PDA

View Full Version : Brady Anderson admits to using "massive" doses of creatine

savafan
02-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Creatine? Really? I've taken a lot of creatine too, don't think I could hit 50 homeruns.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060207/SPORTS0101/602070323/-1/COLUMNS

Former Rochester Red Wings outfielder Brady Anderson will enter the Baltimore Orioles Hall of Fame this summer. He now admits that he began using "massive" doses of creatine entering the 1996 season (when he hit a Baltimore team-record 50 home runs) and doesn't appreciate those who define his career by that one uncharacteristic season

KronoRed
02-08-2006, 11:34 AM
You don't have a cool name like Brady though

flyer85
02-08-2006, 11:37 AM
I never woulda thought that.:rolleyes:

The perfect example of how big of a power boost you can get from steroids.

RedsManRick
02-08-2006, 12:08 PM
I'd love to see a study about the actual physical benefit from such self-medication or whatever you want to call it. I have a hunch that the primary effect is psychological, not physical. That is the increased level of condifence leads to a greater boost in performance than does the increase in physical strength & reaction time.

When "normal" hitters go in to a slump, or go on a streak, it's not usually due to some change in their physical makeup, but a combination of simple luck/random variation and psychological approach. The use of these substances leads to increased confidence and a more consistent approach.

Team Clark
02-08-2006, 12:12 PM
I remember the first time I ever saw Brady Anderson. I was walking out of the Orioles ST clubhouse through a main corridor to go talk to Charles Johnson. There was a weight room on the way out and as you walked by you always looked in to see who was in there. Brady always seemed to be in there. For that matter so was Cal Ripken. That's where Cal hid from everyone.

Cal and Brady were pretty tight and there was a group of guys that were in there either working out or stretching. That 2000 team had A LOT of guys that were exercise freaks. Scott Erickson, Jeff Conine, Brady, BJ Surhoff, Cal, Albert Belle (loved arm curls), Mike Bordick and Jason Johnson. You could count on seeing those guys in the weight room every day.

Brady was in phenomenal shape. I wish looked half as good as he did. When he wasn't lifting or hitting he would rollerblade. I do not recall anyone making a big deal about Creatine or anyone even mentioning it. I'm not sure Creatine was even a big deal yet. Could have been, I just don't remember.

Hap
02-08-2006, 01:59 PM
I do not have a medical degree or anything similar, but I am fairly certain that creatine does not increase muscle mass, it only helps it recover from workouts.

Creatine also can be used to mask the THC in your urine. I personally would know that, because I have cheated on and passed two urine tests while my THC levels were quite "high".

Team Clark
02-08-2006, 04:57 PM
I do not have a medical degree or anything similar, but I am fairly certain that creatine does not increase muscle mass, it only helps it recover from workouts.

Creatine also can be used to mask the THC in your urine. I personally would know that, because I have cheated on and passed two urine tests while my THC levels were quite "high".

Thanks for being honest.... As much as Brady worked out I could understand him using "massive doses".

klw
02-08-2006, 05:11 PM
My understanding of Creatine is that it delays the onset of lactic acid buildup in the muscles allowing an athlete to work harder for longer and recover faster. I believe it does also draws water into the muscles which can lead to fears of dehydration and cramping. (Though not sure if that is technically correct). I used creatine for a bit in 2000-01 while weightlifting and running. I found that I just did not get tired. Both times I started with it I put on about ten pounds in the first month. I found it just allowed me to work harder and even when running after a two hour lifting session, my running flourished. It could have been coincidence but I thought it helped.

M2
02-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Ken Caminiti famously claimed to love the creatine in 1996 as well.

RFS62
02-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Ken Caminiti famously claimed to love the creatine in 1996 as well.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same blend.

westofyou
02-08-2006, 06:58 PM
My understanding of Creatine is that it delays the onset of lactic acid buildup in the muscles allowing an athlete to work harder for longer and recover fasterYeah, I built a web site for a company that sells all that stuff, they also have a product that you take with the Creatine called "Joint Defense" it's for strengthing your joints because of the beating they take because you now can work out all the time because you're using Creatine.

Chip R
02-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Sammy was on some creatine around that time too. Just creatine, though. Nothing that was illegal in the US or the Dominican Republic. :rolleyes: