PDA

View Full Version : Prayer request: GAC's house has burned down

RedsBaron
02-21-2006, 07:41 AM
I just received a phone call from GAC. His house has reportedly burned to the ground. He was on his way home. Neighbors have told him that his three kids and his wife are safe, but apparently the house has been totally destroyed and his family has lost everything.
I will be gone most of today, but if I learn more I will post additional details. GAC obviously cannot post here at the moment. For now, please keep him and his family in your prayers.

RedFanAlways1966
02-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Oh my Lord. This is terrible news. Thank you, RB, for letting us know about this. Thank goodness everyone is safe.

GAC... everything will be alright in the end. Keep your head up and let any of us know if you need anything.

Bob Borkowski
02-21-2006, 07:47 AM
Wow, so sorry to hear this.:( What a shock but thankfully the family is safe. My prayers are going to all concerned.

remdog
02-21-2006, 07:49 AM
OMG! GAC, if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know buddy.

I hope and pray that the report of your family is OK is correct. Everything else can be overcome.

Prayers and best wishes....

Rem

RFS62
02-21-2006, 07:54 AM
Man, what terrible, terrible news.

Hang in there Greg, all your stuff can be replaced. Your family is safe, that's the important thing.

Prayers are with you

OnBaseMachine
02-21-2006, 07:58 AM
Horrible news. :( Really sorry to hear that, but fortunately the family made it out OK.

My prayers are with you and your family.

RBA
02-21-2006, 08:03 AM
That's just awful. I don't know what to say. Glad the family is safe.

SandyD
02-21-2006, 08:04 AM
So, so sorry to hear this, GAC. Glad your family is safe.

Hang in there, friend. And let us know how we can help.

Chip R
02-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Oh, no! What horrible news. :( Thank goodness everyone is OK.

RFS62
02-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Just got off the phone with him, they lost everything they own. The house is completely gutted.

His wife and kids are definitely safe though.

Super_Barry11
02-21-2006, 08:19 AM
So glad GAC and his family are safe!! My thoughts and prayers are with them!! :(

Roy Tucker
02-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Man oh man. What a terrible thing. I'm glad everyone is safe.

Hang in there sir.

Sweetstop
02-21-2006, 08:33 AM
So sorry. Be strong.

Cyclone792
02-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Wow, this is terrible :( Luckily everyone's safe, and that's the most important thing. My prayers are definitely with you guys.

Phil in BG
02-21-2006, 08:37 AM
What terrible news. You're in our thoughts and prayers. I am so glad your family is ok. This will draw your family even closer. Stay strong Greg.

SunDeck
02-21-2006, 08:38 AM
So glad he and the family were not harmed, but what an awful tragedy. Any ideas on how we can help out? Maybe it's too early for that.

Reds Fanatic
02-21-2006, 08:41 AM
This is a horrible news. Glad to see his family is safe. You and your family will be in my prayers.

TeamMorris
02-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Oh no!! Wow!!

I am SO sorry GAC! Like everyone said though...thank god the kids and your wife are safe! That is the most impotant things that were in that house!

We are here if you need us!

RedsFan75
02-21-2006, 08:53 AM
GAC, My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know better than most what you are going through.

My wife and I went through this early in our marriage. We'd been married 3 years. She was asleep in the bed and I was at work, she barely made it out, but she did make it out. We lost everything. I know it seems bleak now, but as long as everyone is safe the other stuff becomes irrelevant.

Please let us know if there is any way we can help.

gonelong
02-21-2006, 08:58 AM
I am sorry to hear that. Hand in the GAC, very glad to hear your family is OK.

GL

MrCinatit
02-21-2006, 09:04 AM
that is terrible news, GAC, and all of my hopes are with you that you will recover soon. i am glad your family is all right, though.

goingpostal111
02-21-2006, 09:05 AM
That is terrible news, it plain sucks!

I would mention my prayers would be with you but that would make this a religious thread and such have to be shut down, so I will just say "Thinking of you" :pray:

PS. does that mean the "pray" emoticon must be banned too?

GP in Cincinnati

ochre
02-21-2006, 09:10 AM
That's just awful. It's good to hear everyone apparently is ok.

Red Leader
02-21-2006, 09:13 AM
So sorry for your loss, GAC. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. Give lots of hugs and kisses to the family.

Heath
02-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Hang with'em GAC - give the wife and kids big hugs.

We're praying for you.

Blimpie
02-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Dear God--what a tragedy. GAC, you and your family will all be in my family's prayers.

This might be an inappropriate time to suggest as much...but would it be possible to funnel the "RedsZone Board Tip Jar" funds to GAC for those members who are okay with the gesture?

I was getting ready to mail my money order to RedRead (so that he could PayPal to the tip jar on my behalf). I think until GAC's insurance company can produce, the money could be better served elsewhere and we can worry about the Board a little bit later.

Just my thoughts,

Blimpie

Johnny Footstool
02-21-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm glad they are all safe. I hope they can stay strong and make it through this tragedy.

Is there a relief fund for the family, possibly through GAC's church? If so, could someone please post donation information?

traderumor
02-21-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm with JF, please let us know how/when we can donate.

I am praying for you now, Greg.

Az. Reds Fan
02-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Hang in there GAC, just know that we're all thinking of you and your family.

TeamCasey
02-21-2006, 09:32 AM
To any of you in contact with GAC,

Let us know the what's, how's and where's for how to help. I imagine some Walmart/Target/Restaurant sort of gifts cards would be most helpful right away for clothes and immediate necessities. Let us know if he's staying with family and if there's an address we can send stuff.

Thank goodness everyone's O.K. My heart goes out to you.

REDREAD
02-21-2006, 09:36 AM
I just wanted to show my support for GAC as well.

I've never met him in person, but I live in his area of Ohio, so if he needs anything... let me know.

vaticanplum
02-21-2006, 10:04 AM
We are all thinking of you GAC, here's hoping things can only get better.

registerthis
02-21-2006, 10:06 AM
So sorry to hear this, GAC. Hang in there! At least your family is safe, that's the most important thing. My prayers are with you. :(

halcyon
02-21-2006, 10:17 AM
GAC seems like a great guy. Tragic news, my thoughts and prayers are with you as well.

Redsland
02-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Oh my dear god. Words fail me, friend. Know you're in my thoughts. :cry:

Reds4Life
02-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Hang in there GAC, material possessions can be replaced, at least everyone is ok.

:(

Reds Nd2
02-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Terrible news. I'm glad the family is safe.

westofyou
02-21-2006, 10:25 AM
GAC, if you need anything sooner than later please ask. I'm glad you and yours are fine.

Larkin Fan
02-21-2006, 10:29 AM
My God, this is awful. Thank God everyone made it out safely though. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, GAC. If there's anything I can do, let me know.

IslandRed
02-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Sorry to hear it. But stuff can be replaced, people can't, so thank the Lord for that.

If someone close to the situation can let us all know how to help, please do.

TeamMorris
02-21-2006, 10:44 AM
I was thinking about getting together a donation drive like we did for Sandy. I would be willing to once again collect through paypal or you could send checks and/or money orders.

I like TC's idea with gift cards also! We could do one or both. Everyone let me know what you think?!

