PDA

View Full Version : Perez is the future behind the plate

savafan
03-04-2006, 12:41 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060304/SPT04/603040334/1071

BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SARASOTA, Fla. - Miguel Perez has read about how good he is defensively.

"But I am still working on my defense," he said. "I know I can get better."

Perez, a 22-year-old Venezuelan, is considered the future of Reds catching.

"He's solid," said bullpen catcher Mike Stefanski, who coaches the catchers. "He throws well. He loves to throw. He's a big target. He blocks well, moves well.

"He has everything it takes to catch in the big leagues."

Perez was named the Reds' minor-league defensive player of the year. He spent most of the year at Single-A Sarasota, where he hit .268 with four home runs and 33 RBI in 80 games.

The Reds thought enough of him to bump him up to Triple-A when Dane Sardinha got hurt. Perez struggled at the plate - .208, one home run, five RBI in 21 games - but he held his own defensively.

The Reds rewarded Perez with a September call-up to the big leagues.

Perez's bat probably will determine how soon he gets a longer stint in the big leagues.

Sardinha is ahead of Perez for now on the depth chart. But Sardinha turns 27 on April 8.

"I would like to be there now," Perez said. "But I'm still getting experience."

WILSON UPDATE: Right-hander Paul Wilson continues to make progress in his rehabilitation from shoulder surgery.

He takes another big step Sunday when he throws to live hitters.

"I'm on a five-day plan," he said. "It's going good - no problems."

Wilson still is not scheduled to pitch in a game.

"He'll work up to throwing about 45, 50 pitches in a simulated game," trainer Mark Mann said. "After that, we'll schedule him in a game."

MILTON OK: Eric Milton has been able to continue throwing, despite his strained calf.

"I've thrown two bullpens since it happened," he said. "It doesn't bother me. I just don't want to pull it running to cover first or something like that."

Milton injured the calf doing calisthenics.

"We're taking it day-to-day," Milton said.

MERCKER UPDATE: Kent Mercker is still recovering from a strained lat muscle. He has yet to throw in a game.

"I'm taking advantage of the fact that spring training is 6-and-a-half weeks long," he said. "I don't want to go one step forward, two steps back."

BERGOLLA UPDATE: A second examination in Cincinnati confirmed that William Bergolla does not have a hernia. He suffers from a high groin strain.

M2
03-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Man, Sarasota is turning into mirage central this spring. No one doubts Miguel Perez can catch. It's his inability to hit that's the concern. Calling him a Judy hitter would be an insult to Judy.

Meanwhile Mike Gosling, who lost his heater to shoulder surgery, and Justin Germano, who did nothing to impress yesterday, get feature articles. At least it looks like Travis Chick, who never was going to make this team, cemented himself on the first cut list yesterday.

traderumor
03-04-2006, 01:01 PM
A hitting catcher is a bonus. I'll take defense and handling pitchers as the most critical requirements for that position.

ochre
03-04-2006, 01:17 PM
A hitting catcher is a bonus. I'll take defense and handling pitchers as the most critical requirements for that position.
Sure, if by 'hitting catcher' you mean 'Johnny Bench'. I think people would be a bit surprised if he hits as well as Tom Glavine at this point.

KronoRed
03-04-2006, 01:23 PM
How many 'no hit good D catchers' have the Reds drafted in the past few years?

savafan
03-04-2006, 01:24 PM
How many 'no hit good D catchers' have the Reds drafted in the past few years?

I think they drafted around 30 of them last year alone. :eek:

VI_RedsFan
03-04-2006, 01:30 PM

Amen to that. I'm totally cool with Perez being the future catcher.

Gainesville Red
03-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Are they still talking about turning Justin Tordi drafted from UF last year as a shortstop into a catcher? If so, that'll be another catcher that can't hit.

M2
03-04-2006, 02:59 PM

You've got to be able to do something at the plate to stay on the field. No one gets to not hit. Perez right now profiles as a Henry Blanco wannabe.

IslandRed
03-04-2006, 03:03 PM

Well, sure. But no matter how stellar a guy is behind the plate, there's still a minimum level of offense he has to produce to keep a regular job, and it's a legitimate question as to whether Perez will ever meet even that low threshold.

Edit: Once again, beaten to the point as I'm typing. Maybe I need to spend less time pretending to be a good writer.

traderumor
03-04-2006, 05:06 PM
You've got to be able to do something at the plate to stay on the field. No one gets to not hit. Perez right now profiles as a Henry Blanco wannabe.
I was thinking more Brad Ausmus with the no-hit/excellent D profile. Blanco's very good defensively, but not in the same league as Ausmus. Of course, Perez would likely have to be on a team that covered his offensive shortcomings. He would have to be in the right situation, but all I'm saying is if there is a position that I'll take an outright liability at the plate, it's catcher if the D is good enough.

jmcclain19
03-04-2006, 05:33 PM
I was thinking more Brad Ausmus with the no-hit/excellent D profile. Blanco's very good defensively, but not in the same league as Ausmus. Of course, Perez would likely have to be on a team that covered his offensive shortcomings. He would have to be in the right situation, but all I'm saying is if there is a position that I'll take an outright liability at the plate, it's catcher if the D is good enough.

Actually TR - that's not a bad comparison

If you look at Ausmus early in his career - he spent parts of six seasons in the minors before breaking into the majors at the age of 24

Ausmus - 6 Minor League Seasons
1933PA - .258AVG/.329OBP/.327SLG

Perez - 5 Minor League Seasons
1289PA - .280AVG/.321OBP/.333SLG

He proved he was way in over his head at AAA last year, and has tailored off since hitting well in Rookie ball, and I'd worry more than a little that his +OBP is 20 points less than Ausmus.

But there is some hope there.

traderumor
03-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Actually TR - that's not a bad comparison

If you look at Ausmus early in his career - he spent parts of six seasons in the minors before breaking into the majors at the age of 24

Ausmus - 6 Minor League Seasons
1933PA - .258AVG/.329OBP/.327SLG

Perez - 5 Minor League Seasons
1289PA - .280AVG/.321OBP/.333SLG

He proved he was way in over his head at AAA last year, and has tailored off since hitting well in Rookie ball, and I'd worry more than a little that his +OBP is 20 points less than Ausmus.

But there is some hope there.
Yea, that was the thing I noticed about Ausmus that helps his case. Miguel could make himself quite useful with taking a few more pitches, especially when he is likely never going to do more than hit in front of a pitcher if he ever makes the bigs. Now, mind you, I know Perez has the physical defensive tools, but I have no idea how he is at handling pitchers. Those are two things he will definately have to do to give hmself a chance to make a few years of the big money, though.

I guess when I'm looking at setting the bar for someone like Perez, best case scenario is to develop into an Ausmus type. Worst case scenario is Dane Sardhina, part deaux. Henry Blanco would be somewhere in between.

Superdude
03-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Miguel Perez, Craig Tatum, Dane Sardinha, Justin Tordi. I don't think an pitcher is fretting about the possibility of facing these guys. That's probably why I'm abnormally high on the Lonny Roa and Robert Coello.

George Foster
03-05-2006, 12:35 AM

I'll take Mike Piazza in his prime anyday over Jason Larue..your wrong on this one. You can get better defensively as Mike did. You can't hitting. Either you got it or you don't. My old friend Tracy Jones says that your batting average is set in stone after 1000 major league at bats. He played in the big leagues.

OnBaseMachine
03-05-2006, 09:23 AM
That's probably why I'm abnormally high on the Lonny Roa and Robert Coello.

Who is this Coello cat? I see that he was a 20th round pick in 2004 but it looks like he never signed. Do you know something on him that we don't?