PDA

View Full Version : What players on other MLB teams do you love to hate?

max venable
02-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Who are your least favorite players?

Barry Bonds is a given for most folks (including me).

Jim Edmonds definately makes my list

and, oh yeah, the NY Yankees too (that's right...all of 'em) :cool:

dman
02-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Chipper Jones
Andruw Jones
Sammy Sosa

harangatang
02-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Moises Alou
Ray King
Alex Rodriguez
Manny Ramirez
Barry Bonds

David Cubbedge
02-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Jim Edmonds for sure

Jeff Kent

Barry Bonds

and Todd Helton

Freddie_Free
02-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Alex Rodriguez
Jeff Kent
Derek Jeter
Alfonso Soriano

Joseph
02-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Aside from some already mentioned I'd like to add:

My list:
Schilling

My wife list:
Ben Sheets - because he hit LaRue with a pitch a couple seasons ago and broke a finger or hand.

Khalil Green

Lance Berkman

Sosa

Javier Valentin

Danny Graves

Red in Chicago
02-04-2006, 06:45 PM
current players:
bonds
sosa
alou
edmonds
damon
wood
pujols
suzuki
clemens
martinez

former players
fisk
puckett
garvey
russell
yaz
carew

teams now:
cardinals
cubs
red sox
brewers
twins

teams back "in the day"
dodgers
cubs
yankees

Red in Chicago
02-04-2006, 06:51 PM
as a follow up...just last night my cousin was asking me what teams i didn't like and i first ratteled off the cubs, cardinals, twins, red sox, brewers...before i could continue she said, "you don't like anybody"...i replied, but i love my reds and that's all that matters...why should i like any other team??...they are only there to keep my reds from a world series ring, right?!!

sure, i go to white sox games to enjoy a baseball game or two...but it's really more as a fan of the game, as opposed to actually rooting for them...don't get me wrong, i guess if it can't be cincy, i guess the white sox are a good enough choice...anything to piss off those cub fans is good for me:devil:

vaticanplum
02-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Aside from some already mentioned I'd like to add:

My list:
Schilling

Swear to God, I was going to say that my list begins and ends with Curt Schilling. Verbatim.

There are other players that grate on me a lot, but no one else at this level. Not even close.

Red in Chicago
02-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Swear to God, I was going to say that my list begins and ends with Curt Schilling. Verbatim.

There are other players that grate on me a lot, but no one else at this level. Not even close.

gee, could it be his pompous attitude and political views that just sicken you? he needs to just throw the ball and shut up...we don't need to hear his holier than thou agenda...

Gainesville Red
02-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Sammy Sosa
Moises Alou
Mike Piazza
Todd Walker
Cory Lidle
Curt Schilling
J.D. Drew
Kyle Farnsworth
Randy Johnson
Arod
Bernie Williams
A.J. Pierzynski
Bill Hall
Scott Rolen
Jim Edmonds

KronoRed
02-04-2006, 07:09 PM
All non Reds.

vaticanplum
02-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Bernie Williams

Oh, this hurts my heart. How can anyone hate Bernie Williams?

Gainesville Red
02-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Oh, this hurts my heart. How can anyone hate Bernie Williams?

I feel like this about a lot of players. I don't know why I don't like them, I just don't like them.

max venable
02-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Kyle Farnsworth

Good pick.

BTW...I like Schilling. A lot. Great pitcher and a stand-up guy.

kbrake
02-04-2006, 08:18 PM
This begins and ends with Jim Edmonds
but if I had to give a few more I go with Jeter and Schilling

MartyFan
02-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Current Players I cannot stand
The Cleveland Indians
Pudge rodriquez
Pedro Martinez
Sammy
Manny
The New York Yankees
The Cardinals

Past Players I cannot stand
Pete Rose
Tug McGraw
The LA Dodgers
Carlton Fisk
Johnny Bench
Nomah

Current Players I like...
The DRays
Dontrell Willis
Albert Pujols

max venable
02-04-2006, 08:38 PM
MartyFan,

To be a Reds fan and not like Johnny Bench AND Pete Rose is almost...well...blasphemous. :eek:

RosieRed
02-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Tony Womack

oh, wait ... :(

Strikes Out Looking
02-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Randy Johnson
ARod
any Cardinal or Cub plus their managers--Dusty and the Genius
Ryan Church
The Balco Boys (Jason Giambi, Bonds, etc...)

KronoRed
02-04-2006, 09:37 PM
All non Reds.
+ Aurilia

HalMorrisRules
02-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Where should I even start? Let's see..

Brad Ausmus
Roy Oswalt
Jose Lima
Moises Alou
Tom Glavine
Jeff Blauser
Ryan Klesko.

Thats a good beginning.

Gainesville Red
02-04-2006, 10:11 PM
How bout the Rally Monkey, does that count?

lucky bugle boy
02-04-2006, 10:31 PM
How about the '90 A's? Besides the fact that our Red Stockings won, it was almost as sweet to see the A's lose. McGwire, Canseco, etc. Although Rickey Henderson is all right (he was on that team, right?)

IowaRed
02-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Bonds
Edmonds
Sosa
Pedro
K. Wood
Grudzielanek
Alou
Lofton

lucky bugle boy
02-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Currently: Giambi, Jeter, ARod (especially after knocking the ball out of the pitcher's hand (don't remember who) in the ALCS a couple years ago).

alex trevino
02-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Curt "Hollier than Thou" Schilling

GADawg
02-04-2006, 11:04 PM
current players would be...

Andruw Jones
Ron Belliard
Jim F. Edmunds
Jeff Francouer
all american leaguers except dmitri
Craig Wilson
Carlos Zambrano(though I'd take him in Red in a second)
and a host of others...

past players...

Terry Pendleton
Bud Harrelson
Tim Teufel
Dennis Eckersley
Dave Stewart
Sid Bream
and again a host of others...

and whoever mentioned Dusty Baker and LaRussa was spot on...also I'd like to throw in Bobby (my wife dropped the complaint) Cox.

bucksfan
02-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Andruw Jones, Edmonds, Sosa (wasn't always this way for me), Kent, Kenny Rogers (maybe I'll like him better with the Tigers)

TeamBoone
02-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Why Alou?

Gainesville Red
02-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Why not Alou?

Topcat
02-05-2006, 12:01 AM
Derek Jeter No bloody idea how good he is but talk about the hype machine in full lost get back boogie mode yikes!:eek:

ps yes a James Lee Burke book reference.

blumj
02-05-2006, 12:27 AM
AJ Pierzynski

Caseyfan21
02-05-2006, 12:42 AM
Surprised Jeff Kent hasn't been mentioned yet. Can't stand that guy. Also can't LaRussa, he's so full of himself. Besides them I suppose it's most of the usual suspects.

savafan
02-05-2006, 12:45 AM
Barry Bonds
Juan Gonzalez
Chipper Jones
and I think I can say this now without getting as much hate thrown at me, but Sean Casey, the first baseman for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

StillFunkyB
02-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Ray King first and foremost.

Current:
The Chicago Cubs
Craig Counsell
Rich Aurilia
Chadd Moore (I know he's a Bearcat, but I cannot stand him. He is the worst.)

Past:
The Chicago Cubs
Eric Plunk
Derek Lilliquist (sp?)

creek14
02-05-2006, 11:50 AM
I would say Danny Graves, but I don't think he'll ever be on another MLB team. :mooner:

forfreelin04
02-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Why Alou?

The fact he usually kills the reds and the whole urinating on the hands thing.....

Mine in no particular order

Alou (stated above)
Bonds (the man's head has grown twice its size since his rookie season)
Damon (sold his soul for pin stripes)
King (kearns has never been the same and neither has the buffet at ponderosa)
Tavarez (dark alley)
Fisk (over shadows the Reds actually winning series!)
Edmonds (never seen a major leaguer dive just to make sportscenter)
Oswalt (virtually unhittable to Reds bats)

scounts22
02-05-2006, 02:42 PM
1. David Cone solely for the play-off game in '99.

2. The Cleveland Indians. Living during the 1990's in central Ohio when everyone became a fair-weather Indians fan truly annoyed the crap out of me.

max venable
02-05-2006, 04:35 PM
1. David Cone solely for the play-off game in '99.

2. The Cleveland Indians. Living during the 1990's in central Ohio when everyone became a fair-weather Indians fan truly annoyed the crap out of me.
No kidding! I was living in Columbus at the time. And challenge any of them on it and they would reply, "Oh no way, I'm a life-long Tribe fan!" Then ask them a simple Tribe trivia question such as, "Okay hotshot, what position did Mike Hargrove play for the Indians?"...and they couldn't tell you.

The thing that kills me is I know several guys who are Reds AND Indians fan. I don't get that at all. To me, that's like being a Bengals AND a Browns fan. Whatever.

Fairweather is right!

dman
02-05-2006, 04:54 PM
"Okay hotshot, what position did Mike Hargrove play for the Indians?"...and they couldn't tell you.
Please, then, never ask them who Andre Thornton was, because two weeks later, they'll still be looking for the answer.

bomarl1969
02-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Players/managers I never liked...

Mark McGwar-the redneck pronunciation
Jose Canseco
Barry Bonds
Andrew Jones
Greg Maddux
Tony LaRusa
Dave Stewart
A-Rod
Deion Sanders as a Brave/Cowboy, but I loved him as a Red

Teams...
Braves
Indians
Cubs
Cardinals

bucksfan
02-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Surprised Jeff Kent hasn't been mentioned yet. Can't stand that guy. Also can't LaRussa, he's so full of himself. Besides them I suppose it's most of the usual suspects.

I mentioned him earlier and (obviously ;) ) agree with you. I think someone else also listed him before I did.

Looking at former players, I also must add Steve Garvey to the list. The fact he "competed" with Tony for 1B all-star honors did not help his cause with me at the time.

captainmorgan07
02-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Edmonds tops my list then brian giles cant' stand him arod,berkman always seem to hit a big homer

NC Reds
02-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Bonds
Edmonds
Sosa
Bret Boone
Graves
Farnsworth
Chipper Jones

Manager - Tony Larussa

ED44
02-06-2006, 01:46 PM
I have to say Sosa, Chipper...and any/every Yankee.

BRM
02-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Bonds
Edmonds
Andruw Jones
Pedro Martinez
Kent

Dusty Baker

max venable
02-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Looking at former players, I also must add Steve Garvey to the list. The fact he "competed" with Tony for 1B all-star honors did not help his cause with me at the time.

Along the same lines, I got a little sick of Ozzie stealing AllStar starting jobs from Barry just because he did back flips. I grew to resent Ozzie a little because of that.

RedsFan75
02-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Edmonds (I started to just copy his name like 10 times)
Sosa
Jeff Kent
Jeter
ARod
Craig Biggio (aka Mr. Body Armor)
Managers
LaRussa
Dusty Baker
(Does it have to be players only? Cause I'd add the Cubs fans here.
About the Cubs... there's not like any one player that typifies that Cub Attitude. You take Wood, Prior, almost any of them and put them on the Reds, or another team and it's nothing personal. They are good players. But that attitude that is predominant in the fans is what kills me where the Cubs are concerned.)

Teams
Cubs

dman
02-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Greg Maddux
Out of curiosity, why Maddux. Personally, other than mouthing an occasional "F" bomb after giving up a dinger, I've always found "The Professor" to be one of the classiest players playing today. You never hear of him talking smack, I've never seen him intentionally throw at a batter, and the guy is a workhorse who just goes out there every time and gives it all he has.

TheHugeUnit
02-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Ortiz, Manny, schilling the rest of the Red Soxs, Bonds, and Pedro

Red Hot Mama
02-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Are we really three pages into this thread and no one's said Eckstein?? That little rat hit a walk-off grand slam last season!

Gainesville Red
02-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Sorry, that little rat's a gator. How can you hate some one who's gotta take a crow-hop from shortstop. Liked him more when he played in the American League, but still like him.

Cedric
02-06-2006, 10:38 PM
Schilling
Ortiz
Edmonds
Clemens
Bill Hall
Sosa
Dusty Baker
Kerry Wood
Mark Prior
Carlos Zambrano
Larry Jones
BARRY BONDS

Cedric
02-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Are we really three pages into this thread and no one's said Eckstein?? That little rat hit a walk-off grand slam last season!

I love Eckstein because he showed how smart Jocketty is and how wrong people are when they try and pigeon hole players. One of those people being myself :)

Red Hot Mama
02-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Sorry, that little rat's a gator. How can you hate some one who's gotta take a crow-hop from shortstop. Liked him more when he played in the American League, but still like him.

OK, I got the third sentence. I could use a translator on the first two. A little help?

KronoRed
02-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Out of curiosity, why Maddux. Personally, other than mouthing an occasional "F" bomb after giving up a dinger, I've always found "The Professor" to be one of the classiest players playing today. You never hear of him talking smack, I've never seen him intentionally throw at a batter, and the guy is a workhorse who just goes out there every time and gives it all he has.
I don't like him because he always got that outside corner, I know it's not his fault but I can't stand crap like that.

gonelong
02-06-2006, 10:52 PM
OK, I got the third sentence. I could use a translator on the first two. A little help?

