PDA

View Full Version : Will Castellini Battle Steinbrenner for Piniella?

Red Hot Mama
02-26-2006, 11:59 AM
The New York Daily News has an article today (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/394747p-334683c.html) talking about George Steinbrenner's interest in Lou Piniella. I talk about the article and my feelings about Piniella on RHM:

http://www.red-hot-mama.com/comments.php?id=373_0_1_0_C

Before, the primary thing that scared me about Piniella was how he seemed to fall apart in Tampa Bay. Of course, that was unfair of me: Tampa Bay is about as dysfunctional an organization as there is.

Now the thing that scares me most is that Steinbrenner may well drive up his price.

MartyFan
02-26-2006, 12:12 PM
I think Tampa Bay WAS a dysfunctional organization that had an incredible knack for drafting high quality future superstars...too bad Lou caught on with the wrong group.

KronoRed
02-26-2006, 12:37 PM
In a bidding war with the Yanks we should quit before we start.

Red Hot Mama
02-26-2006, 12:47 PM
In a bidding war with the Yanks we should quit before we start.It's fine as long as we lose. :D

TeamBoone
02-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Are the Yankees getting rid of Torre? or vice versa.

Red Hot Mama
02-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Are the Yankees getting rid of Torre? or vice versa.The NY Daily News article says:

If Torre doesn't win it all this year, it wouldn't be at all surprising for Steinbrenner to pay him the $6 million he's owed for '08 and pay a like amount to Piniella just to keep him from signing on someplace else. Hey, it's only money.

harangatang
02-26-2006, 02:56 PM
Last time we were in a bidding war with the Yankees was when the Reds signed Eric Milton. If that kind of incompitence happens again I say absolutely not.

vaticanplum
02-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Are the Yankees getting rid of Torre? or vice versa.

It will really depend on how they perform this year. But Steinbrenner has relaxed quite a bit over the last few years and has more implicit trust in Torre (and Cashman for that matter). Plus, Georgie's getting old and doesn't have quite as much vitriol as he used to. He spoke a bit last year of how he'll be slowly starting to turn the team over to his son-in-law.

It's my opinion -- and this would have been unthinkable a few years ago -- that if Torre leaves, it will be of his own accord. It's still a lot of pressure to manage there, job security or not, and he may want to enjoy his life at some point. If Torre leaves, then I do think Piniella is a strong possibility, Steinbrenner adores him, but I don't know that Torre is on his way out within the next year or two.

Reds4Life
02-26-2006, 03:24 PM
We've been hearing for the last 3 years that Torre is going to get fired, and he's still there. I see Joe finishing his contract in NY.

That said, if Torre is out in NY it won't be a bidding war, Lou will sign with the Yankees.

Chip R
02-26-2006, 05:24 PM
We've been hearing for the last 3 years that Torre is going to get fired, and he's still there. I see Joe finishing his contract in NY.

That said, if Torre is out in NY it won't be a bidding war, Lou will sign with the Yankees.

Yeah. Every year we hear that Torre is on his way out and every year he comes back.

The Yankees have a better chance to win every year than we do. It's only natural that he would want to manage there if everything was equal.

forfreelin04
02-26-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't if Lou would want to coach in NY. If he has stated he would like to, please correct me but would he really want to take on all the baggage that comes with NY? Big Stein, overpaid player egos, not to mention all the pressure that comes from managing in the city itself? The mystique? I don't know but Lou has had a great deal of success in Cincy, the fans love him here, Hal Mccoy wants to have his baby, and Castellini seems to want to bring back what was once good about the Reds of yesteryear. I for one would love to see a few bases thrown around Great American. I can't remember the last time I saw a Reds manager get fired up for his team.

KronoRed
02-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Lou wants to win above all, the and yanks have a better chance then we do, we are years away from winning a series.

TeamBoone
02-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Maybe Torre would consider Cincinnati... he does have family ties here.

Or wouldn't the Reds want him?

forfreelin04
02-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Lou wants to win above all, the and yanks have a better chance then we do, we are years away from winning a series.

