PDA

View Full Version : Germano in line for job (2/23)

TeamBoone
02-23-2006, 11:44 AM
2/23/06
Germano in line for job
Reds' rotation has openings
By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

SARASOTA, Fla. - Some look at the Reds' track record of developing starting pitchers, or the homer-friendly confines of Great American Ball Park, and wonder why anyone would want to pitch for Cincinnati.

To the unproven commodities in the Reds' spring training clubhouse, the response to that line of thinking is simple and straightforward. All the Reds' mound meltdowns in recent years represent to them is an opportunity, one they're all too pleased to take.

Witness Justin Germano. A native Southern Californian, he was thrilled to be drafted by the San Diego Padres and made his major league debut a few months before his 22nd birthday. It was a chance not many people in his position get; if only he'd been able to do some more with it.

Germano made seven appearances for the Padres, five of them starts, during the 2004 season. He posted an 8.86 ERA, and the precision control that had marked his ascent through the minors deserted him as he walked 14 and struck out 16 in 21 1/3 innings.

He's still waiting to make it back to the big leagues.

The Padres weren't giving up on Germano when they traded him and Travis Chick to the Reds for Joe Randa last July. It was more a case of supply and demand. The Padres had pitching prospects to trade, and they did exactly that to get a veteran bat they needed for the playoff run.

So far, the deal appears to have worked for both teams. San Diego won its division and the Reds have themselves a legitimate candidate to crack the starting rotation in 2006. If Germano was still in San Diego, there's no way he'd be in that position this spring, and he knows it.

"San Diego had a logjam of pitching and top prospects, so it was tough just to get up there and stay," Germano said Wednesday. "I definitely see some opportunity here."

His track record makes it easy to see why the Reds think so highly of him after only a month or so worth of work in their organization. It isn't so much the 3-2 record and 4.01 ERA Germano compiled in eight starts for Louisville last summer that impressed the front office; it's the way Germano goes about his work.

"Just watching him out there throwing, it looks like he has a real good idea," said manager Jerry Narron. "It looks like he's going to be a guy that can throw strikes."

Germano agrees that detail work in the strike zone is his trademark, and his statistics back it up. In 871 1/3 minor league innings, Germano has walked only 167 batters while striking out 711.

Of course, unless you're Greg Maddux, when you're around the strike zone that much, you're going to get hit. Germano has given up 904 of them in his minor league career, and said continuing to refine his command is a high priority.

"Sometimes, it actually does hurt me, sometimes I throw a little bit too good a strike and get hit around a little bit," he said. "I think the biggest thing is just working on my fastball location, keeping the ball down."

If he can show some progress on that front in camp, he'll have a chance to make the Reds' rotation right out of the gate. With Paul Wilson's health up in the air and the Reds preparing Matt Belisle to return to the long relief role he held last year, Germano enters spring training as one of the top contenders to fill out the starting staff.

Narron said the 23-year-old will get a chance to prove himself once Grapefruit League play begins.

"It's going to be interesting," Narron said. "The way our roster is right now, he's going to have a chance to pitch this spring."

In joining such a pitching-poor organization, Germano immediately became a valuable commodity for the Reds. Because he has options remaining, Germano will be back in Louisville and starting every fifth day if he doesn't break camp with the Reds.

Whatever happens over the next month, Germano is well positioned to get at least a shot in the majors this year. It's all but impossible to navigate a 162-game season with a five-man rotation intact, and barring a complete collapse, Germano will get a hard look for any opening that might occur.

"Whether I make it out of spring or make it during the season, I just want to get there," he said, acknowledging that a chance to start in the majors is a considerable incentive not only for spring training but the minor league season, if it comes to that.

"It definitely is," he said. "Any chance I can to get up there, it just makes me work that much harder."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060223/SPT05/602230325/1027

RedsManRick
02-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Germano's numbers and repitoire scream Brad Radke to me, except with a curve instead of a slider. If he can get his fastball in to the 88-90 range, I think that would make a ton of difference, just like it did for Radke and Maddux. Of course, he's also likely to be fairly defense dependent. Hopefully that doesn't kill him in Cincy. Does anybody have a thorough qualitative scouting report?

Caveat Emperor
02-23-2006, 12:35 PM
With Paul Wilson's health up in the air and the Reds preparing Matt Belisle to return to the long relief role he held last year, Germano enters spring training as one of the top contenders to fill out the starting staff.

Two points:

1. How little faith does the organization have in Matt Belisle when, despite screaming need for better starting pitching, they toss him into the long-relief refuse heap?

2. Paul Wilson should be given his paycheck, a hearty handshake, and told politely that the team really has no use for a guy comnig off rehab whose stuff wasn't all that good to begin with. Seriously, is there anyone with an IQ over 10 that expects him to be anything other than hide-your-eyes awful when he does start pitching again?

Chip R
02-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Two points:

1. How little faith does the organization have in Matt Belisle when, despite screaming need for better starting pitching, they toss him into the long-relief refuse heap?

It used to be common for organizations to work their potential starters in long relief before they put them in the rotation. Hopefully that is the case for Belisle although the history of this organization for the last 25 years shows they usually make the guys with the best arms relievers.

osuceltic
02-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Two points:

2. Paul Wilson should be given his paycheck, a hearty handshake, and told politely that the team really has no use for a guy comnig off rehab whose stuff wasn't all that good to begin with. Seriously, is there anyone with an IQ over 10 that expects him to be anything other than hide-your-eyes awful when he does start pitching again?

Wilson is going to be paid by the Reds regardless. I'd rather see if he can rebound and be a decent pitcher again. If he simply can't do it, then they can release him. But the guy could conceivably -- without too much imagination involved -- be the second best starter on the staff.

RedsManRick
02-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Any argument which revolves around the idea of a good potential starter not getting a chance, while frustrating on the face of it, does say something about the fact that we have more starters with a reasonable claim to a rotation spot. That is a good thing.

Redsland
02-23-2006, 02:15 PM
At this point, I have more faith in Wilson than I do in Milton.

Hopefully one will get kicked out of the rotation the same time the other becomes "healthy."

wolfboy
02-23-2006, 02:43 PM

I'd rather see Belisle than Milton, but I'm not completely sold on the guy. Belisle has better stuff, but Germano's minor league numbers are comparable. Germano's k/9, k:bb, and whip look better than Belisle through the minors. Neither one looks all that special, but I'd take one or the other over a Pedro Astacio or some other "never was" veteran.

TRF
02-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Wilson won't be better than Harang. He won't be better than Claussen. He might not be better than Dave Williams. Milton... ah who knows.

And he might not pitch until May or June even.

Matt Belisle can hit 96 on the gun. I've seen it in three different parks scoreboards. 96. He should absolutely been in the SP mix. IMO he's got tremendous upside similar to Harang, but he throws harder.

I like Germano. He's a clone of the Lizard, so I am ok with either guy making it on merit.

Ideally given the personnel in house, my 5 man rotation would be:
Harang
Claussen
Belisle
Germano/Lizard
Williams

I'd prefer a four-man with Williams as swingman

wolfboy
02-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Wilson won't be better than Harang. He won't be better than Claussen. He might not be better than Dave Williams. Milton... ah who knows.

And he might not pitch until May or June even.

Matt Belisle can hit 96 on the gun. I've seen it in three different parks scoreboards. 96. He should absolutely been in the SP mix. IMO he's got tremendous upside similar to Harang, but he throws harder.

I like Germano. He's a clone of the Lizard, so I am ok with either guy making it on merit.

Ideally given the personnel in house, my 5 man rotation would be:
Harang
Claussen
Belisle
Germano/Lizard
Williams

I'd prefer a four-man with Williams as swingman

I could live with that rotation. Unfortunately, Milton isn't going away, and Wilson is all too eager to come back.

M2
02-23-2006, 03:26 PM
My rotation would be:

Harang
Claussen
Williams
Belisle
whoever angers me least at the moment

RMR, Germano works in 86-88 range, has a spotty change and tries to get by on his curve. He ran into longball issues, which is rather predictable because everyone who tries to live off a curve runs into longball issues (even guy who have a good heater to go with the bender). Anyway, as a pitcher I'd say he's no Rod Nichols, or Ed Wojna, take your pick.

TRF
02-23-2006, 04:31 PM
I'd put Belisle over Williams for two reasons.

