PDA

View Full Version : Reds TV Schedule Announced

cumberlandreds
02-16-2006, 07:45 PM
I didn't see this posted anywhere. The Reds have to have the least amount of games on TV than anyone else,only 100 again this season. George Grande and Chris Welsh are back for their 14th season. That should please everyone.;)

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060216&content_id=1313006&vkey=pr_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

macro
02-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Hey, I'm glad there are at least 100. Back before SportsChannel and Fox Sports Network took over, only road games were televised, and only about 50 of those.

Yachtzee
02-17-2006, 12:43 AM
Still no indication as far as whether FS Ohio has decided to show Reds Games statewide now that the Indians have gone their own way. I must say, it's promising that the guide on Direct TV shows "Reds Week" on the FS Ohio schedule (in addition to FS Cincinnati).

Cedric
02-17-2006, 01:13 AM
Baseball on the radio is the greatest thing in the world. I can't say I don't watch some games, but sometimes the back porch with the radio is better anyway.

RBA
02-17-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm going to order the Extra Innings for MLB.TV . So I can sit on the porch or by my pool with my laptop and watch the games. At the same time I can multi-task and use chat function to talk to fellow redszoners. I also have XM radio for backup.

Danny Serafini
02-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Anyone know what's going on in Toledo? Fox Sports Ohio seems to have disappeared from our cable lineup, anyone know if we're going to get any games up here?

KronoRed
02-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Maybe they dropped them because the Indian games are gone? :dunno:

jmbraun773
02-17-2006, 12:56 PM
I live in Indianapolis and there used to be a station (channel 99) that would show reds games. Last year for some reason they weren't showing the games anymore. :angry:

Does anyone in here know of a station that I can get these games on...without having satellite tv. I tried the MLB TV but black out rules apply...and I guess Indy is in the blackout area. :help:

Any help would be appreciated.

Danny Serafini
02-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Maybe they dropped them because the Indian games are gone? :dunno:

That's the possibility that scares me. Indians games always got preference, if the two were playing at the same time the Reds got bumped to a channel well down the list that shows home shopping 24 hours a day. Plus we get Fox Sports Detroit so we still have an FSN affiliate. I just hope we get the Reds games somehow.

Reds Fanatic
02-17-2006, 01:08 PM
That's the possibility that scares me. Indians games always got preference, if the two were playing at the same time the Reds got bumped to a channel well down the list that shows home shopping 24 hours a day. Plus we get Fox Sports Detroit so we still have an FSN affiliate. I just hope we get the Reds games somehow.
If you get Fox Sports Detroit you are probably out of luck. They probably consider Toledo to be Tigers territory and those are the only games you will get.

Blimpie
02-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Hey, I'm glad there are at least 100. Back before SportsChannel and Fox Sports Network took over, only road games were televised, and only about 50 of those.Ah, how I still miss the sounds of Gordy Coleman's flintless lighters between pitches....(chik, chik chik)

smith288
02-17-2006, 07:43 PM
I wish FSN would start broadcasting in HD...

macro
02-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Ah, how I still miss the sounds of Gordy Coleman's flintless lighters between pitches....(chik, chik chik)

I first started watching the Reds on TV in 1974. I think the announcers were Ken Coleman and Bill Brown, but I was eight at the time, so my memory may not be serving me correctly. I'm too lazy to look it up. At that time, we didn't have cable and couldn't pick up the Louisville station that carried the Reds games. So, I only saw the games when I was lucky enough to be at a friend's house who could get it, which wasn't often. We scored a UHF antenna in 1979 and I then got to see all the televised games. One of the announcers that year was Ray Lane. I don't remember the other one. The guy who called Pete's 4192 was named Ken Wilson, right?

I think the special thing about there being only 50 games or so a year on TV was that when they were on, it was a big deal. If they were on NBC's Saturday game or ABC's Monday Night Baseball, it was a REALLY big deal. With so many games on ESPN and FSN today, I think some of the excitement of a Reds game being on TV has been lost.

Neo
02-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Baseball on the radio is the greatest thing in the world. I can't say I don't watch some games, but sometimes the back porch with the radio is better anyway.

There is so much truth to that one statement, and it is true for any fan. I would have to say some of my fondest memories growing up was either just sitting out back listening to the game, or just playing ball with my dad while Marty and Joe called the game.

toledodan
02-18-2006, 12:55 AM
Anyone know what's going on in Toledo? Fox Sports Ohio seems to have disappeared from our cable lineup, anyone know if we're going to get any games up here?

i have directv and still have fox ohio up here. what cable company do you have? i know of buckeye and adelphi cable for the toledo area. i would be shocked if buckeye dropped fox ohio. you must remember that the blue jackets and cavs play on that channel as well. just because cleveland moved their games to another channel shouldn't change things. it is possible with how popular the detroit teams are in this area the cable company may not have wanted to pick up fox ohio anymore with the indians leaving the network. now it is interesting that buckeye did have both fox ohio and fox detroit. toledo is considered both cleveland and cincinnati territory for blackout rules. on the mlb package all reds games not picked up by fox ohio are blacked out. however no matter where detroit is playing i get all their games on the mlb package. considering i'm only 50 miles from detriot this makes no sense at all. someone last year had a site which showed the market areas for all mlb teams. some teams had 5 states for a market area. mlb and directv need to do a better job with this.

toledodan
02-18-2006, 01:01 AM
i'm not sure how old this is but buckeye cable still lists fox ohio.

http://www.buckeyecablesystem.com/downloads/Channel_Guides/lineup.pdf

toledodan
02-18-2006, 01:05 AM
adelphi is showing fox ohio as well. i don't know what cable company is left up here.

http://www.adelphia.com/cable_entertainment/channel_line_ups.cfm

Danny Serafini
02-18-2006, 02:32 PM
I've got Buckeye Cable. Fox Ohio stopped showing up on channel 32 a week or so ago, the channel guide lists "Digital Preview" 24 hours a day, and the channel is showing NFL Network, which we already get on another channel further down the dial.

Chip R
02-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Folks, this would be a good thread to use your "subscribe" feature on. That way, instead of having to start a new thread asking when the games are on TV, you can go to this thread in your subscribed threads and see for yourself.

jhiller21
02-19-2006, 12:29 AM

Market's too small. We only got 4-5 Bengals games in HD this season.

Wait a few years, all sports will probably be broadcast in high-def.

Blimpie
02-19-2006, 10:44 AM
I first started watching the Reds on TV in 1974. I think the announcers were Ken Coleman and Bill Brown, but I was eight at the time, so my memory may not be serving me correctly. I'm too lazy to look it up. At that time, we didn't have cable and couldn't pick up the Louisville station that carried the Reds games. So, I only saw the games when I was lucky enough to be at a friend's house who could get it, which wasn't often. We scored a UHF antenna in 1979 and I then got to see all the televised games. One of the announcers that year was Ray Lane. I don't remember the other one. The guy who called Pete's 4192 was named Ken Wilson, right?

I think the special thing about there being only 50 games or so a year on TV was that when they were on, it was a big deal. If they were on NBC's Saturday game or ABC's Monday Night Baseball, it was a REALLY big deal. With so many games on ESPN and FSN today, I think some of the excitement of a Reds game being on TV has been lost.Although I was living in Florida at the time, I'm pretty sure you are right about Ken Wilson, Macro.

Hard to believe that are a significant number of members on this board who have never even layed eyes on a UHF antennae. They are probably better people because of it....;)

KronoRed
02-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Market's too small. We only got 4-5 Bengals games in HD this season.

Wait a few years, all sports will probably be broadcast in high-def.
Look up how long it took to switch everyone from black and white to color to see how long it'll take for FSN to be HD :(

TOBTTReds
02-19-2006, 12:39 PM

Might now be to far away. The Cavs games just started in HD last week! Could be coming soon! I'm guess the first game of the season will be on HD, ESPN.

Cigar2
02-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Well by my rough count thank's Dish Network. I'll able to watch 119 games between FoxSportsOhio, WGN, and Comast Sports Chicago.

02-20-2006, 01:50 AM
Look up how long it took to switch everyone from black and white to color to see how long it'll take for FSN to be HD :(

One of my biggest aggravations is to plan to watch something on ESPNHD and find that they are only doing it is standard.:thumbdown

Tonight's "Knight School" is an example.

joeberk
02-20-2006, 12:01 PM
I live in Indianapolis and there used to be a station (channel 99) that would show reds games. Last year for some reason they weren't showing the games anymore. :angry:

Does anyone in here know of a station that I can get these games on...without having satellite tv. I tried the MLB TV but black out rules apply...and I guess Indy is in the blackout area. :help:

Any help would be appreciated.

They stopped showing the games because the sponsors stopped paying for it. Though, really, didn't the Marty McDermott ads get old? :bang:

For some reason DirecTV has given me FSN Ohio so I get Reds games - and no, I'm not complaining.

I have never understood why Indianapolis is still under the blackout rules despite the fact there is no local affiliate for the Reds (and hasn't been for at least 2-3 years). It's my personal opinion that someone in the Reds organization is dropping the ball - at the very least, let the games shown on ESPN be available!

marcshoe
02-20-2006, 11:46 PM
The comments about past broadcasters made me curious as to whether I could find a list of who the TV announcers have been through the years. When I googled it, I found this posted on baseball-fever.com's message board.

Here is a complete listing of TV stations and broadcasters that brought Reds baseball into your homes over the years.Enjoy.

1947 W8XCT-Red Thornburgh
1948-54 WLWT-5 Waite Hoyt
1955 WCPO-9 Waite Hoyt
1956 WLWT-5 George Bryson,Mark Scott
1957 WLWT-5 George Bryson
1958-60 WLWT-5 George Bryson,Frank McCormick
1961-68 WLWT-5 Ed Kennedy,Frank McCormick
1969-70 WLWT-5 Ed Kennedy,Pee Wee Reese
1971 WLWT-5 Tom Hedrick,Bob Waller
1972 WLWT-5 Tom Hedrick,Waite Hoyt
1973 WLWT-5 Charlie Jones,Wes Parker
1974 WLWT-5 Charlie Jones,Woody Woodward
1975 WLWT-5 Ken Coleman,Woody Woodward
1976-78 WLWT-5 Ken Coleman,Bill Brown
1979 WLWT-5 Ken Coleman,Ray Lane,Bill Brown
1980 WLWT-5 Bill Brown,Ray Lane
1981-82 WLWT-5 Bill Brown,Ray Lane,Dick Carlson
1983 WLWT-5 Ray Lane,Ken Wilson,Dick Carlson
1984 WLWT-5 Ray Lane,Ken Wilson
1985 WLWT-5 Ken Wilson,Joe Morgan
1986 WLWT-5 Steve Physioc,Marty Brennaman,Joe Nuxhall
1987 WLWT-5 Marty Brennaman,Joe Nuxhall,Johnny Bench
1988 WLWT-5 Jay Randolph,Johnny Bench
1989 WLWT-5 Thom Brennaman,Johnny Bench
1990 WLWT-5 Steve LaMar,Johnny Bench,Gordy Coleman
1991-92 WLWT-5,SC Ohio-Steve LaMar,Marty Brennaman,Gordy Coleman
1993-94 WLWT-5,SC Ohio-George Grande,Marty Brennaman,Gordy Coleman,Chris Welsh
1995 WLWT-5,SC Ohio-George Grande,Marty Brennaman,Chris Welsh
1996-97 WSTR-64,SC Ohio-George Grande,Marty Brennaman,Chris Welsh
1998 WKRC-12,WSTR-64,FSN Ohio-George Grande,Marty Brennaman,Chris Welsh
1999-2004 FSN Ohio-George Grande,Chris Welsh

I thought I remembered Waite Hoyt on TV.

clueless
02-23-2006, 10:05 AM
There used to be a "network" of stations that carried the games back when they were OTA on WLWT. I know WSAZ and later WVAH carried the games in the Huntington/Charleston WV market.

cumberlandreds
02-23-2006, 10:53 AM
There used to be a "network" of stations that carried the games back when they were OTA on WLWT. I know WSAZ and later WVAH carried the games in the Huntington/Charleston WV market.

I watched them, back in the day, on WLEX from Lexington,KY. I think they had a pretty large network of stations. My dad finally signed up for cable TV in 1975 and I was thrilled to be able to see the Reds play about 50 games a season. Before that I only saw them on the Game of the Week or occasionally I would go to my Grandma's house and watch them as she had cable. For some reason I can remember ads would flash on the screen from time to time and I can remember Joe's Gravely Tractor's. I don't know why that one sticks out in my mind. Also I don't know if this was WLEX with the ads or the Reds Network that flashed them.
Thanks for the list of announcers over the years. I had almost forgotten about some of them. Some of them are forgettable.;)

RBA
02-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Being from California. I used to get them on the "Game of the Week" back in the 70's. The cable company carried the local NBC station and the LA station. The LA NBC station couldn't carry the Dodger home games due to black out rules. The local NBC station would have the Dodgers on and the cable company would carry that feed in the channel designated for the LA NBC station. I had to call the cable company to switch to the LA KNBC feed to get the Reds games several times.

Than came WTBS (Braves), WGN. (Cubs) And USA Network had baseball double headers for a couple seasons. The local NBC affliate picked up some Giants games in some years. I already got the Dodgers network. So the Reds being in the NL West back than, I got a lot of games for being so far away. I also could get Padres, Dodgers, and Giants radio from their cities. I was located 140 miles north of LA.

Chip R
02-24-2006, 11:15 AM
I looked at all the other teams we were playing during ST to see if one of their ST games with us would be televised and there was nothing. All the games we will see are either on FSO or a late March game on ESPN against the BoSox. We sure are some kind of draw, huh? :lol:

HalMorrisRules
02-24-2006, 02:15 PM
In my mind's eye, I always remember Ray Lane with a plaid sportscoat and a really bad toupee. The toupee might not be right but I just remember an awful head o' hair.

creek14
03-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Just a reminder, tomorrow's (22 Mar) game is on FSN Ohio. :beerme: :thumbup: :luvu: :dunn: :dancingco

GAC
04-05-2006, 07:02 AM
I'm going to order the Extra Innings for MLB.TV . So I can sit on the porch or by my pool with my laptop and watch the games. At the same time I can multi-task and use chat function to talk to fellow redszoners. I also have XM radio for backup.

Geez! What is military pay these days? :lol: