PDA

View Full Version : Krivsky To Be Named GM

Matt700wlw
02-08-2006, 03:30 PM
WAYNE KRIVSKY NAMED REDS GENERAL MANAGER

To Be Introduced At A Press Conference Tonight

CINCINNATI - Cincinnati Reds chief executive officer Bob Castellini today announced Wayne Krivsky as the club’s general manager. Krivsky signed a 2-year contract through the 2007 season with two 1-year mutual options.

Castellini will introduce Krivsky at a 6:00 p.m. ET press conference tonight in the field level interview room at Great American Ball Park.

Krivsky, 51, was selected from a field of eight announced candidates that also included Reds special advisor to the CEO Jim Beattie, Reds director of Major League operations Brad Kullman, Reds director of international scouting Johnny Almaraz, Reds special assistant to the GM Leland Maddox, Cardinals assistant general manager John Mozeliak, Phillies assistant general manager/scouting and player development Mike Arbuckle and Braves vice president/assistant general manager Frank Wren.

Krivsky is in his 30th season in a Major League Baseball front office. He has spent the last 27 years in baseball administration, including the last 25 as assistant or special assistant to general managers for the Texas Rangers and Minnesota Twins.

Krivsky brings to the organization 27 years of scouting and player evaluation experience at all levels of development. Since 1985 his duties have included extensive professional scouting.

In addition to his scouting experience, since 1981 Krivsky has been involved in the contract negotiations of Major League players and the preparation and resoluation of salary arbitration cases. He has a 25-year working knowledge of Major League Baseball’s rules and provisions of the Basic Agreement.

Krivsky began his baseball career in January 1977 in the ticket department of the Rangers. He joined the baseball operations department 2 years later as assistant director of player development and scouting.

In October 1980 Krivksy was promoted to assistant general manager and worked in that capacity for the Rangers until he was hired by the Twins in December 1994 as special assistant to general manager Terry Ryan. He was promoted to assistant general manager for the Twins on November 30, 1998 and spent more than 8 years in that position before he was hired by the Reds.

While with the Twins Krivsky assisted Ryan in negotiating contracts for Major League players, including salary arbitration cases and multi-year deals. He helped negotiate multi-year contracts for Twins stars Torii Hunter, Joe Mays, Corey Koskie, Jacque Jones and Shannon Stewart. Krivsky also worked on Brad Radke’s first multi-year deal.

While at Minnesota Krivsky was involved in all professional scouting, including coverage of National League teams, the Twins’ minor league affiliates, the Arizona Fall League and special assignments.

He represented the Twins organization at all Labor Relations meetings related to salary arbitration and assisted in formulating cases with club counsel. Krivsky also advised the Twins’ baseball department on waiver rules, rosters and the basic agreement.

EmtyRedsFan
02-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Just saw it on Channel 5..

Red Leader
02-08-2006, 03:32 PM
If true....

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

redsfan30
When?

Today?

savafan
Sweet Mucky Peanutty Shoe Goo!!!!

Excellent!

Elam
Good, he was the better of the final two , but i still don't know if he was the best of those interviewed.

Matt700wlw
02-08-2006, 03:33 PM
It's true.....

WAYNE KRIVSKY NAMED REDS GENERAL MANAGER

To Be Introduced At A Press Conference Tonight

CINCINNATI - Cincinnati Reds chief executive officer Bob Castellini today announced Wayne Krivsky as the club’s general manager. Krivsky signed a 2-year contract through the 2007 season with two 1-year mutual options.

Castellini will introduce Krivsky at a 6:00 p.m. ET press conference tonight in the field level interview room at Great American Ball Park.

Krivsky, 51, was selected from a field of eight announced candidates that also included Reds special advisor to the CEO Jim Beattie, Reds director of Major League operations Brad Kullman, Reds director of international scouting Johnny Almaraz, Reds special assistant to the GM Leland Maddox, Cardinals assistant general manager John Mozeliak, Phillies assistant general manager/scouting and player development Mike Arbuckle and Braves vice president/assistant general manager Frank Wren.

Krivsky is in his 30th season in a Major League Baseball front office. He has spent the last 27 years in baseball administration, including the last 25 as assistant or special assistant to general managers for the Texas Rangers and Minnesota Twins.

Krivsky brings to the organization 27 years of scouting and player evaluation experience at all levels of development. Since 1985 his duties have included extensive professional scouting.

In addition to his scouting experience, since 1981 Krivsky has been involved in the contract negotiations of Major League players and the preparation and resoluation of salary arbitration cases. He has a 25-year working knowledge of Major League Baseball’s rules and provisions of the Basic Agreement.

Krivsky began his baseball career in January 1977 in the ticket department of the Rangers. He joined the baseball operations department 2 years later as assistant director of player development and scouting.

In October 1980 Krivksy was promoted to assistant general manager and worked in that capacity for the Rangers until he was hired by the Twins in December 1994 as special assistant to general manager Terry Ryan. He was promoted to assistant general manager for the Twins on November 30, 1998 and spent more than 8 years in that position before he was hired by the Reds.

While with the Twins Krivsky assisted Ryan in negotiating contracts for Major League players, including salary arbitration cases and multi-year deals. He helped negotiate multi-year contracts for Twins stars Torii Hunter, Joe Mays, Corey Koskie, Jacque Jones and Shannon Stewart. Krivsky also worked on Brad Radke’s first multi-year deal.

