PDA

View Full Version : Brad Kullman on 1460 the Fan (Columbus)

Redsnake
01-25-2006, 06:36 PM
Kirk Herbstret and Bruce Hooley(?) on the Big Show had Brad Kullman on at 5:30. Basically Kullman was saying that within the next 2 day all the of the Reds personal are going to meet and discuss the state of the Reds. Scout, managment, personel, Barry Larkin, Eric Davis, etc.
He also mention that the Reds are in search of another SP and are going to be active in the next few days. He said don't be surprised to if a move is made soon. Roughly 12 teams are still willing to deal while the rest are pretty much set for now.
He also mention that some of the trade rumors might be revisited. Then he was asked if they were trying to trade Kearns. They were willing to look at all personal but then said that Kearns has came up in trade talks. Then He said the Reds will not just give him away. Many teams, including the Reds still feel Kearns has potential to be a gold glove player and a all-star hitter.

TeamBoone
01-25-2006, 06:42 PM
I've been wondering (to myself) when Barry's name might surface.

Good news about a SP.

dougdirt
01-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the rundown Redsnake!

redsfan30
01-25-2006, 07:27 PM
More direct Kullman quotes that lead you to believe the Kearns is all but gone. And it's interesting that he said prior deals could be revisited. Does that mean the Clement deal is still being discussed?

Should be an interesting next day or two.

wheels
01-25-2006, 07:41 PM
It's so nice to hear straight talk from a GM.

Let's hope he backs up those words with sound action.

Reds4Life
01-25-2006, 07:44 PM
If Kullman pulls off a deal to help the club I'd expect him to be the front runner for the GM job. RCast seems no nonsense, I think a good deal for the Reds would put him in RCast's good graces very quickly.

redsfanmia
01-25-2006, 07:50 PM
I've been wondering (to myself) when Barry's name might surface.

Good news about a SP.
I thought that the feud was between Larkin and Allen. If Larkin does indeed come back in a front office capacity maybe this signals the end is near for John Allen.

membengal
01-25-2006, 08:00 PM
It's so nice to hear straight talk from a GM.

Let's hope he backs up those words with sound action.

Boy, isn't that the truth.

There was simply no good reason for O'Brien to carry on the way he did in terms of communicating with the fans of the team. Being able to clear some of that haze away in the last few days by itself makes this a better year already.

BEETTLEBUG
01-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Does that mean they are thinking about bring Larkin and Davis back in Reds fold and out with Allen?

kbrake
01-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Yeah I really think Kearns time in Cincinnati is about to expire.

Joseph
01-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Dibble was discussing the previous regime in Cincinnati on XM this afternoon and it seems even former players weren't all that thrilled with O'Brien and his style.

Unassisted
01-25-2006, 08:14 PM
I thought that the feud was between Larkin and Allen. If Larkin does indeed come back in a front office capacity maybe this signals the end is near for John Allen.Not necessarily. Allen doesn't touch the baseball side of the organization anymore. He wouldn't have any input into the hiring of Larkin in a baseball capacity, and if Larkin were hired they wouldn't be working together.

steig
01-25-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm just don't want to see kearns get traded. I'd rather get a pitching prospect for Pena. He isn't going to cut it in the national league.

deltachi8
01-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Clement for Kearns would be huge for the Reds. Sounds like the next few days will be awfully interesting to say the least...

MartyFan
01-25-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm in Columbus but didn't get to hear this. DId Kullman mention Eric Davis and Barry Larkin or is that something we are hopeing for?

savafan
01-25-2006, 08:49 PM
It is believed that John Allen will only be staying with the Reds through the next year to help Cast and the new ownership group with their transition into understanding all of the financials of the team up until this point. Do not be surprised to hear about Allen resigning his position once that happens.

As for trades for starting pitching, I posted a rumor I had heard of Kearns and Milton to the Yankees for Carl Pavano in the Matt Clement thread. As deltachi said, it does indeed sound like the next few days could be very interesting.

Hondo
01-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Well, Barry Larkin always said that he wanted to be back with the Reds one day...I also recall him talking about Managing...But I know he would have to spend time upstairs and then as an understudy to "Sweet" Lou....hehe

JaredRoberts.com

Zito? Zito? Zito? Zito? Zito? Zito? Zito?

4256 Hits
01-25-2006, 09:19 PM
I thought that the feud was between Larkin and Allen. If Larkin does indeed come back in a front office capacity maybe this signals the end is near for John Allen.

Maybe they are going to boot Womak and bring him back as a player.:cool:

Shaknb8k
01-25-2006, 09:26 PM
I believe Pavano has a no-trade clause with his new deal so that is one problem that will have to be worked out if there is any truth to that deal.

Hondo
01-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Maybe they are going to boot Womak and bring him back as a player.:cool:

Sounds Interesting? What are the odds Dan O'Brein gets another GM job with another Baseball Team this Spring? Would he be willing to trade for Womack and his "Wheels" again in one single Off-Season??? You be the judge...

JaredRoberts.com

BigRed
01-25-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm glad that Kullman is looking to be aggressive. We all know that Dan O's passive approach wasn't working. I just hope that he doesn't do something risky and stupid trying to overimpress the boss.

Unassisted
01-25-2006, 10:09 PM
I just hope that he doesn't do something risky and stupid trying to overimpress the boss.He addressed that on the HSL show, according to Chip.

"Steve asked (Kullman) about this being an audition for the permanent GM job. Brad said that it's difficult because you'd like to make 5 trades and impress Bob but you don't want to make 5 trades that won't work out."

It's good that he has the long-term best interest of the club in mind.

Tommyjohn25
01-25-2006, 10:11 PM
My faith in this franchise is being restored more and more by the day. DanO being fired was like having a Javier Valentin type weight lifted from my shoulders ;) . I'm excited to see Reds baseball again, thank you RCast, because that is priceless.

Redsnake
01-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Kullman specifically said Barry Larkin and Eric Davis when mentioning this global meeting in 2 days. As soon as I heard it I perked up. I think all of Reds nation want to see Larkin back with the Reds in some form.

Also there was some discussion about the Cincinnati being a baseball town, a baseball staple of tradition. And it's lost that appeal in recent years. Also And Castilleni(sp?) didn't like the O'Brien plan. Limiting farm pitchers pitch counts, shouting down the pitchers early, (excuse me, I don't remember it all). I guess the point they were talking about is that O'Brien game plan of developing the farm system maybe right, but his everyday major league club lacked the respect that the Reds and there fans deserved. That developing farm talent is a most, but "waiting 6,8 or 10 years for it is not exceptable"!

Fellows, I'm not much of a optimist. But I flat out like the new owner and his "not acceptable approach".

MartyFan
01-25-2006, 10:41 PM
Kullman specifically said Barry Larkin and Eric Davis when mentioning this global meeting in 2 days. As soon as I heard it I perked up. I think all of Reds nation want to see Larkin back with the Reds in some form.

Also there was some discussion about the Cincinnati being a baseball town, a baseball staple of tradition. And it's lost that appeal in recent years. Also And Castilleni(sp?) didn't like the O'Brien plan. Limiting farm pitchers pitch counts, shouting down the pitchers early, (excuse me, I don't remember it all). I guess the point they were talking about is that O'Brien game plan of developing the farm system maybe right, but his everyday major league club lacked the respect that the Reds and there fans deserved. That developing farm talent is a most, but "waiting 6,8 or 10 years for it is not exceptable"!

Fellows, I'm not much of a optimist. But I flat out like the new owner and his "not acceptable approach".

I am an optimist and in all honesty I am more encouraged now than when JimBo made his "I'm not going to California to go to Disney..." line...this is bigger than the signing of Junior for this franchise...now, perhaps the full weight of the Junior deal can be enjoyed.

NewEraReds
01-25-2006, 11:33 PM
If Kullman pulls off a deal to help the club I'd expect him to be the front runner for the GM job. RCast seems no nonsense, I think a good deal for the Reds would put him in RCast's good graces very quickly.
i disagree, you cant give the job to a guy for one move. you have to hire the BEST guy out there. if kullman is the man fine, but i doubt it. plus kullman will stay if we go with someone dif, so why not. you get 2 great guys instead of one

Shaknb8k
01-25-2006, 11:43 PM
I also say take the best guy out there and if its Kullman then great. But dont not hire Kullman just cause he will still be there. He will be there but wont be aloud to do anything cause the GM will have full control. So the thought of having two great guys is a little misleading. There will be two good guys in the office but only one can make decisions and that guy wont like a guy looking over his shoulder the whole time. Two GM's in any form wont work. So if we keep Kullman and get another guy then Kullman wont and shouldnt be aloud to make any types of moves. That would only lead to trouble.

NewEraReds
01-26-2006, 12:08 AM
I also say take the best guy out there and if its Kullman then great. But dont not hire Kullman just cause he will still be there. He will be there but wont be aloud to do anything cause the GM will have full control. So the thought of having two great guys is a little misleading. There will be two good guys in the office but only one can make decisions and that guy wont like a guy looking over his shoulder the whole time. Two GM's in any form wont work. So if we keep Kullman and get another guy then Kullman wont and shouldnt be aloud to make any types of moves. That would only lead to trouble.
he wouldnt be looking over his shoulder. my point is, would you rather have 1 great mind working on the team, or 2 great minds working together? sure the gm will have final say, but its not like kullman will be delivering the paychecks to all the workers on fridays ;)

kbrake
01-26-2006, 12:20 AM
Sure doesnt seem like Kullman got to do much under Obrien. In the interviews he has been giving lately it doesnt seem like he would have ran the team the way that it was run.

