PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new 1st base coach

Danny Serafini
02-16-2006, 04:29 PM
From Marc's blog:

From the "nice timing" department...

SARASOTA -- Reds first base coach John Moses has decided to retire. He wants to spend more time with his family.

The team is in the process of putting together a list of candidates, and the search will begin in-house before looking outside the organization. Just throwing it out there, but I imagine Freddie Benavides would be a strong candidate, if he's interested.

Strikes Out Looking
02-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Take it from me, nobody wants to spend more time with his family unless his wife is a mute supermodel and there is a full time nanny around. Anytime that phrase is uttered it means something else...

Falls City Beer
02-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Take it from me, nobody wants to spend more time with his family unless his wife is a mute supermodel and there is a full time nanny around. Anytime that phrase is uttered it means something else...

I'd much rather spend time with my wife and family.

It's everyone else I could do without, frankly. ;)

Chip R
02-16-2006, 04:55 PM
I'd much rather spend time with my wife and family.

It's everyone else I could do without, frankly. ;)
You're a people person. ;)

KronoRed
02-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Make Narron 1st base coach :evil:

Mario-Rijo
02-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Wasn't Moses also our fielding coach? I would say then that Benavides would be the ideal candidate unless they don't wanna pull him from the Minors at this late juncture!

Heath
02-16-2006, 06:05 PM
What's Ray Knight doing these days? :yikes:

Chip R
02-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Wasn't Moses also our fielding coach? I would say then that Benavides would be the ideal candidate unless they don't wanna pull him from the Minors at this late juncture!

He was the OFer's coach. Apparantly Moses will not lead the Reds to the promised land.

klw
02-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Call Barry

TeamBoone
02-16-2006, 06:26 PM
Well, his timing is just wonderful. :confused:

I find it hard to believe he just made that decision this week... ST week. Nothing like making everyone hurry around now to try and find a replacement.

KronoRed
02-16-2006, 06:32 PM
It is odd he just announced this.

marcshoe
02-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Call Barry

hmmmm.....

KronoRed
02-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Mark Barry?

;)

gm
02-16-2006, 06:47 PM
What's Cardenal doing these days? Need an OF coach for WMP

Nugget
02-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Dunn can be that bad at 1B - Maybe the REDS suggested moving WMP there and he thought this is way too hard :)

westofyou
02-16-2006, 06:56 PM
I find it hard to believe he just made that decision this week... ST week.

Lots of guys get the itch to go to ST, they've been doing it all their lives... then boom right as they have to go they finally realize this is the year they won't.

Dunn can be that bad at 1B - Maybe the REDS suggested moving WMP there and he thought this is way too hard The other teams coach needs to worry about how "bad" Dunn is at 1st, not the Reds coach. One thing's for sure, Dunn will be standing on 1st with the new coach whispering in his ear more than WMP.

alex trevino
02-16-2006, 06:59 PM
I would prefer a "celebrity coach" for home games..much like the Cubs do with the 7th inning stretch...Salma Heyek comes to mind :D

lollipopcurve
02-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Call Barry

Would be cool. They could also use a Latino on the staff.

TeamBoone
02-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Would be cool. They could also use a Latino on the staff.

Barry isn't Latino... if that's what you meant.

Heath
02-16-2006, 08:56 PM
I think it also could be a great promotion to be "First Base Coach of the Day". Just drop your name into the box at the Stadium guest service area behind section 103 and one lucky winner per game will be "First base coach of the day"!

"First Base Coach of the Day" brought to you by OfficeTeam. Cincinnati's largest temporary service!

:D

marcshoe
02-16-2006, 09:50 PM

Barry Alvarez, maybe? Okay, I'm not sure if he is Latino either, but he's not working at the moment....:D

'course other thread says KGsr's interested, and if he wants the job, I'd give it to him.

TeamBoone
02-16-2006, 10:35 PM
Sorry.

As Barry Larkin was mentioned, that's who I was referring to.

Ron Madden
02-17-2006, 04:21 AM
I think it also could be a great promotion to be "First Base Coach of the Day". Just drop your name into the box at the Stadium guest service area behind section 103 and one lucky winner per game will be "First base coach of the day"!

"First Base Coach of the Day" brought to you by OfficeTeam. Cincinnati's largest temporary service!

:D

Hi Andy Furman ..How da hell are ya?

marcshoe
02-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Sorry.

As Barry Larkin was mentioned, that's who I was referring to.

I know. The last post was a weak attempt at humor.

Chip R
02-17-2006, 11:25 AM

He does speak Spanish, though.

gm, I think Cardenal is with JimBo in DC but I'm not sure.

westofyou
02-17-2006, 11:34 AM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

SARASOTA -- Just got out of our daily meeting with Jerry Narron, and he mentioned four internal candidates for the first base coach job: Ken Griffey Sr., Ed Napoleon, Lynn Jones and Pete Mackanin.

You know about Senior. Napoleon (better known as Nappy) has been in baseball for 50 years as a player or coach. He has been an outfield and bunting instructor for the Reds the last two seasons, working all of spring training and making occasional appearances during the regular season. Lynn Jones was hired this offseason as the minor league outfield and baserunning coordinator (replacing John Moses, really) after three years with the Red Sox organization. He was Boston's first base coach the last two years. He played outfield in the majors for eight seasons with Detroit and Kansas City. Mackanin used to coach the outfielders with the Expos, and if you see the post below, you know he has big-league coaching experience.

Lynn Jones was Lonnie Smiths caddy in the 85 WS

KronoRed
02-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Napoleon

Just to hear it mentioned on the radio/TV

RedsBaron
02-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Man, it is so hard to be a first base coach. You have to be able to pat a guy on the fanny when he gets on base, spit tobacco, argue close calls with the ump, play cards with the manager on road trips....good thing DanO is gone as it might have taken him months to find a replacement.;)