PDA

View Full Version : More on Sweet Lou...

Matt700wlw
02-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Tampa Tribune

Early last November, Piniella was invited to Cincinnati to meet with new Reds owner Bob Castellini, who offered him a job as special adviser. That's the official version, anyway. Truth is, Castellini wants Piniella to join the Reds so much, Lou could have been named manager if he had wanted to.
He didn't.

"I could have gone to a few places," Piniella said. "I just wasn't ready though. I need to get the cobwebs out, get hungry again. I won't manage again just for the sake of managing, and I'll tell you right now, the only teams interested in hiring me in the future will be those interested in winning."

redsfan4445
02-03-2006, 04:27 PM
I see Lou here either midway during the season or 2007.. just a gut feeling!

RedRoser
02-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Castellini note to self: I must SHOW Lou Piniella that I'm interested in winning!

RedsFans notes to selves: YES, there IS a baseball god and he just may be FINALLY deciding to smile upon the Cincinnati Reds!

max venable
02-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Castellini is a smart cookie. If Lou had said, "yes" it would have been huge. If a guy wants to show Redsnation that he's serious about winning, bringing Lou back would send the message (and increase ticket sales).

I hope Lou comes back. I kinda think he will.

Too bad for Narron. I'm sure he'll end up feeling like a lame duck (if he doesn't already).

Reds4Life
02-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Piniella will be the Reds manager by opening day 2007 at the latest.

The only way I don't see it happening is if Torre resigns, gets fired, retires or whatever and Lou goes to manage the Yankees.

top6
02-03-2006, 06:02 PM
There is really no good reason that anyone else should have been managing the Reds these past 15 years.

Still not sure if bringing him back changes much, but it can't hurt.

RedsManRick
02-03-2006, 06:27 PM
I can see the meeting summary now...

"Well guys, as we're not interested in winning, I guess there's no reason to approach Mr. Pinella about the opening we have at the manager position. Do you have anybody on your list who just wants to make people feel good?"

"Actually sir, Dusty Baker might soon be available..."

buckshotrod
02-03-2006, 07:51 PM
You know what guys, I really don't see the neccessity of bringing him back for now. Narron had the team playing pretty well compared to Miley. If the new ownership gives Narron the guys he needs, then he will do well. Don't get me wrong, I like Sweet Lou, but we can't continue to play musical managers. If the team does not play well this year, then I am all for it. If it does continue to improve, then I say leave Narron and let Lou be Castellini's assistant.

Slyder
02-03-2006, 08:42 PM
There is really no good reason that anyone else should have been managing the Reds these past 15 years.

Still not sure if bringing him back changes much, but it can't hurt.

It changes a lot of things. He will not tolerating incompentance
and put a fire in the players that we havent seen since... well... Lou was managing. Just look at Tampa Bay the pitching staff blew but you never saw them quit they went out there and poured their heart into it because their manager did. When was the last time you saw Dave Miley or anyone else we had manage be able to do that?

Slyder
02-03-2006, 08:49 PM
You know what guys, I really don't see the neccessity of bringing him back for now. Narron had the team playing pretty well compared to Miley. If the new ownership gives Narron the guys he needs, then he will do well. Don't get me wrong, I like Sweet Lou, but we can't continue to play musical managers. If the team does not play well this year, then I am all for it. If it does continue to improve, then I say leave Narron and let Lou be Castellini's assistant.

How much of it was Ruhle though? Weve gone over the numbers and the pitching improved when Ruhle became the pitching coach. We all said at the start of last year we could go places with our offense if the pitching could be even average.

KronoRed
02-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Lou might have quite a few jobs open, we might not be a top choice for him

Team Clark
02-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Lou can not manage again until 2007 per his buyout agreement.

Henry Clay
02-03-2006, 11:54 PM
I love Piniella and what he did in 1990, but the team should not go back to the well just for the sake of nostalgia. The team on the field matters far more than the field manager. Unless Castellini and Co. plan to invest in the product on the field, especially the guys who play in the middle of the diamond on the little mound of dirt, I don't see much utility in a high-priced manager, even if he did once pound on Rob Dibble.

Little Alex
02-04-2006, 07:25 AM
Much success in life (in and out of baseball) is dependent on being able to seperate the real from the bull****. For example:

The bull**** answer:

"I could have gone to a few places," Piniella said. "I just wasn't ready though. I need to get the cobwebs out, get hungry again. I won't manage again just for the sake of managing, and I'll tell you right now, the only teams interested in hiring me in the future will be those interested in winning."

The real answer:

:D

MattyHo4Life
02-04-2006, 07:57 AM
I love Piniella and what he did in 1990, but the team should not go back to the well just for the sake of nostalgia. The team on the field matters far more than the field manager. Unless Castellini and Co. plan to invest in the product on the field, especially the guys who play in the middle of the diamond on the little mound of dirt, I don't see much utility in a high-priced manager, even if he did once pound on Rob Dibble.

Hiring Lou Pinella would be a send a big message to the players and the fans that the new ownership isn't just more of the same. Is that all that needs to be done? Of course not, but it would be a great place to start.This is how the Cardinals began rebuilding in the mid 90's. Walt Jocketty was hired as GM, and one of his first moves was to hire a well known manager, Tony Larussa. Nobody is saying that you hire a new manager and everything is magically fixed, but it does send a message that the future is brighter. I think that's all fans need to start coming back. Fans just need to know that the owners care about winning. Hiring Lou Pinella would show just that.

