PDA

View Full Version : Naehring Demoted... Almaraz new farm director

cincinnati chili
02-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Per Marc's blog:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

They're talking about Hatteberg's signing on the other board, but this is a much more significant story, IMO.

KronoRed
02-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Like M2 said on the other board, I have to question Almaraz being given farm director, out system is dead and some of that blame has to rest on his shoulders.

cincinnati chili
02-12-2006, 01:32 PM
I don't know what to think either. I really don't have a handle on Almaraz's demeanor. That's very, very important for a farm director. Snap judgments by a farm director can bury a guy. On the other hand, there are times when a guy has to lay down the law. Part sherriff, part guidance counselor, part residence assistant (r.a.).

Tommyjohn25
02-12-2006, 01:51 PM
As far as I'm concerned, at this point, I have given my trust to the new FO regime. I wanted Krivsky, RCast got him, so I'm going to like these moves until they give me a reason not to, at which point my given trust will begin to dissipate as well.

icehole3
02-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Isnt Almaraz the guy who signed Dunn and a few others? What has Naehring done in his career? I do believe anyone thats left from the Jim Bowden regime should at least be put on watch.

Willy
02-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Keep shaking it up!!!!!!!!!

I think we will see Wayne continue to reorganize until next offseason, when he can bring in more of his "own" guys.

Team Clark
02-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Good move. Expect Tim to resign. Although the Coordinator's position is pretty important. Might be a rejuvenation for Tim. I still think he will pack up and go elsewhere.

Redny
02-12-2006, 02:58 PM
What does a "minor league field coordinator" do?

Team Clark
02-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Isnt Almaraz the guy who signed Dunn and a few others? What has Naehring done in his career? I do believe anyone thats left from the Jim Bowden regime should at least be put on watch.

Yep. MANY others.

icehole3
02-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Youve gotta reward this guy who's signing good players. To me when Almaraz talks every one should take notes. On Naering's watch we've had pitchers blow their arms off. Its unfortunate but thats the way it goes.

Falls City Beer
02-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Killing them softly. :nono:

Aronchis
02-12-2006, 03:32 PM
I doubt Almaraz is scouting director long, but that he got the "temp" job over others is telling.

Reds4Life
02-12-2006, 03:33 PM
My guess is the guys who are moved around only stay for this season. The majority of the talent pool is already signed on with other teams for this year and it's late in the game to add new folks. When next season rolls around I doubt you'll see any of the old front office surrounding Wayne, and that is fine with me.

KronoRed
02-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Isnt Almaraz the guy who signed Dunn and a few others?
How many were pitchers who are helping us?

I hope this a temporary thing and everyone left over is axed ASAP

cincinnati chili
02-12-2006, 04:11 PM
What does a "minor league field coordinator" do?

The field coordinator is more "hands on" in most organizations. He is more likely than the farm director (aka "Director of Player Development) to rove from team to team and actually give a guy instruction. The field coordinator is almost always a former player, where as some farm directors (e.g. Ben Cherington of the Sox) come from administrative or scouting backgrounds.

The farm director is more "big picture."

Phil in BG
02-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Does anyone know about Bob Miller? He's been with the Diamondbacks for years, but it makes you wonder what Wayne knows about him. It sure didn't take long to hire him. He was most recently an Asst. GM there.

TeamBoone
02-12-2006, 04:54 PM
02/12/2006 4:30 PM ET
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

The front-office restructuring continued on Sunday.

Johnny Almaraz, who was the director of international scouting, has been promoted to director of player development/international operations.

Tim Naehring, the former player development director, is now the Minor League field coordinator. He replaces Bob Miscik, who was dismissed earlier this month by the club. In his new role, Naehring will be on the field more, working with younger players.

"They'll be a nice team," said Krivsky of Almaraz and Naehring. "I'm excited about it. We feel this restructuring will be a positive one. Both people have respective strengths. Setting it up this way will make maximum use of their strengths."

In addition, Bob Miller was named director of baseball administration. Miller, who has spent 24 years in professional baseball -- the last seven with Arizona -- will fill many of the responsibilities held by former baseball operations director Brad Kullman, who was dismissed by Krivsky on Feb. 9.

Scott Nethery was hired as a special assistant to the GM/player personnel and will help evaluate players. Nethery, who has a pro and amateur scouting background, was with the Mets last year and spent the previous 13 years working in the Braves organization.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060212&content_id=1310281&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

MikeS21
02-12-2006, 05:08 PM
It's hard to get enthused about more tools scouts. Who's the next Craig Wright/Chris Antonelli type person going to be in the Reds' front office?

Falls City Beer
02-12-2006, 05:17 PM
What happened to "blow it up; make it yours"? :confused:

This is more like being blown a kiss.

TeamBoone
02-12-2006, 05:22 PM
This is more like being blown a kiss.

What is?

Falls City Beer
02-12-2006, 05:26 PM
What is?

All of the deck chair shuffling of the previous farm structure.

And why demote Naehring? Why not just fire him? Or keep him on until you find the permanent replacement?

