View Full Version : "Unfounded Rumors"

CincyFalcon
01-26-2006, 08:21 AM
From mlbtraderumors.com:

This site mentions several rumors that could be pulled off in the next week:

Dunn to Baltimore or LA Dodgers

Kerns Still involved in the BoSox/Indians mess

Griffey to Atlanta

Once again nothing really concrete but some interesting rumors...

savafan
01-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Rumors of Adam Dunn to LA with possibly Lowe or Penny coming to Cincinnati. The Dodgers can keep Lowe. I'd like for Penney to be a Red, but he alone isn't enough for Dunn.

Bedard or Penn are rumored to be available for Dunn from the O's.

Brandon Moss is being reported as the prospect that would come back to Cincy in the three team deal involving Kearns, Clement and Crisp. Anybody know anything about him?

NewEraReds
01-26-2006, 11:57 AM
i went to the site, and this is no offense to you, but thats one of the dumbest places ive ever been to

dunn for lowe or penny, thats hilarious

NewEraReds
01-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Rumors of Adam Dunn to LA with possibly Lowe or Penny coming to Cincinnati. The Dodgers can keep Lowe. I'd like for Penney to be a Red, but he alone isn't enough for Dunn.

Bedard or Penn are rumored to be available for Dunn from the O's.

Brandon Moss is being reported as the prospect that would come back to Cincy in the three team deal involving Kearns, Clement and Crisp. Anybody know anything about him?
not that i think any of that crap has ANY validity to it, moss is a 22 year old, played in aa last year. his ba have been ok. not big homer or sb numbers. not sure what his strength is

Red Leader
01-26-2006, 12:02 PM

Brandon Moss is a RF prospect of the Red Sox. I checked a couple sites to get info from him and they all included the words "overrated prospect".

These are the two most recent entries on him from Rotoworld.com:

Moss has slumped over the last couple of months, leaving him at .261/.336/.436 in 129 games. He's an overrated prospect, but there's still a chance that the 21-year-old could become a major league right fielder

After playing just 23 games in the Florida State League last year, Moss made the jump to Double-A this season and hit .268/.337/.441. The Red Sox may use him in right field next year should Trot Nixon get hurt again, but he could also be considered trade bait.

zombie-a-go-go
01-26-2006, 12:06 PM
BAL refused to trade Bedard for Dunn last year, IIRC.

vaticanplum
01-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Trading Adam Dunn for Derek Lowe or Brad Penny alone was NOT what I had in mind when I was imagining the new owners coming in and making some big moves.

I don't like the idea of the Matt Clement trade, but I understand its validity. This, though -- they'd have to be downright idiots to make a trade like that.

Matt700wlw
01-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Here's some facts.

Kullman has contacted every team about a possible trade, and there are interested participants. I have no names mentioned, or details, but unlike previous regimes, they aren't sitting on their hands - they are trying to make something happen.

redsfan30
01-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Here's some facts.

Kullman has contacted every team about a possible trade, and there are interested participants. I have no names mentioned, or details, but unlike previous regimes, they aren't sitting on their hands - they are trying to make something happen.
Judging from what you heard at your lunchon yesterday, is there any hope of something getting done either today or tomorrow? If not, how soon?

Matt700wlw
01-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Judging from what you heard at your lunchon yesterday, is there any hope of something getting done either today or tomorrow? If not, how soon?

At one point, Kullman said pretty much, don't be surprised if I have another media release/newspaper story (can't remember his exact words) for you guys in the next couple days.

That was yesterday.

If something is in the works, I would expect it soon.

flyer85
01-26-2006, 01:21 PM
they aren't sitting on their hands - they are trying to make something happen.I was happy for DanO to do nothing because whenever he "did" something, it tended to make things worse.

I don't want a move to just make a move. I hope Kullman had the big picture in mind because it is hard to see than anything could be done to make the 06 Reds a contender.

If a move is to be made it had better be a good for the long term benefit of the Reds. I don't see that trading Dunn or Kearns at this point fits the description unless they get a lot of young talent.

If a deal has to be made, trade Womack:rolleyes:.

redsfan30
01-26-2006, 01:26 PM
I posted an article from the Enquirer over on the Matt Clement thread that quotes Kullman as saying that he does not want to trade Austin Kearns. He stated in earlier articles that the interest isn't as high in Wily Mo Pena. But he told the media yesterday basically to be ready....

This is getting curiouser and curiouser....

BCubb2003
01-26-2006, 01:40 PM
So if all the rumors are true, the starting outfield will be Freel, Stratton and Denorfia?

KronoRed
01-26-2006, 01:41 PM
So if all the rumors are true, the starting outfield will be Freel, Stratton and Denorfia?
:eek:

pedro
01-26-2006, 01:44 PM
BAL refused to trade Bedard for Dunn last year, IIRC.

If true, that sure isn't a ringing endorsement for Mike Flanagan as GM.

edit: Um, I meant Jim Beattie, but I guess it works both ways.

CincyRedsFan30
01-26-2006, 01:46 PM
I could certainly see something happening today or tomorrow based on what I've heard.

It also sounds like the deal could potentially be a big one. I expect it to be something that really makes an impact and could get fans talking.

Also, as mentioned by Brooklyn on another thread, it sounds a like a complete list of GM candidates will be out by late this afternoon, so that will help clear some questions many have. I'm still expecting Krivsky and Kullman to be among those at the top of the list.

scounts22
01-26-2006, 01:57 PM

:help: :all_cohol

Phil in BG
01-26-2006, 01:58 PM
I could certainly see something happening today or tomorrow based on what I've heard.

It also sounds like the deal could potentially be a big one. I expect it to be something that really makes an impact and could get fans talking.

Also, as mentioned by Brooklyn on another thread, it sounds a like a complete list of GM candidates will be out by late this afternoon, so that will help clear some questions many have. I'm still expecting Krivsky and Kullman to be among those at the top of the list.

This is what really causes excitement on these boards. I have the feeling with this new owner, it will become common place until the Reds are a perennial contender. He will not rest. What a wonderful change.

vic715
01-26-2006, 02:10 PM
According to the new owners they are ready to win now so I don't see a deal involving Kearns or Dunn that won't bring in a big impact player.I myself don't like seeing those young outfielders traded for prospects that are unproven. If you are going to do that then they might as well kept OB onboard with his long term plan.

RadioWink
01-26-2006, 02:20 PM
I was at the affiliate luncheon yesterday also... Matt did it seem to you that Narron danced around the question about Willy Mo finally having a starting position? He said something like, "..he'll have a chance to earn a spot.." It could be nothing... but I really expected a comment like "..yeap, we've moved AD to make room for Willy Mo.."

Also, outside of Kullman's references to FDR & Pearl Harbor... he sure seemed anxious to let the cat out of the bag on potential trades that he's been working on.

redsfan30

Despite what Kullman said, do you hear anything about Kearns being involved still?

Caveat Emperor

They'd also officially be the first team to go to the 10 man rotation.

Milton
Harang
Claussen
Clement
Westbrook
Penny
Lowe
Pavano
Wilson
Williams

Matt700wlw
01-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Despite what Kullman said, do you hear anything about Kearns being involved still?

I think it all depends what the return is.

I think right now you can get more for Kearns than Pena, but neither will get you what you could get for Dunn.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

MikeS21
01-26-2006, 02:35 PM
This is what really causes excitement on these boards. I have the feeling with this new owner, it will become common place until the Reds are a perennial contender. He will not rest. What a wonderful change.
Don't get too excited. An impact trade usually means losing popular players (ie. Lee May for Joe Morgan). There are only two or three players in this entire organization who will fetch this kind of impact, and it isn't Austin Kearns or Wily Mo Pena.

TheGARB
01-26-2006, 02:38 PM
There are only two or three players in this entire organization who will fetch this kind of impact, and it isn't Austin Kearns or Wily Mo Pena.

ooh, ooh, I know this one.... Is it Eric Milton and Paul Wilson? Just a year ago they were "number one starters". :bang:

CincyRedsFan30
01-26-2006, 03:01 PM

I haven't heard that, but I still think he's involved despite what Kullman said. Although he has certainly been very direct about many things, that particular statement is likely a cop-out of some sort. I think the guy really likes building the suspense on issues as much as he can.

As much as it seemed unlikely that Dunn could possibly be involved under O'Brien, I think it is just as likely that he could be involved under Kullman, but of course only under the right conditions...

redsfan30
01-26-2006, 03:03 PM
I haven't heard that, but I still think he's involved despite what Kullman said. Although he has certainly been very direct about many things, that particular statement is likely a cop-out of some sort. I think the guy really likes building the suspense on issues as much as he can.

As much as it seemed unlikely that Dunn could possibly be involved under O'Brien, I think it is just as likely that he could be involved under Kullman, but of course only under the right conditions...
Thanks alot for all the information. If you come across anything else please share with all your friends!!

RedLegSuperStar
01-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Hrmm,

I'd only trade Dunn if I could get Bedard And Penn, Harden, Penny And either Billingsley or Broxton.

