PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Sr to interview for 1st base coach

steig
02-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Found this online, looks like we may be getting Ken Sr. back with the team. I don't know how he would fit with Narron but he probably would be a coach that Pinella might want to keep should he replace Narron at some point in the future.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2334540

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Ken Griffey Sr. is one of four candidates for the Cincinnati Reds' first base coaching job.

Manager Jerry Narron said Friday that he will discuss the job with Griffey, outfield and bunting instructor Ed Napoleon, minor league outfield and baserunning coordinator Lynn Jones and newly hired advance scout Pete Mackanin.

The job opened on Thursday when John Moses retired.

Griffey played on the Big Red Machine and teamed with his son, Ken Jr., in Seattle. He also has been a Reds coach. For the last few years, Griffey Sr. has been a special consultant to the general manager, helping with scouting and talking to players. He would like a bigger role in the organization.

Griffey Jr. joined his hometown Reds in a trade before the 2000 season. He and his father plan to be part of the U.S. team for the inaugural World Baseball Classic next month -- Griffey Sr. is the first base coach.

Mackanin was hired as advance scout on Friday. He spent the last five years in the Pirates organization, as a minor league manager and as the major league bench coach. He also was a third base coach for Montreal.

The Reds will hold their first workout on Saturday at their spring training complex. All but one of their 38 pitchers and catchers have reported -- catcher Javier Valentin has permission to be with his wife, who just gave birth to the couple's second child.

Team Clark
02-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Interviewed today at 2PM.

Yachtzee
02-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Interviewed today at 2PM.

TCII, tell him I wish him the best. He was one of my favorite players as a kid.

Team Clark
02-17-2006, 11:44 PM
Will do. Supposed to talk to him late tomorrow afternoon. I even feel a little nervous for him.

MrCinatit
02-18-2006, 07:54 AM
if he doesn't fit in Narron's plans....

get rid of Narron :p:

seriously, i would love to see Senior back with the club. truly one of the class-acts of the game, and IMHO, one of the more unappreciated figures of the sport.

Blimpie
02-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Senior is one of Buck's coaches in the WBC. I sincerely hope that the Reds don't use that as a strike against him in the interview process. He will miss some ST because of that committment, but--then again--so will Junior...

Team Clark
02-18-2006, 11:36 AM
If he gets the Reds job he will have to forego the World Baseball activities. Sr. has already been in contact with Bob Watson.

Yachtzee
02-18-2006, 11:40 AM
By the way, TCII. I really enjoyed your tales from your days in the minors and I know you're close with the Griffey family, and the Q&A with Kullman idea made me think. It would be incredible if we could do a Q&A with Ken Griffey, Sr., or maybe when you two have the time, maybe you could sit down with him and do an "interview" for Redszone. As someone who has been a fan of his since I first started following baseball, I would love to hear some of his stories and insights into the game.

I know its a busy time, with you working with the D-Rays and Sr. getting ready for the WBC, but it would definitely be something cool down the road. Would you be interested?

Redsland
02-18-2006, 02:25 PM
TCII, Senior has something of a volatile history. If memory serves, he abruptly resigned as 1b coach once before (in the middle of ST, IIRC) and quit another time back when he was either hitting coach or bench coach. I also think I remember him walking off the job in protest for a few days during his tenure as hitting coach. (And cameras caught him berating Jr. in the dugout once, which isn't necessarily the same thing, since they're family, but still bears mentioning.)

Perhaps these occasions were justified, but from the outside looking in, Sr. appears to be something of an impulsive hothead. If so, I worry about making him a coach.

Obviously, you have much greater insight into him and his situation than we do here. Perhaps you could put my mind at ease about our future 1B coach?

:confused:

George Foster
02-19-2006, 12:08 AM
This is a no win situation. If he is not hired, Jr. will be pissed off form day one of spring training. If he is hired, Narron will not have the freedom to talk openly and honestly to his coaching staff about Jr., if his performance is lacking. Not a good thing.

Team Clark
02-19-2006, 02:25 AM
By the way, TCII. I really enjoyed your tales from your days in the minors and I know you're close with the Griffey family, and the Q&A with Kullman idea made me think. It would be incredible if we could do a Q&A with Ken Griffey, Sr., or maybe when you two have the time, maybe you could sit down with him and do an "interview" for Redszone. As someone who has been a fan of his since I first started following baseball, I would love to hear some of his stories and insights into the game.

I know its a busy time, with you working with the D-Rays and Sr. getting ready for the WBC, but it would definitely be something cool down the road. Would you be interested?

He and I do that probably once a week. Next time I will tell him I am recording and post it.

Team Clark
02-19-2006, 02:40 AM
TCII, Senior has something of a volatile history. If memory serves, he abruptly resigned as 1b coach once before (in the middle of ST, IIRC) and quit another time back when he was either hitting coach or bench coach. I also think I remember him walking off the job in protest for a few days during his tenure as hitting coach. (And cameras caught him berating Jr. in the dugout once, which isn't necessarily the same thing, since they're family, but still bears mentioning.)

Perhaps these occasions were justified, but from the outside looking in, Sr. appears to be something of an impulsive hothead. If so, I worry about making him a coach.

Obviously, you have much greater insight into him and his situation than we do here. Perhaps you could put my mind at ease about our future 1B coach?

:confused:

I can shed a lot of light on this subject. I can speak to the Reds situation when he left the first time in mid season. He got divorced. It wasn't pretty and he had to leave to go to Fla and settle it. He did not want, at the time, everyone in the world to know. The front office and Bob Boone knew. The whole episode of him leaving was contrived so he could go back to Fla and get everything settled. End of story.

The Bob Boone episode was fairly well documented. Boone only wanted Tim Foli's input. Period. Boone and "Folly" were trying to re-invent the game. It was a very bad situation and Sr. did not want to be a part of it anymore. Two other coaches nearly did the same thing but literally could not "afford" to do so. There's a lot more details and several straws that broke the camels' back. Really all you need to do is say "Bob Boone" and hopefully that should explain it.

The only other time that I can remember him quitting something was in Winter Ball. The owner of the team for which Sr. was managing was stealing money from the young kids and Sr. found out. Sr. reported they guy and the $#@ really hit the fan. Sr. left and came home.

And that "berating". I know which game you are talking about. That was NOT under any circumstance a berating. I have known the Griffey's for over 15 years and I can tell you Sr. has never "Berated" Junior. McKeon really did not care for Junior and Junior knew it. They never got along and it got to the point where Junior barked back at McKeon during a game and it could have been really ugly. Sr. stepped in, took him to the end of the dugout and had a father-son chat. Imagine that in a MLB dugout.

As far as people thinking Junior would be pissed if Sr. did not get the job. First of all neither Jr. or Sr. is that shallow of a person. I think JR has managed quite well without his Dad on the staff in Seattle and Cincinnati.

RollyInRaleigh
02-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Boone and "Folly" were trying to re-invent the game.

TC, after being around Foley for a week at the fantasy camp a few years ago, I don't find that statement, at all, hard to believe. Tim, while being very nice to me at the camp, has a real high opinion of himself and his baseball knowledge, wouldn't you say?;)

Raisor
02-19-2006, 08:56 AM
nothing against Senior, but I've just about had it with the Reds bringing back the same old same old.

New blood.

creek14
02-19-2006, 09:02 AM
What Raisor said.

KronoRed
02-19-2006, 11:28 AM
I said it first :rant:

Just not in this thread ;)

GridironGrace
02-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Id love to see him get the job. Very knowledgeable, and knows the game of baseball.

And Jr's best days were with is father as a coach :)

Chip R
02-19-2006, 11:40 AM
nothing against Senior, but I've just about had it with the Reds bringing back the same old same old.

New blood.

I understand and agree for the most part. Problem is Bob is in charge and he has stated he wants former Reds involved. So, for good or bad, former Reds will get priority over anyone else. I just want to see the best man for the job and if it happens to be an ex-Red, so be it.

Team Clark
02-19-2006, 12:07 PM
TC, after being around Foley for a week at the fantasy camp a few years ago, I don't find that statement, at all, hard to believe. Tim, while being very nice to me at the camp, has a real high opinion of himself and his baseball knowledge, wouldn't you say?;)

Yep. He actually is a very personable guy. He and Boone just tried to re-invent the game and in doing so alienated most of their coaching staff.

Team Clark
02-19-2006, 12:09 PM
I understand and agree for the most part. Problem is Bob is in charge and he has stated he wants former Reds involved. So, for good or bad, former Reds will get priority over anyone else. I just want to see the best man for the job and if it happens to be an ex-Red, so be it.

I can see Raisor, Creek and Krono's point. I'm biased a bit on this one so I"ll have to pass.