PDA

View Full Version : Your call

Red Leader
02-06-2006, 10:08 AM
There have been a number of bad calls in the history of sport which have stood up and were not overturned, even if it was fairly obvious that the refs/umpires got the call wrong. I figured this thread would spark good conversation about such a topic.

Two questions.

If you could change any one call in Red's baseball history, which call would it be?

Also, in all of sports, if you could correct an incorrect call that stood up in the history of sports, what would it be?

Red Leader
02-06-2006, 10:32 AM
iI'm still trying to think of a Red's call to overturn.

Here is my all of sports call:

1979: Charles White's fumble

USC led Michigan 7-3 in the Rose Bowl when Charles White dove through the line from the three-yard line. White lost the ball and it was recovered by Michigan. But the line judge determined White had crossed the goal line. USC won 17-10 and shared the national championship.

I had just turned 7 years old and was really starting to enjoy watching football. I had become a UM fan that year because my Dad always rooted for OSU and it made it more fun to watch the game and root against "his" team in the big game. The loss by UM in the Rose Bowl should have never happened.

Chip R
02-06-2006, 10:38 AM
There have been a number of bad calls in the history of sport which have stood up and were not overturned, even if it was fairly obvious that the refs/umpires got the call wrong. I figured this thread would spark good conversation about such a topic.

Two questions.

If you could change any one call in Red's baseball history, which call would it be?

70 World Series. Need I say more?

macro
02-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Chip's is a good nominee. Let me also add Frank Pulli's blown call on Dave Collins' catch in Game 2 of the 1979 NLCS. Pulli said he trapped it, which he didn't. That allowed a run to score that shouldn't have, and the Pirates ended up winning that game something like 2-1. (Didn't it go extra innings?) With a win in that game, the series is tied 1-1 and the Reds have a shot.

savafan
02-06-2006, 10:45 AM
The Eric Davis first he's safe, nope, now he's out at home call sticks in my memory.

cumberlandreds
02-06-2006, 11:15 AM
The 1970 WS call by Ken Burkhart to call out Bernie Carbo at the plate.

The out call by Denkinger in the 1985 WS that kept the Royals alive and eventually helped them win the WS. I was rooting for the Royals but that was just a horrid call and he should have been fired after that.

M2
02-06-2006, 11:32 AM
My memory's getting hazy. Which game of the '79 NLCS was it where the umps ruled Dave Collins trapped a ball he clearly caught. All I really recall of the play is my disgust. In fact, losing to the Pirates left me thoroughly disgusted. Until that point in time I took it for granted that the Reds owned those guys.

westofyou
02-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Which game of the '79 NLCS was it where the umps ruled Dave Collins trapped a ball he clearly caught. The one I was at.

Game One played on Tuesday, October 2, 1979

M2
02-06-2006, 12:22 PM
The one I was at.

Game One played on Tuesday, October 2, 1979

It's coming back to me now. Dave Parker in the 11th, right? The Reds came unglued after that.

westofyou
02-06-2006, 12:25 PM
It's coming back to me now. Dave Parker in the 11th, right? The Reds came unglued after that.

PIRATES 11TH: Foli singled; ALEXANDER RAN FOR FOLI; Parker
singled [Alexander to second]; Stargell homered [Alexander
scored, Parker scored]; Milner grounded out (second to first);
Madlock singled; TOMLIN REPLACED HUME (PITCHING); Madlock stole
second; Ott struck out; Garner was walked intentionally; Jackson
made an out to pitcher; 3 R, 4 H, 0 E, 2 LOB. Pirates 5, Reds 2.

REDS 11TH: B. ROBINSON REPLACED ALEXANDER (PLAYING LF); STENNETT
REPLACED MILNER (PLAYING 2B); GARNER CHANGED POSITIONS (PLAYING
SS); Collins grounded out (second to first); Morgan made an out
to right; Concepcion singled; Foster walked [Concepcion to
second]; D. ROBINSON REPLACED JACKSON (PITCHING); Bench walked
[Concepcion to third, Foster to second]; Knight struck out
(catcher to first); 0 R, 1 H, 0 E, 3 LOB. Pirates 5, Reds 2.

Chip R
02-06-2006, 12:43 PM
For some reason I don't have much recall of the 79 NLCS. They must have been on during the day. I do have some hazy recollections of one of the games that was on after I got home from school but that's about it. I also have no recollection of the 76 series although I may have been grounded from watching TV then.

macro
02-06-2006, 12:50 PM
I think all three games of the 1979 NLCS were on during the day.

HalMorrisRules
02-06-2006, 01:23 PM
The Dave Pallone call at 1st base that caused Pete to go berserk and shove him. Nick Esasky had a long stretch and Pallone ruled he came off of the bag. The bad part of the call was that he stood and thought about it and waited to make the call, allowing the go-ahead run to score. Pete came out to argue and everything broke lose. I was at that game and it was the craziest Reds game I have ever been at. Not only did the shove happen in that game but there was also a fight. Browning drilled Teufel in the back and and the benches cleared. IIRC, Tuefel homered off of Browning (Tuefel always seemed to own Browning) and it was obvious that Browning drilled him on purpose. I remember Strawberry bolting from the dugout and Lloyd McClendon coming from behind the plate in his catchers gear and giving Strawberry a forearm shiver.

