PDA

View Full Version : Castellini trims list to "two or three" - Arbuckle confirms he's out

jmcclain19
02-07-2006, 05:11 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060207/SPT04/302070013/-1/CINCI

Reds narrow GM search
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
The Reds expect to have a new general manager in place by Friday.

Whom that will be remains unknown. The original list of nine candidates has been trimmed to a select few who will be called back for a second interview.

Reds chief executive officer Bob Castellini was asked today how many names are on the list.

“It’s somewhere in the neighborhood (of two or three),” Castellini said.

Wayne Krivsky, the Minnesota assistant general manager, and Jim Beattie, a Reds special advisor, are likely among the finalists. Both declined comment today.

“I’m going to let it come from (chief operating officer) John Allen,” Krivsky said. “He’s scheduling things.”

Allen did not return a call this afternoon.

Krivsky was the choice of nearly everyone in the organization in 2003, when Dan O’Brien got the job. Then-CEO Carl Lindner overruled his front office people and hired O’Brien.

One candidate who won’t be on the list of finalists is Philadelphia assistant GM Mike Arbuckle.

“They called me and said they were going in a different direction,” Arbuckle said this afternoon.

Two other candidates – Atlanta assistant GM Frank Wren and Reds director of international scouting and player development Johnny Almaraz – said they had not heard anything from the club since their interviews.

Other candidates:

• Brad Kullman, the Reds interim GM

• Leland Maddox, a Reds scout and former scouting director.

• David Wilder, Chicago White Sox assistant GM.

• John Mozeliak, St. Louis assistant GM.

Calls to Kullman, Maddox, Wilder and Mozeliak were not returned this afternoon.

Castellini said he’s confident the Reds will get a good GM.

“We felt like we had the best people available in,” he said. “We were very impressed with the candidates.”

Falls City Beer
02-07-2006, 05:14 PM
If Beattie's hired, the Reds are back to square one. I smell Oriolehood on the Reds horizon. Don't know about anyone else. Cardinal-esque payroll, Pittsburgh -esque talent.

vaticanplum
02-07-2006, 05:15 PM
And the plot thins...

CincyRedsFan30
02-07-2006, 05:15 PM
I am expecting Krivsky to get the job.

Kullman or Mozeliak is probably the third name on the list.

westofyou
02-07-2006, 05:16 PM
If Beattie's hired, the Reds are back to square one. I smell Oriolehood on the Reds horizon. Don't know about anyone else. Cardinal-esque payroll, Pittsburgh -esque talent.You should have that thing checked.... it makes you depressed.

Falls City Beer
02-07-2006, 05:26 PM
You should have that thing checked.... it makes you depressed.

Be honest. How do you feel about Beattie as GM? Pretty bloody underwhelmed, right?

RFS62
02-07-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm holding out hope for Wren.

NewEraReds
02-07-2006, 05:33 PM
If Beattie's hired, the Reds are back to square one. I smell Oriolehood on the Reds horizon. Don't know about anyone else. Cardinal-esque payroll, Pittsburgh -esque talent.
i agree, if beattie is hired its gonna be tough to be excited about the reds. just sets us back big time.

westofyou
02-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Be honest. How do you feel about Beattie as GM? Pretty bloody underwhelmed, right?

Sorry, I'm a half full type of guy.

Pssst... I don't think he'll get the job.. otherwise he would not have been tagging along already.

Wren or Krivsky is my pick.

NewEraReds
02-07-2006, 05:36 PM
all i know is, IMO, all the good that came from the new owners, the firing of obrien, et all, will be taken away by the hiring of beattie. it may even put us back further. cause at least obrien was 2 years into his plan(good or bad), he had at least got some things going. starting all over with the same crap would just send me over the edge :)

Falls City Beer
02-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Pssst... I don't think he'll get the job.. otherwise he would not have been tagging along already.

I've agreed along that the logic says that Beattie won't get it because of his "tagging along."

But then I realize that I'm applying logic to a Reds' undertaking, and that's just going to get me in trouble.

CincyRedsFan30
02-07-2006, 05:37 PM
I am fairly certain that Beattie will not get the job. He might be a finalist, but it is unlikely he'll get past that point.

I fully expect Krivsky to be named the GM on Friday afternoon, but I guess we'll find out. :)

guttle11
02-07-2006, 05:40 PM
What's wrong with Kullman? He got us Harang and Claussen for Aaron Boone and Jose Guillen. That's looking mighty good right now.

I say Kullman or Krivsky gets it.

Reds Fanatic
02-07-2006, 05:40 PM
I would guess if it is 2 or 3 it may be down to Krivsky, Beattie and maybe Wren. Out of those 3 I hope it's Krivsky.

NewEraReds
02-07-2006, 05:44 PM
What's wrong with Kullman? He got us Harang and Claussen for Aaron Boone and Jose Guillen. That's looking mighty good right now.

I say Kullman or Krivsky gets it.
i think something that may be going against him is him being a good employee. he has stated many times he wants to stay with the reds even if he doesnt get the job. i think thats worked against his chance of getting the job. that and the fact he has been in the organization(right or wrong) that hurts him

CincyRedsFan30
02-07-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm now hearing that the team basically KNOWS right now who the GM is and there might not be any second interviews that actually occur. I'm trying to get a timeline on the announcement now.

Johnny Footstool
02-07-2006, 05:54 PM
If Kullman gets the job, it's a pretty big slap in the face to DanO.

BRM
02-07-2006, 05:54 PM

Are those the two you personally like or are those the two you suspect the Reds like?

westofyou
02-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Are those the two you personally like or are those the two you suspect the Reds like?
The two I think the Reds like, but I like them as well... the younger guys are iffy, mainly because the Cincinnati marketplace is short on patience and will demand something resembling immediate competence and accountability, this is why I feel some of the others were not interested in the interview process, some feel that they would have too short of a leash or that in fact the field was already narrowed down and the rest was just for show and mining opinions.

BigRed
02-07-2006, 06:13 PM
I think it is either Mozeliak (Castellini's Cards connection) or Krivsky. My gut says Mozeliak but would not be surprised either way.

KronoRed
02-07-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm in the anyone but Beattie boat at the moment.

Strikes Out Looking
02-07-2006, 06:31 PM
I for one am dissapointed Arbuckle is out, solely for the reason that I would have relished the millions of posts calling him Fatty. The other ones do not come in with ready made nicknames, they will have to earn them a la Leatherpants.

westofyou
02-07-2006, 06:46 PM
I would have relished the millions of posts calling him Fatty.
You could say the Reds gave him the bottle so to speak.

Red Heeler
02-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Mozeliak would be my personal favorite of the bunch. He seems to have a nice blend of performance and scouting points of view.

Kullman would rank second. He scores big points for landing talent in the midst of a blatant cash grab.

Wren and Krivsky appear from the outside to be basically the same guy in different organizations. You can't argue with the success. However, both organizations (especially the Twins) are too tool oriented for my liking. Get it right and you have the Braves. Get it wrong and you have the Bowden era Reds.

If I were handicapping this race (who I think will win), it would go:
1) Krivsky
2a) Mozliak
2b) Wren
4) Kullman

dougflynn23
02-07-2006, 07:22 PM

I say Kullman or Krivsky gets it. :) Just once, I'd like to see the Reds order off the adult menu. Krivsky is the best choice considering they couldn't attract the likes of Chris Antonelli or Paul DePodesta. If it's Kullman or Beattie, it is a step back.

steig
02-07-2006, 07:34 PM
lets go Wren!

paulrichjr
02-07-2006, 07:35 PM
I bet on Mozliak. Cardinals influence is going to be big on Cast....

Kc61
02-07-2006, 07:35 PM
I think the odds are high that it will be Krivsky. My guess is that Allen is telling Cast that Krivsky was the best candidate last time by far, but Lindner took DanO because of his local roots. I'm sure the tale of Minnesota's success is carrying a lot of weight.