MartyFan
01-26-2006, 12:32 AM
Before DanO got here Kullman went out and got us Harang...that was one pretty good move...I can't recall the other moves he made as Interim GM when Pants was sent packing.

harangatang
01-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Before DanO got here Kullman went out and got us Harang...that was one pretty good move...I can't recall the other moves he made as Interim GM when Pants was sent packing.

Kullman also got us Claussen (A. Boone trade) and Belisle (K. Mercker trade). He also got Jimenez really cheap which was good until DanO screwed that up. Also he recognized talent in Freel and got him called up from AAA. There were a few other minor moves but that highlights the major ones.

wheels
01-26-2006, 12:51 AM
Kullman also got us Claussen (A. Boone trade) and Belisle (K. Mercker trade). He also got Jimenez really cheap which was good until DanO screwed that up. Also he recognized talent in Freel and got him called up from AAA. There were a few other minor moves but that highlights the major ones.

Actually Jimenez was Bowden's final accquisition.

TeamBoone
01-26-2006, 12:54 AM
And I believe it was Maddox who brought in Claussen.

Question though... what exactly did he do under DOB? I've never heard his name mentioned since he was interim GM before... until now.

KronoRed
01-26-2006, 01:09 AM
Thanks Redsnake :)

I like a GM who doesn't play word games.

Ron Madden
01-26-2006, 07:16 AM
And I believe it was Maddox who brought in Claussen.

Question though... what exactly did he do under DOB? I've never heard his name mentioned since he was interim GM before... until now.

Assistent GM.

GoReds
01-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Barry Larkin - Piniella's bench coach?
Eric Davis - Outfield coach?

The fact that BOTH were mentioned and BOTH played under Piniella just seems to add more weight to Lou being brought back as a manager soon.

kbrake
01-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Yeah I knew what Kullman did right after Bowden was fired and I know he was an assistant to O'Brien, but it does not really seem like he did much while O'Brien was around. It just goes to show if it take him a week or less to trade Kearns that he obviously has a much different philosophy then O'Brien.

Phil in BG
01-26-2006, 09:11 AM
It makes you wonder what an assistant does. We heard nothing of Brad under O'Brien. It sounds like he has a totally different philosophy, so his ideas were either ignored or supported O'Brien's. Somehow this doesn't sound right. So which way is it? Brad can't be totally separated from Dan O'Brien unless he comes out and says he had very different ideas and those ideas went nowhere.

M2
01-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Bringing Larkin in is like giving John Allen a giant Cleveland steamer.

Phil, my take is that so far everything Kullman has said and done screams that he thought DanO was an idiot. It was clear he'd been pushed to the margins during the DanO regime. My guess is that if Kullman ran the show for a year, he'd erase most every fingerprint DanO left on the team.

Phil in BG
01-26-2006, 09:53 AM
M2, thanks for the insight. It makes sense what you're saying. It sure would have been tough in his position under O'Brien.

Chip R
01-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Isn't Larkin still with the Washington Nationals? I don't recall reading anything about him quitting or being fired there. If he's still with them, why is he helping the Reds? :confused:

savafan
01-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Hasn't it been mentioned before that Larkin's contract with the Nationals allows him an out if he is offered a playing position somewhere else, or a job with the Reds? I may be wrong, but I swear I've seen that printed somewhere before.

TeamBoone
01-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Weren't all Bowden's "people" only contracted for one year while he was "interim" GM?

westofyou
01-26-2006, 10:11 AM

Brad Kullman was assistant GM with Bowden, with Dan it was "Director of ML operations"

He handled contract negotiations, salary arbritration, researched potential trades and free agentsand MLB trends.

Brad is responsible for getting the Reds off a paper based scouting system into a computer based program, plus he oversaw the video installation for the video scouting system.

KronoRed
01-26-2006, 10:24 AM
My guess is that if Kullman ran the show for a year, he'd erase most every fingerprint DanO left on the team.
Sounds good to me :cool:

BrooklynRedz
01-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Larkin is currently without a contract. I would imagine that if nothing came of the Reds situation, he would return to the Nats in some capacity, though exactly what that would be is a mystery to me. In an interview I remember reading toward the end of last season he seemed turned off by the front office experience in Washington. I think he'd rather return to the field in a hands-on coaching role.

Redsnake
01-26-2006, 10:52 AM
When Kullman was talking he said that he was getting outside perspective on the current Reds ball club. So in a way he was looking for outside consulting. I could be wrong but it was if he got perspective from different teams as well.
As far as Larkin goes, with the exception of John Allen, no one wants Larkin in any position with any other club. It's only a matter of time before Larkin is back home.

Redsland
01-27-2006, 09:48 PM
My understanding was that the reason Barry Larkin's name came up was that the team was discussing a belated "Barry Larkin Day."

So it might not have had anything to do with offering him a job at this time.