PDA

View Full Version : Brian Kenny

OnBaseMachine
03-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Brian Kenny from ESPN is a great baseball announcer?

I've been listening to his broadcast Spring Training games the last few days, and I have to say I have came away impressed. On more than one occasion I have heard him mention on-base percentage, OPS, and WHIP when talking about a player. Those are stats I love to hear while listening or watching a game. I hope ESPN has him doing quite a few regular season games this season...also wouldn't mind seeing him on Baseball Tonight some.

blark11
03-06-2006, 01:39 PM
when he hosts the hot list on espn news those are the stats he talks about when discussing players with analysts also

Highlifeman21
03-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Brian Kenny from ESPN is a great baseball announcer?

I've been listening to his broadcast Spring Training games the last few days, and I have to say I have came away impressed. On more than one occasion I have heard him mention on-base percentage, OPS, and WHIP when talking about a player. Those are stats I love to hear while listening or watching a game. I hope ESPN has him doing quite a few regular season games this season...also wouldn't mind seeing him on Baseball Tonight some.

Word out of Bristol is that Brian Kenny is using Spring Training as a two pronged attacked: On the job training and an audition. Look for guys like Harold Reynolds, Karl Ravich, Dave Campbell and John Kruk to do games for ESPN down the road along with Kenny. Jon Miller and Joe Morgan keep getting increasingly lower and lower ratings on Sunday nights.

kbrake
03-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Today sounded like he really had a thing for Marte, but yeah I think he is pretty good.

Cyclone792
03-06-2006, 04:54 PM
I heard a little bit of Kenny this afternoon and I enjoyed him. Hopefully ESPN realizes Kenny and some of their other guys may be quite a bit better than some of the guys they have broadcast games now (read: Joe Morgan and Steve Phillips).

Then again, any company that charges money to read articles by Joe Morgan and Steve Phillips has a lot more balls than I do. I don't think I could do it with a straight face.

TOBTTReds
03-06-2006, 04:59 PM
I really like listening to Jon Miller. I think his voice is great for the games. Maybe I have gotten used to our announcers and I don't listen to games for insight, I listen to hear them get called. A game can be great to listen to if the voice is right, and I know some might disagree with me, but I don't like listening to Dan Hoard or Steve Stewart doing play by play. I just think their voices are terrible. Give me a good singer, and I'll show you a good play-by-play announcer.

Heath
03-06-2006, 05:12 PM
I could handle Wednesday Night games with Brian Kenny and Soup Campbell.

Strikes Out Looking
03-06-2006, 05:17 PM
ESPN has announced that Gammons will be added to the Sunday night game this year. He'll be in the booth and also be in the stands during the game.

Maybe we'll see him getting a call from Leatherpants during the broadcast!

scounts22
03-06-2006, 05:33 PM
I really like listening to Jon Miller. I think his voice is great for the games. Maybe I have gotten used to our announcers and I don't listen to games for insight, I listen to hear them get called. A game can be great to listen to if the voice is right, and I know some might disagree with me, but I don't like listening to Dan Hoard or Steve Stewart doing play by play. I just think their voices are terrible. Give me a good singer, and I'll show you a good play-by-play announcer.

I agree with you, I don't mind Jon Miller. He has a nice voice.

But I'd much rather listen to Steve Stewart on the radio than the long droaning silences we usually get from The Old Left-Hander!

TOBTTReds
03-06-2006, 06:47 PM
I agree with you, I don't mind Jon Miller. He has a nice voice.

But I'd much rather listen to Steve Stewart on the radio than the long droaning silences we usually get from The Old Left-Hander!

haha...I do agree. But Joe doesn't exactly have a nice voice either.

redsfan30
03-06-2006, 09:43 PM
The only thing that gets under my skin in regards to Jon Miller is his pronounciation of certain names.

Timo Pear-ez

Rafeal Four-call

I like his calls on double plays where on the turn to first for the second out he emphasizes "two!"

For the most part, I like him.

halcyon
03-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Kenny is one of the few ESPNews anchors to actually stand out to me. He appears to be open to new ideas, conducts entertaining and informative interviews and brings a certain energy to broadcasts. I haven't heard him doing baseball play by play but I think he certainly deserves a bigger role at ESPN.

jmcclain19
03-07-2006, 01:28 AM
Kenny usually has Rob Neyer or Joe Sheehan on for the Hot List on ESPNews during the mid afternoon, and doesn't sound remotely out of place when talking about baseball stats (although his fillins do sound quite ridiculous on the same subjects).

Worth watching if you're around. It's really the only ESPN I watch anymore.

Jr's Boy
03-07-2006, 02:25 AM
Bryan Kenny is a great,been watching him hosting Espn's Friday night Fights for a few years.I've been impressed with his baseball coverage.Go to espn.com and search Brian Kenny vs.Floyd Mayweather and see him go toe to toe with the pound for pound best fighter in the world,one heckuva verbal clash.lol
''Pretty Boy Floyd trades punches with Brian Kenny''

jmcclain19
03-07-2006, 02:41 AM
Bryan Kenny is a great,been watching him hosting Espn's Friday night Fights for a few years.I've been impressed with his baseball coverage.Go to espn.com and search Brian Kenny vs.Floyd Mayweather and see him go toe to toe with the pound for pound best fighter in the world,one heckuva verbal clash.lol
''Pretty Boy Floyd trades punches with Brian Kenny''

I love how Mayweather dropped the old "You've never been in a fight so you know nothing about boxing" asinine line on Kenny.

that was good for a laugh. Thanks

Jpup
03-07-2006, 02:57 AM
Kenny is pretty good, but I can't think about baseball when I hear his voice. All I can think of is boxing.

As a broadcaster, he is light years away from many of the ESPN guys like Miller, O'brien, and Schulman. Those guys are much better, IMO.

JinAZ
03-09-2006, 10:53 PM

I'm watching the Puerto Rico/Netherlands game on Tivo right now, and Brian Kenny is annoucing it. First time I've seen one of his games and I'm very impressed. It's not just that he is very aware of modern statistical research (he just commented on Andruw Jones batting fourth, citing the additional at-bats that a #3 hitter will receive over the course of a year compared to the #4 hitter...actually said the world "sabermatrics" on the air...also briefly touched upon major league equivalencies), he's just obviously a student of the game and has done his homework. He knows all sorts of tidbits about each player, even the unknown Netherlands players (compare this to the terrible job ESPN did reporting on the Asian players last weekend...all I heard about was Ichiro Suzuki in each Japanese game). Kenny also seemsvery able to talk about baseball strategy at both the management level as well as the player level...and in a depth that you rarely hear.

I will say that he's not as smooth as Jon Miller (who I also like). Sometimes Kenny's speech is a bit stilted. But I'm already ready to say that I would much rather listen to him than any other TV annoucer I've heard call a game. Much more interesting. I mean this game is almost irrelevant, even in the WBC, and I'm captivated.
-JinAZ