I agree that the other likely candidate is Mozeliak. Just not sure Cast & Co. necessarily know him that well from St. Louis; don't know that as minority limited partners they became close with an assistant GM.

I also think Krivsky (over Mozeliak) because -- again, just guessing -- Cast doesn't strike me as the type who will hire a young GM. I think he will want someone he sees as "seasoned."

Beattie's rep as being methodical will hurt him because he sounds too much like O'Brien. I see Beattie staying with the organization in a senior role, not as GM.

Whomever they pick, please end this agony and field a winner!

TeamBoone
02-07-2006, 07:38 PM
My guess is that Allen is telling Cast that Krivsky was the best candidate last time by far, but Lindner took DanO because of his local roots.

What are DOB's local roots? I didn't know he had any.

Kc61
02-07-2006, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=Kc61]My guess is that Allen is telling Cast that Krivsky was the best candidate last time by far, but Lindner took DanO because of his local roots.
[QUOTE]

What are DOB's local roots? I didn't know he had any.

Don't remember it all, I think he's from Ohio U. Others may recall more detail.

westofyou
02-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Dan O went to OU, worked for the Angels, Rangers and Astros.

I'm more local than Dan O'Brien and I haven't lived in Ohio in 24 years.

TeamBoone
02-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Dan O went to OU, worked for the Angels, Rangers and Astros.

I'm more local than Dan O'Brien and I haven't lived in Ohio in 24 years.

I agree!

Kc61
02-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Ok, you made me look it up. DanO lived in the Columbus area as a youngster, went to high school in suburban Columbus, then went to grad school at Ohio U. His wife also is from Columbus and went to law school locally in Ohio.

Don't recall if Carl L referred to these local roots when announcing DanO in 2003, but wouldn't be surprised if he did. Reportedly, others in the organization did not want Dan in 2003, but wanted Krivsky.

westofyou
02-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Ok, you made me look it up. DanO lived in the Columbus area as a youngster, went to high school in suburban Columbus, then went to grad school at Ohio U. His wife also is from Columbus and went to law school locally in Ohio.

Don't recall if Carl L referred to these local roots when announcing DanO in 2003, but wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Well I went to HS in Cincinnati the late 70's and attended OU and UC in the early 80's and my wife was born and raised in Cincinnati and went to Miami.

But my dad wasn't a GM so I never got an interview. :laugh:

Red Heeler
02-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Well I went to HS in Cincinnati the late 70's and attended OU and UC in the early 80's and my wife was born and raised in Cincinnati and went to Miami.

But my dad wasn't a GM so I never got an interview. :laugh:

You would have been a much better choice. Your wife would have been a better choice, too. Heck, your cat would have given more understandable interviews.

IowaRed
02-07-2006, 08:31 PM
You could say the Reds gave him the bottle so to speak.

Wow :eek:

Reds Nd2
02-07-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm still curious why Depodesta and Ng weren't interviewed.

NewEraReds
02-07-2006, 08:55 PM
the reds will not be announcing the finalists and will just announce the winner:) when it is decided per marc's blog. pretty funny, maybe beattie was one of them and they read our thoughts on this board ;)

OR, there was a guy who was a finalists who didnt want his name to go public, so if he isnt the guy, they dont want his name out

CincyRedsFan30
02-07-2006, 09:08 PM
I think it has something to do with the notion that the team has basically already picked their winner and might not even be interviewing anyone a second time.

Expect the new GM(in all likelyhood Krivsky) to be announced as soon as tomorrow.

redsfan30
02-07-2006, 09:09 PM
I think it has something to do with the notion that the team has basically already picked their winner and might not even be interviewing anyone a second time.

Expect the new GM(in all likelyhood Krivsky) to be announced as soon as tomorrow.
Thanks for the heads up!

CincyRedsFan30
02-07-2006, 09:12 PM
No problem. If something changes here, don't shoot the messenger, but I've heard from some pretty reliable locations that they already have their GM and are close to announcing it. Whether that means tomorrow or by the end of the week remains to be seen but it certainly could happen tomorrow.

Nugget
02-07-2006, 10:30 PM

On Marc's blog he goes into a discussion that he and RCast had about the whole moneyball/sabermetrics thing. He is all for employing some of the moneyball philosophy but isn't so sure that saber is the saviour. He believes that using stats is one way to go about finding value but there are other methods and is looking to employ all of them. Maybe he things Depodesta and Ng are a bit too stats oriented and want some one with all round experience.

Henry Clay
02-07-2006, 11:16 PM
I keep seeing Kullman's name mentioned as a favorite, and I just can't see it. I like the guy and what he did in 2003, but would he be in the running for any other GM position in baseball? Although he got competent returns (something we are not used to) in the 2003 fire sale, he remains a fairly senior member of a failed management team that has not generated a single winning team in 5 years despite two different GMs, three field managers, and the best offense in the NL. I don't blame the guy for the failures, but I also don't think he deserves to be promoted based on his experience and very limited successes. All of the outside candidates, especially Krivsky, Wren, Wilder, and Mozeliak, have some association with winning results. Arbuckle and Beattie are tougher cases to argue, but at least the Phillies, Montreal, and Seattle have had some success on the field or farm system that can be traced to them. Kullman has a legacy of years with a losing franchise learning from bad GMs balanced against three competent trades: Harang and Valentine for Guillen; Claussen for Boone; and Dumantrait and Pelland for Williamson. I think he should be kept around to learn from the next GM, who I hope will be a good one. Kullman may be the best in-house candidate, but that isn't saying much.

I'm hoping for Krivsky or Wren. I wouldn't lose much sleep over a Mozeliak or Wilder pick. If it's Beattie, I may cry like a little girl.

Ron Madden
02-08-2006, 05:26 AM
I'll bet it's Krivsky.

Everyone in the local media wanted him the last time so John Allen cast his lot with him.

Ninety percent of the local media is still in the corner of Krivsky.

Casual fans and most of the local media would be happy if Tracy Jones got the job as long as Marty and Hal told'em that's who they wanted. ;)

Well it seems Krivsky is still on the list, Marty Hal and John are still here. It's pretty hard to bet against Krivsky at this point.

Ron Madden
02-08-2006, 05:39 AM

I'm still wondering about that also Nd2.

Nobody is more proud of Cincinnati Red Tradition than me.

Why can't we have pride in our past and still build for the future?

Jpup
02-08-2006, 06:47 AM
From the Philadelphia Daily News:

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/13818077.htm

Mike Arbuckle thought the sixth time might be the charm. No such luck.

Arbuckle, the Phillies' assistant general manager in charge of scouting and player development, was informed by Reds owner Bob Castellini that he would not be a finalist for their vacant GM job. The rumble from Cincinnati was that the Reds would opt for Jim Beattie, who has experience as a GM - something they value.

Arbuckle might have that experience, too, had the Phillies hired him instead of Ed Wade in 1998. Arbuckle was passed over again in November, after Wade was fired. He also has lost in his candidacies in Pittsburgh, Toronto and Boston.

He exited his interview with Castellini in Cincinnati upbeat and optimistic.

"I felt very good coming out of there," said Arbuckle, 55. "I'm a little discouraged. I thought this would be a very good fit."

Jpup
02-08-2006, 06:50 AM
From Chicago's Daily Herald:

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=151838

Sounds like White Sox exec Dave Wilder will lose out on the Cincinnati job to someone with GM experience. That’s bad news for Wilder, but good news for the Sox.

“If and when David — or Rick Hahn — becomes a GM, it’s going to make my job that much harder,’’ Sox GM Kenny Williams said. “They’re good at what they do, and they’re going to be out there looking for what we’re looking for, and it’s going to make it tougher for me.’’

Roy Tucker
02-08-2006, 07:34 AM
This is a little more fleshed out version of the base note article with a comment from Krivsky...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060208/SPT04/602080348/1078

Reds close in on GM
Decision likely by end of week
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Reds expect to have a new general manager in place by Friday, chief executive officer Bob Castellini said Tuesday.

The finalists from a list of nine candidates who interviewed will be called back for second interviews.

"It's somewhere in the neighborhood" of two or three finalists, Castellini said.

Wayne Krivsky, the Minnesota Twins' assistant general manager, and Jim Beattie, a Reds special adviser, are among the finalists, according to a baseball source. Both declined to comment Tuesday.

"I'm going to let it come from (Reds chief operating officer) John Allen," Krivsky said. "He's scheduling things."

Allen did not return a call Tuesday. But through a spokesman, Allen said the Reds would have no more announcements until the general manager is named.

Krivsky was the choice of many within the Reds organization in 2003, but Dan O'Brien got the job. O'Brien was fired Jan. 23.

Krivsky has been with the Twins since 1994 and helped make the small-market team competitive. Beattie was executive vice president of the Baltimore Orioles.

Mike Arbuckle, the Philadelphia Phillies assistant general manager, said Tuesday that he's out of the running: "They called me and said they were going in a different direction."

Two others - Atlanta assistant general manager Frank Wren and Johnny Almaraz, Reds director of international scouting and player development - said they've heard nothing since their interviews.

The other four candidates did not return calls Tuesday:

Brad Kullman, the Reds interim general manager.

Leland Maddox, Reds scout and former scouting director.

David Wilder, Chicago White Sox assistant general manager.

John Mozeliak, St. Louis assistant general manager.

Castellini said he's confident the Reds will make the right hire.

"We felt like we had the best people available in," he said.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

KronoRed
02-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Why can't we have pride in our past and still build for the future?
:clap:

Good question.

Why not a step out in a new direction?

nyjwagner
02-08-2006, 12:42 PM
To respond to a few of the precious posts: Ng likes the Dodgers and is happy there, and DePodesta, even for those who believe wholeheartedly in sabremetrics is the worst people manager in the world. He has absolutely NO comunications skills. He wont take phone calls ever. He is a great second banana, but not the one you want fielding offers or info ffrom his scouting dept, nor communicating to a scouting dept.

Wren is not liked by Schuerholz which as far as I am concerned is about as much of an idictman to his ability as I need.

Beattie is a good business man, but not a good baseball man. Could be fine, but most likely not for the Reds. They have John Allen they dont need another good businessman.

Please let it be Krivsky, please let it be Krivsky, Please let it be Krivsky....

Ron Madden
02-09-2006, 03:08 AM
I'll bet it's Krivsky.

Everyone in the local media wanted him the last time so John Allen cast his lot with him.

Ninety percent of the local media is still in the corner of Krivsky.

Casual fans and most of the local media would be happy if Tracy Jones got the job as long as Marty and Hal told'em that's who they wanted. ;)

Well it seems Krivsky is still on the list, Marty Hal and John are still here. It's pretty hard to bet against Krivsky at this point.

Well what do you know??? :evil:

KronoRed
02-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Did you bet on him though? ;)

Ron Madden
02-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Did you bet on him though? ;)

Nah, I was kinda pulling for Kullman. :)

Reds Nd2
02-10-2006, 07:32 PM
He is all for employing some of the moneyball philosophy but isn't so sure that saber is the saviour. He believes that using stats is one way to go about finding value but there are other methods and is looking to employ all of them.

I'm all for using any available means for finding value and judging talent, but I'm somewhat concerned if RCast isn't so sure about saber being the saviour of this team. IIRC, the Twins like to dive into the Rule V pool and I can see Krivsky doing the same thing here. Whatever method is used, I hope it's a good one.

Reds Nd2
02-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Well what do you know??? :evil:

Be careful. You'll hurt yourself that way. :laugh:

Ron Madden
02-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Be careful. You'll hurt yourself that way. :laugh:

Too late...My back hurts and I think I may have broken my arm. ;)