PDA

View Full Version : Lewis wants to cut Bengal who leaked outburst (2/25)

TeamBoone
02-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Feb. 25, 2006, 10:44 AM ET
Lewis wants to cut Bengal who leaked outburst
By Len Pasquarelli / ESPN.com

Although he is not one of the NFL head coaches who have embraced the "one voice" stance, and precluded his assistants from speaking to the media during the season, Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis apparently feels his team had once voice too many in its season-ending playoff loss.

Appearing at the NFL scouting combine, Lewis stressed that the upstart Bengals must demonstrate improved maturity in 2006 to continue their progress, and also vowed to release the player who leaked to the media reports of an explosion by star wide receiver Chad Johnson at halftime of a Jan. 8 wild-card playoff game.

"Unfortunately, we had somebody else who was more selfish than Chad," Lewis said in discussing the incident. That person won't be with us next year, I'll tell you that. Those people aren't good for you."

According to reports, Johnson, angry at not getting the ball enough, voiced his complaint at halftime of the wild-card game, a contest the Bengals lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers 31-17. The reports suggested that, after a heated exchange with an assistant coach, during which he had to be restrained, Johnson swung at Lewis.

The Bengals coach, who in 2005 led the franchise to its first division title since 1990, earlier in the offseason acknowledged there was a halftime incident involving Johnson, but denied the wide receiver threw a punch at anyone.

Lewis said that the team's Pro Bowl wide receiver, who had two receptions in the first half and finished the game with just four catches for 59 yards, "raised his voice," but said that was the extent of the incident.

During his combine appearance Friday, however, Lewis vowed to rid his team of the player who leaked the report of the Johnson incident. It was a vow that, while keeping with Lewis' theme of accountability, could be difficult to keep. So far, no one has identified the source of the story, and Lewis could have trouble doing so, particularly after his promise to release the player. It could be a difficult move, too, if the player is a starter, as some Cincinnati veterans have hinted.

There could be repercussions from the NFL Players Association, as well, if Lewis tries to release any player he feels was the source for the leak. But in maintaining that his young team needs to come together as a unit, and subjugate the goals of individuals, Lewis said he will continue to investigate where the Johnson story originated.

"In the big scheme of things, that person needs to look at themselves," Lewis said. "Number one, for even speaking about [the incident], and number two, for embellishing on it. For not really telling the truth. That's even worse."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2344347

RFS62
02-25-2006, 04:27 PM
What if it was Carson Palmer? Think he'd still do it?

KronoRed
02-25-2006, 04:43 PM
What if it was Carson Palmer? Think he'd still do it?
Heh..just what I was thinking :devil:

max venable
02-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Right...It was probably someone he was going to cut anyway. So he uses this opportunity to teach a lesson. :thumbup:

alex trevino
02-25-2006, 05:00 PM
well it certainely is a way to send a message

traderumor
02-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Right...It was probably someone he was going to cut anyway. So he uses this opportunity to teach a lesson. :thumbup:The article said it may be a starter. I think questioning Marvin's integrity ought to begin and end with letting Takeo Spikes and Corey Dillon take their sorry prima donna acts elsewhere.

TeamBoone
02-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Which player(s) has an ax to grind with Chad?

max venable
02-25-2006, 05:41 PM
The article said it may be a starter. I think questioning Marvin's integrity ought to begin and end with letting Takeo Spikes and Corey Dillon take their sorry prima donna acts elsewhere.
So why didn't he just cut him right away? What, you wait 6 weeks and THEN send your message? I don't get it.

traderumor
02-25-2006, 05:57 PM
So why didn't he just cut him right away? What, you wait 6 weeks and THEN send your message? I don't get it.

So far, no one has identified the source of the storyThat's right from the story, as was the line about it potentially being a starter.

Heath
02-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Which player(s) has an ax to grind with Chad?

Chris Henry? Tab Perry? :dunno:

TeamBoone
02-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Maybe it's Henry... he's already in hot water as it is.

