NewEraReds
01-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Wayne Krivsky, Twins asst. GM
Jim Beattie, former Expos & Orioles GM
John Mozeliak, Cardinals asst. GM
Johnny Almaraz, Reds dir. of international scouting
Brad Kullman, Reds dir. of major league operations
Leland Maddox, Reds special assistant to the GM

we need young new blood. and they are not interviewing anyone who fits that criteria. very disspointed.

OnBaseMachine
01-27-2006, 08:44 PM
I wanted Antonetti. Damn.

Out of that list I prefer Kullman or Mozeliak.

Strikes Out Looking
01-27-2006, 08:50 PM
I don't think we'll ever know the complete list. Bob Cast. said if a candidate wanted confidentiality due to his current situation, they wouldn't release his name.

NewEraReds
01-27-2006, 08:52 PM
half the guys have been in the reds organization. thats exactly what we dont need

NewEraReds
01-27-2006, 08:55 PM
you gotta think he knew who we wanted before he came in. with that in mind, moz from st.l jumps out, since hes been with him

steig
01-27-2006, 09:05 PM
I would prefer somebody with an Oakland Billy Beane connection or somebody from the Angels organization.

Joseph
01-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Kim Ng was my wish of the moment. Sad she's not even being given an interview. I think Kullman is my choice from that list, though Krivsky is still an acceptable option for me as well.

CincyRedsFan30
01-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Unless Antonetti is being kept hidden for some reason, I don't think he'll be on the list. I think it likely has to do with him not desiring to interview as opposed to the team not wanting to give him a chance.

There will probably be two more names added next week though. I wouldn't be surprised if Hill is one of those added to the list.

I still am thinking Krivsky and Kullman are the leading candidates, but I would probably consider Mozeliak a darkhorse.

SteelSD
01-27-2006, 09:09 PM
I wanted Antonetti. Damn.

Out of that list I prefer Kullman or Mozeliak.

Ditto and ditto.

Unassisted
01-27-2006, 09:13 PM
We predicted 2 months ago that it was too much of a reach to expect someone with Castellini's pedigree to be progressive enough to plug in a baseball thinker who uses cutting-edge techniques at every turn. The man is closer to Carl Lindner's age than Billy Beane's and he probably bought the naming rights to the old-school.

Don't let the euphoria of getting rid of the old cloud your judgment of the new. DanO wasn't dumped for old thinking. He was dumped for slow and obtuse thinking. It's an important distinction.

BTW, I was the first to mention Mozeliak on the board and I stand by my prediction that he will get the job.

Unassisted
01-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Unless Antonetti is being kept hidden for some reason, I don't think he'll be on the list. I think it likely has to do with him not desiring to interview as opposed to the team not wanting to give him a chance.It was announced this afternoon that Antonetti withdrew from consideration.

CincyRedsFan30
01-27-2006, 09:19 PM
I'm not so sure we know that he withdrew or exactly what happened or didn't happen to begin with. I know the team said today that he won't get an interview but it is possible that he could not have wanted his name mentioned. I was just saying that I don't think that's the likely case. I think he did turn them down but I didn't want anyone hoping he would be on the list to think there was a good chance at all of him ending up on the list afterall.

TC81190
01-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Mozeliak, Kullman, and Krivsky...theres nothing wrong with any those guys.

Cyclone792
01-27-2006, 09:31 PM
I posted this same interview link in the ORG thread, but just in case some have missed it ...

http://www.thestlcardinals.com/INVMozeliakJohn.html

I don't know much about Mozeliak except for what's in that interview, but from the sounds of it he certainly doesn't seem like the worst candidate we could interview/hire, though there's a handful of guys not on the GM list I'd rather have. Still, I'd have to say that I'm much more comfortable with Mozeliak (or Kullman or Krivsky) than I would be with Beattie, Maddox or Almaraz.

Chip R
01-27-2006, 09:38 PM
half the guys have been in the reds organization. thats exactly what we dont need

It's a fair point. I worry about the guys within the organization being "tainted". Fresh blood is good. However we went outside the organization last time and look where that got us. :eek: I could live with any of them except for Beattie.

Heath
01-27-2006, 09:49 PM
I vote for Moz for GM.

I vote for Jim Beattie for Tim Naehring's job.

I vote for Johnny Alvarez to keep his job.

I vote Brad Kullman for Terry Reynolds job.

I vote Big Donkey for Rob Butchers' job.

Falls City Beer
01-27-2006, 09:56 PM
We predicted 2 months ago that it was too much of a reach to expect someone with Castellini's pedigree to be progressive enough to plug in a baseball thinker who uses cutting-edge techniques at every turn. The man is closer to Carl Lindner's age than Billy Beane's and he probably bought the naming rights to the old-school.

Don't let the euphoria of getting rid of the old cloud your judgment of the new. DanO wasn't dumped for old thinking. He was dumped for slow and obtuse thinking. It's an important distinction.

BTW, I was the first to mention Mozeliak on the board and I stand by my prediction that he will get the job.

I agree. And good call with Mozeliak.

Now someone clean up that celebration glitter.

Hunker down. This is going to take a while.

MikeS21
01-27-2006, 11:43 PM
I vote for Moz for GM.

I hope we're not counting on Moz or Beattie to build the farm system. The Cards and Orioles haven't been any more successful at drafting and developing talent than the Reds. Give me someone who knows how to hire a scouting department.

Krivsky might be the guy, but it worries me how many GM positions this guy has interviewed for and been passed over. And I hope he's learned something since his days in Texas as the minor league director. I don't recall Texas being all that successful at drafting and developing a farm system either.

Henry Clay
01-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Now someone clean up that celebration glitter.

Hunker down. This is going to take a while.

I agree completely with this sentiment. Whoever gets the job should not give an Oscar or Grammy speech at the opening press conference. The new GM can thank his wife, God, Castellini, or Walt Jocketty, but that's it. No 20 minute recitation of names.

I don't love this list of names, but the team would likely be well served by Krivsky or Mozeliak. Kullman did a decent job in limited duty in 2003. Maddox was on board at the same time, but I always hear Kullman given the credit for the 2003 firesale returns. The team doesn't have a DePodesta or Antonelli on the list, which bothers me. Of course, ownership's criteria may not include the new breed of GM and a heavy reliance on sabermetrics. I just wish they would give a clearer picture of what they are looking for heading into the process. The list doesn't tell me much.

MikeS21
01-28-2006, 12:26 AM
I'm sure I am being a little harsh in judging Mozeliak's credentials. I just hope he will bring some of the sabermetric evaluation with him should he get the job. I suspect that with Castellini's ties to the Cards, Mozeliak might have a pretty good shot.

I still would have preferred someone like DePodesta or Antonelli.

TeamBoone
01-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Castellini specifically mentioned that he wants someone familiar with sabermetrics.

KronoRed
01-28-2006, 03:02 AM
I vote for Moz for GM.

Heath for Narrons job :devil:

Royals Fan
01-28-2006, 07:33 AM
From the St Louis Papers this morning.

Cards' Mozeliak to interview with Reds
By Derrick Goold
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
01/27/2006

Dipping into the successful front office he knew as a minority owner with the Cardinals, Cincinnati's new chief executive officer, Bob Castellini, will interview John Mozeliak, Walt Jocketty's right-hand man, for the vacant Reds general manager position.

Mozeliak, the Cardinals' assistant general manager, was among a half dozen candidates the Reds officially acknowledged Friday. A Reds official confirmed Mozeliak's inclusion in the group, and Mozeliak said he expects to interview next week.

"I'm very flattered for this opportunity," Mozeliak said Friday evening. "It's an early part of the process, but it's also a unique opportunity, and it's a chance everyone in this business in my position is eager to get."

Mozeliak has been with the Cardinals since 1995, working in a variety of positions in baseball operations. In 2001, after years as assistant scouting director and scouting director, Mozeliak ascended to director of baseball operations. He moved into the assistant GM position two years later, and at the start of 2005 his responsibilities were expanded.Advertisement

While he has helped restock and mold the Cardinals' minor-league system, Mozeliak had in recent seasons become more focused on work concerning the major league club. He assisted Jocketty in player acquisitions, contracts and other aspects of baseball operations. He negotiated and finalized the contract pitcher Jason Marquis agreed to last week.

Castellini, a minority owner with the Cardinals until forming a group to buy controlling interest in the Reds, had the inside information on Mozeliak. On Monday, Castellini fired Reds general manager Dan O'Brien and candidates for his replacement started to be confirmed Thursday.

Minnesota assistant GM Wayne Krivsky was among the first acknowledged as a candidate. He has served as the Twins' assistant GM for seven years and had been considered a finalist for the Reds' position when O'Brien was hired. Three in-house candidates, including interim GM Brad Kullman, were confirmed to reporters Friday. Jim Beattie, former Montreal and Baltimore GM, was hired this week as a special adviser to Castellini, and he'll also expect to be considered for the GM position.