Yachtzee
02-21-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss GAC. It's tough to lose things like that, especially those things of sentimental value. I'm glad to hear your family is okay. That's what's important. You and your family are in my thoughts.

macro
02-21-2006, 10:57 AM
GAC, I am so saddened by this. It makes me feel sick to imagine. You and your family will be in my prayers. Give them an extra hug tonight.

TeamMorris
02-21-2006, 11:16 AM

I would mention my prayers would be with you but that would make this a religious thread and such have to be shut down, so I will just say "Thinking of you" :pray:

GP in Cincinnati

:angry::thumbdown

MWM
02-21-2006, 11:24 AM
My goodness, what a bombshell. Like others, I have no words for such a loss. Whatever you need, just ask buddy. We're all glad to be of service to you and your family as we know you would od the same.

SteelSD
02-21-2006, 11:30 AM
GAC, please let me know if there's anything at all you or your family need. Thank goodness your family is fine and my family's thoughts and prayers are with you.

If anyone has an address at which GAC and his family can receive mail, please PM me.

RFS62
02-21-2006, 11:33 AM
I just spoke to him, and he sounded shaken and still in a state of shock. He thinks the water heater caused the blaze. His daughter heard the smoke detectors and got the kids out. Both parents apparently were at work.

The clothes on their backs are all they have left.

He has good insurance, it sounds like. They should put him in a hotel immediately and an apartment or bigger living space as soon as he finds one during the rebuilding process.

I tell everyone this. You really, really need to take a video camera and go through every room of your house, make a very, very slow pan of the room, open the closet doors, go very, very slow. His biggest aggravation now will be listing every single thing that was in that house in order to claim it on his insurance. If you're going by memory, you'll miss thousands of dollars in stuff you can claim.

And give the tape to someone else to keep, or it will burn with your stuff, God forbid you should have a fire.

I told him RedsBaron had a thread up, and he said thanks for everyone's prayers and well wishes.

GridironGrace
02-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Sorry to hear about this GAC.

Your in our Thoughts and prayers.

How old are the kids? I may have some cloths i could mail somewhere or something.. i dunno.. just let me know if theres any kind of donations that need to be given and i'll do what i can from here in So. Kentucky.

Reds4Life
02-21-2006, 11:42 AM
I just spoke to him, and he sounded shaken and still in a state of shock. He thinks the water heater caused the blaze. His daughter heard the smoke detectors and got the kids out. Both parents apparently were at work.

The clothes on their backs are all they have left.

He has good insurance, it sounds like. They should put him in a hotel immediately and an apartment or bigger living space as soon as he finds one during the rebuilding process.

I tell everyone this. You really, really need to take a video camera and go through every room of your house, make a very, very slow pan of the room, open the closet doors, go very, very slow. His biggest aggravation now will be listing every single thing that was in that house in order to claim it on his insurance. If you're going by memory, you'll miss thousands of dollars in stuff you can claim.

And give the tape to someone else to keep, or it will burn with your stuff, God forbid you should have a fire.

I told him RedsBaron had a thread up, and he said thanks for everyone's prayers and well wishes.

His daughter deserves a lot of praise, sounds like she saved the lives of her brothers and sisters.

For everyone at Redszone, please go home tonight and check the batteries in your smoke detectors, and if you don't have any detectors go buy some, they can save your life.

OldRightHander
02-21-2006, 11:45 AM
I don't know what to say. We will certainly pray. I don't have a lot of extra things since I went through a fire and a flood a few years ago and had to replace everything as well. I think I have some clothes I could part with, stuff that doesn't fit me anymore (I haven't missed many meals.) The things I miss the most are the pictures. Everything else can be replaced.

pedro
02-21-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this GAC. Glad your family is OK.

Tommyjohn25
02-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Good Lord!! :( My most heartfelt condolences and prayers to you and your family GAC. Hang in there, we're here for you when you need us.

KronoRed
02-21-2006, 12:16 PM
You and your family have my prayers GAC..I'm so sorry to hear this happened.

Dom Heffner
02-21-2006, 12:22 PM
GAC- So sorry to hear about this. You are in my thoughts. :)

TeamMorris
02-21-2006, 12:27 PM
The things I miss the most are the pictures. Everything else can be replaced.

Yes, pictures were my first though of things that can't be replaced. I am planning to put a disc or two together of what I have for him of our RZ gatherings and stuff. He always asked me if I would send them to him...I had many I never posted that he has (had) copies of. I think he would like it.

Everyone should get a hotmail or gmail account also. Now that they have HUGE storage, I always send myself copies of my digital pictures for just this type of reason. You never know what can happen!

Tommyjohn25
02-21-2006, 12:35 PM

GP in Cincinnati

You've GOT to be kidding me. Go postal somewhere else bud, this isn't the thread for it.:thumbdown

bucksfan
02-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Oh my goodness! I am so very sorry to read this. My prayers are with you and your family, GAC. With the spirit you exude here onredszone, I know you and your family will pull through this.

savafan
02-21-2006, 12:51 PM
GAC, I'm very shocked and saddened to hear this. Like everyone else said, let me know what I can do to help, and I'll do it. Money, donations, whatever. I don't have much, but I have more than I need, and I'd be happy to give what I can.

Sean_CaseyRules
02-21-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm sorry about this GAC! You and your family are you in my prayers

TeamBoone
02-21-2006, 01:06 PM
I learned about this earlier from TeamMorris so I've had some time to recover from the initital shock... but not the horror.

I am serious when I say that if you need a helping hand, please PM me.

RedsBaron
02-21-2006, 01:26 PM
When GAC phoned me this morning, I was just about to leave for a court hearing in Charleston. As soon as I got back to my Huntington office, I immediately accessed this thread. I then phoned Greg, who was at Sears with his family buying clothes-they have literally lost virtually everything by way of material possessions, but they are okay physically.
Greg was in relatively good spirits, considering the circumstances. He said he and his family will be staying with his brother tonight. He will try to get on a computer tonight and give everyone here an update.
He wanted to thanks everyone for their good wishes and prayers. He said he had good insurance and that the insurer has been very prompt and attentive. I told him we want to help in any way we can. He then had to get off his phone to go eat lunch, assuming that his stomach, which he admitted had been in knots, will let him.

Tommyjohn25
02-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Great to hear that he seems to be holdong up relatively well. This is so sad and unfortunate.

KronoRed
02-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the update RedsBaron

Hap
02-21-2006, 02:02 PM
http://www.peakofohio.com/content/view/62/50/

RosieRed
02-21-2006, 02:12 PM
GAC, I'm so sorry to hear this, and I'm so glad you and your family are safe. You're in my thoughts. Hope everyone is hanging in there.

RollyInRaleigh
02-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Man, I'm so sorry to hear this news. My thoughts and prayers are with you, GAC, and I know that eventually, everything will be allright. If there is anything that I can do, or anything that you need, please give me an e-mail.

creek14
02-21-2006, 02:29 PM
RB or 62, when you talk to Greg again, please let him know that if he needs anything, Bob and I can be in his area in an hour.

Hang in there Greg, I know you have already been through a lot with your health and your wife's health. You'll make it through this. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Puffy
02-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Sorry to hear this GAC - stay strong buddy!

LoganBuck
02-21-2006, 02:49 PM
GAC, so terribly sorry for your loss. Let me know if I can help in any way.

roundboy22
02-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Prayers are with you

Falls City Beer
02-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Wow. This is the kind of thing that puts it all in perspective. Give that family of yours an impossibly long hug, GAC. You're going to need them, and they're going to need you. I'll have you in my thoughts, friend.

Boss-Hog
02-21-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about this, GAC. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

RedsBaron
02-21-2006, 04:58 PM
I just talked to GAC again. TeamMorris has agreed to coordinate donation efforts, and I have given her the name and address of GAC's brother.
He is still in good spirits, on the surface, holding up for everyone else. He will try to post here later tonight.

Gallen5862
02-21-2006, 05:08 PM
You are in my prayers Gac. I am glad you and your family are safe.

MartyFan
02-21-2006, 05:12 PM
GAC

Just read this post...sorry for everything you lost but very grateful that you and your family are safe.

reds1869
02-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Very sorry to hear about this! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

GAC
02-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Hello everyone. I just want you all to know that myself and family are safe. I've had to be the emotionally strong one all day as everyone else in my family was breaking down. But after reading the responses on this forum I'm having a good cry right now, and it's making it very hard to type.

This won't be one of my usual long-winded threads because I am emotionally spent, having been up since 5 PM yesterday.

I'm a 3rd shifter, so I was at work. My wife had left for work around 5:30 this morning. It broke out around 6 AM with alot smoke that filled the house. I wasn't there, but after listening to my kids give statements later on, and how the house quickly filled with thick smoke, and my kids (teens) were there all alone, my wife broke down thinking of what could have happened. I reminded her that it didn't though, and not to dwell on that.

As the smoke wsa starting to build, my oldest boy was in our bedroom and closed the door, thinking that would stop it. Quick-witted Rachel, and Sam, ran outside and around the house to the back to survey and see what was going on. Rachel then went up to the sliding glass door on our bedroom, banged on it, and told Aaron that he needs to get out now. They went to the neighbors who called 9-11. Five minutes later the house went up in flames and the roof started to collapse. This was around 6:30 AM.

May God be praised is all I can say at this moment.

By the time I was contacted at work, and got home, there were 4 firetrucks there, and ther house was already gone. Yes, we lost everything except for the clothes on our backs (and Sam escaped wearing one of my pajama bottoms). But that is not important to me. Those things will all be replaced.

They are still there "stirring" and putting out spots as I type this.

Our insurance, which is very good, has responded very well today. I've already talked with our agent who is on the ball, and also adjusters.

Right now, due to fatique, I don't know what were are going to do at this moment. But we have family and friends surrounding us, offering plenty of help and assistance, so with the Lord's help we will be O.K.

The most important thing is that my family is safe. We will recover. Alot of it, again due to extreme fatigue, hasn't really set in for me.

RedsBaron and rfs have been invaluable through all of this today. I just can't say enough about them, or all of you. They have my brother's address and phone #. For right now, that will be my base of operations till we decide what to do. I'm looking to get a temporary PO Box, but just haven't gotten that far yet. I would have called some of you others too, but my cellphone, which is my only form of communication right now is about drained. I just now bought some chargers for them.

I'll keep in touch (or rfs and RB will for me). And again - I can't thank all of you enough. Just seeing your outpouring of support and prayers has brought me to tears (and I'm not a crier).

The link by Hap to PeakofOhio says it all (and shows pics). I guess we have also already been on TV (Dayton 7), which will rebroadcast. I don't like getting on TV this way (my sense of humor is keeping me going right now)

I love you all, and may God bless you.

Greg

pedro
02-21-2006, 05:33 PM
That's absolutely frightening GAC. So glad your kids got out OK. Sounds like just in the nick of time, too.

We're all thinking of you and your family. Stay strong.

Puffy
02-21-2006, 05:45 PM
GAC - don't forget to tell the insurance company about your Picasso painting. That baby was worth at least a couple of million dollars!

paintmered
02-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Wow. I get home and find this news. :(

GAC, you and your family are in my prayers. If there's anything I can be of assistance with, please don't hesitate to ask.

GIK
02-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the update, GAC. You and your family are in my thoughts. I'm not sure what else to type because I can't even imagine what you're going through. Stay strong.

WVRed
02-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Hang in there GAC, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family right now.

registerthis
02-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Wow, that is so scary. You've got some bright and quick-thinking children, GAC. Thank God they were able to get out. I'll certainly be thinking of you, buddy. Hang in there.

KronoRed
02-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Glad to see you are all ok GAC

KittyDuran
02-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Glad to see you are all ok GAC
Same here... Keep your chin up, buddy! :)

traderumor
02-21-2006, 07:33 PM
I can't even imagine what you're going through, just know we will help any way we can.

UKFlounder
02-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Wow - I wasn't expecting to see this kind of thread here.

Like everyone else, I'm glad the destruction was limited to material items, not to your family.

I really don't know what else to say, other than I'm glad you and your family are all right.

HotCorner
02-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Stay strong GAC. You and your family will be in my prayers.

KYRedsFan
02-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Thinking about you in this horrible time

redsfan30
02-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Never like to hear this about anyone, but it particularly hits home when it happens to one of your own.

Stay strong....you will get through this rough time soon. Even though sports are last on your list of priorities at this horrible time, take comfort in the fact that Reds season is almost upon us. The great game of baseball and the Cincinnati Reds can be a great healer over time. The games will offer you a somewhat relaxing time each night that you and your family can just enjoy being together. Sure, the games are most likely not going to be as enjoyable for you for awhile, but rest assured, they will offer some help.

Again, stay strong. You'll get through this.

Redsfaithful
02-21-2006, 10:50 PM
So sorry to hear this GAC, but I'm so glad to hear everyone's safe.

GAC
02-22-2006, 05:27 AM
I finally collapsed last night about 10 PM, but find myself wide awake at 2 AM, unable to sleep. So I thought I'd ramble down to my brother's den, logged on (never knew how much I disliked dial-up internet), and burn some time on here. Believe me, it is very theuraputic for me, right now to just talk. So bare with me this morning, as I may ramble on (something I have never been guilty of). ;)

Again - I can't tell you all enough of how much your responses and kind offers have touched me and my family. When I told my wife of what was going on on Redszone, she was simply overwhelmed. I told her that this is so much more, at least for me, then a simple sports forum. It's a retreat, or form of release.

What has occurred yesterday, and believe me, I have never in my 50 years on this earth had to go through anything like this, has deeply and profoundly changed me as a person (and for the good too).

Ideologies, differences, prejudices, whatever, that divide people and keep them at a distance - those "walls" have been utterly torn down for me. They hold no substance or value when one thinks of it. Or when one goes through such a circumstance as what we have just went through. In a way, it is saddening that it takes a circumstance like yesterday to "awaken" someone to this truth.

Believe me when I say this in all sincerity, and please don't misunderstand my intent - I can now sympathize and understand far, far greater now then ever before, with people whom I've never known or met, yet have read or heard about in my life, that have suffered such similar losses/tragedies. Because I, and my family, are now experiencing the same. As a Christian, I am a firm believer in "trial by fire that refines". That though on the surface it looks like a pit that one cannot escape or understand it's relevancy...or even comprehend what good can ever came out of any of this - "I mean, MY GOD I just lost every material possession that we own" - I cannot claim to be a person of faith, while not holding onto the hope that God is/will be at work in this tragedy. As I have already stated, less then 24 hours after all this has occurred, it already has had it's effect in just this short time. That, IMO, is a far greater miracle I've read about in the Bible, because it is experiential personally, and has hit home. Our material possessions will be replaced. And for the next 6 months or so, our lives will be in a period of adjustment and change.

