PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone gone to the Caravan at Flannagan's in Dublin before?

redsfan30
01-26-2006, 11:00 AM
I was thinking about going to the Reds Caravan stop at Flannagan's in Dublin tomorrow afternoon. I usually go to the one in West Carrolton but I'll be in Columbus tomorrow anyway and thought I'd just stop there.

But as I was looking up directions, I noticed that Flannagan's is a 21 and up place. Surely they don't enforce that while the Reds are there, do they?

If they do and I can't get in there to see the Reds because I'm only 20 I'm going to be mad.

Help from anyone who's attended this stop before?

BuckU
01-26-2006, 11:35 AM
The last time I went was the year that Dunn, Kearns, Boone, MacRae were there and IIRC there were young ones there so I think you're safe.

redsfan30
01-26-2006, 11:46 AM
The last time I went was the year that Dunn, Kearns, Boone, MacRae were there and IIRC there were young ones there so I think you're safe.
Thanks for the response. I sure hope you're right.

I emailed the Reds about it awhile ago but I doubt I'll ever hear anything back.

Thanks again!

scounts22
01-26-2006, 01:21 PM
I was reading on the Flannagan's website a couple days ago that it's 18 and up tomorrow, but I've been there in the past for the caravan and there have been several young kids, so I would agree that you're safe.

Flannagan's is phenomenal and always packed. Have a great time! :)

Caseyfan21
01-26-2006, 04:46 PM
They don't enforce it. I went last year and there were people of all ages there. I agree about the being packed. It was crowded last year and if I recall there was snow on the ground. After hitting the Indian's caravan stop with my roommate this past Monday, I can't wait to see the Reds.

wheels
01-27-2006, 07:04 AM
I been there twice and I've seen youngsters there.

From what I've heard, they don't even enforce that rule on normal days.

redsfan30
01-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks everyone!

djsauter
01-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Per a reply from Flannagan's themselves, the event is open to all ages, but a band playing later is 18+.

Which players are supposed to be here??

Caseyfan21
01-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Per a reply from Flannagan's themselves, the event is open to all ages, but a band playing later is 18+.

Which players are supposed to be here??

Dave Williams, Chris Denorfia, Lee May, Marty & Steve, Kullman, Phil Castillini, Narron, and Kent Mercker. Possibly some other front office types but I'm not sure.

MartyFan
01-27-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm thinking of going...if for nothing else to get my pic with Marty and Steve...they do that stuff there, right? I've never been.

scounts22
01-27-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm thinking of going...if for nothing else to get my pic with Marty and Steve...they do that stuff there, right? I've never been.

I can't remember if they do that or not, but you can always take their picture as you're walking through the line. I know that's not quite the same...

TheGARB
01-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Red Hot Mama recounts her trip to the Caravan stop in Indy last night at her site. She got in some good questions. You can check it out here:

http://www.red-hot-mama.com/comments.php?id=311_0_1_0_C

Caseyfan21
01-27-2006, 02:30 PM
I can't remember if they do that or not, but you can always take their picture as you're walking through the line. I know that's not quite the same...

I know they are sort of up a little bit from you on almost a stage like platform. That being said I'm sure you could slow up the line for a second to get a quick picture with you standing in front. I don't remember anyone doing it last year, but I'd at least give it a try if you have the time. It doesn't hurt and it's free to attend.

Caseyfan21
01-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Anyone have any good questions for tonight?

I plan on trying to be there by 5 pm so I might be able to toss one or two good ones out there.

I really wanted to ask them about a new TV deal or radio deal like the Cardinals did and how it could affect the Columbus area (in terms of hopefully getting more games).

TeamBoone
01-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Red Hot Mama recounts her trip to the Caravan stop in Indy last night at her site. She got in some good questions. You can check it out here:

http://www.red-hot-mama.com/comments.php?id=311_0_1_0_C

Hmmmm, great site but I noticed there is no link to Redszone!

Caseyfan21
01-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Just got back in from the event. I don't have much to report on in terms of the Q & A. My buddies were running late this afternoon so we didn't get there until 5:30. I talked a little with people one on one.

Highlights:

1.) Asked Mercker to sign a ball for a friend on the sweet spot. (My friend is a big fan and asked me to get it for him.) Mercker just started laughing and said "You really need to get some new friends man." Mercker was, by far, the most relaxed and friendly of the players there. He took the time to shake everyone's hand and ask how they were doing.

2.) Denorfia was at the end of the table. I remarked to him that it looked like it went by seniority since Lee May was on the other end. He turned to Dave Williams and said, "Yeah, looks like they did put all of us crappy players down here and it all rolls downhill." I responded, "Well, they do say **** rolls downhill." And Denorfia (laughing) goes, "Yeah, I guess it really does." :laugh: Denorfia was a really nice guy (with a good sense of humor) and reiterated how excited he was for this year when I remarked he was one trade away from possibly starting.

3.) My friend was getting Marty's autograph when two attractive ladies came up and started talking to him. Marty just gave them hugs and stopped the entire line up for a minute or so while Narron and Stewart made fun of him behind his back. Then he returned to signing my buddy's baseball and said, "Yeah, one of them is a wife of one of my good friends." :laugh:

4.) My highlight was probably talking to Phil Castellini (while Marty was holding up the line with the ladies). I asked him what he would be doing exactly just to stir up a little conversation and he mentioned how he would be handling financial aspects such as some ticket sales and luxury suite sales. He then (being a business man) told me I should come down and check them out this year. I then thanked him giving us Reds fan some hope. He responded, "We will change things around here. We won't stop until we do." I know this is just a line he's giving to a fan but it's encouraging to see that they are trying to step up and at least give us hope that the Reds will turn it around.

All around it was a good night. There was a pretty large crowd, much bigger than last year IMO. Lots of good talk between fans and players. Another highlight was when we were leaving and walked by Mr. Red (no Gapper to be seen unlike last year). My friend (a diehard Indians fan) was wearing his Indians jacket. Mr. Red just tapped him on the shoulder and then kept wiping at the Indians logo and trying to take his jacket off. It just cracked me up because my friend was getting a little irritated. :devil:

buckshotrod
01-27-2006, 09:31 PM
I live in Lima and attended the one here at noon. All same folks here except for Mercker. It was scheduled for noon to 2 but they showed up shortly after 11:30 and was I glad we were there early. Had my pic taken with the Big Bopper, Marty, Narron, Denorfia, and Williams. Chatted for a bit with each one and man were these guys all (including May) very talkative and seemed like they really wanted to be there. First Caravan I ever attended and could kick myself in the butt for not going before. Thsi will be an every year deal for me from here on out. If you can make it...GO!

Red Hot Mama
01-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Hmmmm, great site but I noticed there is no link to Redszone!

A girl has to maintain some standards. :p:

KittyDuran
01-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Hmmmm, great site but I noticed there is no link to Redszone!The only fan links on RHM's site that I saw are blogs - so no RedsZone...:p:

TeamBoone
01-27-2006, 11:22 PM
The only fan links on RHM's site that I saw are blogs - so no RedsZone...:p:

Is that a rule? If so, make an exception :D , especially if it might mean the Reds people at the caravan might check out the site and then trickle down to Redszone.

KittyDuran
01-28-2006, 08:24 AM
Is that a rule? If so, make an exception :D , especially if it might mean the Reds people at the caravan might check out the site and then trickle down to Redszone.The Reds people SHOULD already know about RedsZone (ya know)...;)

Red Hot Mama
01-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Is that a rule? If so, make an exception :D , especially if it might mean the Reds people at the caravan might check out the site and then trickle down to Redszone.
It's not a rule. It wasn't even intentional. I just put up the list before I knew RZ existed and no one ever asked me to add it. I've been writing RHM for 10 months and this is the first time that I know of that anyone's mentioned it.

All y'all need a community outreach program or something. You know, donating your gently used statistics, giving scholarships to tomorrow's message board leaders, cleaning up litter to beautify the Reds cyber-community, and negotiating the addition of links to weblogs.

Sort of like an Optimists Club for RedsZone. There are some optimists around here, right? ;)

TeamBoone
01-28-2006, 10:45 AM
You crack me up, RHM!

KittyDuran
01-28-2006, 12:18 PM
and negotiating the addition of links to weblogs.
So what in a form of a bribe do you want? And make it reasonable - none of a "date with heartthrob outfielder" stuff...;)

Red Hot Mama
01-28-2006, 09:02 PM
So what in a form of a bribe do you want? And make it reasonable - none of a "date with heartthrob outfielder" stuff...;)
My demands are:
Naked pictures of Bea Arthur
A football helmet filled with cottage cheese
A giant baby bottle
67 copies of Moby Dick

For negotiations with other people, I like the idea of granting access to all the forums. Personally, I'm unlikely ever to leave the cozy company of my fellow RL! plebs anyway, so that's really not necessary.