PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Weaver

redleg32
02-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Why is Jeff Weaver still unsigned? Is he worth signing for one year and flipping at the trade deadline? He is going for a big contract so it looks like to me that he would be at his very best. Also, why is Billy Traber still out there? Is he worth a flyer? Just wondering!

wheels
02-01-2006, 08:19 PM
I think I read somewhere that Billy Traber got plucked up by someone...

As for Weaver, emphatically no.

captainmorgan07
02-01-2006, 09:06 PM
No NO NO on jeff weaver

KronoRed
02-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Weaver = Milton pt.2

BEETTLEBUG
02-01-2006, 09:37 PM
I am starting to think Weaver might not be to bad like some one said for half year if he is trying to better himself he might bare down more to show he needs a bigger contract.

redleg32
02-01-2006, 10:23 PM
My main question about Weaver is, does he have an attitude problem or is he hurt? It just looks like to me that some overspending club would have him on the payroll already.

Heath
02-01-2006, 10:55 PM
My main question about Weaver is, does he have an attitude problem or is he hurt? It just looks like to me that some overspending club would have him on the payroll already.

His representation isn't high on the list either.

Redsland
02-01-2006, 11:08 PM
My main question about Weaver is, does he have an attitude problem or is he hurt?
Yes, he has an attitude problem. He also has displayed more "potential" than "results." His NY tour showed him to cave under pressure, and he ended up getting famously demoted to the pen and then off the post-season roster. Then there's the small matter of his agent, Scott Boras.

Mario-Rijo
02-02-2006, 07:38 PM
I posted this earlier on another thread but it fits much better here!

Weaver beyond Reds' means
Feb 1 - Reds interim GM Brad Kullman and agent Scott Boras were discussing the contract status of Cincinnati shortstop Felipe Lopez earlier this week when the conversation briefly turned to another Boras client, free-agent pitcher Jeff Weaver.
Although the Reds could have interest in Weaver on a reasonably-priced one-year deal, they've been given indications that Weaver is well beyond their price range. "I don't see it happening at this point," Kullman told ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick.

The Reds have been mentioned as a potential Weaver suitor under the theory that new owner Robert Castellini might want to make a splash with a quick high-profile signing. But Weaver gave up 35 homers for the Dodgers in 2005, and the Reds have their doubts that his repertoire will translate well to the Great American Ball Park.

Weaver's destination remains a mystery to major-league executives. He declined the Dodgers' offer of salary arbitration, which would have allowed him to return to Los Angeles on a one-year deal in 2006.

MattyHo4Life
02-03-2006, 10:21 AM
http://www.latimes.com/services/site/premium/access-registered.intercept

The St. Louis Cardinals and New York Mets also are believed to be interested in Weaver, but the Simi Valley native's desire to remain in Southern California could give the Angels the edge.

This is a quote from a LA Times article. I really hope the Cardinals don't sign Weaver, there is no room for him in the rotation, and he's not worth whatever he is demanding.

TeamSelig
02-03-2006, 10:26 AM
I'd probably throw a 1 yr 5 million contract at him. Probably wouldn't take that, but thats what I'd give him. If he has a decent first half I think you would be able to pick up a pretty decent prospect for him.

MattyHo4Life
02-03-2006, 11:17 AM
I'd probably throw a 1 yr 5 million contract at him. Probably wouldn't take that, but thats what I'd give him. If he has a decent first half I think you would be able to pick up a pretty decent prospect for him.

I don't think he would take that deal either. If he did, you can count on Boras putting a stipulation in the contract where the team cannot trade him and cannot offer him arbitration in order to get a free draft pick.

Hoosier Red
02-03-2006, 01:22 PM
I don't think he would take that deal either. If he did, you can count on Boras putting a stipulation in the contract where the team cannot trade him and cannot offer him arbitration in order to get a free draft pick.

Why would Boras put in a stip that he can't be traded? That has no benefit for the player. I can see a stip about not being able to be offered arbitration, that would hurt his leverage next year, but what would be the advantage to pitching for a bad team all year.

alex trevino
02-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Weaver has a strange motion. I want no part of him.

TeamSelig
02-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Now that I think about it more, I'd still only give him 5M for one year, but give him a chance to make 3 more. 500k for 200IP+, 1M for ERA under 4.50, 1M for a certain amount of K's (i'm not really sure what a mediocre amount of Ks are so I can't put a number but something above average), 500k if he's traded. Maybe something like that.

So basically, he has a good season, he ends up making 8 million which is probably something he is looking for, if not, he makes 5 million which isn't bad considering no one really wants him.

Hondo
02-06-2006, 09:52 PM

Then Boras is gonna want to know when they will Recieve the other half of there Contract...

Weaver is a Righthanded Milton....But maybe if Kullman signs him, he can then in turn trade Milton and Weaver for Manny???

Makes perfect sense now!!!

JaredRoberts.com

LoganBuck
02-07-2006, 07:08 AM
Then Boras is gonna want to know when they will Recieve the other half of there Contract...

Weaver is a Righthanded Milton....But maybe if Kullman signs him, he can then in turn trade Milton and Weaver for Manny???

Makes perfect sense now!!!

JaredRoberts.com

Either that or they get them an oversize uniform to share and claim that they are conjoined twins.

MattyHo4Life
02-08-2006, 06:07 AM
Why would Boras put in a stip that he can't be traded? That has no benefit for the player. I can see a stip about not being able to be offered arbitration, that would hurt his leverage next year, but what would be the advantage to pitching for a bad team all year.

A lot of players demand no trade clauses in their contracts. If for nothing else to be used as a bargaining chip. Perhaps it would be a stipulation that would allow him to be traded, but a trade would kick in an extension or millions of dollars of incentives automatically, This is Boras we're talking about.