Second craziest game I ever went to was the game where Ray Knight punched Eric Davis. A book could be written on that one game alone.

Worst call in other sports? Easy. I'm a Raiders fan so I could pick several but I will go with the absolute worst. Two words.. Tuck Rule. 'Nuff said.

RFS62
02-06-2006, 01:34 PM
70 World Series. Need I say more?

Hap
02-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Last night's offensive pass interference call. Need I say more?

And speaking of Frank Pulli, he was the one who ruled that the Jeffrey Mayer incident was a home run. I was living in NoVa at the time and I heard the call by Jon Miller on the Orioles network. Jon Miller got the call right from 400 feet away as it was happening in live action. Frank Pulli was about ten feet away and he couldn't call it right. He was afraid of what the Yankee Stadium crowd would do if he had called fan interference; not to mention that the 12-year-old could have been removed from the stadium and then prosecuted.

And how about Colorado's fifth-down TD run?

paulrichjr
02-06-2006, 02:21 PM
I think all three games of the 1979 NLCS were on during the day.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the game that is in question was on at night. In fact I believe the first two games were on at night but the 3rd game was on a Sunday and was on during the day. I remember because I refused to watch it because I knew the Reds were done for so I went outside and played instead...

westofyou
02-06-2006, 02:23 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I believe the game that is in question was on at night. In fact I believe the first two games were on at night but the 3rd game was on a Sunday and was on during the day. I remember because I refused to watch it because I knew the Reds were done for so I went outside and played instead...
Game one was at night.

PMand JM
02-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Game one was at night.
Unfortunately, I remember that one as well, and was actually the first game I thought of when I read the title of this thread. The second one that came to mind was the Pallone/Rose game, in which the scab waited until after the tying run had scored before making the incorrect call. I didn't know that Rose had bumped him until the next day, but I was spittin' mad at the call. McCarver (I believe) even had Pete's back on that one.:bang:

Roy Tucker
02-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Two Reds calls I'd like reversed:

- Dick Sisler naming John Tsitouris as starter for the last game of the season in 1964. The Reds win, they win the pennant. Tsitouris gets hammered and Reds lost 10-0. Sisler should have used Jim O'Toole.
- Jack McKeon naming Steve Parris as starter for the playoff (or play-in) game in 1999. Parris doesn't have it that day, the Reds lose 5-0. IIRC, Denny Neagle was also available. Although, the way Al Leiter pitched, the Reds could have gone 100 innings and never scored off him.

And the all-time call I'd like to have back is Brian Sipe's interception on the infamous Red Right 88 play in a 1981 Browns-Raiders playoff game.

Puffy
02-06-2006, 02:49 PM
The Giants and the 49ers when the Giants botched the snap and then the refs missed the pass interference call that woulda given the Giants another chance, and this time it would have been a chip shot (although who knows if they would of been able to snap the freakin ball).

As for the Reds, the Reds Mets game where Rose went beserek - cause I lived in NY and hung out with Mets fans - is the one that really sticks out.

TOBTTReds
02-06-2006, 03:12 PM
How about 1991 Twins/Braves Ron Gant getting pulled off the base by Kent Hrbek? Didn't care about the call really, but I met Drew Coble (who made the call) when I was about 11 and I knew he made the call 4 years before that. We were at the same hotel so I went up and asked him if he was the one who made the call, and he and his family started laughing, and he asked "who put you up to this?" thinking no 11 year old knew who he was, or that he made that call when I was only 7 years old. He was a good sport about it, but I'm guessing he got a lot of crap for that call.

Falls City Beer
02-06-2006, 03:13 PM
I'd like to mention the 35 "home run" calls made by various umpires around the league in 2005 after those long fly balls surrendered by Eric Milton.

Terrible calls, each one.

M2
02-06-2006, 03:23 PM
How about 1991 Twins/Braves Ron Gant getting pulled off the base by Kent Hrbek?

That was brilliant salesmanship on Hrbek's part. He shielded the ump and made it look like Gant stumbled off the base. Coupled with the deke play on Lonnie Smith, the Twins deserved an Oscar for that Series.

RedsFan75
02-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Carbo - 70
Enough said.

KronoRed
02-06-2006, 04:42 PM
The 2003 Florida/fsu game..first football game ever I am convinced was fixed.

about 6 blown calls, and blown so ridiculously that it was obvious what was going on.

Scrap Irony
02-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Reds call: 1970. That call goes the right way, the Reds have a chance.

All of sports: The non-call in 1992. Laettner stomps Timberlake, no call. Should have been automatic ejection.

Laettner is a pud.

Always will be.

Became major Duke hater after that one. (Respect their talent. Hate the smug attitude, the smarter-than-thou fans, and the Dookie V/ ESPN love. And don't get me started on the commericals.)