On Kearns.. I saw Papelbon and Shoppach rumored for Crisp. So instead of giving us Clement (who may have some sort of injury baggage the way Boston offers him in every deal), why don't we just take Bostons 2 prospects and Kearns goes to Cleveland and Boston gets Crisp. Also Kearns has been linked to the KC Royals.. But word out of KC they arn't letting go of Grienke ( Mike MacDougal, Jeremy Affeldt, Runelvys Hernandez, and Denny Bautista have all been rumored in some way as part of the deal)

rotoworld.com for information

KronoRed
01-26-2006, 03:35 PM

Milton
Harang
Claussen
Clement
Westbrook
Penny
Lowe
Pavano
Wilson
WilliamsCutting Milton down to 15 starts would REALLy help :D

Doc. Scott
01-26-2006, 03:41 PM

Milton
Harang
Claussen
Clement
Westbrook
Penny
Lowe
Pavano
Wilson
Williams

Hey, this way we can do tandem starters to save their arms! Take it to the bank, bro.

corkedbat
01-26-2006, 04:01 PM

I know you're being facetious, but I expect the Reds to add at least one more 1B/OF-type to the mix before ST - especially if a deal goes down involving Dunn, Kearns, Griffey or Pena. Possibly as return in part of a larger deal, possibly a FA signing or in another deal involving one of our catchers or a relief pitcher.

I'm not talking about an A-type or an all-star, but instead either a young guy or a veteran who can add depth as a part-time veteran (Romanos and Womacks don't count). It would be nice if Kullman or the new GM could come up with someone like Encarnacion or Guillien who is ready to turn things around and could provide depth and production, then be flipped for young talent down the road.

I agree with those who say you trade an outfielder like Kearns or Pena for good (especially young pitching), but would add a caveat - you need to be able to identify and bring in low-cost options to enhance your offense. Say what you will about Jimbo (and there surely is a lot you could), but that certainly was a talent we could use.

Roy Tucker
01-26-2006, 04:05 PM

Words carefully chosen they are.

Jr's Boy
01-26-2006, 04:15 PM

Here,Here!

Heath
01-26-2006, 04:16 PM
How much DOES Mike Sweeney make? ;)

Maldonado
01-26-2006, 04:29 PM
"Griffey to Atlanta"

How many years have there been Griffey trade rumors? I can't keep up anymore.

M2
01-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Jr. to Atlanta fascinates me.

That club can absorb his salary and it has youth to deal. I'd love to see the Reds get their hooks in a young catcher like Brian McCann or Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Anthony Lerew would be a nice arm to pick up. The Braves present a lot of interesting options.

Red Leader
01-27-2006, 11:51 AM

That club can absorb his salary and it has youth to deal. I'd love to see the Reds get their hooks in a young catcher like Brian McCann or Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Anthony Lerew would be a nice arm to pick up. The Braves present a lot of interesting options.

Absolutely. A great fit. Only obstacle is Andruw Jones in CF, and Jr willing to move positions (which he should anyway). Found this on mlb4u.com:

+ will only accept trades to Atlanta, Houston, Los Angeles and St. Louis
Agent: Brian Goldberg
Service Time: 16.000

So Jr. will only accept a trade to 4 teams, and 1/2 of them are in our own division? Geeeez.

redsfan30
01-27-2006, 12:06 PM
So Jr. will only accept a trade to 4 teams, and 1/2 of them are in our own division? Geeeez.
Junior ain't no dummy. He knows he'd get to face Reds pitching 20 times a year if he were in Houston or St. Louis. And nothing helps revive a career like facing Reds pitching 20 times a year.

;)

savafan
01-27-2006, 12:18 PM
And nothing helps revive a career like facing Reds pitching 20 times a year.

;)

Look what it did for Tony Womack. :D

Red Leader
01-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Junior ain't no dummy. He knows he'd get to face Reds pitching 20 times a year if he were in Houston or St. Louis. And nothing helps revive a career like facing Reds pitching 20 times a year.

;)

I personally think Griffey listed those two teams because A) he didn't think the Reds would trade him within the division, B) even if they did, he would still play a good number of games in Cincinnati, and C) because he expects those two teams to be competitve annually (and probably in that order).

M2
01-27-2006, 12:35 PM
I personally think Griffey listed those two teams because A) he didn't think the Reds would trade him within the division, B) even if they did, he would still play a good number of games in Cincinnati, and C) because he expects those two teams to be competitve annually (and probably in that order).

and D) none of them play in the AL with the DH rule.

Ravenlord
01-27-2006, 12:44 PM
and D) none of them play in the AL with the DH rule.
and don't all four of them have ST in Florida?

M2
01-27-2006, 12:47 PM
and don't all four of them have ST in Florida?

Not sure, Houston might be out in AZ.

Big Donkey
01-27-2006, 12:49 PM

Griffey-to-ATL is seemingly forever an off-and-on rumor. I haven't heard much of anything on it this offseason, but I know last year when it was picking up some steam, it was reportedly said if Griffey was dealt to ATL, he could live with that and would gladly play LF there without any kind of problem. I think ATL has plans on moving Saltalamacchia to 1B as soon as this season, and keeping McCann at catcher and are as high on those two as anyone in their entire system, so while no one is "untradeable", I do think those are two of the very last guys they'd be willing to deal most likely.

If I recall, for some salary relief from CIN, ATL was rumored last year to be willing to move Kyle Davies and Ryan Langerhans or Kelly Johnson for him (and maybe another prospect like Anthony Lerew or Chuck James, depending on how much the Reds kicked in). I think I recall hearing an offer without Davies, just one of the outfielders and young pitchers for a lesser amount of salary relief, or perhaps none at all, from the Reds.

Again, this was all last year so a lot could have changed, and it never looked like anything was too close to begin with. It was just a rumor I was always following closely because I think, despite the stigma that "ATL always rips us (and others) off in deals", I think they match up quite well with CIN. ATL is one team always at least mildly intereseted in Griff, and it's one of a very handful of teams (perhaps just two) that he'd go to without breaking his heart. All that said, he still would rather stay in Cincy more than anything, obviously.

M2
01-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Kelly Johnson and Anthony Lerew for Jr. (and his salary) would certainly work for me.

Red Leader
01-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Doesn't ATL have a catching prospect behind McCann and Salty that's supposedly pretty good, too? I thought I remembered hearing that and thinking..."now that dude needs a trade."

cincyinco
01-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Doesn't ATL have a catching prospect behind McCann and Salty that's supposedly pretty good, too? I thought I remembered hearing that and thinking..."now that dude needs a trade."

Maximo Ramirez.. tore the cover off the ball this year in short season behind another great 3b prospect for them named Eric Campbell. Crap, I wouldn't even mind an injection of thier lower minor talent. The Braves are stacked.

James Parr, Max Ramirez, Eric Campbell, Pope, Escobar, Andrus, etc. Scouts are RAVING about Elvis Andrus, their 16/17year old phenom SS.

Red Leader
01-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Maximo Ramirez.. tore the cover off the ball this year in short season behind another great 3b prospect for them named Eric Campbell.

Scouts are RAVING about Elvis Andrus, their 16/17year old phenom SS.

That's him (Max Ramirez). I agree that even a lower minor league influx wouldn't be a bad deal. Maybe throw in one major league player (Johnson/Davies), and then add 2 lower minor guys for Griffey

buckeyenut
01-27-2006, 05:41 PM
I agree the Jr to ATL noise is most interesting. ATL matches up well. The other team I'd love to raid top end prospects from is ANA. They would be one of the few teams with enough ammo to get me to consider moving Dunn.

That said, having recently read a writeup by Scoscia on their approach, I think Freel would be a great fit out there.

M2
01-27-2006, 05:44 PM
IMO, what you probably want to do is cherry pick a lower minors talent like this Ramirez kid as the add-in on a deal (e.g. the third man behind some more advanced talent).

M2
01-27-2006, 05:45 PM
I agree the Jr to ATL noise is most interesting. ATL matches up well. The other team I'd love to raid top end prospects from is ANA. They would be one of the few teams with enough ammo to get me to consider moving Dunn.

That said, having recently read a writeup by Scoscia on their approach, I think Freel would be a great fit out there.

Someone's going to get Erick Aybar from that team for a power bat at some point in 2006 (he's got Orlando Cabrera in front of him and Brandon Wood behind him).

cincyinco
01-27-2006, 05:59 PM
That's him (Max Ramirez). I agree that even a lower minor league influx wouldn't be a bad deal. Maybe throw in one major league player (Johnson/Davies), and then add 2 lower minor guys for Griffey

Kyle Davies, Max Ramirez, and another low level guy would be outstanding IMHO.

savafan
01-27-2006, 06:28 PM
This Eric Campbell kid would be a nice pick-up. His name is intriguing. ;)

KronoRed
01-28-2006, 03:08 AM
This Eric Campbell kid would be a nice pick-up. His name is intriguing. ;)
Can he run? :D

KoryMac5
01-28-2006, 10:59 AM
The Reds, after giving indications that they would be aggressive in pursuing trades following the firing of general manager Dan O'Brien, are modifying that stance under orders from new owner Bob Castellini, according to a major-league source. Interim general manager Brad Kullman still could trade Kearns and others, but the team isn't as anxious to make a deal.

*The Associated Press contributed to this report.

I can't forsee anybody getting dealt until right before the deadline. I think the new ownership wants to see what we have before dealing them away.

Redmachine2003
01-28-2006, 11:19 AM
The Reds, after giving indications that they would be aggressive in pursuing trades following the firing of general manager Dan O'Brien, are modifying that stance under orders from new owner Bob Castellini, according to a major-league source. Interim general manager Brad Kullman still could trade Kearns and others, but the team isn't as anxious to make a deal.

*The Associated Press contributed to this report.

I can't forsee anybody getting dealt until right before the deadline. I think the new ownership wants to see what we have before dealing them away.
I think he wants who ever is going to be the GM the chance to make his own trades and not be stuck with what ever the intern left him.

Joseph
01-28-2006, 11:32 AM
That news isn't entirely disappointing to me. I was worried we'd be gun ho to just do something because Dan O hadn't done anything.

Redmachine2003
01-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Here is another Reds and Dodgers Rumor from another Board. WMP and Milton for O. Perez and Choi. I find this one alittle interesting for the fact we would be trading a fly ball lefty for a ground ball lefty and Milton would be moving to a bigger park. Choi could be a bat of the bench and back up 1st baseman. Put Denorfia in the out field with Kearns and Jr, this D looks alot better. May we can throw in Womack just for good measures.

Caseyfan21
01-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Here is another Reds and Dodgers Rumor from another Board. WMP and Milton for O. Perez and Choi. I find this one alittle interesting for the fact we would be trading a fly ball lefty for a ground ball lefty and Milton would be moving to a bigger park. Choi could be a bat of the bench and back up 1st baseman. Put Denorfia in the out field with Kearns and Jr, this D looks alot better. May we can throw in Womack just for good measures.

If this were to happen, I would think Choi would start at first while Dunn would go back to left. I'm not sure about this trade honestly. I haven't look at Perez or Choi's stats with enough depth to get a read on whether I would want them. Getting rid of Milton would be a plus but I'm not sure I want to unload Pena as well.

savafan
01-29-2006, 12:00 AM
If this were to happen, I would think Choi would start at first while Dunn would go back to left. I'm not sure about this trade honestly. I haven't look at Perez or Choi's stats with enough depth to get a read on whether I would want them. Getting rid of Milton would be a plus but I'm not sure I want to unload Pena as well.

I don't want to get rid of Pena either, but if that is what it takes to dump Milton, so be it. I've always liked Choi.

marcshoe
01-29-2006, 12:01 AM
A lot of people here wanted Odalis last year. He had a rough season with an ERA over 5, but what's more troublesome is that he had some injury issues that may be a TJ precursor. If healthy, I think he'd be a decent pitcher, but i'm still leaning toward someone younger and cheaper.

If the team is looking for a vet, though, I wonder if LA might be the team to deal with, what with the GM gone and the pitching having been pretty much assembled by DePodesta. It'd be nice if you could pry Penny away if that is the case....

Big Donkey
01-29-2006, 02:30 AM
I dunno, maybe there IS something to the Milton-to-LA talk... it comes up often. I know I've doused out some flames on that one from what I thought to be optimistic Reds fans a few times before. I think it first came up due to Derek Lowe being openly shopped ("change of scenery") and maybe some folks naturally connected Milton to him... you know, flyball guy to a bigger park, groundball guy to a slightly hitter-friendly park (I'm not calling it a "hitter's haven" or "small park", park factors for GAB prove that as many here know).

Last I knew on it, LA was open to shopping Lowe, Brad Penny or Odalis Perez mainly to SAVE money toward resigning Jeff Weaver. I do however know they've been interested in a power hitting outfielder, so perhaps I can buy Wily Mo Pena's name interesting them assuming they've been shut down on Adam Dunn (LA's asked about him quite a few times, reportedly).

Since Weaver's unlikely to happen for them and money's basically the same now, maybe they've renegotiated their stance and are willing to take a Milton with Pena, for instance, as long as they swap out someone making money. Something else that leads a little credence is I've heard in the past the Reds have looked at Choi before. I'll see if I can find anything out Monday morning.

Ravenlord
01-29-2006, 07:50 AM
I've always liked Choi.
so have i, but his bat speed is noticeably slower than what it was pre-concussion.

StillFunkyB
01-29-2006, 01:11 PM

I would do this in a heartbeat. At least Odalis has been good in the past, whereas Milton has never been good.

I would rather keep Ears than WMP. I wish it wasn't like this, and the Reds could keep both.

I don't know much about Choi, seems to me that he is very Casey-esque.