Chip R
02-04-2006, 08:23 AM

I heard that he was free to take a job but that the other team had to pick up his salary.

creek14
02-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Hiring Lou Pinella would be a send a big message to the players and the fans that the new ownership isn't just more of the same. Is that all that needs to be done? Of course not, but it would be a great place to start.This is how the Cardinals began rebuilding in the mid 90's. Walt Jocketty was hired as GM, and one of his first moves was to hire a well known manager, Tony Larussa. Nobody is saying that you hire a new manager and everything is magically fixed, but it does send a message that the future is brighter. I think that's all fans need to start coming back. Fans just need to know that the owners care about winning. Hiring Lou Pinella would show just that.
I have to agree with Henry. To me, hiring Lou would just show me that RCast is willing to spend a lot of money on a manager. I would much rather see the Reds do a good job of looking for the right manager for the team. If that's Lou, then great. But don't just hand him the job just cause he's Lou.

Krusty
02-04-2006, 09:01 AM
And what happens to Narron if for some reason this team finishes .500 or better?

KronoRed
02-04-2006, 09:08 AM
And what happens to Narron if for some reason this team finishes .500 or better?
I'm sure they would bring him back.

But I doubt we get close to .500

MattyHo4Life
02-04-2006, 09:59 AM
I would much rather see the Reds do a good job of looking for the right manager for the team.

That's exactly my point. Where I disagreed with Henry is this...

The team on the field matters far more than the field manager. Unless Castellini and Co. plan to invest in the product on the field, especially the guys who play in the middle of the diamond on the little mound of dirt, I don't see much utility in a high-priced manager, even if he did once pound on Rob Dibble.

Of course the upgrading the pitching is very important for the Reds, but finding the right manager is a good place to start. If that's Lou, then I don't see a problem with hiring him.

Henry Clay
02-04-2006, 03:18 PM
That's exactly my point. Where I disagreed with Henry is this...

Of course the upgrading the pitching is very important for the Reds, but finding the right manager is a good place to start. If that's Lou, then I don't see a problem with hiring him.

I don't think we are that far apart. Nevertheless, I stand by my point. Unless management is willing to spend in the right areas to improve the team, namely the horrible pitching, a big name manager won't make much of a difference, except in ticket sales. As Tampa Bay demonstrated, even Piniella needs players. If the team commits to better pitching, player development strategies, and a competitive payroll, I have no problem with a big name manager to turn things around. At the same time, I wouldn't need a big name guy. Wedge is doing fine in Cleveland, and I never heard of him before a few years ago. The same thing went for an unknown name like Sparky who came to the Reds thirty five years ago. I think the manager needs to fit the team. In that respect, I think Creek may be far closer to the right answer than I was in my original post.

buckshotrod
02-04-2006, 04:48 PM
But I doubt we get close to .500

I must be an idiot for thinking this but I think they will be over .500 this year. I believe Harang continues to improve. Claussen's ERA was right at 3.00 in Aug/Sept. I also believe Williams will be a winner. As far as the last 2 spots go, if Milton was really injured last year and he can at least get his ERA in the 4s, they guy can win some games with our offense. His last 2 starts were very good. The fifth starter is a question mark for me. Offensively we will be better, trust me. I think the bullpen will be a big key..some guys need to step up.

How much over .500, I hate to say but I truly believe this will be one interesting year.

Back to Narron, I also think fundametally we were better in the 2nd half. I also think w/o OB trying to run the ship, Narron will do even beter job of managing the team. I would rather see money put into the team than a manager that is over rated.

KronoRed
02-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Not an idiot, just an optimist ;)

MattyHo4Life
02-04-2006, 07:27 PM
I don't think we are that far apart. Nevertheless, I stand by my point. Unless management is willing to spend in the right areas to improve the team, namely the horrible pitching, a big name manager won't make much of a difference, except in ticket sales. As Tampa Bay demonstrated, even Piniella needs players. If the team commits to better pitching, player development strategies, and a competitive payroll, I have no problem with a big name manager to turn things around.

Right, a good manager alone won't do much of anything. It's just the first building block of many.

Hondo
02-06-2006, 03:02 AM
Narron would make a Great Speical Advisor...

Lou in 2006 and Beyond!!!

JaredRoberts.com

max venable
02-06-2006, 04:59 PM
I must be an idiot for thinking this but I think they will be over .500 this year. I believe Harang continues to improve. Claussen's ERA was right at 3.00 in Aug/Sept. I also believe Williams will be a winner. As far as the last 2 spots go, if Milton was really injured last year and he can at least get his ERA in the 4s, they guy can win some games with our offense. His last 2 starts were very good. The fifth starter is a question mark for me. Offensively we will be better, trust me. I think the bullpen will be a big key..some guys need to step up.

How much over .500, I hate to say but I truly believe this will be one interesting year.

Back to Narron, I also think fundametally we were better in the 2nd half. I also think w/o OB trying to run the ship, Narron will do even beter job of managing the team. I would rather see money put into the team than a manager that is over rated.

All we need is just to catch lightning in a bottle, dude. That's it. One year, one time.