PDA

View Full Version : Felipe Lopez decides against playing in WBC

dougdirt
02-19-2006, 03:49 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060219/SPT04/302190009/-1/CINCI

Greetings from the big field at Ed Smith Stadium.

Ken Griffey Jr. and Felipe Lopez are among a group of about a dozen position players who reported early, taking batting practice out here today. Standing behind the cage watching Griffey, it always amazes me that a swing so effortless can send a ball so far.
ADVERTISEMENT

A lot of players have trickled in. Austin Kearns and Adam Dunn are both in camp. Neither was with group hitting today.

Lopez has decided against playing for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic.

Tim from North Carolina, formerly of Hamilton, e-mailed with this:

"I read your stuff always. Can't get enough Reds news. My wife and I have tickets for March 19, 20 and 21. I'd like to know if there are any fan-related activities, hangouts, parties, etc. other than the games themselves in Sarasota. We had to move to South Carolina in '94 and miss Cincinnati very much. Anything you can think of would be appreciated."

My advice to him was to head for Siesta Key and the beach as soon as the games are over. Don't know of any other activities. Andy Furman will host WLW's sports show from Findaddy's on Beneva Road toward the end of spring training. Seg Dennison is already trying to line up guests.

Didnt see it posted and figured its pretty significant that he wont be playing for his country and would be with the Reds the entire spring.

Mario-Rijo
02-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Lopez has decided against playing for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic.

He's already thinking big contract isn't he? Never too soon my 5 yr old nephew's favorite player :felo: , never too soon!

TeamBoone
02-19-2006, 07:41 PM
02/19/2006 2:40 PM ET
Honored Lopez bows out of WBC
Shortstop prefers to prepare for upcoming season
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Reds shortstop Felipe Lopez announced Sunday that he has decided not to play for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic.
Lopez, who arrived early to Spring Training for Cincinnati on Saturday, said he needed to get ready for the upcoming regular season.

"I would love to represent my country, don't get me wrong," Lopez said. "We have a lot of new people that I want to get to know and work with. (Reds bench coach) Bucky Dent is our new infield coach. I really want to get acquainted with what he wants to do and his style of teaching everything."

Players participating in the World Baseball Classic have to leave their Major League club's Spring Training sites to practice and play in games with their countries. The inaugural tournament is scheduled from March 3-20.

After not starting out as a regular player last season, Lopez emerged to become an All-Star and Silver Slugger Award winner. The 25-year-old switch-hitter batted .291 with 23 home runs and 85 RBIs in 148 games and ranked first among National League shortstops in homers, RBIs and tied for the top in extra-base hits.

Reds backup catcher Javier Valentin is still expected to play for Puerto Rico in the WBC. Cincinnati has a total of six players that were named to participate, including center fielder Ken Griffey Jr. for Team USA and left fielder Wily Mo Pena for the Dominican Republic.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060219&content_id=1315662&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin