PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Ken Griffey Sr.

Team Clark
02-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Several board members have asked me to do a Q&A with Ken Griffey Sr. Ken is a GREAT interview and has some great baseball stories. (His Rickey Henderson stories are my personal faves)

Please submit your questions on this thread. I will pick roughly 10 to ask him within the next week to ten days and will post his replies.

Strikes Out Looking
02-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Ask him if he has any Pedro Borbon stories. I've heard some from other ex-Reds and they are hilarious.

RollyInRaleigh
02-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Ask him if he has any Pedro Borbon stories. I've heard some from other ex-Reds and they are hilarious.

Like the time he left his dog in his apartment on a road trip to New York and was evicted when he returned? A friend was supposed to be watching the dog, but took the money that Borbon left him, dumped a 25 lb bag of food in the floor and left. The apartment was a shambles. Borbon is a funny and very unconventional character, and is still, a little bit scary.

ghettochild
02-19-2006, 03:39 PM
would you ever be interested in taking the coaching job for the reds if it ever came availible?

do you think pete deserves to be in the hall?

buckeyenut
02-19-2006, 07:31 PM
How difficult is it to coach or manage your son at the ML level?

What is your favorite memory as a baseball player? As a Cincinnati Red?

David Cubbedge
02-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Was it you that helped Griffey Jr. out of his slump early on last season or was it that incredible analysis Harold Reynolds had on his swing from Baseball Tonight?

Mario-Rijo
02-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Was it you that helped Griffey Jr. out of his slump early on last season or was it that incredible analysis Harold Reynolds had on his swing from Baseball Tonight?

That was good analysis by HR, wasn't it!?

dougflynn23
02-20-2006, 04:46 PM
:) It's been 30 years this year, so could you finally give a solid answer to the question that many of us still wonder...did you ask out of the lineup on the last day of 1976 with the batting title on the line, or were you kept out of the lineup by Sparky Anderson?

KoryMac5
02-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Please no Pete Rose and the HOF questions. Would he rather manage or work the front office.

westofyou
02-20-2006, 05:01 PM
:) It's been 30 years this year, so could you finally give a solid answer to the question that many of us still wonder...did you ask out of the lineup on the last day of 1976 with the batting title on the line, or were you kept out of the lineup by Sparky Anderson?
http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/trib2.gif

George Foster
02-20-2006, 08:21 PM
http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/trib2.gif
If a guy goes 4 for 4, or 4 for 5 the last game of the season, he deserves the batting title. He won it out right.

George Foster
02-20-2006, 08:26 PM
I would like to ask Sr. if he knew 4 years ago, what he knows now about Jr.'s injuries, would he have suggested to Jr. to move to first base full time. If Jr. would have moved to 1st four years ago, he would still have a chance at the all time home run record, and would not have two bolts in his hamstring.

dougflynn23
02-21-2006, 11:38 AM
http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/trib2.gif :) I'm aware of the official word on it, but at Reds Dream Week several of the players there told a different story. They said that Griffey's name was posted on the lineup card in the clubhouse and an hour before the game, Griffey & Sparky met, Griffey came out, talked to Pete Rose & Joe Morgan who went into Sparky's office and heated conversation occurred. After that, Griffey was called back in and came out a few minutes later telling teammates he had just been given a gag order by Sparky. I'd love to know how it played out in that office!

westofyou
02-21-2006, 12:00 PM
I'd love to know how it played out in that office!That would be a Baseball Rashomon for sure.

ochre
02-21-2006, 01:28 PM
whither kurosawa.

Rotater Cuff
02-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Was he at all "put out" by being bypassed by Billy Hatcher at 1st Base?

Yachtzee
02-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Since you mentioned it, I wouldn't mind hearing a Rickey Henderson Story.

I heard his interview on XM. I didn't know how much behind the scenes work it took to get him to the Mariners to play with Jr.

Did he get a ring or a World Series share playing for the 1990 team?

I'd like to see some of the questions our baseball historians could come up with.

Team Clark
02-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Ok. If this is the list of questons I will choose some and add some. Thank you for all who posted. I will more than likely be able to do the "interview" by this weekend.

Red in Chicago
02-22-2006, 11:18 PM
what about these two?

have you ever seen a grown man naked?
do you like movies about gladiators?

sorry, i couldn't resist...even at work, whenever we have an important meeting and the speaker asks if there are any questions, those two immediately pop up in my head and i crack a smile...one of these days, i'm going to get the nerve to raise my hand and ask them:devil: