PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread - 2/28/06 vs. Kia Tigers

Caseyfan21
02-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Never too early to get that first game thread of the spring up, eh? :beerme:

Reds are playing the Kia Tigers tomorrow after and according to Marc's blog, the lineup is as follows:

It's baaaaack...

SARASOTA -- Look, I understand what made this blog famous, back in the day. I know it wasn't my finely crafted prose or insightful restaurant reviews. So now, we're returning to our roots here. I have for you -- a day ahead of time! -- the first Reds starting lineup of the spring. No, really, no need to thank me. Just soak it all in, starting with a center fielder wearing No. 30...

Reds vs. Kia Tigers, Feb. 28, Ed Smith Stadium

Quinton McCracken, CF
Chris Denorfia, RF
Jason LaRue, C
Tuffy Rhodes, DH
Jacob Cruz, 1B
Frank Menechino, 2B
Earl Snyder, 3B
Ray Olmedo, SS
DeWayne Wise, LF
Dave Williams, P

Other pitchers slated to be available tomorrow: Matt Belisle, Todd Coffey, Jason Standridge, Mike Burns, Travis Chick, Tommy Phelps, Josh Hall and Jake Robbins.

Oddly enough, one of the pitchers slated to throw for Kia is Seth Greisinger, the right-hander the Detroit Tigers made the sixth overall pick in the 1996 draft. He's got a 5.51 ERA in 42 big-league appearances.

Other upcoming roster notes:

# Ken Griffey Jr. is expected to play in Wednesday's intrasquad game
# In addition to the previously announced Brandon Claussen, Luke Hudson will be the other starter in the intrasquad game
# Justin Germano will start Friday's split-squad home game against the Tigers, while Michael Gosling will get the ball Friday at the Twins. Homer Bailey also is scheduled to travel to Fort Myers.

Looks like we are sending out an All Star lineup for this one, a Bob Boone Sunday special perhaps.

And this has to be one of the earliest game threads ever in line with one of the earliest lineup releases ever. Will this game be broadcast locally (like 700 has done for early games in the past) or will we just be in suspense until an update from one of the writers or a poster?

Heath
02-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Never too early to get that first game thread of the spring up, eh? :beerme:

Reds are playing the Kia Tigers tomorrow after and according to Marc's blog, the lineup is as follows:

It's baaaaack...

SARASOTA -- Look, I understand what made this blog famous, back in the day. I know it wasn't my finely crafted prose or insightful restaurant reviews. So now, we're returning to our roots here. I have for you -- a day ahead of time! -- the first Reds starting lineup of the spring. No, really, no need to thank me. Just soak it all in, starting with a center fielder wearing No. 30...

Reds vs. Kia Tigers, Feb. 28, Ed Smith Stadium

Quinton McCracken, CF
Chris Denorfia, RF
Jason LaRue, C
Tuffy Rhodes, DH
Jacob Cruz, 1B
Frank Menechino, 2B
Earl Snyder, 3B
Ray Olmedo, SS
DeWayne Wise, LF
Dave Williams, P

Other pitchers slated to be available tomorrow: Matt Belisle, Todd Coffey, Jason Standridge, Mike Burns, Travis Chick, Tommy Phelps, Josh Hall and Jake Robbins.

Oddly enough, one of the pitchers slated to throw for Kia is Seth Greisinger, the right-hander the Detroit Tigers made the sixth overall pick in the 1996 draft. He's got a 5.51 ERA in 42 big-league appearances.

Other upcoming roster notes:

# Ken Griffey Jr. is expected to play in Wednesday's intrasquad game
# In addition to the previously announced Brandon Claussen, Luke Hudson will be the other starter in the intrasquad game
# Justin Germano will start Friday's split-squad home game against the Tigers, while Michael Gosling will get the ball Friday at the Twins. Homer Bailey also is scheduled to travel to Fort Myers.

Looks like we are sending out an All Star lineup for this one, a Bob Boone Sunday special perhaps.

And this has to be one of the earliest game threads ever in line with one of the earliest lineup releases ever. Will this game be broadcast locally (like 700 has done for early games in the past) or will we just be in suspense until an update from one of the writers or a poster?

Boy, I hope you wrote this with a tongue-in-cheek so hard you have a hole in your cheek.