1) My sincerest apologies, but the diminuative man in question is an alumnus of the University of Florida (therefore I choose not to speak ill of him).

2) I find it incredulous that you would hold animosity towards a man that has overcome his physical limitations (such as a arm of dubious strength) to play so well on the Major league level.

Red Hot Mama
02-06-2006, 10:57 PM
1) My sincerest apologies, but the diminuative man in question is an alumnus of the University of Florida (therefore I choose not to speak ill of him).

2) I find it incredulous that you would hold animosity towards a man that has overcome his physical limitations (such as a arm of dubious strength) to play so well on the Major league level.

Thank you. :)

1) Oh, OK.
2) Well, it's certainly not because he'd be exactly the sort of quick little guy that I would fawn over if he played on my team. No siree.

Gainesville Red
02-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Gonelong beat me to it. Eck plays the game like little leaguers play. He runs as hard down the line as hard as he can no matter what. He's just a guy that has been told at every level he isn't good enough to be there. Eck's got no quit in him. He's an excellent role model to kids everywhere, don't give up your dream just because someone says you aren't good enough. Work harder than anyone else, show more heart than anyone else and maybe things will fall into place for you.

Plus you get major brownie points if you went to the same college I go to in the town I grew up in. It's great to be a Florida Gator. Anyone watch Gameday on Saturday morning? We camped out in front of the O'Dome the night before in thunderstorms. Once they let us in and the Gameday cameras started rolling I honestly thought the stands were gonna collapse. It was a hell of a day. Sorry, went off topic.

Wheelhouse
02-07-2006, 02:19 AM
Edmonds (Hot Dog)
Farnsworth (fight with Paul Wilson)
Bonds (disgrace to baseball)
McGwire (same, and for butt-grabbing Sosa in HR chase)
Sosa (same, and for butt-grabbing McGwire)
Palmiero (disgrace)
All the Boones post-Ray (all egomaniacs)
Graves (shouldn't be in majors, pocket poison)
Manny Ramirez (selfish)
Matt Morris (ain't as good as he thinks he is, hates Reds)
Manager: LaRussa (hates Reds)

scounts22
02-07-2006, 09:19 AM

I sat two seats down from him at the bar at the Hyatt a few years ago when the Braves were in town, he was the nicest guy. He sat down, ordered a beer, and talked a complete stranger about golf for the longest time. I was really impressed with him.

But Krono, I totally understand what you mean about the outside corner thing. He could get strikes called for balls that looked like they were half way to the dugout!

max venable
02-07-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm amazed at how many of you don't like Schilling or Clemens. Several of you have explained why you dislike Schilling (which I still don't fully understand--dude's a gamer). But why do you not like Clemens?

vaticanplum
02-07-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm amazed at how many of you don't like Schilling or Clemens. Several of you have explained why you dislike Schilling (which I still don't fully understand--dude's a gamer). But why do you not like Clemens?

Schilling is, as many people have put so well, holier-than-thou. He has publicly put down his teammates but has no problem accepting as much adulation as humanly possible. He runs his mouth on things about which he is not terribly well-educated. There was a period in time where it seemed like there wasn't an issue on earth about which Schilling didn't have an opinion. I don't begrudge him his opinions or his right to voice them, but I'm human, and add to the fact that I personally don't agree with a lot of what he says, and it's grating.

Clemens I see as having kind of a mercenary mentality. He's a selfish egomaniac and I don't see that he ever thinks of his team before or even equal to himself. Dude showed up in a Yankees jersey in the Red Sox clubhouse. Read that sentence again. I see the entire world through navy pinstripes and I still think that's despicable. Then he's retiring. Then he's not retiring. Then he's retiring. Then he'll play, but only if the Astros conform to his conditions. Make up your mind, Rog. It's easier if you think of people other than yourself.

I have huge respect for what both of these men have done as pitchers. They are amazing, among the best of their generation, and you'd better believe that when Clemens was in New York I revelled in every one of his successes. I try not to hold players' personalities against them on the field; it just means that neither of these guys are people with whom I'd choose to have a beer. (well, that's a lie. If they paid for the drinks and told me good stories, I'd be game. But I wouldn't totally enjoy it, and I would probably say mean things about them afterwards.)

vaticanplum
02-07-2006, 11:58 PM
double post, sorry