Chip R
02-25-2006, 08:15 PM
"Unfortunately, we had somebody else who was more selfish than Chad," Lewis said in discussing the incident.
I didn't think that was possible.

Salary cap reasons, more than likely. I believe the 1st few days of March is a time when NFL teams can get rid of players without having it adversly affect the salary cap. And it could be for PR reasons too. You release the guy right away and it's a story that festers the whole winter. Release him in March while March Madness and Spring Training is going on and it's not that big of a story. Of course coming out and saying you are going to release the guy for spilling the beans makes it a bigger story when and if you release him. It also opens up the can of worms about this again. At the time everybody tried to say it was being blown out of proportion and there wasn't much to it. Releasing a guy for telling the press about it sends the message that there was more to that than the Bengals let on. Was there a fist fight as was rumored? Was it just Chad offering advice on how to open up the offense or was he throwing a nutty because he wasn't getting his touches? Marvin has done a good job PR wise since he's been here. This isn't a good PR job.

TeamBoone
02-25-2006, 09:48 PM
At the time everybody tried to say it was being blown out of proportion and there wasn't much to it. Releasing a guy for telling the press about it sends the message that there was more to that than the Bengals let on. Was there a fist fight as was rumored? Was it just Chad offering advice on how to open up the offense or was he throwing a nutty because he wasn't getting his touches?

According to the story (who knows what's true, per the usual), Marvin was ticked that the "incident" was leaked and especially because it was "embellished".

traderumor
02-25-2006, 10:11 PM
I didn't think that was possible.

Salary cap reasons, more than likely. I believe the 1st few days of March is a time when NFL teams can get rid of players without having it adversly affect the salary cap. And it could be for PR reasons too. You release the guy right away and it's a story that festers the whole winter. Release him in March while March Madness and Spring Training is going on and it's not that big of a story. Of course coming out and saying you are going to release the guy for spilling the beans makes it a bigger story when and if you release him. It also opens up the can of worms about this again. At the time everybody tried to say it was being blown out of proportion and there wasn't much to it. Releasing a guy for telling the press about it sends the message that there was more to that than the Bengals let on. Was there a fist fight as was rumored? Was it just Chad offering advice on how to open up the offense or was he throwing a nutty because he wasn't getting his touches? Marvin has done a good job PR wise since he's been here. This isn't a good PR job.
It has nothing to do with the salary cap or any other conjecture. They simply don't know who it is yet.

Chip R
02-26-2006, 12:00 AM
It has nothing to do with the salary cap or any other conjecture. They simply don't know who it is yet.

So how does he know if he's releasing the right guy? What if he releases, for example, Chris Perry and it was really T.J. who was the leak? Marvin may be a good coach but he's stupid bringing this up again. If he's true to his word and releases the player who leaked this, what's Bengal Fan going to say if it was Rudi or T.J.? What if it was Carson - which is highly doubtful since he had problems of his own? More to the point, what is Mike Brown going to say if Marvin tells him to cut someone he owes a vault full of money to? What if he doesn't follow through with his threat/promise? Then it loks like he's either got a double standard or he's a liar or he's weak. They need to let sleeping dogs lie here. Nothing good is going to come from bringing all this back up. Marvin needs to plug leaks on his defense and not worry about leaks to the media.

WMR
02-26-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm a little torn on this... part of me agrees with Chip and thinks that Marvin should just let this little escapade fade away while another part of me agrees with Marvin that this is something that shouldn't be allowed to slide...

I think the story being embellished is what really got his goat... would I be willing to jettison T.J. over the matter if it was him? Nope.