:D

Chip R
02-27-2006, 12:23 PM

No radio till Thursday - although I'd give my left one to hear Joe pronounce those Korean names. :lol:

RBA
02-27-2006, 03:03 PM
CaseyFan21,

Great minds think alike. I was going to start a game thread. Pts for you. ;)

KronoRed
02-27-2006, 03:05 PM
That lineup is full of solid vet ness :D

redsfan30
02-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Sure does feel good to have baseball back!!!

RBA
02-27-2006, 03:18 PM

Looks like a traditional Reds Sunday Special.

BRM
02-27-2006, 03:22 PM

Average age - 34.6 years old.

registerthis
02-27-2006, 03:34 PM

Along with a hefty dose of knows-how-to-win-ness, with a dash of plays-the-game-the-right-way-ness.

registerthis
02-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Looks like a traditional Reds Sunday Special.

Those haven't been the same since Donnie Sadler left.

Danny Serafini
02-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Is there going to be any way to follow this game online since there's no radio broadcast? Does MLB.com run the Gameday thing with stats and such for spring training games?

Caseyfan21
02-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Boy, I hope you wrote this with a tongue-in-cheek so hard you have a hole in your cheek.

:D

Tounge in cheek??? Not at all, I'm just excited about the veteran lineup we are putting on the field. ;)

cumberlandreds
02-27-2006, 06:39 PM
That lineup looks scrappy to me.:beerme: Cheers to another season!

corkedbat
02-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Earl Snyder? Isn't he in the Hall of Fame?

wheels
02-27-2006, 06:53 PM
This looks like the All BadFundamentals team.

gm
02-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Before anyone gets too high or low on any Red's player/prospect performance in the next 6 weeks...remember this mantra

"IT'S ONLY SPRING TRAINING!"

(and NOW the games can begin)

Strikes Out Looking
02-27-2006, 07:46 PM
I believe many of the starters "know how to play the game."

captainmorgan07
02-27-2006, 08:19 PM
im intersted to see how they do and how williams pitches

jmcclain19
02-27-2006, 10:12 PM
I don't know if anyone speaks Korean, but here is the Kia Tigers website

http://www.tigers.co.kr/

And here is what looks to be their lineup

:cool:

*백팀 주요 타자 성적
1. 김민철(유격수) : 3타수 2안타 1삼진
2. 김원섭(중견수) : 3타수 무안타 1삼진
3. 임성민(우익수) : 3타수 2안타
4. 이재주(1루수) : 3타수 1안타 1득점
5. 신동주(좌익수) : 3타수 2안타 1타점 1득점
6. 김주형(3루수) : 3타수 무안타 1삼진
7. 백정훈(지명) : 2타수 1안타 1사사구
8. 차일목(포수) : 2타수 1안타 1타점 1사사구
9. 황연선(2루수) : 3타수 무안타

TOBTTReds
02-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Man, 임성민(우익수 is amazing. I can't believe he really hit 3타수 homeruns last year. How have no MLB teams signed him?:help:

BoydsOfSummer
02-27-2006, 10:38 PM
OOOOOOOoooohhhhh...a lineup! This means boxscores can't be far away....I'm giddy I tell ya's!

redskirtsrgood
02-28-2006, 03:13 AM
making the early call....anyone else jumping on the Luke Hudson comeback wagon with me. Go with a gut feeling on this one but maybe a little kick in the ass is what it takes.

Ron Madden
02-28-2006, 03:26 AM
Thanks Caseyfan21. :thumbup:

And a BIG :thumbup: to Marc Lancaster too.

Danny Serafini
02-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Kia's lineup is posted:

Yong-Kyu Lee, CF
Ji-Hwan Son, 2B
Sung-Ho Jang, 1B
Mike Cervenak, 3B
Jae-Joo Lee, DH
Kyeong-Eon Kim, LF
Sung-Min Lim, RF
Il-Mok Cha, C
Kyu-Sik Han, SS
Seth Greisinger, P

I wonder if Tigers fans complain about Ji-Hwan Son taking a roster spot from a younger player, or how Sung-Ho Jang is handling the transition to 1B?

Red Leader
02-28-2006, 12:21 PM

*백팀 주요 타자 성적

Amazing. I'm showing the same thing as the ingredients for my Green Tea.

Chip R
02-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Kia's lineup is posted:

Yong-Kyu Lee, CF
Ji-Hwan Son, 2B
Sung-Ho Jang, 1B
Mike Cervenak, 3B
Jae-Joo Lee, DH
Kyeong-Eon Kim, LF
Sung-Min Lim, RF
Il-Mok Cha, C
Kyu-Sik Han, SS
Seth Greisinger, P

I wonder if Tigers fans complain about Ji-Hwan Son taking a roster spot from a younger player, or how Sung-Ho Jang is handling the transition to 1B?

Ji-Hwan just knows how to play the game. ;)

corkedbat
02-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Lee,适汉只是零散 :D

David Cubbedge
02-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Anyone know when this game starts or when it started?

Also, anyone know for sure if there is somewhere we can get updates during the game?

KronoRed
02-28-2006, 01:04 PM
We'll crush em :cool:

Danny Serafini
02-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Anyone know when this game starts or when it started?

Also, anyone know for sure if there is somewhere we can get updates during the game?

Should be starting any minute now, don't know where to get updates though.

gonelong
02-28-2006, 01:11 PM

*백팀 주요 타자 성적

There is no way that 김주형(3루수) : 3타수 무안타 1삼진 should be hitting in the six hole, he needs to be in the 3 hole and 임성민(우익수) : 3타수 2안타 needs be moved to fifth with 신동주(좌익수) : 3타수 2안타 1타점 1득점 dropping to sixth.

This should be intuitively obvious to the casual observer.

GL

membengal
02-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Lancaster's blog says Williams got tattoo'd in the first, 5 runs, 2 earned.

Marc's blog:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

KronoRed
02-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Things are starting well for Dave

BRM
02-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Then, Dave Williams gave up five runs in the top of the first, two of them earned. Third baseman Earl Snyder booted a grounder that led to the unearned runs, but the big blow was Williams' fault. He gave up a 3-2, two-out, three-run homer to Lim Sung-min (my Korean name syntax has been corrected) that made it 5-0. Eight men came to the plate for Kia in the first. We'll see how long Williams lasts in this one.

Gainesville Red
02-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Nice start for Williams, wonder if Casey's grounded into any double plays yet for Pit.

Danny Serafini
02-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Good to see the team in regular season form already.

lollipopcurve
02-28-2006, 01:36 PM
I like Dave Williams to surprise in the second inning.

savafan
02-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Man, if the Cincinnati Injury Bug bites again this year, we could be seeing lineups like this in June. gO ReDz!

Red Leader
02-28-2006, 01:39 PM
I like Dave Williams to surprise in the second inning.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm giving rep points for that one! :laugh:

membengal
02-28-2006, 01:48 PM
UPDATE: Greisinger struck out the side for Kia in the bottom of the first, with singles by Denorfia and LaRue mixed in. Williams is already out of the game, with Jake Robbins coming on to start the second inning. LaRue is also done for the day, handing things off to Dane Sardinha behind the plate. We're gonna be here all day, I'm afraid.

That is also from Marc's fine blog.

As a Denorfia fan, good. Want to see him on this roster. Every little bit helps. If only he could pitch...

flyer85
02-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Now Williams is truly a Reds pitcher.

Caveat Emperor
02-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Tomorrow's headline for the Post:

WILLIAMS FLATTENED BY KIA
http://www.kia-picanto.com/enter02_01.gif

Chip R
02-28-2006, 01:58 PM
We're already in mid-season form, I see.

Danny Serafini
02-28-2006, 02:03 PM
It just keeps getting better:

SARASOTA -- We've completed two innings. The Reds trail 6-0 and have committed two errors. Dane Sardinha had the most recent one, gunning a throw into center field in an attempt to catch a runner stealing in the second. Guy came around to score on another single by my man Jang Sung-ho. In the bottom of the inning, Earl Snyder helped his chances by grounding into a room-service 6-4-3 double play. I think he was safe at first, but you won't hear me arguing.

Matt Belisle now on to start the third for the Redlegs.

registerthis
02-28-2006, 02:03 PM
See, this is the problem when you have someone who doesn't know how to win. After the first inning, it's debateable as to whether Williams even knows how to play the game the right way. Maybe Williams will have to live with being placed in the "wily vets" category.

registerthis
02-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Matt Belisle now on to start the third for the Redlegs.

I hope Matt looks good this spring. I'd like to see him get a look for a rotation spot.

Caseyfan21
02-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Still kickin'

SARASOTA -- Through four complete, it's still 6-0. Belisle pitched a perfect inning in the third and Coffey struck out the side in the fourth, with a single and an E-4 by Menechino mixed in. The Reds put two on with two out in the fourth but were retired when Lim made a nice running catch on a ball in the gap by Snyder.

Super_Barry11
02-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Belisle pitched a perfect inning in the third.

That's my boy!! :thumbup:

BRM
02-28-2006, 03:05 PM
From Marc -

SARASOTA -- Through five, it's 10-0 Kia. The Tigers put four on the board in the fifth, all charged to Travis Chick. The youngster gave up three doubles in the frame, including back-to-back two-run jobs that knocked him from the game with two outs in the inning. Tommy Phelps came in to mop up and is back out to start the sixth.

Regarding the photo, yes, I have a camera with me. Not one of my better efforts, but I just snapped it off real quick.

Dave Williams, by the way, wasn't overly concerned about his outing. Said he was focusing mainly on throwing strikes and was pleased with that.

"I’m not going to beat myself up," said Williams. "Hopefully you guys won’t either."

M2
02-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Hopefully after taking this sort of pummeling at the hands of Kia, someone will bust out a killed in action pun.

flyer85
02-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Hopefully after taking this sort of pummeling at the hands of Kia, at least we are not losing to Yugo.

Red Leader
02-28-2006, 03:19 PM
I wonder if Chuck Norris plays for Kia. :dunno:

Caseyfan21
02-28-2006, 03:26 PM
I wonder if there is a run rule in Korean baseball. :laugh:

11-2 now, we are making our push now. They do have a weak bullpen so I think we can pull it out. :)

BRM
The Reds score!!

SARASOTA -- The Reds finally broke through in the bottom of the sixth after giving up one more in the top of the inning.

Aaron Holbert ripped a double to left, Sardinha reached on an infield single and Tuffy walked to open the inning. Joey Votto then went 3-2 and drew a walk to force in the first run. Aaron Herr followed by grounding into a 4-6-3 DP that scored Sardinha before Derek Wathan grounded out to end it.

Going to the seventh, it's 11-2 Kia and Ryan Wagner is on the mound for the Reds.

Danny Serafini
WOOHOO! They're on the comeback trail!

SARASOTA -- The Reds finally broke through in the bottom of the sixth after giving up one more in the top of the inning.

Aaron Holbert ripped a double to left, Sardinha reached on an infield single and Tuffy walked to open the inning. Joey Votto then went 3-2 and drew a walk to force in the first run. Aaron Herr followed by grounding into a 4-6-3 DP that scored Sardinha before Derek Wathan grounded out to end it.

Going to the seventh, it's 11-2 Kia and Ryan Wagner is on the mound for the Reds.

Caseyfan21
02-28-2006, 03:30 PM
So maybe this is their secret, no 'alien materials'?

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/07/11/korean_baseball_play.html

If I recall, Bernie Stowe has used this in the past to keep Reds players cool during the warm summer months. I guess it's a no go in the Korean rules. :laugh:

KronoRed
02-28-2006, 03:32 PM
A walk to force in a run?

How unmanly!

flyer85
02-28-2006, 03:35 PM
A walk to force in a run?Certainly isn't how the game is supposed to be played.

registerthis
02-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Certainly isn't how the game is supposed to be played.

At least not by people who know how to win.

Heath
02-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Get a mouthful of cookies, forget the milk and yell ..."Aaron Herr"......

Cracks me up thinking about it.

Heath
02-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Dear Doctor -

There are 11 other folks (plus any invisible lurkers like Krono) reading this meaningless pre-spring training exhibition game thread against a AA Korean Team. Please help or advise.

Sincerely,
Me.

KronoRed
02-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Dear Heath,

It's hopeless.

Love,Doctor Spock

blumj
02-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Hey, I'm totally jealous. At least it's an actual game. We're still just waiting for Manny Ramirez to show up and Grandpa Wells to throw off a mound.

Red Leader
02-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Get a mouthful of cookies, forget the milk and yell ..."Aaron Herr"......

Cracks me up thinking about it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BRM
02-28-2006, 04:17 PM
No one has mentioned that one of the runs was scored with Aaron Herr's "productive out(s)"...

Sea Ray
02-28-2006, 04:24 PM
This sure is ugly but if more than a couple of these guys make the Reds team we're in trouble. These are not major league players we're throwing out there and most of them are not even prospects.

As for lefty Williams, let's hope he's not a parting gift from O'Brien (Milton II)

Aronchis
02-28-2006, 04:27 PM
This sure is ugly but if more than a couple of these guys make the Reds team we're in trouble. These are not major league players we're throwing out there and most of them are not even prospects.

As for lefty Williams, let's hope he's not a parting gift from O'Brien (Milton II)

Nah, 16 million less reasons why he isn't Milton.

Danny Serafini
02-28-2006, 04:31 PM
The torture has finally come to an end. Kia 12, Reds 4.

Doc. Scott
02-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Mercifully, the economy-car beating ends. But Anderson Machado looked good, playing up to his potential in an AAA-level game.

klw
02-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Kia Tigers- you can't stop them, you can only hope to contain them.

Sea Ray
02-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Nah, 16 million less reasons why he isn't Milton.

I hear you but Dave Williams isn't free either. Let's put it this way:

You'd think Sean Casey is worth more than a Jimmy Haynes though, wouldn't you?

Nugget
02-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Hey just to show how meaningless the scores and results in this part of ST is - the Rocket got lit up by a draft pick from last year in his first outing this year so I'm happy to wait for ST to start in earnest before I start crying over spilt milk.

Dunner44
02-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Hey just to show how meaningless the scores and results in this part of ST is - the Rocket got lit up by a draft pick from last year in his first outing this year so I'm happy to wait for ST to start in earnest before I start crying over spilt milk.

The rocket also got taken deep by his own kid in BP... and then sent one right in at the chin for lil Rockets next AB...

RedLegSuperStar
02-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Dave Williams surrendered five runs -- two earned -- in one inning of work today as the Reds lost to the Kia Tigers of Korea 12-4.
Imagine what they could do to the Marlins. Kia started right-hander Seth Greisinger, who allowed two hits in three scoreless innings. The other semi-familiar name in the lineup was former Giants minor leaguer Mike Cervanek. Prospect Travis Chick joined Williams in getting lit up, giving up four runs in the fifth inning. Matt Belisle, Todd Coffey and Mike Burns managed to turn in scoreless innings for the Reds.

Rotoworld.com

captainmorgan07
02-28-2006, 09:07 PM
ahh not a great start for the pitching staff

Ron Madden
03-01-2006, 03:59 AM
Well at least Aaron Herr manufactured a run.

I'm sure Narron, Marty and BF are tickeled to death. ;)

timmario66
03-01-2006, 09:29 AM
At least we can't lose today.;)

Correct that, I guess we can lose and win today unless there's a tie.:evil:

TeamBoone
03-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Wednesday, March 1, 2006
A bummer of a beginning
Pitcher Williams lasts one inning, allowing five runs, in his Reds debut
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SARASOTA, Fla. - If Opening Day were Monday, Dave Williams might be worried.

The left-hander, obtained for Sean Casey from the Pittsburgh Pirates in December, had a bit of a rough time in his first outing as a Red. He allowed five runs - two earned - on four hits in one inning of Cincinnati's 12-4 loss to the Kia Tigers of South Korea Tuesday.

"Am I going to kill myself over it? Probably not," Wilson said of his performance. "If it was later, near the start of season, I probably would."

Williams said he was trying to get out of the inning without walking anyone. He did that.

But he threw a hanging 3-2 pitch to Sung-Min Lim, who hit the ball out for a three-run homer.

"You get a pitch up like that to anyone and they're going to hit it out," Williams said.

Williams threw 35 pitches, so the Reds did not send him out for the second inning.

"He didn't have the feel for his pitches, and he's a feel guy," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "He was up in the zone."

Said Williams: "The next outing, I'll look to improve - I gave myself a lot of room for it."

Williams, 26, is penciled in as one of the Reds' five starters. He was 10-11 with a 4.41 ERA for Pittsburgh last year.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060301/SPT04/603010372/1071