While at Minnesota Krivsky was involved in all professional scouting, including coverage of National League teams, the Twins’ minor league affiliates, the Arizona Fall League and special assignments.

He represented the Twins organization at all Labor Relations meetings related to salary arbitration and assisted in formulating cases with club counsel. Krivsky also advised the Twins’ baseball department on waiver rules, rosters and the basic agreement.

Joseph
1360 is saying yes too :)

Matt700wlw
Can somebody merge these?

redsfan30
:beerme:

Red Leader
Hmm, no mention if Beattie will remain special advisor....I wonder.

savafan
02-08-2006, 03:34 PM
I just hope Krivsky isn't the guy responsible for the Twins signing Eric Milton

traderumor
02-08-2006, 03:36 PM
1360 is saying yes too :)I wondered why 1360 was taking the Hal article as gospel when Fay wrote later that it wasn't true. Dude, do a little homework.

Newport Red
02-08-2006, 03:39 PM
I won't believe it until he is fired in 5 years.

lollipopcurve
02-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Good news.

Nice scoop, McCoy.

markymark69
02-08-2006, 03:41 PM
I just hope Krivsky does not begin his press conference be thanking 130 plus people.

Johnny Footstool
02-08-2006, 03:41 PM
If this is true, is Beattie staying on as special advisor?

max venable
02-08-2006, 03:42 PM
If I remember correctly, Milton was pretty good when he was a Twin.

Aronchis
02-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Sounds like Cast had to "settle" for Krivisky. Though unlike DanO, Cast will give Krivisky everything he needs to be successfull and unlike DanO, hopefully he has the tools to make it happen.

This is his big shot. He was a B list candidate after the A list decided to snub the team. He has to produce or one of those A list guys will get the job in 2008.

Joseph
02-08-2006, 03:43 PM
I wondered why 1360 was taking the Hal article as gospel when Fay wrote later that it wasn't true. Dude, do a little homework.

I wondered that myself.

Reds4Life
02-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Good news.

Nice scoop, McCoy.

No kidding, I think it's time for Hal to retire.

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooo glad it's not Beattie.

Johnny Footstool
02-08-2006, 03:46 PM

Yep, at least for three or four years. Always HR prone, but he had a good strikeout rate and a WHIP around 1.25.

vaticanplum
02-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I can't even describe the difference in my feelings about this team relative to just a few weeks ago. And the team itself hasn't even changed since then.

Hooray hooray. I think this is a good choice.

M2
02-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Krivsky as GM? Why it's like 2003 has finally arrived.

Roy Tucker
02-08-2006, 03:48 PM
IIRC, the Twins traded Chuck Knoblauch to the Yankees for Milton, Cristian Guzman, and other parts. It was a good deal for the Twins, Milton had some good years there.

deltachi8
02-08-2006, 03:49 PM

pretty average perhapps.

flyer85
02-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Yep, for the first three or four years.Milton and his fat contract were unloaded at the right time, for an undervalued pitcher(Silva) who has been a decent starter the last two years. That was an excellent deal for the Twins.

redsfanmia
02-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Hope has been restored!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now maybe I wont be embarrased when I tell people im a Reds fan.

ed the red
02-08-2006, 03:50 PM
a few years to late. Welcome to the red nation. Let's bring a WORLD SERIES CHAMPION back to the NATI

Cigar2
02-08-2006, 03:51 PM
It's 2003 all over again.

Aronchis
02-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Milton and his fat contract were unloaded at the right time, for an undervalued pitcher(Silva) who has been a decent starter the last two years. That was an excellent deal for the Twins.

add that with the Loriano deal, they have made some good trades since Krivsky became Ass.GM. If they had a bigger payroll, they could have been World Champions by now.

Red Leader
02-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Let's hope Krivsky's first announcement is a 4 year deal for Adam Dunn.

Caveman Techie
02-08-2006, 03:54 PM
YES!!!! Faith restored in Mr. Cast. I was starting to get worried there for a little bit. I think Krivsky will be a good fit for Cincinnati even though he obviously wasn't the choice of a few local journalists.

Now let's find out if this new dog can hunt us up a team ERA that isn't laughable. :)

flyer85
02-08-2006, 03:56 PM
There is also the fleecing of the Giants that brought Nathan and Liriano and a farm system rated #6 by BA.

How much of that can Krivsky be credited for? Who knows. But at least he has been part of organization who has down a nice job of winning on a very limited budget.

vaticanplum
02-08-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm getting kind of giggly over the fact that at this moment, the two different Reds forums are led by two different headlines announcing two different GMs.

Peyton's Place
02-08-2006, 03:59 PM
I wonder if some of the thought process might be to retain Beattie as a special advisor and be available to Krivsky. I believe when in Balt. Beattie was a co-GM, so he is accustomed to working with someone else, and it also allows Krivsky to grow into the position with a bit of a safety net.

If I was Krivsky, I might be a little leery of Beattie based upon an unsuccessful track record, but other than that I am pretty pleased with the selection.

OldXOhio
02-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Great news. Further evidence on why the last two O'Brien years were a colossal waste of time.

wheels
02-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Thank goodness it wasn't Beattie.

Let's hope Wayno will bring some of that pitching mojo with him.

The Twins have some serious flamethrowers in their system.

Now let's just hope we don't see an influx of toolsy position players anytime soon. Young hitters like Joe Mauer and maybe Justin Morneau give me hope that it won't be the case.

guttle11
02-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Hal looks like an idiot!!!:jump:

Plus Cast chose the best candidate.

kbrake
02-08-2006, 04:02 PM
I am fine with the choice but I can not help but a feel a little bit bad for Kullman. I really hope he wasnt just saying the right thing about staying around. I would really like him to stay with the Reds.

flyer85
02-08-2006, 04:03 PM
I will be honest I thought Krivsky should have been the guy in 2003. He seemed more likely to succeed than DanO because at least he had experience winning with a small market club, something DanO never had. I was so disappointed as it quickly became apparent from DanO's very first news conference(and the 5 minute thank you list) that he was hopeless. I was even more disappointed when it was reported that DanO was not the choice of Allen and the organization but was an overrule that came down from Lindner.

flyer85
02-08-2006, 04:04 PM
It's 2003 all over again.I guess we better hope it's not as Yogi would say "deja vu all over again".

wheels
02-08-2006, 04:04 PM
I am fine with the choice but I can not help but a feel a little bit bad for Kullman. I really hope he wasnt just saying the right thing about staying around. I would really like him to stay with the Reds.

I think he's happy with the Reds. He didn't have to bring up staying, but he did. That tells me that he understood there was a good chance of him not being hired....He knew what he was getting into, and I think he's comfortable.

I just hope this doesn't mean he won't be answering our questions.

flyer85
02-08-2006, 04:06 PM
I am fine with the choice but I can not help but a feel a little bit bad for Kullman. I really hope he wasnt just saying the right thing about staying around. I would really like him to stay with the Reds.Hopefully he will stay and be part of building a winner. If so, he will get his chance to a GM at some point.

Reds Fanatic
02-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Very good news!! This organization may finally be starting to turn around.

DeadRedinCT
02-08-2006, 04:10 PM
So we had JimBo. Then DanO. Is it Krivo? Krivy? Krivaneggar?

savafan
02-08-2006, 04:10 PM
I just hope this doesn't mean he won't be answering our questions.

I think Brad will still be happy to answer the questions. FWIW, I've already sent Mr. Krivsky a welcome and informing him about Redszone.

savafan
02-08-2006, 04:11 PM
So we had JimBo. Then DanO. Is it Krivo? Krivy? Krivaneggar?

WayK

DeadRedinCT
02-08-2006, 04:13 PM
WayK

So it that pronounced "way-kay" or "wake"?

Anyway, your avatar scares the bejeebus out of me.

princeton
02-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Hopefully he will stay and be part of building a winner.

no offense but--

CLEAN HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flyer85
02-08-2006, 04:15 PM
I think Brad will still be happy to answer the questions. FWIW, I've already sent Mr. Krivsky a welcome and informing him about Redszone.
did you tell him

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the RedZone."

NYMoose
02-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Wayno

David Cubbedge
02-08-2006, 04:16 PM
I would go with "The Kriv"

Anyhow, I wonder if Krivsky may look at a guy like Liriano and try and get him in the Reds system. Maybe a trade that could be in line down the road.

First things first though, we have to get Dunn that LTC.

flyer85
02-08-2006, 04:17 PM
no offense but--

CLEAN HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I would agree on that with anyone to do with minor league development. Kullman certainly has shown a little potential in his dealing for Harang and Claussen. ANd he is a good interview as well.

In the end Krivsky should be given the authority to make whatever changes he deems necessary.

kbrake
02-08-2006, 04:19 PM
no offense but--

CLEAN HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you mean that by front office or players or both?

M2
02-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Hopefully as he makes his way to the podium they pipe in the "Wayne's World" theme song.

M2
02-08-2006, 04:21 PM
no offense but--

What, you don't think it would be a good plan to keep on a few DanO cronies and Tim Naehring?

princeton
02-08-2006, 04:21 PM
I'd ask everyone to write a resignation letter, and then to send me their resumes.

first resume to "file" being my boss's, John Allen's. It had to be a part of the deal.

but I assume that Allen's staying. How... impressive.

flyer85
02-08-2006, 04:23 PM
I'd ask everyone to write a resignation letter, and then to send me their resumes.

first resume to "file" being my boss's, John Allen's. It had to be a part of the deal.

but I assume that Allen's staying. How... impressive.I have no problem with Allen staying, as long he is back to doing the job he was trained for - counting beans.

Chip R
02-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Hopefully as he makes his way to the podium they pipe in the "Wayne's World" theme song.

Party time! Excellent!

RFS62
02-08-2006, 04:35 PM
The Twins have a culture of teaching the same technique up and down the minors. They take pride in their development philosophy, going back to the Tom Kelly days. They have a "Twins way".

Something we've been sorely lacking here, and when we do try, we get take the first pitch, pitch counts and tandem starters.

I'm psyched. This could be just what we need.

princeton
02-08-2006, 04:42 PM
I have no problem with Allen staying, as long he is back to doing the job he was trained for - counting beans.

I've heard this many times before.

Everyone's got to go

Aronchis
02-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Best to be patient with Wayne this year, as he slashes and burns, nasty old scares will show up.

I doubt it takes him months for "analysis" like O'brien, I think some trades may be made in the next few weeks, which could turn out to be quite unpopular(Freel, Pena and Kearns for example) as he tries to turn the Reds into his ideal model.

That means another probable "bad year" while he re-organizes.

Wheelhouse
02-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Doesn't seem like he was so involved with the Twins way though--he was a scout of other teams players, and kind of the man in the black hat arbitrator and contract negotiator for the Twinks. Was he involved in trades or mostly contracts? Is he a communicator?

lollipopcurve
02-08-2006, 04:47 PM
let's just hope we don't see an influx of toolsy position players anytime soon

Dunn was considered toolsy, as was Kearns. EdE is toolsy. So's Felipe. I wouldn't kick Wily Mo to the curb either. Torii Hunter? -- nothing but tools coming out of high school.

Willy
02-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Best to be patient with Wayne this year, as he slashes and burns, nasty old scares will show up.

I doubt it takes him months for "analysis" like O'brien, I think some trades may be made in the next few weeks, which could turn out to be quite unpopular(Freel, Pena and Kearns for example) as he tries to turn the Reds into his ideal model.

That means another probable "bad year" while he re-organizes.

I think he will take a couple of months to evaluate what he has throughout the organization, personel and player wise. Then we will see scouts, coaches, and front office personel hired and fired. Then come June we will see some player movement. I don't think he will do much until he has his personel in place.

reds44
02-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Yes!!!!!

traderumor
02-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Dunn was considered toolsy, as was Kearns. EdE is toolsy. So's Felipe. I wouldn't kick Wily Mo to the curb either. Torii Hunter? -- nothing but tools coming out of high school.Yea, but its cool to be anti-toolsy, but then its not cool to call someone a "ballplayer." I know I'm confused.

On a different note, I think Castellini showed with this hiring that a fear of being a Lindner crony may not be a major concern, since hiring Krivsky is basically saying "hey old man, you should have hired this guy in the first place." :thumbup:

gonelong
02-08-2006, 04:53 PM

Everyone's got to go

Agreed, if you leave to many people around, they become the defacto mentors to the "new guys" and you land pretty close to where you started way to often to chance it.

Burn it to the ground.

GL

Matt700wlw
02-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Everyone's got to go

Allen's status isn't up to Krivsky....it's up to Bobby

reds44
02-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Agreed, if you leave to many people around, they become the defacto mentors to the "new guys" and you land pretty close to where you started way to often to chance it.

Burn it to the ground.

GL
I agree with your agreement. We need to just tear it down before we can build it back up. I am very excited about the direction we are going as an organization, but does doesn't change the fact that we still are going to be bad this year. I would much rather have the Marlins roster right now then the Reds. We just need to stop trying to add so called "Pieces" to the puzzle, and just start over fresh.

I am very happy with Cas right now, and I trust he will do the right thing.

Aronchis
02-08-2006, 04:57 PM
You people way overrate Allen's role. He is helping Cast with the transition, but from a operational role, he isn't involved. Time to catch up people, things have changed.

princeton
02-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Allen's status isn't up to Krivsky....it's up to Bobby

It is now-- but it wasn't before Krivsky agreed to the job

if he didn't insist that Allen leave, then it's his first bad decision.

Allen's like Gollum. You may think that he's gone, but he'll pop up again and get you from behind

osuceltic
02-08-2006, 05:01 PM
I like it if he carries over what really is the Twins' model -- pitching and defense. Those Twins teams can flat pick it in the field. Fans always underrate this part of the game.

If he brings this philosophy, you'll see some significant roster turnover, because the Reds have below-average defenders at every position.

Aronchis
02-08-2006, 05:03 PM
I like it if he carries over what really is the Twins' model -- pitching and defense. Those Twins teams can flat pick it in the field. Fans always underrate this part of the game.

If he brings this philosophy, you'll see some significant roster turnover, because the Reds have below-average defenders at every position.

WMP and Kearns both may be jetisoned quickly, especially WMP.

traderumor
02-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Wayne Krivsky is the new GM. Press conference at 6 p.m.

The former Twins assistant GM gets a two-year contract with two one-year mutual options.I recall criticism of a three year deal with O'Brien from the standpoint of showing lack of confidence, as well as when Miley was hired. Am I understanding that Marc is saying he has two one year deals? What's that say?

Gallen5862
02-08-2006, 05:04 PM
This is great news that Krivsky was hired. I hope Beattie and Kulman stay in some capacity as well.

Team Clark
02-08-2006, 05:05 PM
The next release will probably read "One day after introducing new Reds General Manager Wayne Krivsky, the organization has announced that Assistant General manager Brad Kullman, Player Development staff Tim Naehring and Grant Griesser have all resigned." "Jim Beattie's personal service contract has also been terminated". Just my hunch.

Team Clark
02-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Burn it to the ground.GL

Trust me they will!!!!!!

Red Leader
02-08-2006, 05:06 PM
I recall criticism of a three year deal with O'Brien from the standpoint of showing lack of confidence, as well as when Miley was hired. Am I understanding that Marc is saying he has two one year deals? What's that say?

He has a 2 year deal. After two years he has a pair of mutual option years. Meaning if both options are picked up, he will be here 4 years. But he is here 2 years minimum. I think its a good contract. Don't want to go too long guaranteed if it doesn't work out, but want to have some control if he is doing very well.

Matt700wlw
02-08-2006, 05:07 PM
I recall criticism of a three year deal with O'Brien from the standpoint of showing lack of confidence, as well as when Miley was hired. Am I understanding that Marc is saying he has two one year deals? What's that say?

could be up to a 4 year deal including the options...

Team Clark
02-08-2006, 05:07 PM
You people way overrate Allen's role. He is helping Cast with the transition, but from a operational role, he isn't involved. Time to catch up people, things have changed.

His role has been reduced but his presence is strong. Got to go. He can take all of his double talk and misfortunes with him.

Aronchis
02-08-2006, 05:09 PM
His role has been reduced but his presence is strong. Got to go. He can take all of his double talk and misfortunes with him.

Just because you have a "presence" doesn't mean much. Unless he talked Cast into hiring Krivsky, I see him as a transitional figure that will be gone soon enough.

OnBaseMachine
02-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Great news! I was getting down after reading the Beattie report, but this has made my day. Finally they make a good decision.

:thumbup:

traderumor
02-08-2006, 05:20 PM
could be up to a 4 year deal including the options...I wondered, doesn't seem to be worded right, maybe it's just me

Falls City Beer
02-08-2006, 05:26 PM

Everyone's got to go

They'd be nuts not to lobby hard to keep Kullman around.

Clean sweeps sound wonderful in a kind of abstruse, disaffected Paris Commune philosopher kind of way--but talent, of course, is where you find it.

nyjwagner
02-08-2006, 05:27 PM

The Twins got Milton from the Yanks in the Knobloch trade....he was just a throw-in and he did well in that park....

nyjwagner
02-08-2006, 05:31 PM
On a different note, I think Castellini showed with this hiring that a fear of being a Lindner crony may not be a major concern, since hiring Krivsky is basically saying "hey old man, you should have hired this guy in the first place." :thumbup:

Exactly. Its what he's telling us too.....there is most definitely a new sheriff in town!

steig
02-08-2006, 05:36 PM
very nice, let's hope he is given enough resources and time to make the changes needed in cincinnati.

Caveat Emperor
02-08-2006, 05:46 PM
It'll be interesting to see Wayne does.

He obviously had a plan that he sold Castellini on that was sufficient not only to convince him that he could make this team competitive, but also strong enough to overcome "good old boy" bias with candidates like Beattie (who had Casty's ear during the search process) and Mozeliak (who had worked in a previous Casty regime). I'd love to have been a fly on the wall at the 2nd interview today to hear what he said that sold himself well enough to have an announcement made on the same day.

He's got his work cut out for him and not a lot of tools to do the job with, that's for certain.

westofyou
02-08-2006, 05:52 PM
“I always said if I was ever to go run another organization, I would fire everyone no matter what, and then hire everybody back that I wanted. So they understand that they are there because of me. Otherwise your loyalties are not very good. Fellows, thinking, ”Well he didn’t bring me in.”

Bob Howsam

RFS62
02-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Wayne's World isn't a pleasant place right now. He's got the worst pitching staff in baseball and the next to last farm system.

He's got his work cut out for him.

M2
02-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Wayne's World isn't a pleasant place right now. He's got the worst pitching staff in baseball and the next to last farm system.

Like, if our pitchers sucked any more they'd collapse upon themselves.

Aronchis
02-08-2006, 06:03 PM

No talk about the defense? That probably bothers Wayne the most;)

KronoRed
That would be something to see.

I'm pleasantly surprised it's Krivsky, I was sure that Beattie had it from day one

Chip R
Like, if our pitchers sucked any more they'd collapse upon themselves.

Talk about your giant sucking sound.

westofyou
02-08-2006, 06:04 PM
No talk about the defense? That probably bothers Wayne the most;)
Without a carpet it drops down on his GM wish list.

If bad pitching was oil the Reds would be the Middle East.

Aronchis
02-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Without a carpet it drops down on his GM wish list.

If bad pitching was oil the Reds would be the Middle East.

Good point, but I put it in the context of a NFL coach and bad punting. It may not be the most important issue to fix, but it bothers them the most.

CincyRedsFan30
02-08-2006, 06:09 PM
I like when eveverything works out as expected, especially in this case. :)

wheels
02-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Wayne's getting a little choked up.

He's only thanking three people.....

A sign?

WVRed
02-08-2006, 06:11 PM
This is boring me to death.

Reds4Life
02-08-2006, 06:12 PM
I see Wayne's public speaking skills are as great as RCast's. ;)

Reds Fanatic
02-08-2006, 06:13 PM
As usual WLW cuts off the press conference

wheels
02-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Says he's going to use the Twins model.

wheels
02-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Says he's gonna need a scotch after the presser.

I'm starting to like him.

RFS62
02-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Says he's gonna need a scotch after the presser.

I'm starting to like him.

DanO was all form and no substance.

Krivsky seems to be the opposite so far.

We'll see about the substance over time.

PickOff
Time to change your signature, wheels.:)

Matt700wlw
1360 not cutting away...WLW will take calls (with the Bad Boy)

wheels
02-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Time to change your signature, wheels.:)

I'm deliberating as we speak.

wheels
02-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Sounds like Dean Taylor's gonna be sticking around.

....Sigh.

KronoRed
02-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Boo clean house

KoryMac5
02-08-2006, 06:24 PM
I like the hiring very much. Let's see what Cast lets him do now. Fortunately for Wayne he is used to dealing with a small market team, so I think he will get the most out of his buck. He's probably already on the phone trying to deal the albatross that is Eric Milton.

Chip R
02-08-2006, 06:25 PM
As usual WLW cuts off the press conference

Well, they had to get the traffic and weather update in there. Things may have changed in 10 minutes. :evil:

PickOff
02-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Waynesky! :clap: Waynesky! :clap: Waynesky!

Rounding Third
02-08-2006, 06:36 PM
700 WLW now is taking calls.

WAYNESKY!!

traderumor
02-08-2006, 06:40 PM
1360 not cutting away...WLW will take calls (with the Bad Boy)Once again, Matt--flagship station of the Reds. Yell that in someone's ear. I didn't even tune in to 700, just went to 1360 this time after 700 cut away from the INTRODUCTION OF THE NEW OWNER OF THE CINCINNATI REDS, THE PRODUCT THAT MAKES OR BREAKS THE STATION.

Whew, sorry to take that out on you, Matt. I still think 700 needs the boot, give it to a station that wants it and understands who butters their bread.

membengal
02-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Once again, Matt--flagship station of the Reds. Yell that in someone's ear. I didn't even tune in to 700, just went to 1360 this time after 700 cut away from the INTRODUCTION OF THE NEW OWNER OF THE CINCINNATI REDS, THE PRODUCT THAT MAKES OR BREAKS THE STATION.

Whew, sorry to take that out on you, Matt. I still think 700 needs the boot, give it to a station that wants it and understands who butters their bread.

Yeah, seconded. My tale of woe: Memphis is a long way from Cincinnati, but on these clear winter's nights, I can pull WLW in on the drive home. Left work early to time my drive with the presser, happy for 15 minutes, but right about the time it appeared he might say something substantively interesting, you tools on WLW cut away.

So, to people who live within 35 miles of Cincy and can pull in 1360, did he say anything of interest after the cutaway on WLW?

Thanks.

KittyDuran
02-08-2006, 06:59 PM
So, to people who live within 35 miles of Cincy and can pull in 1360, did he say anything of interest after the cutaway on WLW?
I live about 30 miles away and 1360 goes static right before 6pm - so I couldn't help you...:(

Chip R
02-08-2006, 07:00 PM
I live about 30 miles away and 1360 goes static right before 6pm - so I couldn't help you...:(

That'd be a good station to put the Reds games on then.

KronoRed
02-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Put the traffic on 1360 and the sports on 700?

;)

pedro
02-08-2006, 07:08 PM

Thanks.

I listened to it online on 1360 after wlw cut away. IIRC, he didn't say much. Talked about how much he admired Terry Ryan, mentioned that the Reds pitching sucked, said that the Reds had adequate payroll to succeed if they were managed correctly. Talked about how the Rangers traded Dave Righetti for Sparky Lyle in 1978 and how that was stupid. That's all I can really remember.

KittyDuran
02-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Put the traffic on 1360 and the sports on 700?

;)There ya go... I don't listen to WLW for traffic anyway - I go with WGRR.

KittyDuran
02-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Brenneman on Basketball??? (right now on WLW w/Lance)

RFS62
02-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Well, listening to the K man's acceptance speech, I'm pretty sure he didn't sweet talk his way into this job.

He's the anti-DanO so far.

Aronchis
02-08-2006, 07:24 PM
It is pretty much:
Thank you for job, Reds bad team, we have alot of work to do. Thank you;)

NewEraReds
02-08-2006, 07:33 PM
i know this will probably get moved, but i just was driving home from work and heard its krivisky. THANK YOU.

anyone else think they are MORE happy now thats its krivisky than they would have originally been if the beattie rumor hadnt happened :) not that i wouldnt have been happy, he wasnt my top choice, but he was up there. i just think im even more happy cause that is how much i didnt want beattie.

if you move this thread, cool, i just only have a few min to post and wanted to post my happiness :)

i just hope we bring back the tradition, the love of the team and all the fan/team interaction, good feelings, etc. embrace the past and strive for a better and brighter and more exciting future

NewEraReds
02-08-2006, 07:47 PM
The Twins have a culture of teaching the same technique up and down the minors. They take pride in their development philosophy, going back to the Tom Kelly days. They have a "Twins way".

Something we've been sorely lacking here, and when we do try, we get take the first pitch, pitch counts and tandem starters.

I'm psyched. This could be just what we need.
agree 100%. i think cleveland is doing a great job of that now too. la in the past. i think its very important, especially small markets. build it up from top to bottom with the same goals in mind and same technique and teach pride in the organization

NewEraReds
02-08-2006, 07:49 PM
The next release will probably read "One day after introducing new Reds General Manager Wayne Krivsky, the organization has announced that Assistant General manager Brad Kullman, Player Development staff Tim Naehring and Grant Griesser have all resigned." "Jim Beattie's personal service contract has also been terminated". Just my hunch.
NAEHRING NEEDS TO GO!!!!! in fact, everyone in the minors, involved in the minors, NEEDS TO GO!!!!

NewEraReds
02-08-2006, 07:51 PM

Not to mention and absolutely horrible defense. we are the exact opp of the twins.

WVRedsFan
02-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Trust me they will!!!!!!

Hope you're right, TC. Everyone is in love with Kullman right now, but unless the GM makes his own "team"--guys he's comfortable with--he'll never be successful. Everyone should go until Wayno (couldn't resist) has his team in place.

And all bets are off on Narron and Allen. It could go either way, but I get the feeling that Robert C wants everything that would remind folks of 2001-2005 gone.

"And the crowd cheered,
I even saw a grown man cry"

--John Stewart, "Mother Country," 1969

NewEraReds
02-08-2006, 07:54 PM
I listened to it online on 1360 after wlw cut away. IIRC, he didn't say much. Talked about how much he admired Terry Ryan, mentioned that the Reds pitching sucked, said that the Reds had adequate payroll to succeed if they were managed correctly. Talked about how the Rangers traded Dave Righetti for Sparky Lyle in 1978 and how that was stupid. That's all I can really remember.
its all how you spend it. one reason i dont like signing dunn for so much. when you have a low payroll, its tough to have a great 25 man roster when 1 guy makes so much.

Chip R
02-08-2006, 08:26 PM
its all how you spend it. one reason i dont like signing dunn for so much. when you have a low payroll, its tough to have a great 25 man roster when 1 guy makes so much.

It is but you have to pay the price for that kind of talent. Hopefully Wayne is not foole enough to pay a Milton $8M a year or a Graves $6M. Even Womack at $2M (IIRC) is a waste. We had Dunn for 3 years at our price. Now he's basically getting market value. Even with the Reds payroll you can have several guys making big money as long as you have others making relatively little money. We won't ever have a payroll on a par with the Yankees or Red Sox. But we don't need to.

cincinnati chili
02-08-2006, 08:41 PM
If they'd only listened to John Allen a few years ago:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060208&content_id=1308714&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

The last time the Reds sought a GM, in 2003 to replace Jim Bowden, O'Brien and Krivsky were both finalists for the job. Back then, Krivsky was believed to be the choice of several people within the organization, including chief operating officer John Allen. Former majority owner Carl Lindner overruled them and selected O'Brien.

Nugget
02-08-2006, 09:12 PM

According to Marc's blog RCast has stated that Beattie is no longer with the REDS. His special assignment regarding the pitching is over and he didn't get the job.

Also it would appear that Kullman was not at the announcement although Marc indicated that nothing should be read into it as he had a family commitment.

Interesting pit of trivia on Krivsky's history is that he was once hired by Dan O'Brien snr.

I agree that Krivsky was the best candidate and the REDS have probably come up with someone who fits the billing as to a mix between scouting and statistics and understands both as well as managing a small market big league club.

johngalt
02-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Methinks next week will have its share of press releases on personnel matters as well.

Aronchis
02-08-2006, 09:17 PM
I bet Krivsky interview with Lindner went like this: Lindner's fictional office
Lindner: Welcome Mr. Krivsky, take a seat.
Krivsky: Thank you Mr. Lindner(sitting straight up, steely eyed)
Lindner: Well, John and my baseball advisers speak very highly of you
Krivsky: Thank you Mr. Lindner
Lindner: so Wayne,may I call you "Wayne"(Krivsky nods), what will you bring to the Cincinnati Reds?
Krivsky: Well Mr. Lindner......
Lindner: Call me Carl
Krivsky: Carl then.......I have only looked at a little of the Reds organization, but we have a major problem, it is a mess, a disaster. We need to fire everybody and everything. It is horrid, atrocious, it is like a Hurricane went through. We need to overhaul EVERYTHING! When I helped Ryan build up the Twins, we did so with a personal philosophy of defense, pitching and hard work. Here it is power......and that is it. You don't have a pitching philosophy and your power hitters like that.....well......like that Pena guy. Strong as a ox, needs some plate discipline, but the man can't play defense. Yet, he is your 4th outfielder and future star? The guy is a DH Carl. Why hasn't he been traded yet? I...........
Lindner: cough cough
Krivsky: want to know who developes your draft plan for pitchers and minor league development? They are a bunch of undisciplined arm throwers, good gravy........talking about gravy, players like Danny Graves and Sean Casey(brrrrrrr) need to be traded, Graves arm is probably shot and Casey, well.......he..........get some value for them while you still can.......
Lindner: (hacks a loogy into the trash can)......sorry Wayne, but I have heard enough crit...er for now. I will decide after interviewing Mr. O'brien..thank you
Krivsky: Don't you want to hear my plan for rebuilding? I just told you the problems?
Lindner: oh no Mr. Krivsky, I have heard quite enough.......
(Krivsky leaves the room with John Allen giving him the thumbs up sign, Krivsky shrugs. Dan O'brien enters holding a bottle of scotch, 20 binders that Allen helps him take inside......................................the rest is history;)

vaticanplum
02-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Castellini hands over the reins in the form of a baseball. Hot dang there guys, don't get too excited!

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060209/capt.ohab10402090014.reds_krivsky_baseball_ohab104 .jpg?x=380&y=280&sig=65irN3xVGq_VmbANiQutkg--

savafan
02-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Pretty popular move. According to the poll in the link below, currently 90.84% of the fans who've taken the poll like this decision.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060208/SPT04/302080013/1071

WVRedsFan
02-08-2006, 11:38 PM
91.09% favorable now. Bob has the mandate now. Trading anyone is not out of the question...or is it?

