PDA

View Full Version : Tribe exec likely on Reds' list

OnBaseMachine
01-26-2006, 07:53 AM
If the Reds hire Antonetti...then I will be thrilled. I think this guy will be a brilliant GM, hopefully with the Reds.

BCast, PLEASE do not hire Beattie as the new GM. Antonetti is your man.

Tribe exec likely on Reds' list

BY JOHN FAY AND KEVIN KELLY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITERS

The official field for the Reds' general manager's job remains at two, but it looks to be growing.

Brad Kullman, the team's interim GM, and Jim Beattie, a former Expos and Orioles GM, are the only ones that have expressed interest in the job and are on owner Bob Castellini's list.

The Reds had not received permission to release the names of any candidates as of late Wednesday.

Twins assistant GM Wayne Krivsky likely will be on the list, as will Cleveland assistant GM Chris Antonetti as soon as the Reds can go through official channels and clear the way. The Reds had not contacted Krivsky or Antonetti as of late Wednesday afternoon.

The 30-year-old Antonetti has spent the past seven seasons with the Indians, and the past four in his current position overseeing the information systems within the baseball operations department and handling all aspects of player arbitration.

"He is definitively a bright star," Indians GM Mark Shapiro said Wednesday. "Of all the bright young guys that have been around the game, Chris is as talented, as intelligent, with interpersonal skills as good as anybody I've been around.

"He's ready to be GM whenever he wants to be one. When he is one he won't just be an average GM. He'll be an impact GM."

Antonetti holds a bachelor's degree in business administration from Georgetown University, where he once served as a student manager for the men's basketball team, and a master's degree in sports management from the University of Massachusetts.

Citing a personal policy that any announcement about possible candidates should come from the team conducting the search, Shapiro declined to say Wednesday whether the Reds had inquired about Antonetti.

Castellini and partner Tom Williams were in New York on Tuesday and Wednesday to meet with Major League Baseball officials for a kind of "new owner's school."

Castellini hopes to have a GM in place by the start of spring training.

Hired this week as a special adviser to Castellini, the 51-year-old Beattie is viewed by many as the leading candidate. But the job simply cannot be filled immediately as Major League Baseball mandates there be an interview process and that minority candidates be considered.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060126/SPT04/601260321/1071

NewEraReds
01-26-2006, 10:59 AM
i agree, i really dont want either kullman or beattie, beattie the most. there are just so many great guys at are disposal right now, that getting beatie would really suck imo ;)