After too many years in TB, how could one blame him? But I think Sweet Lou would want more control over those winning ways. Seems to me that place would resemble Cincy over NY. I mean wasn't control one of the big problems at TB and when he was with us in the 90's?

Nugget
02-26-2006, 06:03 PM
OK Lou Pinella was a huge success for the REDS when he was here but shouldn't the REDS be looking forward to new glory years rather than looking back at the past to the old ones.

I'm sure there are more options for the REDS manager's job than Mr. Pinella.

Chip R
02-26-2006, 06:21 PM
I don't if Lou would want to coach in NY. If he has stated he would like to, please correct me but would he really want to take on all the baggage that comes with NY? Big Stein, overpaid player egos, not to mention all the pressure that comes from managing in the city itself? The mystique? I don't know but Lou has had a great deal of success in Cincy, the fans love him here, Hal Mccoy wants to have his baby, and Castellini seems to want to bring back what was once good about the Reds of yesteryear. I for one would love to see a few bases thrown around Great American. I can't remember the last time I saw a Reds manager get fired up for his team.

He played, managed, announced and was the GM there. If anyone knows what the pressures are with the Yankees, it's Lou. New York City has things to offer that Cincinnati cannot. And it isn't just money or having a team with a chance to win it all every year. With Marge gone, I don't think Lou has a thing in the world against Cincinnati. But it isn't New York City and the Reds are not the Yankees.

forfreelin04
02-26-2006, 06:32 PM
He played, managed, announced and was the GM there. If anyone knows what the pressures are with the Yankees, it's Lou. New York City has things to offer that Cincinnati cannot. And it isn't just money or having a team with a chance to win it all every year. With Marge gone, I don't think Lou has a thing in the world against Cincinnati. But it isn't New York City and the Reds are not the Yankees.

Certainly that is true Chip. But why take a job in Tampa instead of managing a bigger market team who had chances of winning in the immediate future? I dont think there has been, nor is there any pressure now to manage in Tampa. Maybe managing the suntan lotion.

Reds4Life
02-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Certainly that is true Chip. But why take a job in Tampa instead of managing a bigger market team who had chances of winning in the immediate future? I dont think there has been, nor is there any pressure now to manage in Tampa. Maybe managing the suntan lotion.

Lou was tired of making the cross country trip to Seattle and wanted to be close to home so he went with Tampa. They paid him very well and at the time there probably were not any big openings that interested him.

forfreelin04
02-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Lou was tired of making the cross country trip to Seattle and wanted to be close to home so he went with Tampa. They paid him very well and at the time there probably were not any big openings that interested him.

Understandable Reds4Life, but if he was so intent on winning why did he settle for the close drive? Or do you not think W's mattered to him at the time? Why not just wait another year or so and manage a team ready to compete for a World Series?

bianchiveloce
02-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Lots of Steinbrenner's ex-managers have decided to re-enlist for another Tour of the Bronx. Martin, Lemon, and Michael come to mind immediately. I could see Sweet Lou going back to the Yankees easily.

Chip R
02-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Understandable Reds4Life, but if he was so intent on winning why did he settle for the close drive? Or do you not think W's mattered to him at the time? Why not just wait another year or so and manage a team ready to compete for a World Series?

Perhaps he thought he would be the one to put them over the hump. Lou has a good sized ego you know. Perhaps he didn't realize fully what he was getting into.

Reds4Life
02-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Perhaps he thought he would be the one to put them over the hump. Lou has a good sized ego you know. Perhaps he didn't realize fully what he was getting into.

Plus the ownership fed him a line of BS about adding payroll, etc. They didn't come through, he bailed.

TeamBoone
02-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Or, maybe he'd prefer to work with his old teammates... Chamblis and Dent.

Blimpie
02-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Maybe Torre would consider Cincinnati... he does have family ties here.

Or wouldn't the Reds want him?That's what I was thinking, TB....I'm not so sure Torre would be ready to "go to the house" in he left the Yanks. I believe that his wife has quite a few relatives still in this area, no?