PDA

View Full Version : The Old Lefthander to Be More Involved in 2006

Caseyfan21
02-18-2006, 11:20 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0217redssights.html

I'm very surprised I had not seen this anywhere yet. If it's buried inside of a thread, please lock this up but I looked all over the current threads and did not see it.

BCast has talked to Joe and asked him to get more involved. It makes it seem more and more likely that Nuxhall was right when he said he was run out a little bit before he wanted to be.

The article said he will be doing about 30 games this year which is a lot more than last year. It said he will probably even do a few road trips.

I for one, love this decision. We all know Joe isn't the best with words, and doesn't always keep track of everything, but he's a Cincinnati legend and the emotion he brings to the game is what I love about him. I really have missed hearing him with Marty. Don't get me wrong, Steve Stewart has done a decent job but he just doesn't get into a game like Joe does.

I can't wait to tune and hear Nuxey's voice a little bit more this year.

:beerme:

MartyFan
02-18-2006, 11:36 AM
I am not in favor of this...If he comes back I hope he simply adds a story or two bout the good old days and leaves the announcing to Marty and Steve.

adampad
02-18-2006, 11:41 AM
How can you not be in favor of this?

MartyFan
02-18-2006, 11:50 AM

Like watching a ball player after their time is up...You still appreciate what the guy did but it's sad to see them...same thing for me with Joe...his time to leave was probably about 5 years ago...the last 5 years he was in the booth was horrible to listen to.

02-18-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm glad. Last year, I listened to some of the games he did instead of watching the tv broadcast.

KronoRed
02-18-2006, 12:06 PM
He's a legend but he's not a PBP guy anymore and hasn't been for years.

Like continuing to run an aged player who can't hit out in the cleanup spot.

Don't care for this at all, I fear Steve is gonna leave, unless (hopefully) Marty takes those 30 games off for Joe.

MartyFan
02-18-2006, 12:14 PM
He's a legend but he's not a PBP guy anymore and hasn't been for years.

Like continuing to run an aged player who can't hit out in the cleanup spot.

Don't care for this at all, I fear Steve is gonna leave, unless (hopefully) Marty takes those 30 games off for Joe.

My concern as well...I really like Steve and if he leaves I hope the Reds go after Paul Keals (spelling) the play by play guy for Ohio State Football/Basketball.

StillFunkyB
02-18-2006, 12:23 PM
I would like to hear SS do the play by play, and Marty/Joe do all the other stuff.

Little Alex
02-18-2006, 12:24 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0217redssights.html

The article said he will be doing about 30 games this year which is a lot more than last year. It said he will probably even do a few road trips.

:beerme: :thumbup: Awesome!!! I know he isnt what he was, but darnit, its Nuxie!!!!

Good news.

TeamBoone
02-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Nuxie or no, I prefer to actually hear what's happening on the field... no lapse in the commentary, no erroneous reports, forgotten names, etc.

I love Joe, but he doesn't do it for me anymore. My main interest is the game; when I can't figure out what's happening because of poor commentary, I get very angry.

Caveat Emperor
02-18-2006, 01:05 PM

Baseball radio positions are the gold standard for sports broadcasters. I doubt you'd see someone like Steve Stewart voluntarily leave the position unless he had something else already lined up at another team.

Personally, I can take Steve or leave him. I don't think he brings anything spectacular to the table, and I'd place his VORB at 0. He's not offensive to the ears (see: Sterling, John -- who can shove that "Thaaaaa Yahnkees win!" someplace painful) or annoyingly stupid (see: Johannsen, Brad -- whenever I listen to a Bengals game, I just hear that line from Billy Madison in my mind: "We are all dumber for having listened to that") but I don't think he's particularly amazing either.

But, that's just my take.

MartyFan
02-18-2006, 01:11 PM
I like Steve really well...of the 5 or 6 the team was considering he is far and away the best of the lot...additionally if you ever heard a Clippers Baseball game or for that matter a Buckeyes football game prior up until about 5 years ago...they were horrible...a guy named Terry ????? Can't think of the last name...he left OSU to gowork with the Angels several years ago....so bad I wanted to throw him a party when he was signing off for the last time.

Marty and Joe in their prime...AWESOME...joe and Marty rehashing stuff they don't really care about anymore...PATHETIC!

TeamBoone
02-18-2006, 01:39 PM
I love Steve. He paints the picture, tells the story as it unfolds, and doesn't get sidetracked... unless Marty steers him away, and even then, Steve's quite adept at unobtrusively bringing it back on track.

He's a saint for being able to work with Marty as well as he does. He's handled a lot of awkward situations with style.

LoganBuck
02-18-2006, 01:52 PM
I would like to see all three of them in the booth. Who said there could be only two in there. I really don't care for Joe doing play by play, anymore. Too many prolonged silences, balls hit to left right center, general confusion. I love Joe, but he needs to be color only. I listen to most of the games, and I just don't think I could stand to listen to 30 games of Joe. He is like putting on the old pair of sneakers, that fit really well, don't look so good, annoy you because they cause your legs to hurt, and smell kind of funny.

Redsland
02-18-2006, 02:03 PM
I love Steve. He paints the picture, tells the story as it unfolds, and doesn't get sidetracked... unless Marty steers him away, and even then, Steve's quite adept at unobtrusively bringing it back on track.

He's a saint for being able to work with Marty as well as he does. He's handled a lot of awkward situations with style.
Agreed. 100%.

:clap:

mbgrayson
02-18-2006, 03:29 PM
I am excited about this...

Marty and Joe are the sound of summer. I know this is an emotional reaction, but they bring back great memories of the 70s, back when the Reds were GOOD.

Mike

George Foster
02-18-2006, 11:48 PM
I think the sunday afternoon game is perfect for Joe. Those games are never televised, and that is the game I always listen to on the radio from beginning to end.

Cedric
02-19-2006, 12:28 AM

Yeah, working with a hall of famer is such hell.

TeamBoone
02-19-2006, 01:30 AM
Yeah, working with a hall of famer is such hell.

He may be a hall of famer, but he's cantankerous as hell. :rolleyes:

MartyFan
02-19-2006, 01:37 AM
My name says how I feel about Marty...I dig that cat...but I love what he used to do in the booth and tolerate what he does now....Joe, to me, is just going to be unberable to listen to.

Steve is a saint and should be commended for the way Marty, Joe and the Reds have pushed him around.

RollyInRaleigh
02-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Any time the "Old Lefthander" can be a part of a Reds broadcast is a good thing in my opinion, and I'll be listening and appreciating. One of these days, he'll "have rounded third and headed home for the last time."

Matt700wlw
02-19-2006, 08:46 AM
I am not in favor of this...If he comes back I hope he simply adds a story or two bout the good old days and leaves the announcing to Marty and Steve.

As far as I know, it won't be a 3 man booth. For any given game, it will either be Marty and Joe or Marty and Steve. There will probably be a couple Steve and Joe games too, because I'm guessing, like last year, Marty will take a few off.

KittyDuran
02-19-2006, 09:04 AM
I have mixed feelings about this - I love and have loved Joe (+ he's from my hometown). But like TB - I really like Steve. When I listen in the car or if the game is not televised I want someone to paint a picture and especially tell me what is happening on the field. I'm sorry, but most of the time Marty and especially Joe do not perform this duty anymore.

I just feel so sorry for Steve - I'm sure this isn't what he signed up for. We, as Reds fans, can feel sorry for Joe for what happened a few years ago, but Steve is now being pushed around. CE is right is stating that a MLB radio position is a gold standard but it doesn't make what is happening now acceptable IMHO. :angry:

MartyFan
02-19-2006, 11:21 AM
As far as I know, it won't be a 3 man booth. For any given game, it will either be Marty and Joe or Marty and Steve. There will probably be a couple Steve and Joe games too, because I'm guessing, like last year, Marty will take a few off.

Not good.

Little Alex
02-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Not good.

I just dont see how a Reds fan can have so much venom for the ole lefthander.

I admit his being baffled during interviews with latin american guys, his slurred speech, and other broadcasting fumbles were a bit tedious... but it happens to the best of them.

Sometimes, I'd rather hear a legend babble about nothing, than a young up-and-comer tell it like it is. Not everyday of course.. but every once in a while.

Sentimental, I know... :cry:

TeamBoone
02-19-2006, 07:44 PM

I don't think that's the case at all. Most love Joe, just not his inability to broadcast baseball anymore.

It happens to all of us, which is why there is a mandatory retirement age at most companies.

Go out on a high and know when to fold 'em.

MartyFan
02-19-2006, 08:03 PM

I admit his being baffled during interviews with latin american guys, his slurred speech, and other broadcasting fumbles were a bit tedious... but it happens to the best of them.

Sometimes, I'd rather hear a legend babble about nothing, than a young up-and-comer tell it like it is. Not everyday of course.. but every once in a while.

Sentimental, I know... :cry:

Venom?

What are you talking about?

I like Joe, love what he used to do...love to hear him stop by the booth sometime but please do not stay the entire game...spend a little time going down memory lane and leave on a high note.