GAC
02-26-2006, 03:49 AM
So how does he know if he's releasing the right guy? What if he releases, for example, Chris Perry and it was really T.J. who was the leak? Marvin may be a good coach but he's stupid bringing this up again. If he's true to his word and releases the player who leaked this, what's Bengal Fan going to say if it was Rudi or T.J.? What if it was Carson - which is highly doubtful since he had problems of his own? More to the point, what is Mike Brown going to say if Marvin tells him to cut someone he owes a vault full of money to? What if he doesn't follow through with his threat/promise? Then it loks like he's either got a double standard or he's a liar or he's weak. They need to let sleeping dogs lie here. Nothing good is going to come from bringing all this back up. Marvin needs to plug leaks on his defense and not worry about leaks to the media.

My sentiments exactly buddy. And he certainly doesn't need to be "advertising" or talking to the media about what actions he is gonna take. I understand that his intent is to get a message of unity across to the team, while also dealing with the "perpetrator(s)"; but he could have accomplished both of those objectives within the clubhouse, and not by speaking to the media over it. I think that, in and of itself, doesn't help that unity.

traderumor
02-26-2006, 03:47 PM
My sentiments exactly buddy. And he certainly doesn't need to be "advertising" or talking to the media about what actions he is gonna take. I understand that his intent is to get a message of unity across to the team, while also dealing with the "perpetrator(s)"; but he could have accomplished both of those objectives within the clubhouse, and not by speaking to the media over it. I think that, in and of itself, doesn't help that unity.

That would be great if it was your locker room, but its not. Sounds to me like Marvin is trying to smoke the varmint out using the press. Since there are many management styles that accomplish the same goal, I'll defer to the one in charge here and say that his track record with personnel issues has been successful.

As for Chip's concerns with Brown footing the bill for such a move if it was someone due a lot of money, he has let Marvin and Katie run the show since he hired him. I think he would be smart enough to trust his manager here too. That trust got him his first playoff appearance as owner, after all.

traderumor
02-26-2006, 03:51 PM
So how does he know if he's releasing the right guy? What if he releases, for example, Chris Perry and it was really T.J. who was the leak? Are you kidding? Do you think he would fire someone without that person admitting they were the one who said it, once he knew who to confront? You actually think he's just gonna take some wild guess and pull the hatchet out?

Reds4Life
02-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Marvin isn't stupid, he's probably got a pretty good idea who leaked it. He wouldn't have made the statement about cutting the player otherwise, he isn't going to set himself up to look like an idiot.

Dom Heffner
02-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Marvin isn't stupid, he's probably got a pretty good idea who leaked it. He wouldn't have made the statement about cutting the player otherwise, he isn't going to set himself up to look like an idiot.

I was thinking the exact same thing. He knows- he's just waiting to make an example-or perhaps he doesn't know and is trying to scare somebody and lessen the chance of it happening again.

GAC
02-26-2006, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=traderumor]That would be great if it was your locker room, but its not. Sounds to me like Marvin is trying to smoke the varmint out [QUOTE]

Then Marvin should have called me. If anyone has experience in "smoking out varmits", then it's me. ;)

I have always felt that Marvin has done a good job at controlling the clubhouse. And that is hard to do with any coach when one thinks of all the differing personalities and egos present.

I just personally think he shouldn't have mentioned this to the press, but possibly said "No comment. We are handling this in house."

Yachtzee
02-26-2006, 07:48 PM
I just personally think he shouldn't have mentioned this to the press, but possibly said "No comment. We are handling this in house."

I agree with you there. I think it would be best if Marvin just clamped down on the talk to the media and handled things behind the scenes. If someone wants to talk after they get cut, so be it.

traderumor
02-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Then Marvin should have called me. If anyone has experience in "smoking out varmits", then it's me. ;)

I have always felt that Marvin has done a good job at controlling the clubhouse. And that is hard to do with any coach when one thinks of all the differing personalities and egos present.

But here's the thing. Since Marvin's policy is hush hush whenever possible when it comes to media, he could be given the benefit of the doubt that he is attempting to use the media as a tool for handling this situation rather than simply looking at it as airing dirty laundry. Since he has a track record of not generally being a hypocrite, I think its all a part of his stragety for handling the situation.