PDA

View Full Version : Would you want Erubiel Durazo?

savafan
01-30-2006, 01:30 PM
He could provide some pop off of the bench, I know reports on his defense aren't sparkling, but he could also be used at first base if one of the outfielders is traded and Dunn is moved back to the outfield. I hear that Durazo's, who is coming off an injury, price has significantly fallen. He has good plate discipline when healthy. Thoughts?

westofyou
01-30-2006, 01:34 PM
I know reports on his defense aren't sparkling, but he could also be used at first base if one of the outfielders is traded

He's not an outfielder and he's only played 38 games at 1st since 2002 ended.

He's the WMP of 1st baseman with no possibility of improvement.

Neo
01-30-2006, 01:56 PM
I think he would be a nice addition to this ballclub, wouldn't it be a shame if they had to let Womack go to create a spot for him?

Red Leader
01-30-2006, 02:01 PM
He's not a bad gamble for an AL team that can "spot DH" him. He would not be a good sign for a NL team, IMO

KronoRed
01-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Only if we move to the AL

ED44
01-30-2006, 02:19 PM
I would prefer Travis Lee...maybe not as good a bat, but much better defensively. Has he signed/re-signed? Anyone know?

Nugget
01-30-2006, 05:38 PM
He has been one of the failures that Beane has had with Oakland. They had been chasing him for years and when they finally got him from the Diamondbacks he stunk. His numbers were great but unfortunately he couldn't replicate the numbers in Oakland and was never a first team choice at the Diamondbacks.

Heath
01-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Do I want Erubiel Durazo? For what? Opening a Mexican Restaraunt-Sure.

For an Reds Bench player? - Nah.

I'd rather have Hee Sop Choi. If there was a third option, I'd take that too.

vic715
01-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Has Tino signed anywhere yet? He might come cheap and would be a great backup 1B and lefty pinch hitter.

westofyou
01-30-2006, 06:33 PM
He has been one of the failures that Beane has had with Oakland..919 OPS in 2004, .804 in 2003, only a 152 ab's last year

Not really a failure at all.

But not much of a player, more of a hitter.

In fact only Reds with an OPS higher than his since 2003 is Dunn and Junior.

RedsManRick
01-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Durazo didn't exactly stink -- he just wasn't the clean-up guy they'd hope he'd be and had some injury issues. But where's John Ford-Griffin these days anyways...?

captainmorgan07
01-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Not at all definately no to many injuries

Nugget
01-30-2006, 07:11 PM
.919 OPS in 2004, .804 in 2003, only a 152 ab's last year

Not really a failure at all.

But not much of a player, more of a hitter.

In fact only Reds with an OPS higher than his since 2003 is Dunn and Junior.

A failure means that he did not perform perform the job as expected. Much like Milton last year. Durazo was brought in at 1B with much fanfare. Unfortunately for the A's they have struggled with him there.

westofyou
01-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Durazo was brought in at 1B with much fanfare. Unfortunately for the A's they have struggled with him there.

No, he was brought in to be the DH, Hattenberg is the 1st baseman.

A's are 275-211 with a .566 winning percentage, 5th in all of MLB since 2003.

Oh to struggle like that.

StillFunkyB
01-30-2006, 07:49 PM
In a word, no.

iaredsfan
01-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Only if we reserved a hospitable bed first -- seems to constantly be injured.

buckeyenut
01-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Given the fact that we don't have a LH bat off the bench other than cruz, or a backup 1B, yes I would take him and go with four OF being Jr, Pena, Kearns, Deforina with Dunn at 1B and Freel 2B both being able to go out there.

Remember, if we don't have a guy like Durazo, we will go north with a guy like cruz on the ML roster most likely.

I think given that role, his injury history should not be a big concern.

Nugget
01-30-2006, 08:04 PM
I would prefer Cruz to Durazo - not as much pop but does give you other options as Durazo would only be a pinch hitter - no double switch options or stuff which you need in the NL. If the REDS were an AL team then yes I think we could carry a pure hitter. The other option is to see how Rob Stratton goes in ST or even extended ST. Valentin is a left handed bat.

cincinnati chili
01-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Durazo didn't exactly stink -- he just wasn't the clean-up guy they'd hope he'd be and had some injury issues. But where's John Ford-Griffin these days anyways...?

Disagree. Strongly.

I think in 2004 he was everything they dreamed he'd be. 2003 he was pretty good. Last year he was hurt.

Let's not forget, the player the traded away to get him was Jason Arnold (http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/baseball/player.cgi?3310).

This was a steal by Beane.

Up to this point, Durazo has been the best player in that 4-team trade... and that includes Felipe until Felipe has a second productive year (which I think he will... but he hasn't done yeat.

