PM
Yes but you are not only looking purely at the numbers. Yes Thomas puts in the right numbers in the right columns but from an actual playing point of view he is not going to fit. The A's try to manufacture runs by getting players on base and moving them to home. Thomas's big thing at the moment is going for home in one whack. Even if he does get one base - its going to take some hitting to move him around the bases.

I don't know Nugget. Seems a lot like Jason Giambi to me.

BTW- Frank Thomas has a career OBP of .427

Nugget
01-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Haven't seen Thomas out and about lately (for that fact haven't seen any MLB players for about 8 months) but from all reports he is now pretty much a DH. When the A's had Giambi he could still play 1B and whilst not quick could at least run (maybe a canter if he was a racehorse).

pedro
01-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Haven't seen Thomas out and about lately (for that fact haven't seen any MLB players for about 8 months) but from all reports he is now pretty much a DH. When the A's had Giambi he could still play 1B and whilst not quick could at least run (maybe a canter if he was a racehorse).

True, but the A's have never really been a speed team under Beane. FWIW, they are, IMO, incredibly boring to watch, depsite the fact that I think Beane is a good GM.

RedsManRick
01-26-2006, 07:02 PM
This is a good signing for the A's but don't overrate the deal. Oakland is a huge ball park and I can't imagine Thomas putting up monster power numbers there. I would think that his average could be very high but his legs aren't healthy enough to leg out all the potential doubles. Also if he tries to start going for the power numbers he will probably start trying to pull the ball more and end up increasing his strike outs. This is a Billy Beane OPS signing. Thomas walks a lot and Beane loves guys like that. There may be a good reason that he went so late into the free agent season before being signed.

Thomas isn't exactly Richie Sexson. He has a career .307 average and walks like crazy. He brings more to the table than raw power. And even with a guy as lumbering as he is, a line drive in the gap is still gonna be a double. Even if 1/3 of his should be doubles are only singles, he'll still get more doubles than almost anybody else you could sign at that price.

I don't exactly see what your point is. It's not like there was some more attractive alternative available -- some guy with a .370 OBP and speed that they could have signed instead. It's Frank Thomas vs. Scott Hatteberg (or Ruby Durazo or whomever else) -- and for a few million bucks maximum that's one heck of an upgrade.

Cyclone792
09-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Frank Thomas so far this season ...

.283/.395/.566, which is good for a .961 OPS. He hit his 36th home run of the season tonight, and he's already had 491 plate appearances.

That was an excellent incentive-laden contract offered by Beane this offseason, and a very nice rebound year for the future Hall of Famer.

ol'Sparky
09-11-2006, 10:37 PM
so what ?

Team Clark
09-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Frank Thomas so far this season ...

.283/.395/.566, which is good for a .961 OPS. He hit his 36th home run of the season tonight, and he's already had 491 plate appearances.

That was an excellent incentive-laden contract offered by Beane this offseason, and a very nice rebound year for the future Hall of Famer.

Pretty ridiculous for a guy who supposed to be washed up. BTW, nice prediction on Thomas. I looked it up and you were right on the money.
:thumbup: