PDA

View Full Version : Castellini DFA's Gapper

Jr's Boy
02-10-2006, 06:26 PM
We can only hope.:D

dougdirt
02-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Oh man, I HATE gapper with a passion. What the heck does he have to do with the Reds?

max venable
02-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Oh man, I HATE gapper with a passion. What the heck does he have to do with the Reds?
He's furry...and loveable...just like David Weathers!? :(

dougdirt
02-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Max venable....that made my night. thanks for the laugh!

KronoRed
02-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Keep him, dump the old vet Mr.Red

TeamBoone
02-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Gapper is for the kids... and they love him.

Shaknb8k
02-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Yeah at first I could not stand Gapper...and I noticed the kids liked him so I say keep him.....I dont see as much love for the Pepsi Squad though. If the Reds need to cut back payroll lets get rid of these guys.

max venable
02-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Yeah at first I could not stand Gapper...and I noticed the kids liked him so I say keep him.....I dont see as much love for the Pepsi Squad though. If the Reds need to cut back payroll lets get rid of these guys.
My guess is that Pepsi pays the Reds to have those guys there.

Shaknb8k
02-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Oh im sure they pay them....i was just messing around....Well i wasnt messing around with the part about wishing they would get rid of them though

Rex Argos
02-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Ya know, when Gapper was in AA, I thought he had serious upside. I mean, his dancing was phenomenal, and his physical presence was something to be reckoned with. I thought he had potential to be a #1 starting mascot, he could have been right up there with the Phillie Phanatic. But you know those little injuries started creeping in. Short stints on the DL became longer stints on the DL, and before you know it, you're talking about unrealized potential. Sad, but true. Maybe if he had stayed in the minors a little longer to work on some of his moves. Who knows, he could have been destined for Cooperstown.

shredda2000
02-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Gapper is alright, but he is no San Diego Chicken!!!

Doc. Scott
02-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Gapper is a total Phillie Phanatic clone. That's why everyone takes one look at him and rolls their eyes.

cincinnati chili
02-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Gapper is for the kids... and they love him.

Kids love baked Alaska too... Doesn't mean it's good for them. :)

SunDeck
02-11-2006, 09:21 AM
I think they need to dfa the "alien eyes" Mr. Red. Bring back the original, the classic...

Gapper? If the kids love him, then build an attraction around him and watch the money roll in.

RFS62
02-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Ya know, when Gapper was in AA, I thought he had serious upside. I mean, his dancing was phenomenal, and his physical presence was something to be reckoned with. I thought he had potential to be a #1 starting mascot, he could have been right up there with the Phillie Phanatic. But you know those little injuries started creeping in. Short stints on the DL became longer stints on the DL, and before you know it, you're talking about unrealized potential. Sad, but true. Maybe if he had stayed in the minors a little longer to work on some of his moves. Who knows, he could have been destined for Cooperstown.

Yep, the second rate theme parks of the world are full of guys like this.

Sad, very sad.

KronoRed
02-11-2006, 11:37 AM
I think they need to dfa the "alien eyes" Mr. Red. Bring back the original, the classic...

Gapper? If the kids love him, then build an attraction around him and watch the money roll in.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/Kronosb/Image1.jpg

Caseyfan21
02-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Geez, this thread got my hopes up so much. I cannot stand that big furry rip off of the Phillie Phanatic. Just stay with the classic Mr. Red.

RFS62
02-11-2006, 12:32 PM
I'd give anything if Castellini would dump Mr. Red as he is today and do a really good "Old Mr. Red", mustache and all, exactly like the old logo.

He's pimping tradition, and losing that cheap looking Mr. Red would be a great move. Honestly, what they have now looks like a grade school paper-mache project.

SunDeck
02-11-2006, 01:41 PM
I'd give anything if Castellini would dump Mr. Red as he is today and do a really good "Old Mr. Red", mustache and all, exactly like the old logo.

He's pimping tradition, and losing that cheap looking Mr. Red would be a great move. Honestly, what they have now looks like a grade school paper-mache project.

Yeah, but I hope it looks better than the one Krono posted. Is that Cesar Geronimo's kid?
Anyway, I DO NOT REMEMBER HIM LOOKING LIKE THAT. All scrawny, nothing but a big head on some high school kids' noggin'.

Mr Red
02-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the support guys....coming up through the ranks they kept telling me not to get the "big head" but what they never understood was that it just came naturally. I don't mind sharing the stage with the red furball.....in fact I hope they add him to the big race....I'll smoke him...chunky little furball.:p:

RFS62
02-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Yeah, but I hope it looks better than the one Krono posted. Is that Cesar Geronimo's kid?
Anyway, I DO NOT REMEMBER HIM LOOKING LIKE THAT. All scrawny, nothing but a big head on some high school kids' noggin'.

No, the one Krono posted is the one I hate. The Mets stole our thunder and did a great job of a baseball head mascot.

Ours looks like a joke.

Caseyfan21
02-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Honestly, what they have now looks like a grade school paper-mache project.

I agree, but more like an alien from outer space. If I saw that big ol' head as a little kid I'd probably get scared.

redsfanfalcon
02-11-2006, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=SunDeck]I think they need to dfa the "alien eyes" Mr. Red. Bring back the original, the classic...

I am totally with you on the alien eyes. I've always said that. I agree we should bring back #27 Mr. Red.

Heath
02-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the support guys....coming up through the ranks they kept telling me not to get the "big head" but what they never understood was that it just came naturally. I don't mind sharing the stage with the red furball.....in fact I hope they add him to the big race....I'll smoke him...chunky little furball.:p:

You're lucky Gapper doesn't post here.

Yachtzee
02-12-2006, 08:28 PM

Mustacheo'ed Mr. Red for President!

KronoRed
02-12-2006, 10:36 PM
You're lucky Gapper doesn't post here.
He's registered ;)

macro
02-13-2006, 11:00 AM
I didn't realize that the Reds uniform logos were backward in the 70s. :D

That Mr Red had about as much personality as a rosin bag. He never danced or did anything crazy, just walked around and shaked hands. The head was WAY out of proportion to the body, obviously. They should've gave the guy a padded suit to increase the size of the body and reduced the head.

Mr. Red is actually a great candidate for an awesome mascot, if done properly. I don't know what they were thinking with this latest attempt. Now THAT thing IS scary!

KronoRed
02-13-2006, 11:24 AM
I didn't realize that the Reds uniform logos were backward in the 70s. :D

It's the time machine, weird stuff happens ;)

RFS62
02-13-2006, 02:05 PM
This, without the goofy smile, is what I'm talkin' about.

Not the grade school crap we've got.

Mr. Met, with a 'stache. Old Red was the first I ever saw as a mascot cartoon. Mr. Met ripped us off.

http://jayoh.net/amazinmets/Mr.Met1.jpg

KronoRed
02-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Mr.Met looks high