PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting MLB radio....

Gainesville Red
03-04-2006, 11:35 AM
or whatever it's called on MLB.com. How is it? Sounds reasonably priced? Does it work well? I thought I read that someone said it kept cutting out the other day, that's not constant is it? Looking for some feedback.

JinAZ
03-04-2006, 11:49 AM
or whatever it's called on MLB.com. How is it? Sounds reasonably priced? Does it work well? I thought I read that someone said it kept cutting out the other day, that's not constant is it? Looking for some feedback.

I subscribed to the radio bit (not the TV) for the '04 season. It worked well, with only a few hiccups during the season that prevented me from hearing a game or two (I listened at work, which is a university and has high speed internet). I'd guess that it's probably better now. It was nice to be able to listen to so many different games while working. -JinAZ

Gainesville Red
03-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I'd only get the radio. I'll buy ExtraInnings when the season starts, but for now it seems like $15 is well worth hearing spring training games, and games not on EI during the year. Plus I've never gotten to hear Marty in action. With all the criticism/praise he gets I'd like to be able to make up my own mind. Anyone else w/ advice? I'm making my move (if a move is made) at 1:00 so I can listen to NYY/CIN.

Doc. Scott
03-04-2006, 12:24 PM
The radio's a really good deal if you don't live in WLW range and you don't want to pay a monthly fee for XM radio.

Unfortunately, this year they make you pay before you get to listen to the ST games. Last year they were advertised as being "free" although the price for the season was the same.

Radio doesn't take up bandwidth like TV/video, but a dial-up connection will be prone to drops and such. I think there's only one bandwidth choice for radio, too, not high and low like many other Internet feeds.

Yachtzee
03-04-2006, 12:27 PM
$15 for the whole season is a good deal. When I had it before, I thought it was great that you could choose the home or away feed. I was able to hear Ernie Harwell in his last season with the Tigers, Harry Kalas for the Phillies, Dave Niehaus for the Mariners,...the list goes on. The only drawback is that you get tied to the computer.

Gainesville Red
03-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Can you get any type of pregame, postgame?

Gainesville Red
03-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Nevermind, it's on. Thanks for the help guys.

jnwohio
03-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Seems to me WLW's feed to MLB usually includes the pregame and post game.

What I really like about the MLB radio is that it is an archive. You can go back and listen to any game at anytime. Let me qualify that a little bit. I don't know for a fact that you can go several months back but certainly a week or more. Where I work streaming is blocked; and AM radio (even the BigOne) does not penetrate at my desk. So on the businessmen's day specials, I follow the score by periodically going to the breakromm (where AM does make it) then come home and fastforward to listen to the highlights.

I have never had any serious drops at home (broadband via cable). A couple of times I have listened on the road via dial up and also not had any problems.

redsfan30
03-04-2006, 01:06 PM
I signed up last year. Not only do you get the Spring Training games, but you get the whole season and archieved broadcasts from the prior season.

Well worth the $15.

Gainesville Red
03-04-2006, 01:16 PM
So I've had it for a total of 20 min. and it's already feels worth it. Just hearing Marty talk about the game starting late unless you're in Cincinnati was great. He said the Yankee's think they can get away with anything they want.

VI_RedsFan
03-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Does anyone know how much it costs to get MLBTV for my computer? I was checking out the Reds schedule on mlb.com and it looks like there will only be one nationally televised game. They aren't even televising their opening day game like they always do on ESPN. I can't watch FSN Ohio because I don't live anywhere near Ohio. I hear that MLBTV is pretty good and I hope you guys can help me out here.

MasonBuzz3
03-04-2006, 03:01 PM
I think the MLBTV is about $80 for the entire season. I have had it for the past two seasons and I feel that it is well worth the price and as an added bonus sometimes you can watch the reds on the opponents broadcast, so you don't have to hear george and chris. I might wait to buy it this season though to see if FSN Ohio is going to show Reds games all over Ohio now that the Indians have their own network.

tts1stros
03-04-2006, 03:34 PM
I've gotten MLB audio the last two seasons, and I promise it's well worth the price. Only $15 to listen to every single game? An excellent deal.

You get the pregame and postgame shows too.

VI_RedsFan
03-04-2006, 03:34 PM
I think the MLBTV is about $80 for the entire season. I have had it for the past two seasons and I feel that it is well worth the price and as an added bonus sometimes you can watch the reds on the opponents broadcast, so you don't have to hear george and chris. I might wait to buy it this season though to see if FSN Ohio is going to show Reds games all over Ohio now that the Indians have their own network.

Thanks Mason.

Caveat Emperor
03-04-2006, 03:54 PM
I've been an avid MLB radio subscriber every year since 2000, and I love the service.

There's nothing better than finding a wireless hotspot somewhere, opening up the laptop, and enjoying a little Reds baseball.

Gainesville Red
03-04-2006, 03:59 PM
The Reds broadcast is real choppy. It's not always like that, right?

traderumor
03-04-2006, 04:27 PM
I don't think there is a less reluctant $15 I spend than to have the ability to listen to various day games at work during the season, including the few the Reds have. Makes a lot of afternoons fly by once the season starts.

Reds Nd2
03-04-2006, 05:12 PM
The Reds broadcast is real choppy. It's not always like that, right?

Not sure what you mean by choppy? It sounded fine on my end today but there did seem to be some dead air issues when Marty and Steve weren't talking. I think that probably has more to do with broadcasting from Legends Field though. It should be better when they get back to Cincinnati.