It all just smacks of fumbling in the dark.

johngalt
02-12-2006, 05:30 PM

And why demote Naehring? Why not just fire him? Or keep him on until you find the permanent replacement?

Maybe because it's so late in the game and it would be more prudent to wait until the offseason when it would be easier to fill the position(s) and have a better selection of competent candidates?

M2
02-12-2006, 07:06 PM

I believe he's under contract for another year, not that it's a reason to keep him around. My guess is this is the equivalent of telling the guy to stand off to the side and not bother anyone.

Willy
02-12-2006, 07:41 PM
The guy is just trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t, until he can go to the grocery.

Krusty
02-12-2006, 08:29 PM
I doubt Almaraz is scouting director long, but that he got the "temp" job over others is telling.

I thought Terry Reynolds was the scouting director?

Team Clark
02-12-2006, 09:07 PM
The guy is just trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t, until he can go to the grocery.

That is hilarious!!!

Coordinator's typically script Minor League Spring training. Naehring runs a pretty tight camp. Almaraz will decide where players are assigned and who to keep. A major part of his role will be to work alongside Krivsky. Dean Taylor, if kept, will work closely with Almaraz as both will continually evaluate the Reds players. Almaraz is better suited as he is a far better evlauator than Naehring. Almaraz has been heavily pursued in the past. The Reds quickly, and smartly signed Almaraz to a multi-year deal if my memory serves right.

redskirtsrgood
02-13-2006, 04:44 AM
its had to be hard for naehring to do his job with his hands tied...should have been given a shot

M2
02-13-2006, 08:54 AM
its had to be hard for naehring to do his job with his hands tied...should have been given a shot

A shot at what?

He had his job for five years and made a thorough mess of it. He inherited a system that BA ranked #3 in all of baseball and leaves it ranked #29. You can lay a lot of that at the feet of the scouting folks, but the development side earned itself an equal share of that failure.

savafan
02-13-2006, 10:13 AM
I gotta say that I like this move. This is what Cast meant when he said it was important to have the right people in the right jobs. I have heard nothing but good things about Johnny Almaraz, and everything I remember hearing about Naehring when he played with the Red Sox was how good he was at working with the younger players. I say give both of them a shot in these new positions and see what happens. What's not to like?

westofyou
02-13-2006, 10:32 AM
should have been given a shot
In the back of the head maybe..

KronoRed
02-13-2006, 11:24 AM
In the back of the head maybe..
Around here we prefer hangings.

NewEraReds
02-13-2006, 12:12 PM
i like the moves. and like whats been said, krivsky really cant get his guys this year probably. so we might not really see the shape of the fo till next year

NewEraReds
02-13-2006, 12:13 PM
How many were pitchers who are helping us?

I hope this a temporary thing and everyone left over is axed ASAP
you cant do that. what are we gonna do with half our fo empty for a year, or getting even more inept guys as fill ins. you cant go out a week before st and just pluck every guy you want from other organizations. they wont allow it.

KronoRed
02-13-2006, 12:40 PM
you cant do that. what are we gonna do with half our fo empty for a year, or getting even more inept guys as fill ins. you cant go out a week before st and just pluck every guy you want from other organizations. they wont allow it.
Of course, temporary meaning this year

Hopefully on the first Monday after the season a mass firing is carried out.

redskirtsrgood
02-13-2006, 12:50 PM
I agree with the reds farm system being bad, but I put the blame more on the scouting department. Naehring may have had a chance but had to do it with his hands tied...taking a strike, tandem rotation, and a mess of a staff in Miscik and co. I just think he should have been given a chance where baseball is baseball and not t-ball

Chip R
02-13-2006, 12:57 PM
I agree with the reds farm system being bad, but I put the blame more on the scouting department. Naehring may have had a chance but had to do it with his hands tied...taking a strike, tandem rotation, and a mess of a staff in Miscik and co. I just think he should have been given a chance where baseball is baseball and not t-ball
DanO was here only 2 years. What excuses do you have for Naehring before DanO came here?

M2
02-13-2006, 01:46 PM

A) What Chip said, Naehring was screwing up long before DanO arrived.

B) Development? Scouting? I don't care. Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out.

icehole3
02-13-2006, 05:22 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060213/SPT04/602130377/1071/SPT0101

Krivsky said there's a possibility that he'll hire more people, but the key is getting permission from their clubs to talk to them with spring training set to open.

Krivsky said he made the move with Almaraz and Naehring to take advantage of their talents.

"This in no way should be viewed as a demotion for Tim," Krivsky said. "I like my farm director to have a strong background in scouting. That's not a knock on Tim."
Naehring, a former teammate of Hatteberg, was fine with the move.

"This gets me back on the field," Naehring said. "That's what I like to do. I don't want to be a GM. I'm happy with it."

I like the fact that everyone is on watch. If you dont like your new position, you best do it with a smile.

redskirtsrgood
02-13-2006, 09:25 PM
One excuse like I said earlier...scouting