Mozeliak said the Reds' invitation to interview for the position was cemented Friday.

When asked if moving to a general manager position is the next logical step in his career, Mozeliak said: "I would think so. I would hope so. I've been groomed for a position at this level by having the chance to work with Walt Jocketty for as long as I've been here and by being able to have Bob Gebhard and (Cardinals vice president) Jerry Walker as mentors to help me prepare."

Heath
01-28-2006, 07:42 AM
Heath for Narrons job :devil:

Headline In Cincy Post

HEATH WHO?

It will be the only way EdE plays everyday.

Krono - you can be the 3b base coach :evil:

KronoRed
01-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Krono - you can be the 3b base coach :evil:
I will never windmill anyone :D

Raisor
01-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Castellini specifically mentioned that he wants someone familiar with sabermetrics.

That could mean anything. "Have you heard of "saermetrics"? Beatie: "Sure".

blah

MikeS21
01-28-2006, 09:37 AM

blah
One good mark in Mozeliak's favor IMO, is that he has worked closely with Jeff Luhnow, who is the Cards' sabermetrics guru. Mozeliak has used Luhnow's evaluations during the 2004 and 2005 drafts.

If you read the link that Cyclone792 posted earlier in this thread (link to John Mozeliak interview), Mozeliak is specifically asked about sabermetrics:

Q: Speaking of tools, last winter’s high profile addition to the front office was the hiring of Jeff Luhnow and the establishment of the sabermetric view of the game. How is that meshing with your more traditional methods of evaluation?

A: I think it is going very well. Obviously, for what I did this year in the draft, I leaned heavily on Jeff and his staff. That’s the nature of how we set this whole thing up. In terms of the draft, I realize that when you go totally off scouting reports, then you’ve opened yourself up to such a subjective scenario of results. The one thing that I wanted to do is validate what we do. That’s where his staff was just invaluable. I think it’s a great direction we’re moving in. I think as far as the draft goes, I think it is something that we will replicate for next year. I think both Jeff and I feel there are some things we can tweak on to make it that much better. And that is actually kind of why I am here now.

Q: What do you mean?

A: I’ve always in the past gone to our rookie clubs and taken a look at our players, but I’m really looking at it this year in terms of “Well, what did our scouts truly see versus what did I see?” And, clearly you have to take into account the fatigue factor in the first year of professional baseball and the higher competition and all that. But, for this system to work that we’ve put in place, one thing that we’re going to have to make sure that we’ve accomplished is to ensure that all the scouts are completely on one page. And that they understand how we view tools in baseball. I mean traditional tools; arm strength, running speed, power, bat and all that. We have to all be in agreement on what that means. So, I’ll spend most of my summer validating that and then hopefully in this off-season, be able to spend three or four days with our scouts and try to let them know what I found on that.
If he brings this kind of philosophy here and follows through with it, that would be a good thing.

TeamBoone
01-28-2006, 10:53 AM

blah

I doubt that. He's not stupid.

TeamBoone
01-28-2006, 10:54 AM
01/27/2006 10:19 PM ET

Reds reveal list of GM candidates
Names include four from inside the Cincinnati organization
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- A list of six candidates that will interview for the vacant Reds general manager's job was revealed Friday.

In contention are a number of people from inside the organization, including interim GM and baseball operations director Brad Kullman, director of international scouting Johnny Almaraz, special assistant to the GM Leland Maddox, and special advisor Jim Beattie.

Cardinals assistant GM John Mozeliak joined Twins assistant GM Wayne Krivsky as a candidate from outside the organization. Krivsky's name was announced Thursday.

"As I look at this, there are many different parallels between St. Louis and Cincinnati," Mozeliak said by phone from St. Louis Friday night. "First and foremost, I'm flattered to be considered."

The club could reveal a few more contenders on Monday. Interviews are scheduled to begin next week, with the process of selection taking up to four weeks.

All are trying to be the one that replaces former GM Dan O'Brien, who was dismissed Monday after two seasons on the job in new owner/chief executive officer Bob Castellini's first major decision.

Kullman, who was given the job on an interim basis Monday, is a 12-year veteran of the Reds organization and worked as an assistant GM to former GM Jim Bowden from 2002-03. After Bowden was dismissed in July 2003, Kullman and Maddox served as co-interim GMs and ran the baseball operations together.

Maddox has spent 17 years in pro baseball, eight with the Reds. He served as director of scouting for two seasons and became a special assistant to the GM in late 2003.

Almaraz has been part of the Cincinnati organization in some capacity for 16 years and became director of international scouting in 2003 after he developed Latin American academies in the Dominican Republic and Venezuela. He is also responsible for signing current Reds players Adam Dunn and Jason LaRue.

Beattie was brought in on Tuesday by Castellini to evaluate the organization's pitching program from top to bottom. He held the GM job with the Expos from 1995-2001, and was a co-GM and executive vice president with the Orioles from 2003-05 before being relieved of his duties.

"I'd know we're both straight-shooters," Beattie said of his and Castellini's style of managing earlier this week. "He knows what he wants to do."

Krivsky, who lost out on the job to O'Brien in 2003, has been Minnesota's assistant GM since 1994. He's that organization's top National League scout as well.

"It's a different owner and a different time, but I'm just flattered they want to talk again," Krivsky said Thursday.

Castellini and partners Joe and Tom Williams were minority partners in the Cardinals from 1996 until they bought the Reds. They are already acquainted with Mozeliak, who joined the St. Louis organization in 1995 and previously worked for the Rockies.

Working under longtime Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty, the 37-year-old Mozeliak became director of baseball operations in 2001, and added scouting director to his current title after the 2003 season.

"I'd like to think I recognize relationships and allow people to do their jobs," Mozeliak said of his management style. "We determine a strategy and stick to it, and then maintain a structure to be successful."

Whoever gets the job will have a unique situation to begin with. The opening of Spring Training is less than three weeks away.

"It's different that you're entering a season that's already starting, and the offseason has gone by," said Mozeliak, whose wife hails from Cincinnati. "You look for opportunities to improve, and you have to be creative."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060127&content_id=1302379&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Unassisted
01-28-2006, 11:04 AM
"said Mozeliak, whose wife hails from Cincinnati."

This ups the ante for Mozeliak. Don't underestimate the value of local ties to justify hiring from outside. I'm even more convinced now that he will get the job.

ochre
01-28-2006, 11:10 AM
I hope we're not counting on Moz or Beattie to build the farm system. The Cards and Orioles haven't been any more successful at drafting and developing talent than the Reds. Give me someone who knows how to hire a scouting department.

Krivsky might be the guy, but it worries me how many GM positions this guy has interviewed for and been passed over. And I hope he's learned something since his days in Texas as the minor league director. I don't recall Texas being all that successful at drafting and developing a farm system either.
That's somewhat misleading about the cards. I don't care if our system doesn't replenish our major league team, if it can be used to acquire proven major league talent. Your point on the Os would seem to be legit though :).

NewEraReds
01-28-2006, 02:14 PM
if we have a big league club that resembles the talent that stl has, who cares if our minors arent any better than theirs :) i want to WIN on the FIELD not on BASEBALL AMERICA website

Unassisted
01-28-2006, 03:54 PM
i want to WIN on the FIELD not on BASEBALL AMERICA websiteWhat makes you think the two are mutually exclusive? Do you not agree that having a well-stocked minor league program is the best way for the Reds to achieve lasting success? Or would you prefer that the owners just open their wallets wider every year to snatch up the hottest free agents? The more time you spend at RedsZone, the better you'll understand that the second path is never going to happen in Cincinnati.

MikeS21
01-28-2006, 04:33 PM
What makes you think the two are mutually exclusive? Do you not agree that having a well-stocked minor league program is the best way for the Reds to achieve lasting success? Or would you prefer that the owners just open their wallets wider every year to snatch up the hottest free agents? The more time you spend at RedsZone, the better you'll understand that the second path is never going to happen in Cincinnati.
Nor should it happen.

Part of the what makes baseball different from the NBA and NFL is when an organization can draft players, develop them, and then bring them up to the major leagues. Personally, I would quickly lose interest if the Reds made the FA market and trades their primary source of talent - even if they are winning. Its the building of the organization through the farm system that excites me.

I have always subscribed to the philosophy that you build your major league team through your farm sytem, and then use FA and trades to plug holes.

NewEraReds
01-28-2006, 04:33 PM
What makes you think the two are mutually exclusive? Do you not agree that having a well-stocked minor league program is the best way for the Reds to achieve lasting success? Or would you prefer that the owners just open their wallets wider every year to snatch up the hottest free agents? The more time you spend at RedsZone, the better you'll understand that the second path is never going to happen in Cincinnati.
what makes you think i said they were

NewEraReds
01-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Nor should it happen.

Part of the what makes baseball different from the NBA and NFL is when an organization can draft players, develop them, and then bring them up to the major leagues. Personally, I would quickly lose interest if the Reds made the FA market and trades their primary source of talent - even if they are winning. Its the building of the organization through the farm system that excites me.

I have always subscribed to the philosophy that you build your major league team through your farm sytem, and then use FA and trades to plug holes.
so, by that, you would no longer follow the team if they were winning world series but not having great minor leaguers? sure wont miss you man

vaticanplum
01-28-2006, 04:42 PM
I posted this same interview link in the ORG thread, but just in case some have missed it ...

http://www.thestlcardinals.com/INVMozeliakJohn.html

Thanks for this. I am actually pretty impressed with him from what he says. I know that the Cards' farm system has been rumored to be going downhill, but it sounds like he has a pretty terrific attitude toward scouting. Very intelligent -- taking in every factor possible to build up an informed decision. I don't like to hear stuff about "gut decisions" in interviews. It's something I believe in strongly in life and in baseball, but that's a vague, eleventh-hour thing. And as far as I can tell Dan O'Brien has been making gut decisions for the Reds throughout his entire tenure, because logic certainly didn't play a part. this is more what the team needs.

Mozeliak also spoke briefly about having a financial background, which says to me that he's good with money and probably respects numbers in general. I like this attribute in my politicians and my GMs of mid-market baseball teams.

Krivsky is a good choice, obviously, but I would be happy with Kullman too. I don't necessarily buy the "we need new blood" argument in and of itself. We have new ownership blood and we have expelled what I thought was truly the bad blood in O'Brien. I'm guessing that Kullman, along with many others in the Reds' front office, was pretty unhappy with that bad blood as well. Someone coming in from the outside may be ignorant to things that have traditionally held the Reds back and thus less likely to view them as setbacks, that's true, but he would also be less likely to know instinctively how to deal with the team and the office which can also slow things down. Beattie, for example, is an experienced GM from another team, but he's a wholly crappy choice in my opinion. I think the best fit is the best fit, regardless of where it comes from.

NewEraReds
01-28-2006, 04:46 PM
vat - i think beattie is the worst option out there, by far. i think moz and kullman are 1 and 2. krivsky 3. the other reds all at 4. beattie at 1000 :)

TeamBoone
01-28-2006, 07:01 PM
The only team that can afford not to have a good farm system and yet still win is the Yankees.

Unassisted
01-28-2006, 07:13 PM
what makes you think i said they were I think it was "if we have a big league club that resembles the talent that stl has, who cares if our minors arent any better than theirs" that made me think you believe a well-stocked minor league program is not a path to success.

MikeS21
01-28-2006, 11:11 PM
so, by that, you would no longer follow the team if they were winning world series but not having great minor leaguers? sure wont miss you man
IMO, the 1990 Reds were sweet to watch because of the homegrown guys like Larkin, Davis, Sabo, O'Neill, Oester, Dibble, and Browning.

Part of the fun of baseball is watching these guys come up through the minor league system and ultimately perform at the major league level. Most Adam Dunn fans started as Adam Dunn fans before he ever stepped foot in Cincy. The same with Kearns fans.

As I said, my philosophy is that you build your major league team from your farm system and use FA and trades to plug the holes. The less FA's and trade acquisitions you have to use, the better. But, having said that, in order to get quality acquisitions in trade, you need quality chips to trade - hence the need for a strong farm system.

MattyHo4Life
01-28-2006, 11:38 PM
IMO, the 1990 Reds were sweet to watch because of the homegrown guys like Larkin, Davis, Sabo, O'Neill, Oester, Dibble, and Browning.

Part of the fun of baseball is watching these guys come up through the minor league system and ultimately perform at the major league level. Most Adam Dunn fans started as Adam Dunn fans before he ever stepped foot in Cincy. The same with Kearns fans.

As I said, my philosophy is that you build your major league team from your farm system and use FA and trades to plug the holes. The less FA's and trade acquisitions you have to use, the better. But, having said that, in order to get quality acquisitions in trade, you need quality chips to trade - hence the need for a strong farm system.

The Reds had a ton of good players coming through the farm system in the mid to late eighties. That just doesn't happen much. So pmany top prospects flop before they ever come to the Majors.

Jpup
01-29-2006, 05:12 AM
The only team that can afford not to have a good farm system and yet still win is the Yankees.

Boston and the New York Mets.;)