I look for some moves as soon as Friday.

KronoRed
02-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Dan O'brien enters holding a bottle of scotch, 20 binders that Allen helps him take inside......................................the rest is history;)
So he carried scotch in the binders?

Brilliant! ;)

Krusty
02-09-2006, 12:47 AM
Hope you're right, TC. Everyone is in love with Kullman right now, but unless the GM makes his own "team"--guys he's comfortable with--he'll never be successful. Everyone should go until Wayno (couldn't resist) has his team in place.

And all bets are off on Narron and Allen. It could go either way, but I get the feeling that Robert C wants everything that would remind folks of 2001-2005 gone.

"And the crowd cheered,
I even saw a grown man cry"

--John Stewart, "Mother Country," 1969

Are the Reds willing to eat a few more contracts in order for Krivsky to hire his own people?

johngalt
02-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Hey Wheels - clear out some of your PMs so I can reply. :)

(Sorry that this is completely off topic, but I gotta get a hold of the man.)

wheels
02-09-2006, 01:10 AM
Hey Wheels - clear out some of your PMs so I can reply. :)

(Sorry that this is completely off topic, but I gotta get a hold of the man.)

Done.

fourrunhomer
02-09-2006, 09:45 AM
WMP and Kearns both may be jetisoned quickly, especially WMP.

Kearns may be traded, but I don't think it will be because of his defense. I've never really heard anyone down his ability in the field.
Pena on the other hand: The man can amaze you with an unbelievable catch and then on the next play not even be able to see the can of corn falling from the sky. The bright side is I didn't see as many bone head plays from him this past season as in previous ones.

flyer85
02-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Are the Reds willing to eat a few more contracts hopefully ... start with releasing Tony Womack and I will know they are on the right track.

fourrunhomer
02-09-2006, 10:16 AM
I believe the Reds have made the right move. I'm also glad that Beattie is not sticking around. But, I am not for axeing everyone from the get go. I hope it works out that Kullman gets the chance to stick around. I think he has earned that much and seems to know his stuff. I wasn't in favor of him getting the GM job because I thought the team needed someone from the outside but I believe he is an asset to the team. I agree that Krivsky should bring in his own people, but that he will probably evaluate who is already with the organization to see who may fit. I'm sure it won't take long for him to make his evaluations. There are actually some good people in the organization. As much as I'd like to see Kullman stay, I can see where there may be potential for jealousy or bad blood. If that turns out to be the case, I'm sure that Krivsky will be competent enough to get rid of him. Or for that matter, Kullman is probably smart enough to leave for his own good and that of the team.
As for Narron, I think his job is safe for now. He did well with what he was given last year, but he will have to prove himself from the start of the season in order to keep his job.

fourrunhomer
02-09-2006, 10:17 AM
hopefully ... start with releasing Tony Womack and I will know they are on the right track.

I predict that either him or Freel will not be with this team come April

KronoRed
02-09-2006, 10:18 AM
hopefully ... start with releasing Tony Womack and I will know they are on the right track.
Word.

Dump the junk, Aurilia as a BACKUP, inform Narron that EE should be given every chance at 3rd and old vets need to be used as old backups.

RFS62
02-09-2006, 10:19 AM
It's tough to axe everyone now, as most of the talent pool for replacements has already hooked up with a team for this season.

KronoRed
02-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Womack can be replaced by..well really by anyone.

flyer85
02-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Womack can be replaced by..well really by anyone.PECOTA projects Womack for a -8.7 VORP in 2006 which means he can be replaced by

"well REALLY by anyone".

NewEraReds
02-09-2006, 01:06 PM
It is but you have to pay the price for that kind of talent. Hopefully Wayne is not foole enough to pay a Milton $8M a year or a Graves $6M. Even Womack at $2M (IIRC) is a waste. We had Dunn for 3 years at our price. Now he's basically getting market value. Even with the Reds payroll you can have several guys making big money as long as you have others making relatively little money. We won't ever have a payroll on a par with the Yankees or Red Sox. But we don't need to.
my point though is, with a 25 man roster, do you want 1 guy making up almost a 6th of the total payroll? i dont. no matter the talent. unless you can raise the payroll. if you pay dunn that, that means other positions will be worse cause we cant afford to pay more for them. i understand your reasoning behind dunn being worth it, im not saying he isnt. he def is. im just saying i dont know if it is smart for a small market team to have one player making so much

Chip R
02-09-2006, 02:02 PM
my point though is, with a 25 man roster, do you want 1 guy making up almost a 6th of the total payroll? i dont. no matter the talent. unless you can raise the payroll. if you pay dunn that, that means other positions will be worse cause we cant afford to pay more for them. i understand your reasoning behind dunn being worth it, im not saying he isnt. he def is. im just saying i dont know if it is smart for a small market team to have one player making so much

I'm not necessarily talking just about Dunn. I'm talking about anybody who would fit that description. You can't just keep saying, "Oh, we have a small payroll so we can't afford a guy once he makes X amount of money." Smart teams find a way to afford the high priced player and supplement him with enough talent to win. Oakland does a good job of that. They chose to re-sign Eric Chavez to a big money deal and their payroll is on about a par as the Reds. Their secret is being able to identify and develop young, cheap pitching talent and then flip that talent for even more talent when they get too pricey. The Reds problem is that their minor league pitching is awful.