The material aspects of my world can be destroyed in an instant (such as by a fire). But the spiritual aspect can be refined by that same "fire".

Funny how that works.

I can allow myself to be "crushed" spiritually (and the temptation was there many times yesterday)... or I can try to find a way to utilize this situation to make me, and the members of my family, stronger and better human beings.

I was always good at coming up with my nice little "preaching lessons", and giving advice to others, on "having faith"... "trust in God, he is at work in all things".... yadda, yadda, yadda.

Now it comes "home to roost" so to speak. Now is when it has to be put into practical application, or it is just empty words and cliches. ;)

Does what I have just said make sense to anyone? Or do I just need more sleep and less of my brother's coffee (which you could cut with a knife!)? :lol:

Last night, my wife and I were sitting around their dining room table and basically reviewing the day, while planning what is in store for us in this new day. I already have my notepad and pen making my list of things to do. And it seems to grow every 5 minutes as someone reminds me... "Don't forget you have to do this too."

We lost all of our personal files, records, documents (SS cards, birth certificates, etc., etc.). So when rfs tells you earlier to make solid preparations to protect those items for "in case of " situations - PLEASE TAKE HIS WORDS TO HEART. I have. And it will never happen to me again. I am a very organizational person who keeps exacting records. Little good that is doing us now when I didn't take the steps to PROTECT them. It's very hard to read ashes. ;)

Anyway, I digress... we were talking about all the outpourings of people wanting to help and offer assistance in many different forms, and what should we do? Friends - what occurred yesterday was yes indeed a gut wrenching tragedy. We lost everything materially speaking. And when my wife started thinking of what more could have happened if our kids hadn't gotten out of the house when they did, it effected her in such a profound and emotional way that I thought she was going to have a breakdown. That is when I had to be strong and intervene - "Don't beat yourself up on what could have been; but what did happen. Dwell on that....the kids got out safely and are fine."

But as I sit here in solitude this morning in my brother's den, where no one can see me, and think of "what could have happened" - I do cry. But my brother's keyboard is a Dell and under warranty. This will be our little secret. ;)

When it came to people trying to offer us assistance, such as financial aid, clothing and such, our first reaction was to profoundly thank everyone, but we just didn't know how to react or what to do.

And then a few friends told us (basically)... "Look. People understand that you are in a better position financially to help get you through this, and that you do have some money saved, and that your insurance has stepped in immediately. That is all and well. But you and your family can't see the future over the next several months and various exenditures you are going to incur. And people WANT to help. Let them."

And even as I type this I am still having a hard time accepting it and swallowing my male ego and pride. My wife's employer has given her a 30 day leave from work to help with our transition, tend to the kids, etc. I am off the rest of this week from work to tend to various matters also.

And again, I cannot thank each and everyone of you enough. I see where TeamMorris has started a thread (God bless you girl). And rfs and RB (no greater friends in my book) have my brother's address. I am going to set up a PO Box in Bellefontaine temporarily until we get settled somewhere. Any donations given will be graciously accepted, and I just don't know how to repay each and every one of you. I know that I don't - but again, that is just my male ego speaking.

Your prayers and thoughts have already been more then enough. Believe me.

We were at WalMarts in Bellefontaine yesterday and she got a call on her cell from a girl at work who wanted to know where we were right then. We told her and she said she'd be right there. We just thought she wanted to see Jackie and check up on here since my wife had just gotten to work, had to leave in a rush, and many of her co-workers heard. There was of course an emotional bonding and hugging right there in the middle of a WalMarts between these two woman (I had a hard time not crying myself). She then handed Jackie several hundred dollars from co-workers who had raised a quick donation, and said there was more coming because many weren't prepared to give at the time. I am just simply overwhelmed. I have heard, from my supervisor whom I talked with last night - he came down after we had left and drove by my house and said he couldn't believe it - that it the same effort in my department where I work.

And since my "situation" made the front page of the Bellefontaine news yesterday, I know there are many others in this town that are trying to search us out. My faith in the human spirit (and heart) has been greatly revived after the incidents of yesterday. I am not even going to try and relate to you all the many, many instances of neighbors, family, co-workers, and friends who have rushed to our sides in just one day! It would be my longest post ever! ;)

We went to JC Penney, WalMarts, and various other stores yesterday afternoon, and bought clothings and basic necessities. In that area were a doing fine. I'm gonna deeply miss my Redszone T-shirt with all the holes in it. I wore it as a "mantle of pride" (it's a guy thing). ;)

Isn't it funny how one can spend their whole life gathering memorabilia and what-knots that you take for granted -and you really don't know how much you miss them until you no longer have them? When my wife and I finally had the time last night to sit down and reflect on those losses that really mean the most to us. It was not the furniture, appliances, etc. But the 25 years of photos, home movies, and physical testimony of those memories we have built together. And when we started to go down that list, it became very painful.

Every book that I have ever owned is now gone! All of my Reds memorabilia, the same. All that hurts far more on a personal level then losing anything else. It just hasn't registered yet.

Do you know what one of my goals is over the next several months? And yes, I know we face many hurdles as a family. It is to somehow still be able to make it to any Redszone gathering... but this time bring my entire family, so they can meet my "extended" family, and somehow expose them, and allow them get to know each and every one of you in the intimate way that I have come to know you. Some of you I have never gotten to meet face-to-face. But I feel I DO know you just from the many years I have been on here. And over the last fews years I've gotten to meet more of you. May that never change.

I will also PM TeamMorris the same personal info that I gave rfs and RB.

I wish I could PM each and everyone of you, and relate to you personally my deep gratitude and feelings. But this thread will have to do. Once we get situated somewhere within the next week, my attempts to have internet access will become very limited. We plan on being here at my brothers for the next day or so until we meet further with adjusters, agents, and make that decision.

I'm going to try and find me a laptop, and figure out how to get internet access simply because it would greatly help me re-establish and conduct business and financial actions that save me from alot of traveling.

God bless each and everyone of you. I'll be in touch.

Greg

TeamCasey
02-22-2006, 06:35 AM
*big hug*

Try to get some more sleep.

letsgojunior
02-22-2006, 06:35 AM
GAC that's truly admirable. I've always admired people who have been knocked down by life and don't crawl into a corner and feel bad for themselves (aka me:)). Just take things one day, one minute at a time.

RedFanAlways1966
02-22-2006, 07:41 AM
GAC, you are an inspiration for anyone going through a rough time. Despite all the losses you suffered in this fire, you still have the most important things in life... family, friends, your faith and a great attitude. Everyday will lead to back to a "normal" life for you and yours. There will be some valleys on the way there, but your family and attitude will make it okay. Thanks for making everyone here realize what is important in life!

Blimpie
02-22-2006, 09:02 AM
GAC:

Write, write and write some more. The outpouring you just displayed helps you in ways you cannot know. On the flip side, it will help others learn a life's lesson (hopefully) without having to repeat your tragedy.

Appreciate everything you have in this world.

God bless you...

Tommyjohn25
02-22-2006, 09:05 AM
GAC, I've never personally met you since I have never made it to any of the Redszone gatherings (I'm going this year though). But I've always enjoyed your posts and you come off as a very good person. That post you just wrote was one of the most admirable, honorable, and bravest things I've ever read. I lost everything I owned once too when I was eighteen, via robbery not fire, and my thoughts about humanity were pretty much the polar opposite of yours for a few days. This shows what a great person you are, thank you for being a true inspiration GAC, God bless you.

RFS62
02-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Adversity doesn't build character. It reveals it.

TeamBoone
02-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us (and what thoughts they are!).

You're strong and you'll get through this, but the wounds will take a bit of time to heal. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. You're living proof of that.

What fs said above; how true it is.

Don't let your health suffer though. Try to get some sleep.

Tommyjohn25
02-22-2006, 10:57 AM
Adversity doesn't build character. It reveals it.

One of my favorite sayings RFS.

KronoRed
02-22-2006, 11:46 AM
*big hug*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/Kronosb/BigHug.gif

TeamMorris
02-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Yes GAC...I agree!! Please use this thread as your own personal outlet any time you feel the need! We are all here for you:beerme:. I will be intouch soon Via PM:)

westofyou
02-22-2006, 03:14 PM
So... I'm going to make a GAC care package...

I'll burn him all my Beatles and Paul CD's and any others that he feels that he can't live without

I'll also get together some of my doubles of baseball books, cards and reds stuff.... that should help seed him.

If anyone wants to add to that let me know,

I'm looking for Sgt Peppers on CD, Hey Jude (or the Beatles Compilations) any Lennon solo stuff and the early Meet the Beatles stuff. I have Help -Let it Be aside from Yellow Submarine and Hey Jude.

Plus I think I have an older discman I might throw in there if I can find it.

Another thing he'll need is software, that will include spyware, image stuff, quicken, or what not... I'm going to put some of that together too.

Money and clothes are probably going to be the first stuff they get, but it's little things they'll eventually need.... silverware, plates, glassware and stuff like that will be what they think of buying when they get started... later on it's the stuff that you forget about that will frustrate you or break your heart.

TeamMorris
02-22-2006, 03:31 PM

I'll burn him all my Beatles and Paul CD's and any others that he feels that he can't live without

I'll also get together some of my doubles of baseball books, cards and reds stuff.... that should help seed him.

I'm looking for Sgt Peppers on CD, Hey Jude (or the Beatles Compilations) any Lennon solo stuff and the early Meet the Beatles stuff. I have Help -Let it Be aside from Yellow Submarine and Hey Jude.

Another thing he'll need is software, that will include spyware, image stuff, quicken, or what not... I'm going to put some of that together too.

Money and clothes are probably going to be the first stuff they get, but it's little things they'll eventually need.... silverware, plates, glassware and stuff like that will be what they think of buying when they get started... later on it's the stuff that you forget about that will frustrate you or break your heart.

Perfect!! Maybe next time you talk to him (or anyone), find out what music his kids like/lost also. I am sure they would be very happy to get whatever also. This is one of those times that I wish I would hit the lottery...of course it would help if I played it every now and then!

redsfan30
02-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Maybe instead of giving GAC cash donations, Redszone could just pool all the money together and buy something big for him. Kitchen appliances, beds, television, family computer...something like that. Something alittle more personal than just a cash donation.

Just a thought.

creek14
02-22-2006, 03:51 PM
GAC buddy, this is how much I like you. I'm sending you one of my Adam Dunn Bobbleheads. Yes, I am parting with something Adam related!!

Well, I'm gonna wait until you are a little more settled.

Also, what size does Samuel wear?

RBA
02-22-2006, 03:53 PM
This is just me, maybe GAC wouldn't do this. But I would be filling out the form for Extreme Makevoer Home Edition. They do some great work. I know it's a long shot, but I would give it a try.

Heath
02-22-2006, 03:59 PM
This is just me, maybe GAC wouldn't do this. But I would be filling out the form for Extreme Makevoer Home Edition. They do some great work. I know it's a long shot, but I would give it a try.

That takes a little time, BUT - the human interest side of the story is what makes the difference.

I would seriously check into this.

creek14
02-22-2006, 04:05 PM
http://abc.go.com/primetime/xtremehome/casting.html

Larkin Fan
02-22-2006, 04:12 PM

I've got Sgt. Pepper on CD (GAC burned it for me, ironically), so I can take care of that, WOY. I've also got some Deep Purple (Machine Head and a Best of disc) and Led Zeppelin stuff that I'd be happy to burn as well. Also if someone will find out what his kids like I'll see what I can do about that as well. I'd actually thought about this last night, but WOY beat me to the punch. Great minds think alike.

TeamMorris
02-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Maybe instead of giving GAC cash donations, Redszone could just pool all the money together and buy something big for him. Kitchen appliances, beds, television, family computer...something like that. Something alittle more personal than just a cash donation.

Just a thought.

I understand what you are saying (very thoughtful I might add also) but the real "big" stuff will (should) be covered in his home insurance and sadly enough, as far as major things go...he has no place to put them right now even if we did get something right now.

The donations that we are getting together is more or less for him and his family to do what they would like to do with pretty much the minute they get it without waiting for the paperwork to clear or worrying if the insurance company would approve. They need so many little things along with the big and our donations will help them get it. I don't care if he takes some of the money and he and his wife go out and get a little drunk and have a good cry together...anything that helps get them through this! Maybe a small shopping spree as a family, a nice dinner and movie, anything to help and/or make them forget for just a few hours. Just my thoughts...everyone may not agree and that is more than fine! I'm a lover...not a fighter;) Just seems to have helped with others in the past when in great need.

Reds Fanatic
02-22-2006, 04:38 PM

I have the Beatles 1962-1966 and 1967-1970 compilation CDS that have most of their great songs on those 4 CDS. I could burn those for GAC if you tell me where to send them. I have a big CD collection so if he or his kids want anything ask and if I have it I would be happy to make copies for them.

GIK
02-22-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm also putting together a package for GAC tonight. GAC, what size shirt do you (your family) wear? Other clothing (sizes) you might need? I have a few Reds items I will pass along as well. :)

MWM
02-22-2006, 05:05 PM
I"ve got a bunch of spare Michigan clothes if you're interested! :evil:

redsfan30
02-22-2006, 05:08 PM
I understand that his homeowners insurance will pick up a large portion of his personal property. I should know, I'm an agent. But personal property coverage is percentage based off of how much coverage you have on the dwelling itself. Most companies are anywhere from 60-80% for personal property coverage. It's a good amount, but in a total loss, it's probably not enough.

You're probably right that big material/practical gifts aren't best right now as he unfortunetly has no place to put them so for now cash and care packages are best.

KronoRed
02-22-2006, 05:21 PM
I"ve got a bunch of spare Michigan clothes if you're interested! :evil:
They can be turned inside out ;)

westofyou
02-22-2006, 05:22 PM
They can be turned inside out ;)
That's the style now..

registerthis
02-22-2006, 05:24 PM

I've got several Paul McCartney solo discs that are quite good that I'd be happy to kick in. Not much in the way of reds memorabalia, unfortunately...I've never been much of a collector.

RBA
02-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Nice Laptop Deal here at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7631397&type=product&id=1130986533034

Reds Nd2
02-22-2006, 09:48 PM

I can't help with the Beatles stuff, but if you need any Springsteen, Janis Joplin, The Doors, or Aerosmith, just let me know. I'll be glad to burn a copy of anything I have for you.

cincinnati chili
02-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Wow. Yes, I'm thoroughly relieved to hear that there were no injuries, but you did not deserve this. This is awful, and I wish you more strength and patience than I have.

Playadlc
02-23-2006, 12:50 AM
GAC, unbelievable character, man.

After what has happened to you, for you to thank the Lord given your situation is a true testament to your faith.

You are a good man. I wish you all the best.

GAC
02-23-2006, 06:43 AM
I can't believe this! RB called me last night, after an exhausting, yet very successful day, and told me about the further responses on here.

I'm not a crier; but you all have turned me into a "man of many tears". Tears of deep appreciation. I have never been overwhelmed emotionally as I have been by the offerings and support of such great friends. I can't tell you how much my wife and I's "spirits" have been lifted over the last two days.

I want to use this thread to keep you all updated on our situation while I still have internet (brother's) for the next few days. After that, there may be a "lapse". RBA - thanks for the laptop link. That is something I need to get, plus internet, because I do so much of my financial/business over it. I may have to use the public library temporarily. It depends on how fast they find us temporary residence.

But I want to keep all of you informed as best I can because of your concern, and wanting to help.

clothing - we are doing good. My wife and I, over the last 2 days, have went out and found several sales at such places as Penney's, Sears, and others. My wife has always been good a "sniffing out a sale", and we have pretty much replaced our kid's school clothes, winter coats, etc. And the same goes for us. And we will continue to gradually, as time permits, add to their wardrobe. But right now, they are doing good.

household items - until we get temporary residence, we really have no place to put anything right now. When the household content adjuster came up Tuesday afternoon, he walked around the property with me, and then stated "there's nothing here to evaluate. It's nothing but piles of ash." They then handed us an upfront check for $5,0000. As I stated before - we have excellent home owners insurance (All-State). One really doesn't know how good it is though until you need it.

So that, coupled with our personal savings/income tax refund, has put us in a better position then most who have gone through similar tragedies. In fact, we have had such an outpouring from the community and friends, that it has caused my wife and I to somehow suffer from the guilts. Or maybe it is just pride. I have talked with rfs, RB, and family over these feelings, and all have given us solid advice (which I need and deeply appreciate right now). And I think I expressed that advice earlier - "People WANT to reach out and help when one - even one you don't know pesonally - have suffered a tragedy. And even though you may be sitting better then most are, who have gone through a similar situation, you don't know what unexpected expenses you are going to incure of the next 6-7 months. Let the people help you, you BIG DUMBASS! (that's how rfs puts it. And I always listen to my disaster relief advisor. ;) ).

But my Mom gave us some sound advice yesterday. At the end of the "process", she recommended "As it has been given to you, abundantly and overflowingly - give back." So whether it is the Red Cross (who has been there for us), or whoever, we are going to do this. We will look to the Lord for guidance in that area.

To those of you who have made such kind and generous offers (woy, creek and anyone else who I just cannot recall at this present moment) - THANK YOU! The offer of music, and the Dunn bobblehead. Those bobbleheads I had came from you here on Redszone. ;)

It hasn't really sunk in yet; but I am gonna miss the two WS mugs from the 75/76 Reds, and all the other Red's memoribilia.

To MWM - my daughter would take the Michigan stuff (she's a traitor!). :lol:

At some point and time, we will have those personal items replaced. I'm talking about the kid's toys, game systems, music, etc. I had to sit them down last night and have a good "heart to heart" with them, to also lessen any fears and apprehensions they may have since they lost all their "stuff." There is some memoribilia that will be gone forever, and can't be replaced. But we will do the best we can. My son Samuel (who is now 10) lost his entire Buzz Lightyear/Woody action doll collection. He had more action figures then Pixar! But his Nintendo Gamecube w/games will be replaced. As well as all of their boardgames. Rachel had an extensive music CD collection. Again, it will be replaced at some point.

My wife and I have decided that we are going to go out and allow them to buy something, so that they can have something they can again call their own. But they are good kids, and understand the process, and what is going on. The hard part is going to have to sit down, room by room, and document/list everything they/we lost.

But right now, until we get temporary dwelling established (which I hope happens in the next several days/week), their cousin's "stuff" is helping them through it. They all have similar interests.

Yesterday went very well....

Drove up to work and turned in personal leave papers, drove over to the house to met the structure adjustor, and contacted various utilities, etc., to get stuff discontinued/shut off. Living in a small/mid-sized town, they all already knew our situation, and were very supportive. We went to our kid's school, and the teachers said they were already on top of the situation, have the kid's lessons prepared, and will help to get them caught up. We have to go back up to the house today to meet the investigator, and the wife will then pick up those lessons.

My employer called, while we were getting a bite at Bob Evans, and said they rushed my request through immediately, and to "forget" about Honda for the next several days, and to tend to my family/needs. Jackie's employer gave her a 30 day leave (I'll return to work Sunday night) to help even more with the kids and various other matters.

The adjustor yesterday was also amazed. He came up to get measurements, and basically said "There is nothing to measure, as far as room dimensions, etc." So we simply measured around the outside. He also explain in further details this aspect of our policy, and did an excellent job. We are going to have more then enough money to either rebuild, or maybe go with a modular. Today I have to get estimates on site cleanup, an also from contractors.

GOOD NEWS - I was able to go inside yesterday, and went into our bedroom. The bed is still there, but it was basically buried when the roof collapsed. I asked the neighbor if I could borrow a rake and shovel, and began to dig the bed out. I shined a flashlight underneath, and there were our family videos (15 in all). I pulled them out, they were intact and dry as a bone. I played some of them last night, and they play fine. What a miracle! What I have to do know though is get them transferred onto DVD somehow. But that is one aspect of my life that was returned to us.

Yesterday, in my many drives, I kept listening to the new McCartney CD, and the song "Too Much Rain." I bet I listened to it 15 times. The lyrics really spoke to me, because the song is about the "process" from the beginning of one's struggles, and concerns hope in the face of adversity...

Laugh, when your eyes are burning
Smile, when your heart is filled with pain

Sigh, as you brush away your sorrow
Make a vow, that's it's not going to happen again

It's not right, in one life
Too much rain

You, know the wheels keep turning
Why, do the tears run down your face

We, use to hide away our feelings
But for now, tell yourself it won't happen again

It's not right, in one life
Too much rain

It's too much for anyone, Too hard for anyone
Who wants a happy and peaceful life
You've gotta learn to laugh

Smile, when your spinning round and round
Sigh, as you think about tomorrow
Make a vow, that your gonna be happy again

It's all right, in your life
No more rain

It's too much for anyone, Too hard for anyone
Who wants a happy and peaceful life
You've gotta learn to laugh

I have some pics, but my brother's computer, for some reason, will not let me upload them on here. Can I email them top someone who can do it for me? Thanks!

TeamCasey
02-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Email them to me. I have plenty of space for pics. I'll PM you my address.

SandyD
02-23-2006, 07:49 AM
GAC,

I know exactly how you feel regarding the guilt, etc. It's hard, but just think of all the times you've reached out to someone in need. I suspect you've done your fair share of giving. Now, it's your turn to receive a bit.

Here's a thought I heard from a Christian man on Katrina. I think it's a healthy attitude, and somewhat applies here.

God sent this catastrophe to us. Not in anger, though, but to create an opportunity to build something better.

A friend of mine who lost everything in the storm, and had no insurance to recover, said it's somewhat liberating to no longer have possessions. These kinds of events make you think about "ownership" in general. What does it really mean?

Great news about the family videos. And you might be able to use those to help you make your lists.

cumberlandreds
02-23-2006, 08:50 AM
GAC,

I have been away for the last few days so I just saw this terrible news. My prayers and thoughts will be with you. Even though I haven't ever met you I have enjoyed your posts and know you are good person. It sounds like you are coping well and things are going as well as they can. I can't offer you any financial assistance but I do have some Reds baseball cards I could send you to help you build some of your memorabilia back. Hang in there and may God bless you during this period of time.

Kevin Hall AKA cumberlandreds

redsfan30
02-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Great to hear that you were able to salvage family videos!

TeamBoone
02-23-2006, 11:16 AM
GAC, do you think there may be more momentos salvagable? I sure hope so as when it comes to affairs of the heart, they are the most soothing.

I'll help you rake!

traderumor
02-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Good to hear from you, GAC, and that things are coming together. The good news brought tears to my eyes.

KronoRed
02-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Great to hear about those videos GAC :) if you really want them transferred to DVD my brother in law can do it no problem.

Unassisted
02-23-2006, 11:58 AM
GAC, so sorry to hear about your loss. I've been away from the board for a few weeks, so I just heard about all of this today.

At the same time, I'm relieved to hear that your family is OK and that you're well down the road to getting your life back to normal. You've gotten some great advice here and it sounds like you've handled everything very well so far. Life threw you this curveball and you seem to have hit it in play.

Best wishes to you and your family.

redsfan30
02-23-2006, 12:51 PM
I've got the machine to dub videos to DVD's but it never seems to work right. In a pinch, I could probably do it for you but couldn't 100% promise that it would copy right.

GAC
02-23-2006, 04:11 PM
GAC, do you think there may be more momentos salvagable? I sure hope so as when it comes to affairs of the heart, they are the most soothing.

I'll help you rake!

I know you would sweetheart, but I found the area where my photo albums and other memoribilia was at - dug some, and found nothing but charred ruin.

I will make a more long-winded response later on, as far as today's activities (met with an investigator who is hired to determine cause), trying to set up estimates for site clean-up and to rebuild.

We stopped in Bellefontaine and looked at a modular home. Man was it nice! We think we are leaning that way; but are just now starting to investigate that area. Right now the insurance company is trying to locate us temporary housing in our school district. My brother, who working in the realtor business and has connections up around here, also has them all, looking. But anything they find has to go thru the All-State rep, and meet certain criteria.

I'm waiting for the wife to get home so we can go get something to eat. I'm tired as all get out, and hungry.

I emailed pics to creek (sorry TC -didn't see your email in time. Right now, I have no email list on anyone), and she is gonna post some pics of the house.

Later all.

Greg

creek14
02-24-2006, 05:37 AM
My computer (which accompanied C Columbus on his voyage to the New World) won't post those pics either. Could someone PM their email address to me and I'll forward them on.

And GAC, my friend said to try Unibuilt in New Carlise and the one that use to be Paul Sherry in Piqua. They also went over to Tom Raper in Richmond IN

GAC
02-24-2006, 06:07 AM
My computer (which accompanied C Columbus on his voyage to the New World) won't post those pics either. Could someone PM their email address to me and I'll forward them on.

Thanks for the effort creek. I lost everyone's email addresses, or would do it myself. I would deeply appreciate it if someone from the "clique" would help me with my email list. ;)

And GAC, my friend said to try Unibuilt in New Carlise and the one that use to be Paul Sherry in Piqua. They also went over to Tom Raper in Richmond IN

Thanks creek, we will. We stopped and looked at a model yesterday in Bellefontaine. Man was it sharp! I drive by that model daily, and never thought it was a modular. Their rep gave us a book, along with a website, where you can basically build/design your own. That my wife will be in charge of obviously. We have received some much feedback and input locally (realtors, friends, etc.) just since yesterday morning on modular companies. It has been amazing. Though we are taking our time, getting estimates, and looking at everything, I think that is the route we are going to take. Plus, you can be in your home alot faster.

Right now - we have the insurance company intently trying to find us temp residency in the kid's school district. And we have local real estate people coming up with places also. They just have to submit it thru our insurance rep though, because there is certain criteria that has to be met. They said they are gonna have us in a place by the earliest - Monday. And the latest - Wednesday. And then they are going to completely furnish it too.

I have been nothing but simply impressed with All-State so far. Everyone of their reps, adjustors, etc., has been nothing short of professional, very personal, and "on the ball". Maybe I should do a commercial? ;)

Nothing much planned for today, except now sit down and create documents listing each room's content. That is gonna be fun. It will be a family affair.

I'm also trying to recreate my checkbook, balances, what checks have cleared, and somehow try to get a handle on all that. I did so much online, so that will help I think. I just balanced it last Thursday, and remember the amount, and pretty much what items had not yet cleared. I'll just have to do a guessitmate for now (in the banks favor), and gradualy get it worked out.

Another fun part is doing the "forgot password" thingy with all those website. Then there is all the software I lost or purchased over the 'net.

The fun is just beginning folks; but our spirits are high.

Thanks again all!

Greg

PS creek - I found out my 6 yr old nephew is a huge Adam Dunn fan. He asked "Did Adam Dunn sign your hat?" :lol:

He came in with his photo album filled with baseball cards and told me I could have any of them I wanted. Needless to say - I cried. Both families are taking all the kids out tonight to some local pizza place. I'm gonna find him something on Dunn. ;)

TeamCasey
02-24-2006, 06:18 AM
I emailed both of you, creek (aol) and GAC (yahoo and your other one).

RBA
02-24-2006, 01:38 PM
GAC, Don't forget to look for Energy Efficent Appliances, Heat/AC, water heater, etc Maybe even look into solar. They have a lot of new stuff on the market to save you fuel/eletric cost. Maybe even a tankless water heater. You're going to probably live in this house the rest of your life and by 2020 fuel/electric is going to be very expensive despite our leaders best effort to keep energy prices low.

And if you are a Dish/Directv or even computer network geek. Have the cable guys run extra cable through the house, even in places you think you'll never need it. With future technology, it will be good to have in the long run. Putting that stuff in after the house is built is a pain, especially with all the insulation they throw into houses nowadays.

I'm sure you are already thinking ahead of this anyway.

Reds Nd2
02-24-2006, 04:45 PM
I'll help you rake!

Just to lighten the mood a bit and I hope this doesn't insensitive, but

TeamBoone can rake! If she can field her position, maybe the Reds could start her at 2B this season. :)

Creek, I've sent you a PM for the e-mail addy.

TeamCasey
02-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Gac's pics: click on them to enlarge.

RFS62
02-24-2006, 06:35 PM
In the insurance world, that is called a "grounder".

As in burned to the ground.

Hang tough, buddy.

GAC
02-25-2006, 01:52 PM
I met my neighbor up there this morning, and we "salvaged" what we could that suruvived from the garage. I'd say I saved all of my power tools, work bench, and misc. items, which comprised about 5% of what was in that garage. Better then nothing though. I rented a storage place to put them in for now.

There was one plastic bin, with a snap-tight lid, that the firemen had thrown out into the driveway. I looked in it this morning and found the one photo album with the pics/autographs of misc. players from the BRM. Some of the them were damp/wet, but I think they are going to be OK. I've got them all laid out down here at my brother's house to dry out. So there is another plus.

My brother and wife are neighbors, and very good friends, with pitcher Rick White and his wife. My sister-in-law called Rick yesterday, and unbeknownst to me, asked if he could get Red's autographs for me. I've hugged the woman so much that my brother is getting jealous.

I got a package this morning from GIK. He sent me the latest Redszone T-shirt, along with a couple Ford racing T-shirts. And since I'm a Ford guy, they are much appreciated. Thanks Matt! :thumbup:

Site cleanup is our next big step. Since yesterday, I've met with 3 people and got estimates.... $7,000 to take it down to the footer from one.... 4,2000 from another to take it down to the foundation. The guy who gave me the 2nd estimate said that it really may not be necessary, by his visual inspection (he does this alot) to tear down all of the foundation; but just those isolated sections that look like the fire got to it. The rest he says looks really good.

This weekend, the wife is helping the kids get caught up on homework (back to school on Monday)... and we are working on our content lists, room by room. Thank God we weren't "pack rats" that had a house full of clutter and what-nots.

I have to go on Ebay or someplace to find out what my Sean Casey and M&J bobbleheads were worth (even though both were gifts from the ladies of Redszone). ;)

Losing my personally autographed football by Bernie Kosar bums me out; but I'm a member of the website ran by his brother, so I'm gonna contact them.

But right now - get the site cleaned up.... and then a house erected to put this stuff IN. :lol:

KronoRed
02-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Nice to hear you have found a few things that were saved :)

I'm sure you can find another Kosar football, I mean..what else has he got to do now? ;)

TeamBoone
02-25-2006, 03:50 PM
My brother and wife are neighbors, and very good friends, with pitcher Rick White and his wife. My sister-in-law called Rick yesterday, and unbeknownst to me, asked if he could get Red's autographs for me. I've hugged the woman so much that my brother is getting jealous.

This made me laugh at you, GAC... for the first time since I heard of your personal tragedy.

Thank you.

PS... maybe he could get some extra autographs for friends, like maybe some extra Adam Dunn ones??? :p:

TeamMorris
02-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Hey GAC!

I know you are busy but do you think that your kids could put together a list of as many CD's that they can remember that they lost or might like? Many of us will try to help by burning them copies if we can/have them. This should help save you some money that you can spend on other things:)

vaticanplum
02-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Wow...there is no doubt this is a truly awful thing, but looking at those pictures, man is it lucky that everybody got out. That is a terrifying sight.

Hope the weekend has been a little better for you.

SirFelixCat
02-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Wow...haven't been to the non-baseball side for over a week, and OMG, I had no idea. Thank God you and your family are safe, Greg. The rest can be replaced.

Also, glad you are making it thru this horrible time. Your friends are there for you to lean on, so don't hesitate to ask for help...that is what we are here for.

As others have said, Christel and I are here if we can help in any way possible. Hang in there buddy and know that you have many people who want to help and have you in their prayers. Good luck and God Bless.

registerthis
02-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Hey GAC!

I know you are busy but do you think that your kids could put together a list of as many CD's that they can remember that they lost or might like? Many of us will try to help by burning them copies if we can/have them. This should help save you some money that you can spend on other things:)

Heh, I'd volunteer for CD burning duty, but I doubt I'd have much the kids are listening to today. You don't hear much Neil Finn or Depeche Mode pouring out of kid's stereos.

But, you never know...I do like Coldplay and Gorrilaz, they're quite popular, right? Right???

redsfan30
02-27-2006, 10:57 PM
GAC,

I've got a number of old Reds games on tape that I'd be more than happy to copy to a DVD-R and send your way. I've got 2001-2005 Opening Day, Junior's 500th and many others. If you'd be interested in any of those I can get them out to you as soon as I can.

creek14
02-28-2006, 07:01 AM
I talked to Greg last night. They found a house to rent, so things are starting to slowly normalize for them. :clap:

He sounded exhausted, but in good spirits.

RedsBaron
02-28-2006, 07:06 AM
I talked to Greg last night. They found a house to rent, so things are starting to slowly normalize for them. :clap:

He sounded exhausted, but in good spirits.
Greg called me as well last night. He was definitely tired (he began the call by repeatedly asking for "Jeff"-my name isn't Jeff:D ), but he was in good spirits. He has been amazingly positive every time I've talked to him during this incident.

Chip R
02-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Greg called me as well last night. He was definitely tired (he began the call by repeatedly asking for "Jeff"-my name isn't Jeff:D ), but he was in good spirits. No pun intended? ;)

TeamMorris
02-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Great news!!!! Hope he is able to post soon...I want to know what is in the box the Reds send him!!!!!!;)

KittyDuran
02-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Great news!!!! Hope he is able to post soon...I want to know what is in the box the Reds send him!!!!!!;)A Danny Graves' bobblehead??? ;)

RBA
02-28-2006, 12:14 PM
A Danny Graves' bobblehead??? ;)

Or perhaps a 12 oz. bottle of Dante Bichette's sweat from the 2000 season.

Redsland
02-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Oh, he's getting one of those, don't you worry. ;)

KronoRed
02-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Maybe a dozen after they didn't sell in the gift shop :evil:

RedsBaron
03-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Greg called me this morning. He and his family are moving into a farm house in the same school district that his kids were already in, so they will not have to change schools. They are doing well.
Greg will probably again have computer access sometime next week when it is hooked up at the farm house.
I have his new address.

smith288
03-02-2006, 12:32 PM
GAC - First I read of your tragedy. I want to offer you my prayers but I think everyone else covered it.

The amazing thing I see coming from you is your fortified faith in Christ. What a sight to behold. Many point to events like this and say "Why me God?" or "How does a loving God do this to good people?" but your response to this has been exactly as it should be if your faith in God is strong.

Excuse me for getting all religious but I think its an important component in making it through this hard trial.

I have had minimal trials in my life and cant possibly relate to yours (knock on wood) but if I was to EVER suffer such an experience, I want to have HALF the spiritual maturity you have shown to us here on RZ.

This particular prayer seems appropriate for situations such as this:

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

Bless you and your family....

smith288
03-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Greg called me this morning. He and his family are moving into a farm house in the same school district that his kids were already in, so they will not have to change schools. They are doing well.
Greg will probably again have computer access sometime next week when it is hooked up at the farm house.
I have his new address.
I think its stupid that schools cant make an acception for kids to attend their own school when temporarily living outside the district for reasons out of their control... stupid public schools.

LoganBuck
03-02-2006, 03:59 PM
I think its stupid that schools cant make an acception for kids to attend their own school when temporarily living outside the district for reasons out of their control... stupid public schools.

I imagine they can it is probably just a matter of logistics for GAC and not the school. Considering open enrollment. GAC is still paying taxes on his property after all.

WebScorpion
03-04-2006, 01:49 AM
I never have time to visit the non-baseball side of the board, but tonight something told me to check it out. This is terrible news GAC...my heart and prayers go out to you and yours. As far as feeling guilt for the outpouring of assistance that has come your way...If this had happened to anyone else here, you know you'd be at the head of the line to assist them. Enjoy the love you've sown, it's just returning to you fully grown.

Keep your chin up and know your real treasures escaped the fire. ;)