Just my thoughts...but I have NO venom towards Joe...just respect for my memories.

redsfan1966
02-19-2006, 08:24 PM
martyfan...i cannot disagree with you more...i am from the columbus area and the guy who you are referring to is terry smith; and i enjoyed his work with the buckeyes and clippers...clipper broadcasts are now horrific...and unfortunately t. smith also was forced out by osu higher-ups...i hear him now on xm and he is doing a very good job with the angels...as far as the joe situation...i am over joyed...i love nuxie and my only hope is that he just sticks to doing the color commentary...i would have loved for a three man booth in those situations, but marty is against it...and what marty says goes...

4256 Hits
02-19-2006, 09:09 PM
Why not have him do TV? Give him some of George's games, PLEASE! He just cant do the radio anymore.

OldRightHander
02-19-2006, 11:23 PM
I have somewhat mixed feelings about this. Most of you know the great amount of respect I have for Joe. Heck, he was the reason I kept listening to many a game when the Reds were enduring a good old fashioned butt whipping. I love the memories I have of some of the calls he did over the years. I love the relaxed pace he had, the cadence of speech that seemed so appropriate to the timeless nature of the game. It's like he was telling the listeners that there's no clock in this game, that it will be over when it's over and until then you can forget about everything else that is going on in the world. Pour yourself a glass of your favorite beverage, prop your feet up, and just get lost in the beauty of the game of baseball until the game ends and you are dragged kicking and screaming back into reality.

To me, Joe epitomized summer. There was something warm and comfortable about his style, something akin to long summer afternoons on your grandma's front porch with a pitcher of lemonade and not a clock in sight. I have listened to Joe with a tiny transistor radio hidden under my pillow when it was past my bedtime, driving down the highway on vacation and giddy with delight that I have found an affiliate that is carrying the games, over a headset radio while mowing the lawn or paddling my canoe, in the background at countless barbecues, etc. For so many years Joe was an integral part of my summers. He was the voice of the common fan in a certain way, whether he was screaming "get outta here" when Marty was calling a home run or he was showing his obvious displeasure with a poor showing by the team. Whatever his faults, he wore his heart on his sleeve and you knew that he truly loved the Reds. That love showed in the way he did his job.

But all of those pleasant memories are just that now. They are in the same category as those memories of Grandma's front porch with the pitcher of lemonade. Grandma is old and needs someone to look after her. She gets confused easily and gets around quite slowly, even with her walker. I have great memories of who she used to be, but she is no longer the person in those memories. Those times are gone. I miss them, but they can never come back. I still enjoy the time I spend with her, but it's different now. It's the same with Joe. When he is on the radio now I look forward to listening and I have nostalgic feelings about the whole experience. I hear his voice and I remember all the great times in past years. He brings back so many memories. But those times are in the past. That Joe is gone and can never return. The current Joe is but a shadow of his former self. You can still hear glimpses of who he used to be. You still hear the love for the team in his voice, but he has lost a step now. His pauses are longer and his attempts at pronouncing hispanic names have become more difficult. Now every time he comes back and does another game it just makes it more difficult to say goodbye. So if I had anything to say to Joe I would just thank him for all the great memories and then politely suggest that it's now time for him to step aside. We had some good times over the years, but those times are gone now. As difficult as it can be, for him and for his fans, it might be time to let go and move forward. With all that said, I sure will miss him and I may even miss Marty when he finally steps down, whenever that will be. It's hard to let go of childhood icons.

Chip R
02-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Why not have him do TV? Give him some of George's games, PLEASE! He just cant do the radio anymore.

That sounds good to me. If Harry Carey could do TV, Joe sure could.

KronoRed
02-19-2006, 11:56 PM
Agreed on TV.

MartyFan
02-20-2006, 08:51 AM
martyfan...i cannot disagree with you more...i am from the columbus area and the guy who you are referring to is terry smith; and i enjoyed his work with the buckeyes and clippers...clipper broadcasts are now horrific...and unfortunately t. smith also was forced out by osu higher-ups...i hear him now on xm and he is doing a very good job with the angels...as far as the joe situation...i am over joyed...i love nuxie and my only hope is that he just sticks to doing the color commentary...i would have loved for a three man booth in those situations, but marty is against it...and what marty says goes...

Okay...Terry Smith...that is right...and you are right, the games in Columbus got worse for the Clippers but the Buckeyes got a lot better (IMO)...As for Joe coming back...Oh well...He's coming back a few games a year...I'd rather he not but it is not because I dislike him but only because what he does now at this stage in his life with his deminished capabilities is really horrible to listen to and selfishly I'd like to remember him for his "all star" years in the 70's - mid 1990's...after that (imo), he was mailing it in.