Heath
01-30-2006, 11:15 PM
But where's John Ford-Griffin these days anyways...?

Isn't he still on tour with English Dan??? :dunno: ;)

buckeyenut
01-30-2006, 11:24 PM
I would prefer Cruz to Durazo - not as much pop but does give you other options as Durazo would only be a pinch hitter - no double switch options or stuff which you need in the NL. If the REDS were an AL team then yes I think we could carry a pure hitter. The other option is to see how Rob Stratton goes in ST or even extended ST. Valentin is a left handed bat.Cruz is Tony Womack for the OF. And he can't play OF all that well due to his legs, so what is the point?

Besides, when you need to double switch, you move dunn to LF and Durazo to 1B. With Dunn and Freel around, it gives you so many options on a double switch it is not funny. Pending injury somewhere, the only positions those two can't cover on a double switch is SS and C. So what is the issue?

If you prefer Cruz to Durazo, I don't think you truly understand the value of the offense Durazo historically has provided.

Nugget
01-31-2006, 12:02 AM
Durazo is meant to be a liability for that A's at 1B. One of the reasons he was shunted out there by the Diamonbacks is that on an NL team they needed someone with better skills at fielding than Durazo.

All I'm saying is that if your looking at Durazo its one dimensional and for someone who is not going to push for a starting position, you need to look for more than just pop. Cruz isn't the best option on the bench but out of the two and for balance I would go for Cruz. It would do nothing for a fantasy team but on balance its better for the team.

Topcat
01-31-2006, 02:50 AM
He's not an outfielder and he's only played 38 games at 1st since 2002 ended.

He's the WMP of 1st baseman with no possibility of improvement.

Perfect analysis WOY, and to further add to it. If Dunns playing 1b then there is no need to even look for anyone else there.

savafan
01-31-2006, 09:08 AM
definately no to many injuries

I've been saying that since about 1996, but the injuries don't listen.

savafan
01-31-2006, 09:10 AM
Only if we reserved a hospitable bed first

Where does one find a hospitable bed? Mine treats me like crap. ;)

dougflynn23
01-31-2006, 09:59 AM
:confused: Why do names such as Durazo, Travis Lee, and Tino Martinez keep popping up as potential backup 1B when our starting 1B......

a) plays 160 games a season?
b) is a LH hitter ?

With the Reds carrying at most a 5 man bench, bench players who can only play one position and duplicate what the starter offers (LH bat) are not where the Reds should be searching. I would imagine that Rich Aurilia will be getting plenty of work at 1B in Sarasota, and that Rob Stratton will get some reps there in case of emergency.

ED44
01-31-2006, 10:23 AM
:confused: Why do names such as Durazo, Travis Lee, and Tino Martinez keep popping up as potential backup 1B when our starting 1B......

a) plays 160 games a season?
b) is a LH hitter ?

With the Reds carrying at most a 5 man bench, bench players who can only play one position and duplicate what the starter offers (LH bat) are not where the Reds should be searching. I would imagine that Rich Aurilia will be getting plenty of work at 1B in Sarasota, and that Rob Stratton will get some reps there in case of emergency.

I think it comes from the fact that most feel either Wily Mo or AK will be gone by, at the latest, mid-season...probably sooner than that. Dunn is an OF and has said he would rather be in the OF. If we plan on keeping him long-term, I think his position played will be of importance and the Reds will need to accomodate. Add to that, he isn't (although he could be) a very good defensive 1B, and I think it's easy to see the need for, at least, a back-up 1B.

I have a feeling we will be seeing enough of Rich at 2B & 3B...so, PLEASE don't make us watch him play 1B too. I would love to see Stratton get some ABs, but I am not sure what kind of defense he plays in the OF or 1B.

Durazo doesn't draw much interest from me (he stays on hurt and can't play D), but a Travis Lee does because he is a good defender and a decent LH bat. He would be a good late inning replacement and a nice bat off the bench...plus, if if any OF is traded he could hold down 1B somewhat. I think his #'s could go up considering the lineup around him. He could also play some OF if needed...albeit, not very good.

RedsManRick
01-31-2006, 11:29 AM
Given that most of our IF fielding problems are throwing errors (complete anecdotally based assertion), having a gold glove defender at 1B who may not wow with the bat sound sounds like a decent idea. In fact, the more I look at it, I think Lee would be a very good option for that last bench spot. We don't need another guy who can play the OF, but a lefty PH who can play Gold Glove defense at 1B or take over for a year or two until Votto is ready sounds like a good idea.

Lee at 1-2MM would be a very solid addition.

KronoRed
01-31-2006, 11:30 AM
Where does one find a hospitable bed? Mine treats me like crap. ;)
Dump it..better ones in the sea