PDA

View Full Version : James Avery: Starter?

Superdude
01-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Why do I keep hearing about how Avery has a future as a reliever? He's got a 93-94 MPH fastball and two other solid pitches in his curveball and change. What's the deal and how did somebody with his stuff slip so far in the draft?

Big Donkey
01-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Avery was having problems getting his visa cleared (he's Canadian) last summer, and I know that contributed to his stock dropping somewhat in the draft... the only other thing I recall off the top of my head from covering last year's draft, was, at the time at least, it was thought that he had a good fastball but not much for secondary pitches. Perhaps he's on his way to improving that now.

Topcat
01-31-2006, 02:53 AM
Hey any Canuck who is progressing well as a ball player I am most defintly pulling for him :thumbup:

deltachi8
01-31-2006, 10:43 AM
and a Niagara University dude as well (25 minutes from here)...

Superdude
01-31-2006, 07:00 PM
<<<<<<<<it was thought that he had a good fastball but not much for secondary pitches. Perhaps he's on his way to improving that now.>>>>>>>>>

Really? From my view, his draft video and what I saw of him in Dayton, he shows a nice curve and changeup.

BoydsOfSummer
02-01-2006, 07:14 AM
John Sickels take:

James Avery was selected in the fifht round last June, from Niagra University. He throws fairly hard, his fastball reaching 94 mph at times, but his slider is below average and he occasionally has problems with command. He's rather raw as college pitchers go, although he pitched reasonably well in his pro debut. At this point, Avery is basically an arm with potential. He needs to improve his slider to mkae his arm strength maeningful. Grade C

Superdude
02-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Avery doesn't even have a slider.

Red Leader
02-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Avery doesn't even have a slider.

Well, I guess that's why it's below average. ;)

KronoRed
02-02-2006, 02:47 PM
I wonder what way below counts as?

the anti-slider? :D