PDA

View Full Version : Report: Huggins up for USF job (2/28)

TeamBoone
02-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Tuesday, February 28, 2006
Report: Huggins up for USF job
THE ENQUIRER

Former UC coach Bob Huggins is in the mix to become South Florida's next head basketball coach, according to a report posted on SI.com Monday.

The Web site said Huggins' attorney, Richard Katz, has had a number of conversations with USF boosters.

"... there is really a groundswell here amongst some of the core guys to bring Huggins in," a USF booster told SI.com.

The Bulls, who are 6-21 overall, and 0-14 in the Big East, will not qualify for the conference tournament, which starts March 8. USF coach Robert McCullum is not expected to return.

According to SI.com, there are roadblocks: USF president Judy Genshaft is said to be good friends with UC president Nancy Zimpher.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060228/SPT0101/602280382/1064/SPT

KronoRed
02-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Not a bad place to go.

Dom Heffner
02-28-2006, 02:13 PM
USF president Judy Genshaft is said to be good friends with UC president Nancy Zimpher.

My dear lord, Huggins at my old school. I would jump through the roof.

I am staring at Juddy's faux signature on my diploma right now and can't help to feel sorry for Bob, though, if he ends up here.

I was pretty close with some faculty who had major problems with her and she seems so mean (although when I walked across the stage to shake her hand at my graduation I pretended to kiss it first and it made her laugh, so at least she isn't 100% evil).

What a terrific day it would be for this school if he got the job.

Reds4Life
02-28-2006, 02:41 PM
The Cincy media and Seth Davis are a bit late, this has been rumored for months. It would be a pretty good fit for Huggs, one of his supporters is none other than the boss, George Steinbrenner.

One has to wonder how long Zimpher will be around UC, her contract is up next year, and it hasn't been renewed yet. From what I hear if the coaching decision at UC doesn't go well she's done.

WVRed
02-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Question of the day.

Does OJ Mayo and Bill Walker follow Huggins to South Florida?

Matt700wlw
02-28-2006, 02:59 PM
According to SI.com, there are roadblocks: USF president Judy Genshaft is said to be good friends with UC president Nancy Zimpher.

:p:

Reds4Life
02-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Question of the day.

Does OJ Mayo and Bill Walker follow Huggins to South Florida?

According to former UC player Terry Nelson, yes. Jason Bennett, a 7-3 senior that old UC to forget it when they fired Huggins, goes to high school in florida. Current UC assistant, and Huggins friend, Frank Martin was a big time AAU coach in Miami.

If Huggins takes that job I see Martin bailing out on UC and going with Huggins, even if Kennedy gets the UC job (which I still have mixed feelings on) he could be left with no staff at all.

Reds4Life
02-28-2006, 06:58 PM
So much for those rumors.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2348447

South Florida's season is ending this weekend and Robert McCullum's tenure with the Bulls is expected to continue into next season, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

Multiple sources told ESPN.com that South Florida athletic director Doug Woolard wants to give McCullum another season in the Big East. The Bulls (6-21) are currently 0-14 in the Big East with two games left -- against Connecticut and Georgetown at home this weekend.

McCullum is in his third year at the school after coming over from Western Michigan. Sources said Woolard wants to give McCullum at least four years to make improvement. This is South Florida's first season in the Big East.

Reports on SI.com and in The Tampa Tribune said that boosters were trying to buy out McCullum and bring in former Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins. Multiple sources told ESPN.com that wasn't going to happen as long as the decision was up to South Florida's administration, not the boosters.

McCullum entered the season at 21-36 at South Florida.

Lets see, 0-14 in the Big East this year and a 36% winning percentage going into this season and they are going to keep him. BRILLIANT!

Dom Heffner
02-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Lets see, 0-14 in the Big East this year and a 36% winning percentage going into this season and they are going to keep him. BRILLIANT!

No one said we were smart down here....

Matt700wlw
02-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Huggs to Temple! :D

Reds4Life
02-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Lets fire Nancy and then...............................Huggs to Cincinnati! :D