PDA

View Full Version : What happens to Brad Kullman?

bunter
02-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Since I have no life I was checking out the Reds website and looked at the front office roster and noticed that they already had Krivsky listed as the GM but the Brad Kullman was nowhere to be seen. I hadn't heard anything and wondered if he was or is all the way out.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=cin

westofyou
02-08-2006, 09:02 PM
What happens to Brad Kullman?

If he's smart he'll forward on those questions for the GM that RZ sent him the other day.

savafan
02-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Yep, Jim Beattie isn't on that list either.

cincinnati chili
02-08-2006, 11:29 PM
If Kullman stuck around after DanO demoted him, I have to think he'll give Krivsky a shot. I don't have any reason to believe he'll get the boot under Krivsky/RCast.

Nugget
02-08-2006, 11:30 PM
Marc's blog contains information about both.

Beattie is supposedly gone from the REDS and Kullman is still their even though he didn't attend the announcement due to family commitments.

savafan
02-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Perhaps then just an oversight by whomever does the Reds web site?

CincyRedsFan30
02-08-2006, 11:42 PM
It probably is just a "transition period" issue. Kullman was listed on there as the interim GM before Krivsky was officially named as the GM and I suspect whoever put Wayne's name there just didn't put Brad's name back in the spot it was in before (which was under the same category Maddox and those guys are under).

johngalt
02-09-2006, 01:15 AM
He's listed on there now. Not sure if it was an accidental mistake during the update, but in either case, they have him listed again.

missionhockey21
02-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Perhaps someone who is in charge of that checked this thread out because Kullman is back on the page listed as director of Major League operations. I got a little worried there earlier when I saw this.

Hopefully Krivsky will realize that Kullman is a bright baseball mind and will take the time to get his opinion often.

buckeyenut
02-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Marc's blog contains information about both.

Beattie is supposedly gone from the REDS and Kullman is still their even though he didn't attend the announcement due to family commitments.
That part about Beattie being gone is interesting. If he is gone, what was he brought in for, unless it was to get a leg up on the GM job? And if that was why he was brought in, Krivisky getting the job over him is even more impressive.

savafan
02-09-2006, 11:46 AM
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060209/SPT05/602090324/1027

By Marc Lancaster
Post staff reporter

When Bob Castellini hired Jim Beattie as a special adviser two and a half weeks ago, it was with a specific task in mind.

The former Montreal Expos and Baltimore Orioles general manager - and major league pitcher - would evaluate the Reds' pitching at all levels, "from soup to nuts," and give the new CEO an assessment of what worked and what didn't.

Beattie completed the task in the agreed-upon two-week time frame, but that turned out to be the end of his work with the Reds. Castellini said Wednesday that the other finalist for the job that went to Wayne Krivsky would not remain with the organization.

"No, he's not," Castellini said. "But I was very grateful for his special advisory help the last two weeks, he's been great. He's a great baseball man and a great individual. He'll be a general manager again."

Beattie had the most top-level experience among the nine known candidates for the job, and many considered him the favorite going in. He met Castellini through a mutual friend, Boston Red Sox president Larry Lucchino, and came highly recommended. As the interview process unwound, Beattie acquitted himself well enough to make the final round, but couldn't take the final step.

Some around baseball compared Beattie's management style to that of the man he was vying to replace, Dan O'Brien. The Dartmouth-educated Beattie was known in his previous stops for his methodical decision-making, a trait that might not have meshed well in the long run with the more visceral Castellini.

Though Beattie didn't get the job, his report on the Reds' pitching woes proved helpful to Castellini, even if the CEO declined to get into its specifics.

"I learned a lot," Castellini said. "But I don't know whether I can answer that question and not be overly critical of our pitching staff (in the past)."

princeton
02-09-2006, 12:07 PM
"I don't know whether I can answer that question and not be overly critical of our pitching staff (in the past)."

well, duh

Chip R
02-09-2006, 12:50 PM
"I don't know whether I can answer that question and not be overly critical of our pitching staff (in the past)."

well, duh

How can you be overly critical of the pitching? I didn't think such a thing was possible.

TeamBoone
02-09-2006, 06:36 PM
That part about Beattie being gone is interesting. If he is gone, what was he brought in for, unless it was to get a leg up on the GM job? And if that was why he was brought in, Krivisky getting the job over him is even more impressive.

Supposedly to analyze the pitching situation. Regardless of what the article says, I can't believe such a daunting task could be accomplished in such a short timeframe. How many pitchers total are there in the Reds organization at all levels? At least 50?

I'd be more inclined to think he just up and quit when he wasn't hired for the GM position (perhaps HE is the one who thought this short-term task would give him a leg up).

westofyou
02-09-2006, 06:39 PM
he couldn't possibly have completed that in 2-3 weeks.

Sure he could have. It's not like he had to do a in-depth study. He just had to watch some film talk to some folks and look at the team ERA.

Crap is crap and it's always going to be crap even if it looks less like crap because it's winter.

RedsManRick
02-09-2006, 06:40 PM
If his only job was to aggregate/organize scouting reports & stats, give some basic analysis of the pitching talent in the organization, and provide recommendations, two weeks is plenty of time to accomlpish that. We're only talking about what, 100 pitchers top? Seems like a fairly straight forward task to me.

What other things do you think he was doing?

westofyou
02-09-2006, 06:43 PM
What other things do you think he was doing?

Building a pitching Golem

http://www.rotten.com/library/occult/golem/golem1.jpg

TeamBoone
02-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Will he still answer the questions that are going to be submitted?

westofyou
02-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Never mind I misunderstood..

KronoRed
02-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Will he still answer the questions that are going to be submitted?
Or pass them on to Krivy?

RedLegSuperStar
02-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Since I have no life I was checking out the Reds website and looked at the front office roster and noticed that they already had Krivsky listed as the GM but the Brad Kullman was nowhere to be seen. I hadn't heard anything and wondered if he was or is all the way out.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=cin

From the other Reds board it sounds as if he is fired.

JinAZ
02-09-2006, 08:08 PM
I'm pretty surprised by this. If anything, I expected Kullman to resign, as Castellini was very positive about Brad when he did his press conference only a few weeks ago. Maybe Bob got frustrated by the Tony Womack comments. :)

Still, as was said in the other thread, if Krivsky wants to bring in his own people, he absolutely should. The front office has not worked since before JimBo left, so I certainly can't object to removing the people who have been in charge and starting fresh.
-Jinaz

kbrake
02-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Absolute best wishes to Kullman. It was nice to have someone so open towards the media and fan even if it was only for a few weeks. Difference between him and O'Brien on communication skills was day and night. Well baseball skills for that matter too.

RedLegSuperStar
02-09-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm sure he will be employeed soon.. probably by the start of the season. he has a good baseball mind.

NewEraReds
02-09-2006, 09:20 PM
i think we are seeing the start of most everyone going. krivsky and cast have been a part of WINNING organization and know what it takes. most in our organization are the exact opp. the only thing is, they may not all happen now. cause we wont be able to get the guys krivsky wants till maybe next off season.

missionhockey21
02-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Hopefully Krivsky will realize that Kullman is a bright baseball mind and will take the time to get his opinion often.
Way K, I get it man. I didn't take your advice to see "Good Night and Good Luck" over "Big Momma's House 2" (if any movie deserved a sequel, I thought it was that) but that's no reason to do something like this to show me my opinion isn't worth two cents. ;)

Seriously, I understand the clean house theory (and without question this bunch of apples that we have had for years have been stinking up the place) but I really think another team will appreciate Kullman's talents and I wish him the best of luck. I loved the attitude I saw from him and hopefully we haven't seen the last of him (but in the AL.... just in case of course.)

Nugget
02-09-2006, 10:36 PM
For those who haven't - you gotta read the thread over in ORG. Its a classic. But what is a definition of a "baseball guy". My definition is one who knows how to play, the workings of the leagues, basically lives and breathes the game and knows a few stats (but doesn't everyone). More importantly, really couldn't get another job outside baseball.

Go TC!

Team Clark
02-09-2006, 10:56 PM
For those who haven't - you gotta read the thread over in ORG. Its a classic. But what is a definition of a "baseball guy". My definition is one who knows how to play, the workings of the leagues, basically lives and breathes the game and knows a few stats (but doesn't everyone). More importantly, really couldn't get another job outside baseball.

Go TC!

Thanks. People are still trying to convince me Kullman is worth having around. C'Mon. Would you want Manson doing knife tricks at your Birthday party???

flyer85
02-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Would you want Manson doing knife tricks at your Birthday party???You made your point. Piling on serves no purpose. We know you don't like him and enjoy the fact he is gone. Nuff said.

For myself it is as simple as Krivsky should hire his own people and he should be comfortable with those that will be working for him.

hebron_cougar
02-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Looks like Krivisky is going to clean house, long overdue. I hope everything changes, the Reds need an entirely new direction.

Nugget
02-09-2006, 11:11 PM
On that point I have a question and it may not be answered.

Is it a Krivsky firing or an RCast firing. I know that all the circumstantial evidence would lead us to believe that it was a Krivsky firing given the timing etc., but given RCast didn't say anything at the announcement other than Kullman wasn't present because of personal reasons.

flyer85
02-09-2006, 11:19 PM
On that point I have a question and it may not be answered.

Is it a Krivsky firing or an RCast firing. I know that all the circumstantial evidence would lead us to believe that it was a Krivsky firing given the timing etc., but given RCast didn't say anything at the announcement other than Kullman wasn't present because of personal reasons.I would hope it is Krivsky. I sure hope RC doesn't hire a GM and then not allow to make the personnel decisions.

westofyou
02-09-2006, 11:24 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Just talked briefly with Brad Kullman, who was kind enough to call me back on a difficult night. He was still pretty emotional, but gracious to the Reds and to Krivsky. There was no cloak-and-dagger treachery at work here; Krivsky simply wants to put his own people in place, and one person he apparently has in mind would be in the job Kullman was doing.

"He could have stuck me down the hall and told me, 'You can be the computer guy. If you don’t like it, quit,'" said Kullman. "He didn’t do that to me, and I definitely appreciate that."

Kullman mentioned that he was thankful Dan O'Brien gave him a shot to stay on in a significant role two years ago, even though the two had no prior ties. Most of the people in every front office in baseball serve at the pleasure of the GM at the time, and they all know any change at the top inevitably has a trickle-down effect. Kullman survived it in 2003, but not this time.

"I respect that part of the game and understand it," he said. "But it doesn’t make it any easier."

Gee... I wonder if he'll be a "baseball guy"

Nugget
02-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Hey looks like Kullman has had the computer guy job offerred to him before.

And it looks like the blog indirectly answers the question - it was a Krivsky fire.

So it looks like Krivsky has go someone in mind for Director of Baseball Operations. Interesting that Kullman wasn't offerred an Special Assistant to the GM or something.

westofyou
02-09-2006, 11:35 PM
So it looks like Krivsky has go someone in mind for Director of Baseball Operations.

Let's hope he doesn't what know what linux or Xhtml is, but can tell you where the best place to shoot beaver in Omaha is.

Nugget
02-09-2006, 11:41 PM
I don't think you will need a saber guru to be director of baseball operations. Then you don't need to be good old boy either. Although it would be good to know exactly what director of baseball operations does. Presumably its not the chief scout or the manager. If its purely an administrative role that he probably won't need to know what xhtml or linux is but will need to know how to produce a spreadsheet and know windows.

Mario-Rijo
02-09-2006, 11:46 PM
Krivsky simply wants to put his own people in place, and one person he apparently has in mind would be in the job Kullman was doing.

Leland Maddox perhaps?

Team Clark
02-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Let's hope he doesn't what know what linux or Xhtml is, but can tell you where the best place to shoot beaver in Omaha is.

Never shot Beaver... you?

westofyou
02-09-2006, 11:50 PM
Never shot Beaver... you?

I plead the 5th... but I have streaked.

TeamBoone
02-09-2006, 11:57 PM
02/09/2006 10:49 PM ET

Kullman dismissed by Krivsky
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- On Thursday, in his first full day on the job as Reds general manager, Wayne Krivsky dismissed Director of Baseball Operations Brad Kullman.

From Jan. 23 -- when Dan O'Brien was dismissed -- until Krivsky's hiring on Wednesday by chief executive officer Bob Castellini, Kullman had been handling interim GM duties.

"I know I would have been an asset and helped him," said Kullman when reached on Thursday night. "He wanted to bring in his own guys. I can't argue with that. It's the nature of the business. But it's tough. I've been through a lot with the organization."

In the three weeks he held the GM's job, the 38-year-old Kullman attempted to explore trade possibilities and made one free agent signing last week, when he inked veteran right-handed pitcher Rick White to a one-year contract.

"[Krivsky] could have stuck me down the hall where I wasn't really involved [in his inner circle] and made it difficult on me," said Kullman. "I appreciated his being honest with me."

Kullman, a native of Oxford, Ohio, was one of the nine candidates who interviewed for the permanent GM position. His 11-year career with Cincinnati dates back to working under former GM Jim Bowden. Kullman was the Reds' assistant GM from 2002 to 2003 before becoming director of baseball operations before the 2004 season.

When Bowden was dismissed in July 2003, Kullman and special assistant Leland Maddox filled his duties until O'Brien was hired.

A replacement for Kullman was not named. Krivsky could not be reached for comment.

Perez signed: In other news, the Reds signed outfielder Timo Perez to a Minor League contract on Thursday. An invitation to big-league Spring Training was not included in the deal, but Perez will be participating in a Minor League mini-camp with the organization later this month.

Perez is a six-year Major League veteran who has played for the Mets and White Sox. A lifetime .263 hitter, he batted .218 in 76 games last season for Chicago.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060209&content_id=1309468&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

gonelong
02-10-2006, 12:15 PM

The airport, hands down.

GL