1. slpits up a couple of lefties
2. Williams doesn't throw as hard as Belisle

92-96 from the right side followed the next day by 88-92 from the left. Gives the opposing offense a completely different look in a series. And while I said I think Claussen will be the Red to make the biggest step up this season, the only reason I picked him is more opportunity to do so than Belisle.

JinAZ
02-23-2006, 04:45 PM
I don't really understand why Belisle isn't in the mix either. He was reasonably effective as a starter last year, so he should at least be considered as the #5. But I'm pleased to see Germano getting consideration at this point. I was thrilled that we got both he and Chick for Randa last year. Probably the best trade of DanO's stint (though there weren't many).

But I'm going to part slightly with folks and say that I think Wilson still has a chance to be an important cog this year. I don't expect to see him until May or June, but by then we're almost certainly going to have a hole to fill due to injury or ineptitude. And if he can have a season like he had in '03 or '04, he could go a long way in helping us to stabilize the rotation. He's no ace, and really shouldn't be considered anything more than a #4 starter, but #4's can be helpful and are a hell of a lot better than what we had last year outside of Harang and Claussen (and man, I sure hope those two don't regress....).
-jinaz

TRF
02-23-2006, 04:54 PM
but #4's can be helpful and are a hell of a lot better than what we had last year outside of Harang and Claussen

Now, this i disagree with. I don't want a number 4 starter. But I'd take a boatload of number 2's. I think Harang can emerge as a bonafide Ace this year. All his peripherals and progress point to the possibility that he gets his ERA in the low threes with another 200+ ip season. Claussen knocked two full runs off his ERA from '04 to '05. I'd like another run shaved off and his IP up to 200. That would make him a #2 or better.

Now that's a start. Belisle IMO has the talent and the heat to follow Claussen as #3 in the rotation. Does he have the stamina?

DeadRedinCT
02-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Let me 42nd the calls for starting Belisle and/or Germano (more Belisle than Germano). This upcoming season is the type of season where you want your young pitchers to get his feet wet, get pounded a bit and learn what he can and cannot do at the major league level. It also gives management an opportunity to make better evaluations of who they can go with in the future.

Falls City Beer
02-23-2006, 05:15 PM
After Harang and Claussen, I just throw up my hands. I honestly couldn't care less what crap they trot out there. It's all the same to me.

But somehow this will be okay because it's an "evaluation year." I'm sick of "evaluation years." I'd rather have the "evaluation month" or "evaluation week." Then trades of substance can be made to improve the franchise's fortunes. I like that plan.

2006 belongs to Cast, Krivsky, et al. It's their show.

Falls City Beer
02-23-2006, 05:16 PM
This upcoming season is the type of season where you want your young pitchers to get his feet wet, get pounded a bit and learn what he can and cannot do at the major league level.

How many consecutive years have we been saying this? And what fruits has this method borne us?

JinAZ
02-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Now, this i disagree with. I don't want a number 4 starter. But I'd take a boatload of number 2's.

Hey, I'd love to get some #2 starters too. My point was that we don't have much pitching on this staff. Unless we get someone via a trade, at best we can hope that we'll have Harang as a borderline ace (honestly I think #2 is about as much as we should hope for), Claussen as a #2/#3 guy (again, benefit of the doubt), and maybe another pitcher or two as a legitimate #4. Someone is bound to falter, be it Milton, Williams, Germano, or even, god forbid, Astacio if we're foolish enough to sign him. Wilson could be a guy who can come in midway through the season and give us 6 innings of three run ball with decent frequency. It's not good, but it's better than what we had last year and might be good enough to help us get to 0.500 this year (i'm dreaming).

I'm all for giving Belisle a shot at the rotation. Just sayin' that longhaired Paul could still potentially play a useful role this year.
-jinaz

TRF
02-23-2006, 05:33 PM
How many consecutive years have we been saying this? And what fruits has this method borne us?

Other than Coffey and Wagner, both relievers what young SP are you referring to? Harang and Clussen? good fruit IMO.

The reds have had no young starters since 2001, the great troika crumble. (Davis, Reith and Acevedo)

Now for a change there are a few under 25 guys that at least pique my interest. Ramirez and Germano are both control guys. Belisle can dish heat. Dumatrait could be in the mix. You never know. I believe Josh Hall and that sweeping curve are back and healthy. Basham is another possibility. Bubba is slated for AAA and seems to have embraced his role as a reliever.

No, it isn't the stock of the Marlins ilk, but it beats what we've seen with retreads like Weber, Stone et al.

RedsManRick
02-23-2006, 05:39 PM
My rotation would be:

Harang
Claussen
Williams
Belisle
whoever angers me least at the moment

RMR, Germano works in 86-88 range, has a spotty change and tries to get by on his curve. He ran into longball issues, which is rather predictable because everyone who tries to live off a curve runs into longball issues (even guy who have a good heater to go with the bender). Anyway, as a pitcher I'd say he's no Rod Nichols, or Ed Wojna, take your pick.

In otherwords, if he's gonna be successful, he's probably going to need to be able to sit at 88 with that fastball, sure up his change (maybe Soto can help), and learn to use the curve to get outs instead of just strikes. A pitcher with homer problems can be successful (Radke, Schilling) if he keeps guys off base.

This could be completely misplaced, but I have better hopes for a guy with great control who needs to refine his changeup than a guy with great stuff and no idea where it's going. I just can't think of too many guys with 4:1 k/bb ratios that weren't at least servicable. Perhaps it's because they got homered out of the league. You tell me.

Nugget
02-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Beslisle may throw hard and have some useful pitches but I think its his endurance that will keep him in the long relief role rather than making it into the rotation. His ok as a spot starter but where his had to work on the fiv day rotation he seems to run out of puff in the 4th and 5th inning.

RedsManRick
02-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Now, this i disagree with. I don't want a number 4 starter. But I'd take a boatload of number 2's. I think Harang can emerge as a bonafide Ace this year. All his peripherals and progress point to the possibility that he gets his ERA in the low threes with another 200+ ip season. Claussen knocked two full runs off his ERA from '04 to '05. I'd like another run shaved off and his IP up to 200. That would make him a #2 or better.

Now that's a start. Belisle IMO has the talent and the heat to follow Claussen as #3 in the rotation. Does he have the stamina?

A rotation full of 5 #4 starters would've put us in playoff contention last year... Not saying I'd want a #4 over a #2, or that I want us to add #4 starters, but a legit #4 (4.60 ERA over 170 IP) would be an upgrade over nearly everybody from last year.

Falls City Beer
02-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Other than Coffey and Wagner, both relievers what young SP are you referring to? Harang and Clussen? good fruit IMO.

The reds have had no young starters since 2001, the great troika crumble. (Davis, Reith and Acevedo)

Now for a change there are a few under 25 guys that at least pique my interest. Ramirez and Germano are both control guys. Belisle can dish heat. Dumatrait could be in the mix. You never know. I believe Josh Hall and that sweeping curve are back and healthy. Basham is another possibility. Bubba is slated for AAA and seems to have embraced his role as a reliever.

No, it isn't the stock of the Marlins ilk, but it beats what we've seen with retreads like Weber, Stone et al.

When I say "fruits" I'm speaking more generally--meaning we go into every season saying the same thing, but in the end, whether a player is "toughened" by the rigors of the learning curve or not, the result is still the same at the end of every season: the Reds suck. Why not forestall sucking by having talent here to begin the season?

TRF
02-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Harang was better than that. Claussen knocked 2 runs off his ERA from 04 to 05. I look for that progress to continue.

Paul Wilson is not likely to put up #4 starter numbers. He's a walking poster boy for better living through surgery. I think he'll one day make a fine pitching coach. But his body betrays him. sadly I think he's done.

M2
02-23-2006, 10:10 PM
A rotation full of 5 #4 starters would've put us in playoff contention last year... Not saying I'd want a #4 over a #2, or that I want us to add #4 starters, but a legit #4 (4.60 ERA over 170 IP) would be an upgrade over nearly everybody from last year.

No it wouldn't have put the team in playoff contention last year. That's still 550-600 IP for a thoroughly lousy bullpen on top of that. Banging out the numbers, the Reds would have been outscored by only 10 runs instead of 79 with that kind of rotation. What it would have done is put the club in a footrace with the Cubs for 4th place in the division.

Plus, I find that most of the time when folks are hoping for something like 170 IP and a 4.60 ERA, you're really talking about a pitcher who's much worse than that.

M2
02-23-2006, 10:15 PM
In otherwords, if he's gonna be successful, he's probably going to need to be able to sit at 88 with that fastball, sure up his change (maybe Soto can help), and learn to use the curve to get outs instead of just strikes. A pitcher with homer problems can be successful (Radke, Schilling) if he keeps guys off base.

This could be completely misplaced, but I have better hopes for a guy with great control who needs to refine his changeup than a guy with great stuff and no idea where it's going. I just can't think of too many guys with 4:1 k/bb ratios that weren't at least servicable. Perhaps it's because they got homered out of the league. You tell me.

I can't think of a guy like that who was good at a young age. Not one. My take has always been that Germano's a guy on the Rick Reed path if he's ever going to be any good. If so, wake me up when he's 30.

shredda2000
02-23-2006, 10:26 PM
This upcoming season is the type of season where you want your young pitchers to get his feet wet, get pounded a bit and learn what he can and cannot do at the major league level.

Reds pitchers in the past have:
(1) Gotten their feet wet
(2) Waded in waist deep
(3) Gotten in over their head and
(4) DROWNED

NEXT!!!

RedsManRick
02-23-2006, 11:04 PM
No it wouldn't have put the team in playoff contention last year. That's still 550-600 IP for a thoroughly lousy bullpen on top of that. Banging out the numbers, the Reds would have been outscored by only 10 runs instead of 79 with that kind of rotation. What it would have done is put the club in a footrace with the Cubs for 4th place in the division.

Plus, I find that most of the time when folks are hoping for something like 170 IP and a 4.60 ERA, you're really talking about a pitcher who's much worse than that.

Fair enough M2. You should know by now I'm familiar with the math. Our spot starters and middle relievers did more than their fair share of the damage. My point still stands. A guy with a 4.70 ERA and 175 IP would've been our 3rd best starters last year. Sadly, that would be an improvement from 3/5 of the rotation. It certainly wouldn't win us a division, but the point remains that with even mediocre pitching, this team would be much improved.

M2
02-23-2006, 11:11 PM
It certainly wouldn't win us a division, but the point remains that with even mediocre pitching, this team would be much improved.

Though it's hard to find reliably mediocre pitching. After the Reds cycle through a pile of guys during ST and the first half of the season, they'll probably find some guys capable of mediocrity in 2006. Those same guys probably won't be mediocre in 2007. Mediocre is often a way station on your way to better or worse.

Superdude
02-23-2006, 11:58 PM
I agree Belisle should have a rotation spot, but as long as that's our long term goal with him, I'm okay with another year as the versatile relief guy and spot starter. But putting a 25 year old with his stuff and potential into a permanent relief role is a whole different deal! :nono:

JinAZ
02-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Paul Wilson is not likely to put up #4 starter numbers. He's a walking poster boy for better living through surgery. I think he'll one day make a fine pitching coach. But his body betrays him. sadly I think he's done.

You may be right -- major shoulder surgeries aren't easy things to come back from, especially when you've already had them in the past and you aren't exactly young any more.

I hope that's not the case though. And I'm going to withhold judgement until he at least starts his minor league rehab assignment. When a guy hasn't topped 90% throwing effort and is just hoping to throw some BP in the near future, I think it's too early to claim he's done. If he can come back and regain his '04 form, he could be a pretty useful cog as we try to make it through this year. -jinaz

DeadRedinCT
02-24-2006, 06:33 AM
Reds pitchers in the past have:
(1) Gotten their feet wet
(2) Waded in waist deep
(3) Gotten in over their head and
(4) DROWNED

NEXT!!!

Like Harang? Like Claussen? You're right - that didn't work and is not working right now.

Those are the only two young pitchers that the Reds have given a serious chance in the past five seasons to:

(1) get their feet wet
(2) wade into the deep pool
(3) get in over the head
(4) LEARN TO SWIM

Red Heeler
02-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Though it's hard to find reliably mediocre pitching. After the Reds cycle through a pile of guys during ST and the first half of the season, they'll probably find some guys capable of mediocrity in 2006. Those same guys probably won't be mediocre in 2007. Mediocre is often a way station on your way to better or worse.

I contend that the best way to build a pitching staff would be to get together a bunch of scouts, statisticians, whatever who could consistently figure out which mediocre pitchers are just pausing at mediocre on their way to good.

