PDA

View Full Version : Rijo teaches Ramon Ortiz a new slider that makes him feel happy

savafan
03-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Goofy subject title, I know...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/02/AR2006030201651.html

By Dave Sheinin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 3, 2006; Page E10

VIERA, Fla., March 2 -- The first pitch Ramon Ortiz threw for Jose Rijo during an impromptu audition in the Dominican Republic this winter was clocked at 96 mph. Rijo, a special assistant to Washington Nationals General Manager Jim Bowden, immediately called his boss and said, "Jim, I think this guy could be a real sleeper."

The Nationals signed Ortiz, 32, to a one-year deal in December, and on Thursday he made his first appearance of the spring, stretching out to 50 pitches over three innings in a 9-1 loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Ortiz, who is expected to win one of the Nationals' three rotation spots up for grabs this spring, debuted a new slider taught to him by Rijo and struggled some with his command -- issuing three walks during the second inning -- but impressed his new team with the life on his pitches.

"I like what I saw," pitching coach Randy St. Claire said.

"I like his arm," Manager Frank Robinson said. "He has a live arm."

Ortiz said he was not too worried about the control problems because of his unfamiliarity with the new slider, which has a sharper bite and tighter spin than his old one.

"For my first game in spring training," he said, "I feel happy."

Joseph
03-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Do you have to list former Red on your resume to work for the Nats?

Every person mentioned in this article was a Red in some fashion.

Superdude
03-04-2006, 12:55 AM
I think we had the same idea last year to pick up a cheap live arm, but it just ended in sloppy haircuts, lots of longballs, and a 5+ERA. It's good to see that Ortiz is still "happy" though! :thumbup: