PDA

View Full Version : O'Brien Signing On With Brewers?

Red Hot Mama
02-26-2006, 10:53 PM
According to the Brewers' official site, former Reds general manager Dan O'Brien is interviewing for a position as consultant to the GM in Milwaukee over the next few days.

Read about it on Red Hot Mama. (http://www.red-hot-mama.com/comments.php?id=378_0_1_0_C)

You might already know that the Brewers signed Jason Romano to a minor league deal this week. How nice that they can be together again.:luvu:

Chip R
02-26-2006, 11:07 PM
According to the Brewers' official site, former Reds general manager Dan O'Brien is interviewing for a position as consultant to the GM in Milwaukee over the next few days.

Read about it on Red Hot Mama. (http://www.red-hot-mama.com/comments.php?id=378_0_1_0_C)

You might already know that the Brewers signed Jason Romano to a minor league deal this week. How nice that they can be together again.:luvu:

That's a big ol' ALG. ;)

KronoRed
02-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Still the brewers ;)

harangatang
02-26-2006, 11:15 PM
If the Brewers hire O'Brien that's one less team we have to worry about.:beerme:

doug flynn
02-26-2006, 11:39 PM
If Dano gets a front office position with the Brewers, Wayne should be pimping Dave Williams and Tony Womack for Ben Sheets. Sub Rich Aurilia for Womack, if Dano plays hardball.

TOBTTReds
02-26-2006, 11:44 PM
And just when the brewers started to deserve some respect...

MrCinatit
02-26-2006, 11:56 PM
"Now pitching for the Brewers, Eric Milton."

that has a nice ring to it.

harangatang
02-27-2006, 12:00 AM
I just got on Milwaukee's official website and there is a big picture of DanO the first thing on the front page. Yuck, Yuck, Yuck. RIP Brewers if he gets the job.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=mil

Gainesville Red
02-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Surely we've got some pieces he covets. John Allen for Turnbow. Hell, why stop there, maybe we can get Sheets.

Ron Madden
02-27-2006, 12:27 AM
The Brewers might be interviewing Dan to run the sausage race or to be the new Bernie Brewer. ;)

MrCinatit
02-27-2006, 01:19 AM
I just got on Milwaukee's official website and there is a big picture of DanO the first thing on the front page. Yuck, Yuck, Yuck. RIP Brewers if he gets the job.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=mil

if you look at the picture of the grinning Dan0, it says on the right side "Eat-a-me". hmmmmm. subliminal messages?
(btw, of coures the phrase spells out Great American Ballpark)

mbgrayson
02-27-2006, 02:19 AM
Our good friend Hal McCoy is reporting that Dano has been hired as a 'special assistant to the GM', and will do some scouting.

See THIS LINK (http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0227sidelines.html).

Book 'em Dano!

Mike

jmcclain19
02-27-2006, 02:44 AM
The guy has spent 20 years in baseball in the front office in some capacity or another. I'm sure he has something valuable to offer a lot of teams out there.

It just isn't as a General Manager

corkedbat
02-27-2006, 06:44 AM
The guy has spent 20 years in baseball in the front office in some capacity or another. I'm sure he has something valuable to offer a lot of teams out there.

VP of Binder Efficency

redsmetz
02-27-2006, 10:27 AM

I think O'Brien's personality left much to be desired, but reading Lonnie Wheeler's column in today's Cincinnati Post (2/27/06), I wonder what part the convaluted structure O'Brien operated under lent itself to his failure. Not completely, but somewhat. I think structurally, the Reds are in much better position, but I'm not sure that O'Brien, or for that matter, Miley, were given the ability to suceed. I suspect O'Brien will have something to bring to the Brewers in the scouting area and it probably comes at little cost to them. The Reds will absorb the difference in a straight salary. I wish him well, but he's welcome to take Tony Womack with him.... :)

westofyou
02-27-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure that O'Brien, or for that matter, Miley, were given the ability to suceed.

Poppycock, both drowned in jobs that were over their heads.

The time allotted to them to succeed could have overcome meddling and limitations if the concept of "imagination" was represented in either one of their offices during their tenure. As it stands the lack imagination has taken them to their former roles as soldiers.

Every army needs soldiers, not all of them are leaders though.

Chip R
02-27-2006, 11:06 AM
What does it say about the old boy network that DanO can get a job and Paul DePodesta cannot?

westofyou
02-27-2006, 11:09 AM
What does it say about the old boy network that DanO can get a job and Paul DePodesta cannot?
More than I'd care to think about.

BrooklynRedz
02-27-2006, 11:30 AM

Not much to be honest. From everything I've heard, DePo has chosen to lay low. If he were willing to take an advising position, he would have no shortage of opportunities.