As we all know, young, successful pitchers cost a fortune in a) talent to obtain, and b) money to retain. I want the guys who can spot Ben Sheets while the Brewers are ready to give up on him, not after he proves to everyone that he is a stud.

TRF
02-24-2006, 09:11 AM
When I say "fruits" I'm speaking more generally--meaning we go into every season saying the same thing, but in the end, whether a player is "toughened" by the rigors of the learning curve or not, the result is still the same at the end of every season: the Reds suck. Why not forestall sucking by having talent here to begin the season?

Harang was toughened. He got better. Claussen was toughened. he got better. Belisle to me is the right guy to be challenged to get tough, and be a quality starter. He's got stuff. I do question the stamina, but if he landed the number 5 spot, I think he'd show enough to merit the position.

Chip R
02-24-2006, 09:26 AM
I could live with that rotation. Unfortunately, Milton isn't going away, and Wilson is all too eager to come back.

http://www.oldmencrying.com/images/cody.jpeg

REDREAD
02-24-2006, 09:51 AM

Yes, I agree.

I don't expect much out of Dave Williams.. he will be below average, hopefully not horrid.

I do expect the #5 slot to be horrid though. I just don't have much confidence in Geranmo. This is going to be like the year they rotated Rob Bell, Reyes and another kid in the #5 slot in the rotation and they combined for something like 2-14.

Just because Geramano is young doesn't mean that he'll get better. The Padres didn't seem to think much of him. I hope he surprises me, but I have very low expectations, particularly since I don't trust DanO's "talent evaluation" skills at all. Let's face it, Geranmo is only getting the job because Wilson is hurt, not out of merit.

RedsManRick
02-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Like Harang? Like Claussen? You're right - that didn't work and is not working right now.

Those are the only two young pitchers that the Reds have given a serious chance in the past five seasons to:

(1) get their feet wet
(3) get in over the head
(4) LEARN TO SWIM

Jose Acevedo and Luke Hudson weren't given serious chances?

M2
02-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Harang was toughened. He got better. Claussen was toughened. he got better. Belisle to me is the right guy to be challenged to get tough, and be a quality starter. He's got stuff. I do question the stamina, but if he landed the number 5 spot, I think he'd show enough to merit the position.

In general, a team like the Reds should be breaking in a kid like Harang in 2004 and Claussen in 2005 at the back of the rotation in most seasons. It's something the club should be doing even when it gets its act together. The problem of course is that the club has been so desperate that it hasn't had the luxury of being selective about who gets that slot, as it's often multiple guys being thrown against the wall.

Belisle strikes me as the nominal right guy for 2006, but honestly it's possible that 2006 won't yield a guy like Harang or Claussen.

registerthis
02-24-2006, 11:44 AM

(1) get their feet wet
(3) get in over the head
(4) LEARN TO SWIM

Hancock, Hudson, Acevedo, Valentine, Lance Davis and Dennys Reyes all say "hi".

TRF
02-24-2006, 11:50 AM
In general, a team like the Reds should be breaking in a kid like Harang in 2004 and Claussen in 2005 at the back of the rotation in most seasons. It's something the club should be doing even when it gets its act together. The problem of course is that the club has been so desperate that it hasn't had the luxury of being selective about who gets that slot, as it's often multiple guys being thrown against the wall.

Belisle strikes me as the nominal right guy for 2006, but honestly it's possible that 2006 won't yield a guy like Harang or Claussen.

I agree. To me Belisle is the most obvious choice of all the guys in camp. That this is his 3rd(?) season in the bigs gives me hope he could make the jump to starter and post a 4.80ish era. I'd like to see about 150 innings as a starter. It's not like there is a rush of guys better.

DeadRedinCT
02-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Hancock, Hudson, Acevedo, Valentine, Lance Davis and Dennys Reyes all say "hi".

They all say "I've never got a full season as a starter".

Chris Reitsma says "I didn't get to follow up on my 2001 and 2002 seasons as a starter."

Point being is pretty much what M2 stated earlier in this thread. Every season there should be one guy that the Reds work into the rotation. It's pointless to have a guy repeat AAA over and over. Fish or cut bait.

registerthis
02-24-2006, 01:01 PM
They all say "I've never got a full season as a starter".

Chris Reitsma says "I didn't get to follow up on my 2001 and 2002 seasons as a starter."

I didn't include Reitsma. And I'm not only counting starters. your quote was "Those are the only two young pitchers that the Reds have given a serious chance in the past five seasons." That is not true.

The Reds have given numerous opportunities to all of the players I mentioned. You don't NEED to give a full season to every pitcher to know whether they're worth a slot on your staff or not. Acevedo, Hancock and Hudson, for example, had numerous chances over several seasons to prove their worth to this franchise and were unable to. Reyes was here for several seasons and only rarely crossed the line from "bad" to "serviceable."

this franchise has a horrible track record of developing young pitchers. Claussen and Harang are exceptions, not rules, and it isn't for a lack of opportunities.

TeamBoone
02-24-2006, 01:57 PM
2/24/06

Profile: Justin Germano

Position: Right-handed pitcher

Height/weight: 6 feet 2/190

Born/resides: Pasadena, Calif./Claremont, Calif.

Acquired: In a trade from the San Diego Padres, along with Travis Chick, for Joe Randa on July 23, 2005.

On the field: Went 10-8 with a 3.79 ERA at Triple-A last year. Has an outside shot to make the rotation this year.

Why do you wear No. 57? "It's the one they gave me. I wear 21 when I can get it. I've worn it all the way back to Little League."

Favorite meal: Steak and a potato, maybe with broccoli.

If you could go to dinner with one person, who would it be? Jennifer Aniston. "Always wanted to meet her."

Favorite TV show: "Friends." "It's just reruns now, but it still makes me laugh."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060224/SPT04/602240341/1071

westofyou
02-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Favorite meal: Steak and a potato, maybe with broccoli.

Broccoli is natures broom, I suggest after that steak you have a little of it.

The average American male colon today carries within it about 5 pounds of half-digested red meat,

M2
02-24-2006, 02:03 PM
The average American male colon today carries within it about 5 pounds of half-digested red meat

Only if you're doing it right.

TRF
02-24-2006, 02:14 PM
Only if you're doing it right.

I weigh 200 Lbs.

75 of which is undigested steak.

westofyou
02-24-2006, 02:31 PM
I weigh 200 Lbs.

75 of which is undigested steak.
I last ate red meat during Reagen's 2nd term.

M2
02-24-2006, 02:43 PM

It's still delicious.

traderumor
02-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Broccoli is natures broom, I suggest after that steak you have a little of it.Requires a dose of Beano for me, so there be no gas.

BRM
02-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Requires a dose of Beano for me, so there be no gas.

Does Beano actually work? I've never tried it...although my wife has claimed I should. ;)

westofyou
02-24-2006, 02:48 PM
Does Beano actually work? I've never tried it...although my wife has claimed I should. ;)

Ya know what works (regarding beans) DON'T cook them in the water that you soak them in. :p:

BRM
02-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Ya know what works (regarding beans) DON'T cook them in the water that you soak them in. :p:

And that will remove the gasiness? Is gasiness a word?

westofyou
02-24-2006, 02:55 PM
And that will remove the gasiness? Is gasiness a word?
Yes sir it will cut 90% of it.

BRM
02-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Yes sir it will cut 90% of it.

Wow! I never knew that. I think we are eating beans tonight so I'll have to pass that little tidbit on to my wife. :)

TRF
02-24-2006, 03:00 PM
you soak them? I just cook them for 10 hours.

wait...

westofyou
02-24-2006, 03:07 PM
you soak them? I just cook them for 10 hours.

wait...

Even if I flash cook them hard I change the water once they soften.

Also don't salt them until you are about to serve, otherwise they get hard.

I have no red meat in my colon, but I knows about beans.

gonelong
02-24-2006, 04:54 PM

I am pickin' up the slack, no worries.

GL

M2
02-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Soak beans? I thought they all came in cans with the Goya label.

redskirtsrgood
02-27-2006, 12:22 AM
I want to touch up on Luke Hudson....Given the chances in the Bigs when he has been healthy and even in the Minor Leagues with the Reds...he has been successful and then some. I think he is the guy to watch this year given a healthy start.

Gainesville Red
02-27-2006, 12:31 AM
He admitted his favorite show was Freinds? Huh. Didn't know guys were allowed to do that.